• Reply to: Will Harry Cast a Spell on Young Stamp Collectors?   1 year 8 months ago

I believe the primary focus of new stamps issued by the USPS should be on the history & heritage of the USA. Harry Potter was a mistake, at least as a 20 stamp issue. I think it is a disgrace that no stamp was issued for the sesquicentennial of the Gettysburg Address, perhaps the most important speech in our history. Certainly some pop culture is warranted but multi-stamp issues for Star Wars, the Simpsons, Harry Potter are overkill. An occasional foreign person such as Churchill, Mother Theresa, etc is warranted but our primary focus should be on citizens of the USA. Thanks for asking for comments.

Anything that the USPS can do to earn money so as not to keep raising the price of stamps is fine.
    There are times when you just have to mail something so the USPS is here to stay.

The first living people on US Postage and they’re Brits and Irishmen???!!! This is absolutely appalling. The Transformers, 101 Dalmatians, Peanuts, Sesame Street, or Nora the Explorer couldn’t have been chosen? An AMERICAN creation is what deserves to go on a stamp, not a British novel gone cinema.

The people making the decisions on stamps need to listen to the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee and not just fly by the seat of their pants. What appears on US Postage is important and sends a message. The message sent by the Harry Potter Stamps is “we don’t care what we put on a stamp, we just see dollar signs.” Wonder if these stamps will even sell. If someone had done their research, they’d have found out that kids consider Harry Potter to be “very last year.”

This won’t go down in Postal history in a good light and may be looked at as “the desperate period” for stamps.

If stamp sales are slumping, perhaps the Postal Service can appeal to the broader audience;
    • by offering stamps with logos from Twitter - Facebook - YouTube that would appeal to a younger crowd
    • if permitted to issue stamps that do not depict American heritage, perhaps a boost in sales can be achieved from the non-conventional audience, and
    • issuing stamps depicting themes and images that appeal to philatelist, makes sense and probably most profitable since the stamp is rarely used

The Postal Service pays tribute to an individual or movement by placing the image on a stamp. The selection process is not easy, you have to go through a long vetting process to be selected. Being selected to be placed on a stamp is of the highest honor; at least in the Postal Service world.

If the Postal Service really wants to get young people to buy stamps, then you need to put the artist/actor/comedian they currently like on the stamp. This will not go over well with the traditionalist, but young people will love it.

Image if we put Mailey Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Hilary Duff, or One Direction (I google this list) at a local post office. The line will be crazy and the amount of stamps sold will be equally crazy. Even better, stamps can be made from the winners of the 2014 Teen Choice Awards which teens select to honor the best stars of movies, TV and music. The Postal Service needs to connect to the young generation, as many of them don't even know where their local Post Office is located.

Is the Postal Service in the business of commemoration or in the business of selling stamps?

I'm 33, and have collected stamps since I was 11. These "stamps" look blatantly cheap. They are downright tacky, and they look like stickers you find in the discount bin at the dollar store. To me it seems like this was a quick and dirty rush job to get these out before Christmas. I think these could have been better made had you not used generic stills from the movies that the studio provided to you. What about stylized interpretations of the actual book covers? What about deep, rich, colorful stylized painted portraits of the main characters?

My wife is a huge Harry Potter nut, and she said she wanted the set of First Day Covers for Christmas, but I absolutely refuse to buy these for her. I think my money would be better spent buying these same exact stickers from Dollar Tree for 1/3rd the price and make my own "covers" with them. I'm not against the USPS moving in a more commercialized direction at all, as there are many products and brands that I would like to have stamps for, just don't be so damn tacky about it.

I think the USPS needs to go back and reexamine the designs from the Celebrate the Century series. There are TV show stamps, toy stamps, movie poster stamps, music album cover stamps, pop culture stamps and general use merchandise stamps. These in my opinion are tasteful. They are mostly subtle, refined, and well designed. If the Harry Potter stamps were done more in this general style, I'd have bought a dozen press sheets to stockpile for all my future postage needs! Come on guys, take some time, slow down, and actually put some pride and thought and effort into what you do!

