The Montbello Station, Denver, CO, is in the Colorado/Wyoming District of the Western Area. The Montbello Station has 45 delivery routes (19 city and 26 rural) delivered by 66 carriers (27 city and 39 rural). We selected the Montbello Station based on our analysis of city carriers returning after 6:00 p.m. data from the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).
The OIG obtained and analyzed operational indicators for the workload and workforce of Montbello Station for fiscal years (FY) 2018 and 2019. We identified:
- Increases in possible deliveries.
- Decreases in mail volume arriving in delivery point sequence (DPS) and from the Flats Sequencing System (FSS).
- An increase in mail volumes requiring manual sortation by carriers, known as cased volume.
- An increase in the number of packages.
- An increase in overtime workhours.
Our objective was to assess mail delivery services at the Montbello Station in Denver, CO.