• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 8 months ago

I had a letter sent from a USPS "Customer Care" rep in my area, from a post office in an adjacent zip code. I've finally received it 3 WEEKS later. This letter (which didn't have a tracking number, but was in a USPS official envelope) never left town. I could have walked, picked up the letter, took a bike ride to the country to the north of me, spend a few days having a relaxing time, ride home, walk back over and pick the letter up again, and have been home before this letter finally decides to show up. I'm pretty sure the only reason that this particular letter was even delivered at all is that it was an official letter from USPS. I was told that the letter should take a maximum of 2 business days to arrive (3 if there was a very high volume of mail), but it didn't show up for 3 WEEKS. If your people can't take a letter from one Post Office to it's neighboring Post Office, and have it out for delivery within a few days, that's absurd. That is precisely why I'm not using USPS for any outgoing post, as are most of the people within my zip code. Until the Postal Employees decide to act like it's "Grown up working time" you WILL continue to lose money and lose business.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 9 months ago

Yes the next big thing is CNG/LNG but the PO is a couple of steps behind due mainly to issues dealing with congress the unions and lack of private sector foresight.
    One thing you can count on is in the next ten years getting your pizza delivered by drones while waiting on the PO to deliver that express with union carriers.
    Best turn all postal transportation over to the private sector and let the open market determine when and if CNG/LNG is viable.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 9 months ago

I think replacing or retrofitting the fleet with engines that run on anything other than Gasoline or Ethanol is a great idea. I'm convinced at this point that my Postman's conveyance must have a fuel leak that's causing vapors to build up in the mail truck. What convinces me of this is that my Postman doesn't seem to remember days or what he's done on them, and also indicates that he's delivered mail that he certainly has not, consistently for well over 3 years.

Before replacing or retrofitting the fleet however, I'd firmly suggest that the current fleet be inspected for such leaks. I'd hate to think that my poor Postman's very hard job opening a row of boxes and closing them again may be causing him brain damage due to suffocation and/or regular hallucinations of delivering mail when he hasn't due to inhaling fuel vapors. There may be postal drivers' health at risk due to this potential issue. Since they're sharing the roadway with myself and my loved ones, I'm concerned that they may go in to hallucinations and run us down thinking that we may be a cluster mailbox that he needs to service on his route.

Reducing dependancies on non-renewable fuel is also a potential positive step in the right direction for our environment as well.

Please do your best to find a solution that's economical for the Post Office, while reducing the risks and dependancies of burning fossil fuels, and ensuring that the fuels are not something that can be siphoned and imbibed for recreational alteration of consciousness.

Great idea for a study!

• Reply to: Is “Coopetition” a Good Thing for the Postal Service?   1 year 9 months ago

I've been on USPS.com for 45 minutes and CANNOT find a method/address to report PHISHING ! ! ! !

So HOW ( in the HELL ) does one report PHISHING w/full header info ? ? ?

Ed

• Reply to: Neither Blizzards Nor Hurricanes Nor Zombies...   1 year 9 months ago

Please tell me Why am i paying for a PO box and cannot get my mail. Important is mailed to me from within the US and it takes from one and half weeks to three weeks.
    The Postal service employee's attitude is so what it is a low priority.
    This is totally unacceptable.Customer.
    It is rumored the this particular Post Office has lost their lease and no one from the Postal Service have informed the community in Harlem. or the rental box .
    Renewal rates have been placed in the box for August 31ST and the building is closing on that date from another source.
    This so disrecptectful on so so many level.

• Reply to: Does a Hybrid Postal Model Have Merit?   1 year 9 months ago

If this system can get private workers who are afraid of termination to actually do the job and deliver mail then I'm 100% for it. As a USPS "Customer" (I have to use that term extremely lightly, in order to really be a customer one must first be served) I'm blown away at the antics I see at my local post office branch. Non-Delivery with claims that items have indeed been delivered, "Cluster-boxes" getting mowed down around some Federal Holidays in a configuration that would be exceptionally improbable for a single driver to have caused the issue on "accident", particularly since everyone is terrified to drive near the boxes for fear they'll be accused of knocking down all 3 stands of them in a configuration that places 2 on one side of a dead-end road, and the other on the other side of the same road, with a little paper sign that says something to the effect of "Attempting to repair the damage could lead to the charges of mail theft", always on the same day they're mowed down and not repaired for weeks (in which the mail simply isn't delivered, as the mailboxes are on the ground). Yes, if there is a private business with employees that have the chance to be removed from their jobs for pulling such nonsense, count me in 100%. It may be something that can restore my "faith" that USPS delivers anything but insults to their "Customers".

