• Reply to: Making Global e-commerce E-asy   1 year 9 months ago

I have quit a few packages sent to me monthly. They are picked up in Salt Lake City, sometime sent to Nevada, rerouted back to Salt Lake (if not sent to Nevada, they sit in Salt Lake for 3-5 days) then after approx. 7 days, they make it to my home, 2 miles outside of Salt Lake. I believe the post office has serious issues here. They are wasting so much money on shipping things to the wrong place only to ship them back. My last package was picked up 4 days ago and thru tracking I was able to see that it hasn't been logged since pick up. If I order and use FedEx, my packages arrive 2-3 days, ALWAYS. What is wrong with this picture ? (and FedEx is cheaper also). Are the employees doing unnecessary reroutes for job security ? Or ignoring the packages and kicking back ?

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 9 months ago

It's no wonder why the postal service is losing money. I had a package shipped to me in Louisiana from Illinois. The package went from Illinois to Tennessee to California and back to Tennessee before supposedly heading to Louisiana. Its been in route for 7 days now and I still haven't received it. All the USPS customers service reps can tell me is that because it's a ground shipment, the trucks take different routes when dropping packages. Tennessee to California and back to Tennessee. Please!!!

• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   1 year 9 months ago

Ecommerce user here. Daily shipper of 4 to 10 packages, more around the holidays. You should have renamed Parcel Post to "Economy" and left Priority and Express alone. Now people will doubt whether the new "Priority Express" is overnight like the old "express mail" used to be.

As a shipper, I do appreciate the addition of free insurance and the clearer, more exact, estimated delivery times for Priority now. Thanks for that part.

The other name changes were really unecessary and will serve to confuse.

Exactly. ^^

Way to go, geniuses. Nothing like making your products even more confusing to the general public by prefixing "priority mail" to the express mail product. What dolt with a marketing degree right out of college came up with that brilliant plan? The general public is already ignorant enough of mail classes. Is it your plan to simply trick them into buying the express mail product by renaming it? If so, then maybe you're not so dumb, but you're certainly less trustworthy.

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 9 months ago

No one has said it better than rural carrier Mike S. The only thing you left out Mike was the money wasted on the "audit" teams traveling around checking to see if the rural carriers came back to get the 2-3 late letters, another big waste of money.

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 9 months ago

I have worked as a rural carrier since 1987 and thankfully will be hitting the door for the last time in less than 4 months. The issue with OT (or in the rural carrier's case, extra pay, as we are "salaried") is one that has many causes and could be easily addressed in most cases. For brevity's sake, I will address just two. First example is the idiotic practice of second trips all because a district manager wants to make his numbers look good. A piece or pieces come in after the carrier has left the office to deliver the route. But because these pieces might affect the EXFC score, managers require the carrier to go back out to deliver 1 or 2 letters that in almost all cases will sit in the mailbox until the next day. So if, for example, I have to drive 15 miles round-trip for 1 letter. I'll be paid somewhere around $30-$35 extra. There have even been sub carriers, not working a route, that travelled over 200 miles because a piece of priority mail was misdirected by the processing plant and again, it might make the manager's numbers look bad. In this example the sub made, wages and mileage, around $300. This happens a LOT! The second example is having carriers work their relief, or off, day. This happens due to a lack of relief carriers. Carriers can make 150% of their daily rate of pay for working their relief day if they chose, or make a half-day's pay with a paid day off. This could be alleviated simply by hiring more subs, but the powers that be have brain-washed lower level managers into believing the post office is going to 5 days and they refuse to hire new subs. The figures put out for one year (a few years ago) was something like $155 million for carriers working their off day.

USPS Express Mail is printed on the label as 2 Day. Even for packages with the one day (next day) guaranteed delivery. USPS employees will look at the 2 day and abandon the package until the 2nd day even though it would clearly say the guaranteed delivery day is one day not two. This is causing massive confusion to both employees and consumers. I have shipped three packages so far and all three packages missed the guaranteed date (Packages were actually delivered in TWO days, not One day as promised by the guaranteed delivery and the tracking number). That is simply because of the confusing label. I am asking for my money back on all three packages now..
    IF you want to change the name at least label it correctly.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 9 months ago

Due to family illness, I travel from my home in Georgia to Pennsylvania frequently. Despite having submitted an online change of address form mail is intermittently left at my home in Ga. or marked return to sender. My banks and other billers become concerned when the bills are returned to them,bills get paid late because they are sitting in Ga. while I am in Pa. Today I went to USPS to extend the temporary address change and after failing online called the USPS telephone number. I was told my confirmation number is not used by the post office. However I saved the email sent by USPS and the number I gave the person on the phone is the number sent to me by the postal workers change of address site. How do you expect to remain in business when this simplee service is so badly managed ?

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 9 months ago

You know what they say, "Do as I say, not as I do"....You go, Mo!!!!!!!!

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

Whenever a company appoints a new Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), it seems he/she needs to make a mark by firing the incumbent ad agency and changing brand names to demonstrate that they are doing something new. "If it fits, it ships" was a powerful Priority Mail campaign created by the Postal Service's former ad agency, that was fired by the new CMO. The new campaign is bland and the product re-branding confusing. Too bad the CMO didn't simply leave the former campaign alone, appreciating that it was working.

Ok I understand priority mail and express mail, but I just received a package that was priority express mail 2 day what is that? Is it express mail or priority mail? I thought Priority Express Mail was the same as Express Mail which meant overnight? HUH!! What is going on with the USPS? Haves the employees from top to bottom lost their minds. No wonder they are bleeding from all ends. Get a grip and leave things alone.

