• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 8 months ago

Such common sense. You must not work for the USPS

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 8 months ago

In our office, they pay overtime to regulars instead of utilizing the CCA's......Regulars make more on straight time than the CCA's do on overtime, but the PO refuses to let them case their hold down routes. hey are intentionally wasting thousands of dollars

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 8 months ago

i love the idea of two open routes every day let's make it three routes next month on my way to 90,000 thank you

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 8 months ago

I believe the post office has the oldest carrier workforce in it's history. Just what we old timers need is to kill ourselves working an extra 3 or 4 hours every day.

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 8 months ago

It is impossible to control overtime when management tries to control every second of every day of every worker. our job is not one that can stop and say "I will finish it tomorrow". We do not have any residual time left to take off any different situations that arise. For example if a carrier route is inspected and walked by management, it is always done when there is very little mail and packages to deliver.When the mail gets heavy management then has no choice but to authorize overtime or send somebody to help. Encourage good workers, don't punish them by making there routes longer. Also stop using carriers to cover for management on their days off. Shouldn't management cover each other?

• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   1 year 8 months ago

Only the USPS could create so much confusion, in such a widespread manner, with such idiocy.
    I have seen scores of people in line at the Post Office, puzzled at why their online account, pre-printed
    envelope has been returned to them. The reason:
    DUH!!! One of the new ('"rebranded" ) envelope says PRIORITY MAIL,
    while the other says: EXPRESS PRIORITY MAIL

What pin-headed cretin did this? The reason Express mail is declining is that it's TOO STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE.
    "Pretending" it is "sort of like" PRIORITY MAIL by conflating the two envelopes is -- beltway thinking, pretending
    to know anything about marketing.

Oh honestly. (Oh, and I just got ready to put a document in what I thought I'd brought home -- a Priority Mail
    envelope, but guess what -- its the WRONG ONE. So I get to go back to the PO again. I'm sorry that whoever
    did this is so wrongheaded, on every possible level. End of rant. (But seriously folks? Someone is getting paid
    for such idiocy?)

• Reply to: A Labor Day Salute   1 year 8 months ago

Another quote from Cool Hand Luke seems appropriate, "What we got here is a failure to communicate." How is it a bad thing that the postal system supports 8 million jobs in this country? I think the blog gets it right. Let's celebrate the American workforce and recognize the importance of an infrastructure that supports millions of jobs. The U.S. Postal Service is not a jobs program nor should it be one. If there isn't enough workload for the current workforce, then adjustments have to be made. The private sector is making similar adjustments. I know many people in print/distribution industries who have been laid off/downsized. Hard copy communications is simply a shrinking business. Do we try to stop growth in digital companies because it is forcing people out of hard copy communication jobs? That would have been like trying to stop the building of the nation's rail system because it was putting stagecoach drivers out of business.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 8 months ago

I cannot believe how rude the customer service agent whom helps the public at the Cheshire, Connecticut post office is! She has worked there for years but over the years I have seen her go from friendly and helpful to downright rude and cranky. I guess it is due to less help and more work for her but I have been treated disrespectfully on more than one occassion. It is unfortunate that customer service like this is allowed to continue. I guess I can talk to her boss but I am afraid that my mail might be sabotaged! I would never treat or talk to someone like this woman does!

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 8 months ago

The Turtle Creek Post Office in Dallas has to be one of the worst! They have sorting problems; some of the mail carriers are told to come in late and then don't leave the station until after 12 noon! Those unfortunate enough won't see their mail until 8 to 10 p.m. Sometimes there's no mail delivery at all. At others, we get bank statements and mail from others; our mail, even mail with delivery confirmation is dropped off at some other house and then lost; items that need to be signed for are left at a strange place. No one takes accountability. All the while everyone at this post office that stays beyond official hours gets paid time and a half including the mail carriers and the manager, assistant manager, etc.
    No calls back. Lousy service, but those who work at the post office make out like bandits.

Privatize the postal service and fire the incompetents!

• Reply to: Postal Service as a National Asset   1 year 8 months ago

all the time i used to read smaller articles or reviews that as well clear their motive, and
    that is also happening with this post which I am reading now.

• Reply to: A Labor Day Salute   1 year 8 months ago

It is Labor day.There is co-existence of the poor. They are sick for only workers' wage so we are social. Let us end unemployment and work for the poor.