This is almost hilarious. I say almost, because getting delivery at all is a rare event. Here in Seattle it seems like that at least for our route a bit of rain, a bit of sun, a few clouds, or demolished "Cluster-boxes" is all it takes to keep the mail from showing up. A little rain, In Seattle, where it rains at least 3 months out of the year. I understand if they won't deliver in the snow, since nearly every street is a grade, but UPS, FedEx, an OnTrack sure can make it any day that's not declared a state of emergency. Zombies! If our postman saw a snowflake, a rain drop, the sun, or a cloud, I'm fairly sure he'd call in sick. I wouldn't fault him for doing that in the case of a Zombie Apocalypse, but doing it because it's Tuesday and putting mail in boxes is a rough job and it's easier to just tick the "delivered" box on all of the mail with tracking numbers is easier than doing the job he's paid to do. Having to wrestle with the USPS for over 3 YEARS over mail delivery and still missing most of your mail is absolutely absurd, at least as absurd as the title of this blog post.

Our business can't even get Saturday delivery on a clear day from the Great Neck, NY PO because the letter carrier is insane and the supervisor likes to verbally abuse you when you call to complain about it. It's out of control.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 9 months ago

I should also point out, that there's no need to even build a single fueling facility, just buy (lease) a few cars from Honda - as long as you do it where the existing refueling stations are. Torrance, California and I think there's another in Irvine, California. Honda would know.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 9 months ago

Honda makes a HYDROGEN powered fuel cell electric vehicle, the Honda FCX. From their website:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The FCX Clarity FCEV was designed from the ground up to be a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle that runs on electricity, and emits only water vapor and heat into the air.

Q. How does a fuel cell work?
    A. A fuel cell generates electricity by combining hydrogen and oxygen inside of a fuel cell stack.

Q. The FCX Clarity FCEV is an electric vehicle. Does the FCX Clarity need to be plugged in to recharge?
    A. No, the FCX Clarity FCEV generates its own electricity onboard the vehicle inside the fuel cell. Learn more About Fuel Cells.

Q. Does the FCX Clarity FCEV run on gasoline?
    A. No. The FCX Clarity FCEV does not use any gasoline whatsoever. It runs on clean, domestically produced compressed hydrogen gas. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.

Q. How far can I drive it before I have to refuel?
    A. The FCX Clarity FCEV has a driving range of approximately 240 miles.*

*Fuel economy estimates and driving range based on EPA test data. Your actual driving distance will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.

Q. How and where do I fill up the FCX Clarity FCEV?
    A. A number of hydrogen refueling stations can be found in Southern California with others in development. Honda is also working to develop a Home Energy Station that may eventually supply energy to the home while filling up the car right inside the garage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    At about 240 miles per fillup, I dare say that filling up once in the morning should be more than enough to carry any local delivery vehicle through it's daily route. Hydrogen can be produced in a variety of ways. My favorite is by using WATER - good ol' H2O and photovoltaics (solar panels) for the electricity needed to break it down. So the cost of fuel is about equivalent to the cost of water (plus the initial cost of panels & fuel cells). Apparently the vehicles are only available in Southern California because of the lack of refueling stations. Many fleet operators have refueling stations onsite, there's no reason the USPS couldn't do the same. Putting a refueling station onsite eliminates the need for "refueling infrastructure". With no infrastructure requirement the vehicles would no longer be limited to Southern California - anyplace with access to WATER & SUNLIGHT would be able to have a refueling station. Those without such access could use numerous other materials. Here's an interesting link with a few nice pictures of the process. http://www.making-hydrogen.com/diy-hydrogen.html There are at least several companies that already make & sell hydrogen generators. The technology is here now.

The possibilities don't stop there. The USPS could offer their refueling station to the general public, allowing them to actually make a profit from it, and BECOMING the new refueling infrastructure for America. OR, a nearby site could be used instead of actual USPS premises. Infrastructure is slow to build in general because nobody wants to take on the cost without some kind of guarantee of payback. With the knowledge that their own fleet will be using it, there's no reason not to build a station somewhere "near" postal facilities. Offering it out to average paying customers would be a secondary source of income and/or subsidization of these stations and new fleet vehicles.

The fact that hydrogen is even cleaner than CNG and/or any other petrochemical solution is an added bonus. Just to be clear - the hydrogen is NOT burned. Hydrogen is combined with oxygen using a "fuel cell" and in the process electricity is made which drives the vehicle. The only other byproduct is WATER and heat - no pollution whatsoever. Read about it on Honda's own website.