I think the postal service should print whatever stamps they feel like. This latest concern is a waste of time…since the postal service is is such dire monetary straits, how do they have the money to pay someone to actually worry about this issue, and someone to sit and read all the blogs in order to gather the statistical response to the questions? QUIT WASTING MONEY on these ridiculous "problems"!

I see no problem with the USPS releasing stamps on themes that attract a wider (and younger) audience. I also have no problem with the USPS releasing stamps on themes that are not strictly "American" in nature. Limiting stamp topics to strictly American arts and history tends to result in drab, boring issues, not to mention inevitable rehashes.

There is frequently the perception that the topics and imagery chosen are decided by stodgy old fuddy duddies. That needs to change. Some "fun" injected into each year's issues, e.g., the Harry Potter set, keeps some semblance of vibrancy and modern cultural relevance in the program.

That said, I wouldn't go overboard, and keep it tasteful. A stamp series on The Kardashians, Paris Hilton, or Beyonce would go a bit too far (although depending on the imagery used, might sell well...).

Celebrating iconic films, TV series, or personas is perfectly fine, in my opinion.

Harry [Potter] was a great read and movies were fun ... but real living English actors on U.S.A. stamps was Wrong. This period of American history is full of events that should be honored on U.S. stamps. But of course as is the case ... no-one-is-home to read how I feel or cares. I have collected stamps for years and as with the current generation, if it is not face book or has keys to push there is No Interest.

I belatedly began collecting commemoratives: wonderful souvenirs of our culture. One suggestion about the USPS program: Young people (and some oldsters too) have limited funds for this sort of thing. Why not make it possible to buy **on line** or from USA Philatelic a single plate block with the plate number? Purchases at post offices are hit and miss: many do not offer all the issued stamps. I forego buying many commemoratives from USA Philatelic or on line just because I cannot buy a single plate block. That includes Christmas and holiday stamps (I'll spring for four, but I'm not buying a whole book).

If USPS packages the stamps so that collectors - including young people - have the option to buy as few as a block, I humbly suggest that it's more likely to attract buyers and thereby keep collecting alive. Just sayin'....

T his "Harry" stamp was a fantastic decision, an unusual and gutsy decision for a government entity.

How about a /1/ GAGA stamp, or /2/ Elton Jon, or /3/ global warming stamp showing four glacers then and now, or /4/ four stamps showing the plastic pollution of our oceans and water ways, e.g Washington State beaches with the Japanese tsunome garbage, or the dead zones in the Chesapeake, or /5/ our returning solders from Irac and Afganistan,---Army-Marines-Navy-Air-Force, one stamp for the men and one for the ladies.

I love the Harry Potter stamps. (For demographics I am a 31 yom.) Even though I hardly ever send mail (I tend to send packages by FedEx or UPS, pay all of my bills online and only send cards by mail for Christmas/Hannukah), I bought a number of Harry Potter stamp sets because they looked cool.

Most of the USPS stamps are boring. Often, I don't even understand what the stamps are getting at or what they are portraying. The Postal Service needs to end it's losses and its not going to do it by offering boring, artsy stamps that only appeal to a few old, gray collectors. They need to have designs that appeal to young people (such as myself) that hardly ever even use the mail. The Simpsons and Harry Potter are a great start. I hope the Postal Service continues picking stamp designs that mean something in today's current Pop Culture.

The post office should stick to stamps that feature USA, historically, arts, environment, sports, presidents, military, technology and national holidays. Forget featuring other countries history and stick with stamps that people who use stamps want to have on their envelope . Young people use the social media to communicate more frequently than snail mail. Stick with our American Heritage, no fads or fly by night celebrities.

I rarely buy stamps - they are something I use only when I pay a few bills. However, I do like using the Christmas themed stamps for my Christmas cards. I went online to purchase and have them delivered, and was amazed by the number of different stamps there were beyond what my grocery store carries. I bought several types that I ordinarily would not have - including the Harry Potter stamps. So, yes, I would say appealing to pop culture will truly help sales and that is a great thing. I would say to focus more on "lasting" pop culture than fads though. We already know that Harry has been around for awhile and will remain so for years to come.