RANX MUHANGUZI.

• Reply to: A Labor Day Salute   1 year 8 months ago

Thank you all who push through your hard working efforts so that the rest of us can send and receive vital information at the mailbox!

• Reply to: A Labor Day Salute   1 year 8 months ago

There is a sad irony in this post. While the office of the OIG salutes the Postal Service and somewhat obliquely or perhaps begrudgingly, postal workers, there is a concerted effort afoot to dismantle the postal network that has served America and American communities so well. Part of that effort is a direct and uninhibited drive to reduce the wages and benefits of postal workers, primarily as a means of preserving cheap rates for direct mailers.
    Every time someone cites the figures of a $1.3 trillion industry that supports 8 million workers it is most usually followed with attacks on postal workers and the postal infrastructure. The reference has become little more than a dog whistle, a call to hurt workers and labor across this country.
    Is it hubris or just bad taste to extoll postal workers and the American workforce while supporting a mindset and mentality that attacks workers, that excludes them from equal enjoyment of the gains and productivity of our economy in favor of rewarding a select elite. Your praise is empty and meaningless in the face of the current situation.
    OIG you should be ashamed and as Paul Newman said as Cool Hand Luke, "Calling it your job don't make it right."

• Reply to: Why Saturday?   1 year 8 months ago

In your risk analysis of ending Saturday delivery please also do an analysis of what this would do to the U.S. economy. One area of the economy not taken into consideration is the intended consequence of the loss of jobs created by ending Saturday delivery.
    1. How many full time career jobs would be eliminated?
    2. How many non-career jobs would be eliminated?
    3. What is the cost to unemployment insurance fund for these, now unemployed, breadwinners?
    4. What will be the affect on the U.S. economy as a whole with the massive loss of consumer spending brought about by these people being fired?
    5. What will be the affect on operations by the loss of so many non-career employees? When part-time, non-career employees are no longer available, who will replace carriers on vacation, or are out sick?

These are just a few places where risk analysis should be done before willy-nilly jumping off a cliff and then wondering if you are going to be hurt or die as you careen towards earth.

• Reply to: Perhaps No Free Lunch, But Free Samples   1 year 8 months ago

free samples always nice so you can try different things,then know what to buy.

• Reply to: Neither Blizzards Nor Hurricanes Nor Zombies...   1 year 8 months ago

"postal service's immediate priority AFTER a storm or event is the safety of its employees" True words...The operative word is AFTER..The problem comes into focus before and during the event. Local emergency management proclamations and states of emergency are ignored and countermanded by districts and regions. Employees are left in harm's way unable to return home to secure property and ensure safety of families. Discretion often is the better part of valor. Macho, "we will deliver no matter what" is dangerous and childish, not the kind of actions one would expect from true leadership. That being said; one hopes that issues brought up here and in all other blog posts, will get ultimately to the impacted levels of management and that they will benefit from reflection on them.

• Reply to: Is it Time to Consider New Uses for Facilities?   1 year 8 months ago

Yes, suggestions are required from you regarding the companies that provide self storage services in Lawnton. As someone told me that place is very much secure for self storage, and I also want to choose secured place to store my goods safely.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 8 months ago

The OIG appreciates your feedback on this blog. Please consider your option to file a complaint at your local post office.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 8 months ago