Finally, there's no need to go all out and commit necessarily. Pick just ONE site. Build a station either onsite or nearby. Buy a few vehicles. See how it all works out. Just don't take forever please.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 9 months ago

Low-cost CNG is a necessary tenet of preserving Last-Mile service. Commercial use of CNG is growing everywhere. Ford is working on a CNG F-150 for commercial use and Honda already has a CNG Civic. Bus fleets have been CNG for a while now. The problem is that the mail truck delivering the mail today is the same one from when I was a kid. Seriously!? USPS could establish partnerships to have CNG refueling across rural America. The problem has been in having stations, not getting the vehicles.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 9 months ago

Increasing the percentage of USPS vehicles using alternative fuels is an excellent idea. The 9-ton truck fleet would be an excellent target for conversion to natural gas for instance. Regarding renewal of the delivery fleet, there are many PPP options (such as leasing and other financial models) that would enable the private sector to provide the initial capital needed to acquire the fleet, whereas the Postal Service would pay for use over time.

• Reply to: Returning Purchases through the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   1 year 9 months ago

do not use the revamped priority express service! I was expecting a package today by noon - guarenteed- and it is currently listed as undeliverable in some sort warehouse. the receipt i have shows correct zipcode but somehow in ended up in wrong sort facility. I even confirmed with the post office that shipped the package that address is correct. they have mis-sorted it and instead of looking at actual address lable they are sending back to sender. such bad service and I paid $40 for it! never using usps to ship packages EVER!

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 9 months ago

The point is to make requirements with performance based specifications. These specs must be well defined and easily measured with realistc metrics tracked and over a statistically significant time period. Not snap shots; but trend data analysis to ensure performance is realizable and consistent.

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 9 months ago

When Postal Contractors violate their contract are they fined or punished for their actions? Does the USPS inspect and audit these contractors? If an individual witness's a contractor's wrongdoing while processing or transporting the mail, I guess you would advise them to report the action. Does the USPS compensate or pay a finders fee for reporting the wrongdoing. The consequences can be very harmful to that individual's livelihood.

• Reply to: Automated Package Stations – Rapidly Expanding Service in Europe!   1 year 9 months ago

i think it is really a great idea but hope its work.

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

I THINK THE WAY TO ADVERTISE IS STILL WORD OF MOUTH BY EMPLOYEES. WE KNOW OUR CUSTOMERS:} WE KNOW HOW TO TALK TO THEM, WE JUST NEED TO OPEN UP A COUPLE OF CUSTOMERS A WEEK AND DO IT. I RECENTLY DECIDED TO, ONE OF MY FIRST LEADS GAVE US APPROX. $45,000 A YEAR MOSTLY EXPRESS. WHY? BECAUSE I WAS HONEST AND TOLD THEM. LET ME HAVE ONE OF OUR "EXPERTS GIVE YOU A CALL, IF ANYONE CAN WORK FOR YOU, THEY CAN". JACKPOT!

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 9 months ago

How about performance-based delivery? Carriers know the best way to do their jobs. Overall, when given the freedom and accountability to do the job to the best of their ability, I believe the job would be performed more efficiently and productively.

no. they should name it snail-mail. I paid for certified mail on august 5th, for delivery august, 8th, and it just now getting processed- August 12th. not delivered yet. My father passed away; the info was important to us, not important to USPS. no wonder the organization is in trouble. this is not the first time this has happened. I just cant trust this service anymore.

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 9 months ago

Customer service number is always busy. No one ever answers and then it hangs up on you. I went in person to 2 different post offices to try and find my certified letter. Got the run around every time and loads of BS. No one will try to help find it or take any responsibility at all. They are totally inefficient, indifferent and unhelpful. I even spoke to a supervisor in Doraville, Ga. He said it was in the "Delivery Process" and would be delivered "Soon". Today is August 13th. It was mailed on June 24th. I paid $11.00 for certified mail with delivery conformation. I got no delivery no conformation and a lost certified letter. No one could give a damn less. What a rip-off and scam! Maybe they will finally shut down because of this kind of crap. Hope so.

I am unhappy with the name change to Priority express. It is very confusing.

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 9 months ago

All contracts should have a process where OIG and Legal have the option to vet and required sign off before RFP is realized. Too late and expensive to fix after contract award. Only way to get performance based in line

I spend $50,000 a year sending packages by USPS. It matters because as an online retailer, these changes were unannounced, confusing and expensive for us, as businesses, to change. I have been losing money for the past month because I got no notification. I'm just seeing these for the first time and I am awestruck.

I have been a strong supporter of USPS and have been in marketing and advertising for decades. This was terribly mishandled and bungled from start to finish. It's taken my IT guy a month to find and send me these updates. NOBODY understood what was coming.

I have been wrestling with problems on my website, as USPS changed these names. For the past month, none of my orders have been working right because of these changes, that were highly unpublicized. I've spent hundreds of dollars on my tech guy trying to track this down, only to find that these changes went into effect without notice.

I have been on board with USPS and have been a huge supporter, but this has caused more headaches than I can even believe. What a bonehead move. It's cost me hundreds in expenses and probably thousands in lost sales.