The Postal Service's mission is to deliver mail. It's nice that people collect the stamps, too, but if the USPS can't get the money to fund itself, then what is the point of having "works of art"?? It would be nice to find a balance between the two, but first and foremost, the goal should be to generate sales, if pop culture can help that, then I'm all for it. Additionally, the US is such a diverse group of people, I think it is hard to say that one thing is American heritage and exclude all of the different cultures that make up our country. I don't have any problems with stamps that are not grounded in American heritage. Personally, I'd like to see Doctor Who stamps like the Brits just had for the 50th Anniversary. There are all sorts of fandoms out there - why not explore some of them?

I would be interested in buying these stamps. I think the stamps should reflect pop culture, and Harry Potter would certainly qualify.

I'd like to see more stamps supporting pet rescue, and with dogs and cats in general. The SPCA stamps with dog and cat images sold out a few years ago, and so did "Owney the Postal Dog" As those were huge sellers, i don't understand why the Postal Service didn't issue more / repeat them. Please bring those back, as you did the popular and beautiful "Purple Heart" stamps.

Yes, yes, yes. The USPS needs to stay current and by offering stamps which are exactly that, they will attract not only younger collectors, but also older users of the "stamp" generation who find current offerings boring and lacking in originality. There is no history to be learned with stamps as most of the USPS offerings are totally without context. This is a global society ... no harm whatsoever in adding some international flavor to US- bound envelopes. Good luck with the venture and may the staid members of the Advisory Board become less staid.

I think the USPS should stick with Art and History subjects and not go commercial.
    The Harry Potter stamps might bring in some needed cash, but not necessarily bring in new stamp collectors.
    I have been collecting stamps for fifty years and marvel at their beauty and interesting subjects. Thank you.

I believe the USPS should offer stamp images from as wide a spectrum of topics as they feel are marketable. I'll buy some and not others. Other people will have different tastes from mine, and will therefore buy other topics. Let the market decide.

I find it difficult to believe that more engaging stamps, however that is defined, will make a significant on USPS revenue. The budget issues are much more structural. Stamp collectors are not going to save the USPS.

I believe that stamps should reflect US heritage, culture, history, places, etc. Many anniversary events for significant history can be commemorated. US national parks can be. Native American tribes can be.

Stamps should avoid depicting living persons.

I bought the Harry Potter stamp sets for my godchildren, and some to use for sending them cards. Normally they aren't interested in sending mail (although they like receiving it), but they love Harry. If it gets them started collecting stamps, that would be great! I'm also happy if it gets them started writing more real letters. I see nothing wrong with stamps with popular images and I appreciate themes that I can use when I send mail. In fact, I miss the Happy Birthday stamps that used to be issued, and I always buy a ton of Christmas stamps -- this year I especially love the global stamp Christmas design with the wreaths. Way, way back the postal service issued stamps with poisonous plants on them and I used to use them to send my bills. Bill paying is now all electronic, but it is a fond memory. I think a balance can be achieved between popular images and more classic themes.

Please do not have a Harry Potter Stamp. Harry Potter isn't even an American fictional character. He is English, so let Great Britain give him a stamp. Thanks!

Why not continue choosing real young persons under interesting categories: young female poets during the Civil War, young instrument makers & composers, or perhaps even better have a contest with young people proposing their most interesting & worthy, young accomplished persons? That way they are engaged and involved in the process, researching their favorite & strongest subject area and rewarded for their efforts.

I think the stamps will interest young people and they will start collecting stamps. The stamps are not expensive. If you use the characters from their favorite movies or games they will buy them. The post office should put out more products to advertise the USPS.

Movie characters like Harry Potter have become part of Americana and our history. Harry Potter books stimulated a whole generation to begin reading again. We have all kinds of heroes - some from iconic stories that are shared from one generation to another. I think the Harry Potter stamps would be a hit.