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 8 months ago

I've been raising the issue and trying to go up the chain from my Postman, to the Local Post Office Branch, to the Local Customer Service Line, and the 1-800-ASK-USPS line for nearly 3 and a half years. I'd finally given up when I was told directly that "Mis-delivered mail, Non-delivery of mail, Theft of mail, or any other thing that prevents you from receiving mail is not the problem of the United States Postal Service" after trying to chase down a package that contained the only instance of a part that will fix my aging stove that I could find. I was them told to call the seller and let them know "Simply because the status of the package reads delivered, doesn't mean that anything was actually delivered. Send another one.". The problem with that is there simply aren't any more. I've been scolded by utility companies, my parents, my spouse's parents, online merchants that send using USPS even AFTER I've instructed them not to, and anyone else that tries to reach me via USPS. I'm not sure if everyone at my local branch is using drugs, or feel that since their job is secure that they don't have to do it, or what their problem is, but it's gone so far beyond unacceptable that I felt as though there was no alternative but to contact the USPS Inspector General Hotline. If you'll read the reviews of the branch (Including the filtered ones) You'll see that I'm not the only person having issues [ http://www.yelp.com/biz/us-post-office-seatac ]. Sure, there are a few people in town that are ecstatic that they can go to the branch at strange hours, but the people that are supposed to be served are generally not pleased even a little bit. When I asked if I could use a locking Mailbox, my Carrier claimed that I could not, while the Customer Service people scolded me for not using one, and suggested one "For the low low price of $1750.00". While I lose at least that much money due to Postal Antics annually, I work for a living. When I asked if I could rent a P.O. Box, they said there weren't any left. When I asked if I could have my mail carried by a far closer post office, or use a P.O. Box there for delivery to my "Street Address" which is required by nearly all shippers these days, That too was "Unacceptable". I've asked everything I can think of, tried talking to everyone I could find or get a number for, and every time I get a "Call so and so" and when I ask for the number for whomever they're trying to pawn me off to I get an attitude as though I should know every Postal Employee's phone number. I then asked if there was a directory, since obviously, if I'm to know this information, it must be published somewhere. They said that there was no such publication, but the onus was on me to figure out who so-and-so is, what their capacity to help is, and since I'm not a mind reader they'll eventually begrudgingly give me a phone number, then usually promptly hang up. Then I hear the old "We'll call you back." When I ask "What should I do WHEN you don't", then they'll tell me that "IF, on the extremely remote chance that you don't get a call back, call me back directly - here's my direct number". Those numbers never work. Best case I get a non-working number, worst case I end up ranting to some poor individual who happened to have the imaginary number that I'm given for a "Direct Line". Yes, 3 and a half years. I've recently given up because there's no point. Maybe you guys can knock some sense in to these clowns, but even considering filing a complaint at my local post office at this point seems to be the same as asking one's abusing father to deal with their abusive father.

• Reply to: Perhaps No Free Lunch, But Free Samples   1 year 9 months ago

The USPS' revenue depends on whether users find postal products worthwhile and worth the cost when compared to alternative ways to communicate or deliver. The Postal Service is not a marketing company, but a vehicle by which companies (and individuals) can market, communicate, distribute. Some companies will find sending samples through the mail a valuable way to reach customers. Some recipients will find the free samples useful, others won't. But let's give marketers are reason to try mail. I think the Postal Service should be applauded for launching a test service that attempts to gauge interest in samples by mail, and hopefully help it determine the correct pricing. The Postal Service is primarily a commercial operation with almost 97% of the mailstream involving a business transaction of some kind. It is time to update the business model to reflect the realities.

• Reply to: Perhaps No Free Lunch, But Free Samples   1 year 9 months ago

I personally would enjoy receiving free samples in the mail. I agree with the author that people love getting stuff for free and trying out something new that I wouldn't have bought outright might drive me to purchasing the product. Hopefully this WILL do something to enhance the value of mail, since samples are really something that can only be sent through the mail and not through digital means - another excellent point the author makes.

Also, it seems as if some businesses are already taking advantage of this "sampling". There are plenty of monthly "boxes" (such as BirchBox, Nature Box, Bark Box, etc) that people subscribe to in order to be sent new things to try in the mail. These businesses seem to be doing alright, but imagine how great it would be if it were all free for the receiver!

• Reply to: Perhaps No Free Lunch, But Free Samples   1 year 9 months ago

I look forard to trying this free example

• Reply to: Perhaps No Free Lunch, But Free Samples   1 year 9 months ago

The more appropriate question here is why is the USPS offering these discounts. Is the Postal Service a marketing company, an advertising company? The focus here is simply wrong and demonstrates why much of the mission of the Postal Service has been ignored while it has become a lapdog to the direct mail industry.
    What's next, helping journalists find more interesting and exciting ways to report and present magazines to increase volumes? Or perhaps a campaign to educate people on the mail value of paying their bills late - it does generate more mail volume in second notices?
    As far as the topic here - my experience is that most customers trash samples, a few use them, and a very few actually make a product decision based on them. They're an annoyance, difficult to deliver, and in some cases easy to tamper with.

The Postal Service has abandoned any pretense at public service and nothing demonstrates that more than initiatives like this.

• Reply to: Who We Are and Why We Blog...   1 year 9 months ago