I am a small business that uses the USPS DAILY. Forget the name game. That is just a needless distraction that has no VALUE whatsoever. Sure go make more boxes and envelopes and waste money all because you think one name is better than another. You need to replace your marketing guru.

Why not focus on helping small businesses in AMERICA grow by concentrating your efforts on making the INTERNATIONAL mail services AFFORDABLE AGAIN???! When I started out with my online business, I could ship a small piece of jewelry to Europe using PRIORITY mail for less than 5 bucks. It is PITIFUL what you have done to America's small businesses. You have seriously damaged our International sales revenue and we can no longer compete in that market.

If you make International mail more affordable... WE ALL WIN.

• Reply to: Rethinking Tractor Trailers for the Long Haul   1 year 9 months ago

This is a really easy solution for the Trucks and Trailers.

Trailer specifications should be lowered to standard E Track equiped semi trailer with 12 inch on center E-track posts and have the best possible roll up doors made. LED Lights all around and Stainlesss Steel rear opening and bumper.

As for tractors. a Manufacturer should be able to lease the postal service enough tractors to the specification they desire. The only thing I would make sure that is done is that these tractors are not so far outside the Standard tractor order of the private fleets. AKA Dont strip them down to bare shells or put to many extra / redundant systems that are not called for.

I have been around the post office working as a HCR contractor for over 6 years and yes the post office have nice equipment but they dont rotate out their fleet like a private corporation to take advantage of IRS tax laws. Tractors should be driven for 3-5 years and then rotated out. Trailers can operate without major issues in the 8-10 year range.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants to Know How You Feel about Sick Leave   1 year 9 months ago

This one is spoken from a true asinine supervisor. Good for you.

I agree. Imagine the million of dollars just to implement this chaotic, idiotic change - educating, advertising, supplies, implementation, etc. Whoever approved this change needs to go. USPS is already losing billions of dollars, this change is NOT cost effective. USPS should cut cost not create more waste. Someone is making $$ revenues, who could that be? Investigation should be in place.

How idiotic to make this kind of change, so confusing. To top it, USPS will have to spend thousand of dollars that it does not need to do, just for educating, advertising, training, supplies, implementation. Whoever in the management approved this waste of money deal needs to get fired. USPS is already losing billions and it does not need this change. It will create chaos not order. Overnight or Next Day Express would have the best name change if it NEEDS it. It will be consistent with other carriers name terms use.

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

I agree this is the age of competitive advertising. The Postal Service has competitive products just like other businesses why shouldn’t they be allowed to advertise. They need to promote the products and, services, as well as brand itself. I believe it is a must, they have to use advertising to gain the advantage. Traditional media works and focusing on new media advertising will definitely be effective for the Postal Service. .

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

Call it what it is. Don't call it what it aint. It aint Priority Mail. If they want to add more clarity to the product, then call it "Overnight Express Mail" or "Next-Day Express Mail". Even the younger generation can get that. I'll bet all those thousands of clerks are gonna be doin a lota xplanin.

This is an absolutely terrible change. Blending the Priority Mail and Express Mail names into "Priority Mail
    Express" is very confusing and makes it much harder to distinguish these services when talking to a customer. Is it Priority Mail or is it Express Mail? These really are two completely separate services, Express Mail is normally delivered by a special Express Mail carrier, not the customer's regular postal carrier.

The naming and the day-specific branding (1-day, 2-day, 3 day) for Priority Mail also implies that Priority Mail (not Priority Mail Express aka Express Mail aka Overnight Shipping) has a delivery guarantee, which is not true. We expect to get calls from irate customers about packages not being delivered by the "guaranteed delivery date" that is actually now printed directly on the label. Imagine a customer receiving a package in three days but the label actually says "Priority Mail [2nd Day]" -- what would you expect that to mean?

As a business, we do the bulk of our shipments via USPS. For now. We shall see how well this change is received by our customers, and re-evaluate our shipping options down the line.

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

The Postal Service should continue to focus on traditional media, but at the same time increase the use of new media, like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to reach Gen Y or the Millennials (1984- 2002), and current Gen Z or the Digital Generation 2003. The other companies all over the nation are doing it, so should the Postal Service!!

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

The Postal Service should definitely advertise and promote their core services. I see nothing wrong with traditional advertising as well as social media/internet. I think sponserships of sports and the like, say NASCAR, or other racing teams should probably be reserved for times when their budget is not in the red. Not that those methods can not be successful. It just gives the wrong message to the public during hard financial times.
    Do not rename a product that already has huge recognition with the public. One of the biggest failings in the postal product market is that the USPS makes their products too difficult for the public to understand. Take a lesson from Ford. Create a new vehicle but give it the name people already know and like. Do not take your lesson from the IRS by "simplifying" which makes everything more complex. Your adverising money would be better spent bringing in cusomers, rather than trying to retrain the public on how to use an existing repackaged product.

If its not broke why fix it As a mailcarrier you change things to often..... So confusing to us.

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

The Postal Service should not change the name of the products. Too confusing.

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

I believe changing the name from Express Mail to Priority Mail Express will cause confusion not only by changing the name, but with clerks at the retail counter happening to explain the difference between the two options (Express mail the old way and priority mail express). I am already confused and I work for the organization. Let's keep the old name and maybe just internally call it something different. Today's customers are already in a hurry when they visit our facilities and changes ususally cause people to have to slow down and grasp what is being said. Some customers simply want have time to learn of the Postal's Service newest advertising campaign, oh, not really new, just a name change. Not good for improving service and satisfying the customer.