• Reply to: Pricing and Price Caps   2 years 2 months ago

I just noticed that the PARCEL POST RATE is now just as high and often a bit higher than that of PRIORITY MAIL rates and the Parcel Post rate doesn't even exist now for Large Letter category. WTF??? Who is the lobotomized person or committee that came up with this foolishness.

Priority is supposed to be delivered quicker than Parcel Post, so why isn't the Parcel Post rate lower to reflect that? In other words, since the Parcel Post rate is as high and higher, there really isn't a Parcel Post feature to attract customers that don't need the quicker delivery.

Another thing, who raised the rates so high for the Priority Mail boxes that supposedly ships whatever fits regardless of weight? This just drove me to stop even considering using USPS for anything anymore. Nsda, nothing, zilch, fhaget-abouht-it.

It's not hard to see why the USPS can't operate in the black, there's no one there that understands how to run it like a business. If you want to get out of debt and start making money, do like McDonald's did - lower your prices and beat your competition. Remember McDonald's golden arches and their "Over a Billion Sold" (a very long time ago, now it's closer to INFINITY SOLD).

The USPS, instead of operating smartly and making prices appealing to people who would mail/ship stuff that they now resist sending or use other means to ship, if at all, would be making astounding profits each year if they weren't pricing and pushing themselves away from increasing volume - again, McDonald's thrived and exploded in growth and revenue NOT from being as much as or more expensive than others BUT by lower pricing, getting more and more customers to spent their money there instead of elsewhere.

I use couriers and truckers my stuff to locations that then use on-call delivery people to drop off consolidated shipments to businesses and residential homes on a variable schedule with options for expedited delivery as-needed by the addressee or by local pickup. I save a lot, a whole lot, especially since USPS pricing has gone so high and keeps going higher. The USPS is a dying enterprise - it's bloated with highly paid executives and workers, can't operate cost effectively and thinks that they need to raise prices to stay afloat when they've driven and lost a lot of mailings that they wouldn't have to e-bill paying, emailing, post cards, etc, if they'd kept the rates low to keep people in the habit of using the USPS for those services instead of raising the cost to where they found it worth it to drop the USPS for those services. Now the USPS is doing the same to all their remaining mailing services - driving the costs to use them so that their competitors are getting more and more of the revenue that used to be the USPS and spurring the development of enticing and cost-effective alternative delivery sources that will fill the niche that UPS and FedEx ignore but all these sources will provide services that will fit societies needs and result in the end days for the USPS.

The USPS has no one to blame but themselves.

• Reply to: Is it Time for a Uniform Approach to Uniforms?   2 years 2 months ago

Well, if city or rural carriers start to work on tour one or adjusted schedule, like the rest of the post office craft, then I would recommend some type of fluorescent color like construction workers wear. Or, a material similar that which creates luminescence to protect workers. It should be standard anyway instead of the blue type because even the day workers could use it on cloudy/rainy snowy days to protect them. It's pretty much become a standard for the construction trades, and highway workers.

HAVE BEEN A RURAL CARRIER FOR ALMOST 32 YEARS. LIKE THE SHIRT
    IDEA. BUT SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE SOME TYPE OF HAT AND COATS BOTH
    HEAVY AND LIGHT. WHAT GOOD IS A SHIRT THAT IS COVERED UP.

• Reply to: Safety First!   2 years 2 months ago

I was approached by a gentleman that stated that he worked at a facility and the egress path was blocked by two pallets of mail. I am a fire prevention officer and informed him that I could go there and request that the pallets be moved, however, I had no jurisdiction in the building. My question is who has the authority to ensure that exits/egress and general public/worker safety is enforced at these facilities? I realize that this could just be a disgruntled employee, however, this is an issue that was presented to us and I would like to know where to turn if this happens again! Thanks for the info,

Fed Up needs to understand the differences between city and rural carriers a little bit better and if he is not happy with his job, he should moveon. I was a city carrier, and many times I wished that I could have been a rural carrier (carried some of their routes when I was a PTF), but I realized the advantage of the strong union of the NAlC. Strength is in numbers and shown by the people that attend the union meetings, etc and make their voice heard.I watched the rural carriers "run their routes" and leave so they could enjoy their day, when we were out past dark. I have seen many that I probably would not have opened my door to, judging by the way that they were dressed. Suck it up and be happy that you HAVE A JOB!!!!! I am sure that there are many people that would be glad to fill it.

Both crafts deliver mail, both should wear a navy blus shirt. Light blue stains too easily. Ditch the uniform pants for all. They're expensive, fit badly. Is a customer really looking at my pants to see if I can take their letter?

Good idea, if, and only if pay scale for rurals is equal to city carriers....meaning rurals go from Level 5 to Level 6 with a uniform allowance.

For one there is no way the usps will give money to us to buy a pencil never mind a shirt.and also the city carriers have uniforms how many of them do you think look representable in it, in my office probably 3 out of 16.

I recently retired as a Rural Carrier and for the last Fifteen years I wore a tie, not my idea. My kids got me a few for Christmas after their mother left and my customers wouldn't let me take them off. So yes a uniform and professional appearence would be approiate if the carriers recieve a uniform allowance.

if i was given an allowance i would still need a deviation from what most carriers would wear because of all the dirt roads that my route has. you really can't keep clean a "uniform" approved for most carriers on this particular route.

When the USPS gives me a postal vehicle they can require me to wear a postal uniform. Rural carriers are treated very differently from city carriers and at least in my office are disrespected by management and city carriers who seem to think they are superior. Will a uniform solve this problem?

Do you wear a skirt while delivering now? You will be.

We have rural carriers that look homeleess, tank tops, shirt sleeves cut off, not to mention they make 50 grand working 4 hours, should be 8 hours work for 8 hours pay!

I have always thought the Rural Carriers should wear a uniform......or at the least a shirt with a USPS Logo. They represent USPS just like the City Carriers and Clerks. We have an RCA in our office that wears tank tops, sloppy looking sweat pants, t-shirts that practically go down to her knees and jeans that drag on the ground. She also carries City mail and dresses the same. Very unprofessional and is just a disgrace to USPS. It's unacceptable in my opinion.

I have served as a rural mail carrier for 47 1/2 years, my personal appearance is important to me and my customers; I dress neatly and professionally at all times. I work with city carriers wearing uniforms that look worse than slobs, uniforms do not ensure a professional appearance. ELM has requirements concerning dress of postal employees; if we are going to require uniforms for rural carriers we also need to require city carriers to clean their act-up. My vote is NO. We have many issues that need to be ddressed, if an employees comes to work dressed in atire that does not meet community standards, the supervisor can handle that issue.

Anyone who deals with the public becomes a representative of their employer, we should take advantage of every opportunity to improve our public image.

When the postal service decides to treat the rurals the same as the city carriers,as far as salary,per hour,not by some outdated count where it's the postal services job to school management on how to find ways to cheat to take away salary,providing a replacement vehicle when the rural postal vehicle breaks down,instead of sitting around the office waiting for someone else to finish their day so a vehicle becomes available,receiving overtime during xmas instead of being harassed to stay in evaluated hours,THEN,when the rural carrier is treated like a professional it's time for them to look the part.

Absolutely they should. I have worked with rural Carriers (and been an RCA) for most of my 21 years in the USPS. In the real rural areas a uniform wasn't necessary, but in my city so many RC's look like slobs. I believe this image downgrades the overall image held of the USPS.

A nice Polo type shirt with the USPS logo would be nice, at the very least.

I have quite a no of postal tshirts and golf shirts that I wear thin in summer and heavier in Winter I do not mind a pullover with a logo but I would definitely not like the pants or the cotton shirts plus our pays have been cut so bad and the postal service has no money so they have to keep robbing us at mail count it doesnt seem like a win win situation for anyone

If I wanted to wear a uniform, I would have become a city carrier. Rurals are less militaristic. We do not need uniforms.

I think that uniforms should've been mandatory a long time ago. They show professionalism and represent the individual as a whole when walking up on someone's porch. It's better than some I have seen wearing flip flops, sweat pants, or flannel pj's!

I have used "postal shirts" for years. I am all for the uniform idea ONLY IF the Postal Service gives the rural carriers the same allowance they give the city carriers.

Not a great idea for a business cutting jobs because they do not have the funds.

I think the shirts would be great! I am a rural carrier And I am at the door of my customers often.

I'm a rural carrier with a very rural route, but I still like to look professional when I'm carrying mail. I own several shirts with usps logos on them as an unofficial "uniform". I think it helps my customers recognize me and keep the brand at a high level. I would be in favor of mandatory uniforms with a provided uniform allowance.