• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   1 year 6 months ago

Consolidation will work perfectly fine IF service standards are lowered. The one and ONLY problem are the remote offices that lie too far from the newly assigned mail processing facilities that are receiving mail too late to get carriers onto and back from the street safely. The ideal cost saving approach that would utilize transportation and equipment would be to transport available outgoing mail in the afternoon to the mail processing centers to the SAME plants while dropping off the next days mail for delivery while the truck is already at the delivery office, then repeat the process the next afternoon. This would eliminate the need for multiple trucks each morning, idle machines during the day at the processing facilities, and double trips by the transportation networks. After the first day, I promise you, no one would notice the relaxed service standards. The cost savings would be enormous. The public has no idea how much is spent on transportation to try to get a false sense of "service standards". I have documented as much as $120 for one cable bill to be transported and delivered, and this doesn't include the cost of the auditors to check to see if this was delivered. Personally I wouldn't mind getting my cable bill the next day if costs were controlled.

• Reply to: Serving up Self Service   1 year 6 months ago

You hit part of the answer.....result of reduced hours.....
    the second part.......Long lines created by reduction in clerks available to customers....

"the postal service needs to be where people find it most convenient..." Closing long established po's and replacing them with new offices away from customers......Closing post offices during lunch hours ( when people would go to the post office)...These are not signs of a postal service giving good service.

How many people actually like self-service vs a friendly helpful human being.....Just look in stores with self-checkout aisles and see which people prefer to use...

While talking about profitability of individual post offices...Please explain what income is counted and what expenses are charged? After showing them in an audit project mode, you would receive good feedback. You might even discover that many po's classifies as unprofitable actually are not.

• Reply to: Will Harry Cast a Spell on Young Stamp Collectors?   1 year 6 months ago

My students read the article in NEWS FOR YOU and they say that the stamps should be about history and culture and representative of the U.S.A. It should not be about money! It should be about proud.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   1 year 6 months ago

Well, I'm not quite certain that's entirely accurate. My mailbox got run over on my suburban neighborhood street RR.
    I didn't fix it because I was away. Further, the ROW property that my box occupied was under dispute by the property owner.
    The PO held my mail. They told me I had to put the mail box back up. I wanted to put up one of those GIANT Billy BASS mailboxes that sing when you open the door.
    This is because part of my life's work is to annoy my a-HOLE neighbor. Evidently a singing mail box is not official, so I couldn't put it up.
    The PM told me to move it up the ROW away from my Psycho neighbor's mailbox. I asked him if I could simply not put one back up?, and he explained it would complicate things if I didn't. So, I complied, and put a standard MB on a standard pole, moved up the ROW, away from Mr. Psycho.
    The point is, there appears no reason to actually have a mailbox if you don't need one.
    Further, because the usefulness of a single mailbox has dramatically diminished, it appears logical to implement the deployment of cluster boxes nationwide.
    The post office is the nations primary communications network, however, it's still utilizing smoke signals to execute this task.
    Be advised, the millennial generation will not use your service. If I, an old man, could end your service I would do so. Quite simply, it's outlived it's technological life.
    I'm very sorry. I just do things electronically, and am very much aware that some people either choose not to, or can't, by virtue of their capabilities.
    Your business model is kaput!

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   1 year 6 months ago

When I first became a contract instructor at the University of Oklahoma in 2005, there were more than 700 Mail Processing facilities. A student told me in 2010, I believe that the Postal Service was going to go from 700 MP facilities to around 250 by 2013. I was a bit shocked to say the least. At that time mail volume had started to drop. However, delivery points continue to grow. Last year they added over 700, 000 new deliver points meaning the carriers were going to have a difficult time delivering to 153 million delivery points each day. The PO office hired more than 30, 000 City Carrier Assistants (CSA) last year to help with this nightmare situation. Also, the PO had more than 28,000 Postal Support Employees (PSEs) to assist the plants. Once the consolidation started service took a hit. In the past all local mail was supposed to be at our Plant by 19:50 PM and the rest in by 20:50 PM. Which meant we could hit out target to be done with outgoing mail by 2300. With Consolidation you have mail hitting the acceptance docks at 10 PM or later as some mail is trucked in over 100 miles away. Another issue is the PO began to hold most management type training on-line replacing classroom instructions. This lead to Managers/Supervisors being promoted without any formal training on mail flow and other techniques.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

I am assuming from your comments that your mailbox is blocked by snow. I am NOT a Postal employee but I do know that it is YOUR responsibility to keep access to your mailbox clear so that your mail carrier may serve it from the vehicle. If he were to take the time to safely secure his truck to climb over the snow to walk to your (and all the other mail boxes blocked by snow) there would be no time to serve the boxes that customers have cleared a path. Instead of driving a mile for five days to retrieve mail, why not just move the snow from the access to your box? And you are certainly right, there are many people who would be happy to work for the postal service but even if it were you, you would have to follow the regulations, you could not break them.

• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   1 year 6 months ago

It's just another reason the postal service is going broke. Whoever it is that comes up with these dumb ideas is not only out of touch, but making an obvious ploy to be deceptive by jumbling up old and new names in hopes that no one will notice when they charge more for less service. It's an alarming and disgusting trend that seems to be pervasive in every aspect of our government. A great example of bureaucratic bean counters sitting in a board room thinking "shiny ideas" that have no substance and do nothing to address the serious issues facing the postal service. Unethical morons.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   1 year 6 months ago

Update: Mosinee wisconsin residents alert:
    This site is a pro-postal forum and is run and therefore moderated by the united states post office a federal government entity . please stick with this non-bias site -----> http://www.uspspostoffices.com/wi/mosinee/mosinee blog which is moderated for virus and bad language with a non-opinionated ethical approach which constitutes america's first ammendment rights of freedom of speach.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Are you a public relations contractor working for the USPS? I have had to file more than a dozen complaints with the USPS in the past year for non-delivery and delayed delivery of mail. I have had to wait for more than 3 weeks for the USPS to delivery a package that had been "out for delivery" (as stated by the USPS Tracking). Today I had to submit a complaint to the Inspector General of the USPS because another one of my packages has been "out for delivery" since January 18, 2014. It still hasn't been delivered. I have kept records and documentation of all the times I have filed cases with the USPS for sub-standard service.
    I have gone to two three different post offices and have been told three different stories about First Class International mail. I even has a representative call and out right LIE to me about the reason I was told a package could not be sent by International First Class. When I told her the facts of my experience (which I had not included in my initial complaint to the USPS), she could not talk around the sloppy service and empty excuse that she had given me. Employees of the USPS do as employees of most companies do. They will lie to cover the incompetent and sometimes out-right, mean spirited, inferior service that some of the employees of the USPS render.
    I was in my local post office about 2 weeks ago and whitnessed another woman who had not received a package sent to her. A package was delivered to my address. I then e-mailed the USPS of the mis-delivered package. I never received a reply from anyone with the USPS. After about 2 weeks of waiting, I mailed a letter to the person whom the package was addressed to, explaining the fact that it had been delivered to my address. That was apparently the only way this woman would have gotten her package. Mr. Andrews, have you ever read the disclaimer that the Inspector General of the USPS send to people who files a complaint for missing mail?

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

I haven't received a delivery for over five days since my postman has chosen to not leave his postal supplied truck. He is unable to walk the few steps to reach my mailbox. Yet I am required to drive a mile, walk over a snow covered drive to secure may mail. Why is he being paid? Why does he have This job. I am certain someone else would be happy to work for the postal service which offers security, health benefits and a pension plan. How can we rid ourselves from these bad actors. I have complained before. Your web site is a joke. Your 800 number is no better
    Sorry to say your current standards are lacking.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   1 year 6 months ago

It appears that the PMG in his latest video gives some reasons why the door was shut on consolidations.....There were some "unforseen" snowballs which rolled downhill.
    You close a local plant, send the mail to a farther away plant and don't forsee that the mail will get to the actual delivering post offices later? PPPPPP...I hope you know what that stands for. The PMG must have gotten his ears burned because carriers have been out late into the night trying to deliver mail. This is dangerous and there were fatalities. Monkeying around with one part of the delivery chain whithout a thought of repercussions to those actions further down the chain is downright embarrasing, frustrating and totally unneccessary for the folks down the chain. It appears that a "team" effort was not given. An after action report by OIG which starts at the bottom and works up the chain could be very enlightening.

• Reply to: Does a Virtual PO Box service appeal to you?   1 year 6 months ago

I came up with this idea recently and I'm glad to see you're already considering it. This seems like a win-win for the USPS and its customers. Customers could get most of the benefits of a physical PO box at a lower cost to the USPS, and therefore at a lower price, but it could still be a major revenue driver for the USPS. As another comment suggested, you could also derive revenue from a service that would translate virtual addresses to physical ones on a "need to know" basis. This kind of innovation is exactly what the USPS needs to get back to being one of the few government agencies that pays its own bills.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   1 year 6 months ago

The claims department with USPS is incompetent and appear to be overworked already. If they can't handle the business they do have without such a higher number of claims, how can they take on more.

For my whole saga see:

The letter I am sending today after yet another form letter showing a complete lack of review and understanding of my actual claim:

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Ken,
    Thanks for catching our broken link. We've fixed the link and you should be able to get to the white paper now.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Why am I unable to read the Full Report? Each time I click on the provided link, I am denied access with "The requested page "/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2014/rarc-wp-14-009.pdf" could not be found."

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Futhermore, I strongly feel its an privileage for the public, and I also feel strongly against comments, such-as the postal service have more days close went it comes to honoring the lenght of the existing of the service, NATIONALLYNATIONSWIDE. Which as to say many of these américa sincerely can not read. Facts: My very first experiment with the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE, FACTS: SUNDAY: LOCATION: LEELAND, IT WAS THE ONLY BUSINESS AND BUILDING THAT WERE THERE.
    Sincerely, Customer. Thanks!

LOCATION: LEELAND OFFICE, TEXAS: WITH LATER IT WAS STATED

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Your updated study on what America wants from the Postal Service is generally well done but there seems to be a certain slant to the discussion.
    You indicate that folks generally don't understand that the Postal Service is self-funding. The one question that isn't asked is whether that's appropriate. Up until 1984 it was generally accepted that the Postal Service should receive some form of appropriations to pay for both universal service and reduced rates for certain categories of mail. The discussion these days seems to discount the usefulness of appropriations. That fits with a general tendency towards diminished understanding of the value of public goods, public services and public infrastructure.
    A great portion of our discussions of economics these days depends on misconceptions and misunderstandings about the nature of Federal debts and deficits. Much of our debate about Federal spending has been framed by folks like Pete Peterson and the folks who were supportive of the Simpson-Bowles prescriptions. Unfortunately much of what supports those arguments relies on bad economics.
    The questions you've asked in your most recent piece seem designed to elicit a fairly narrow range of responses. It seems you've missed an opportunity to explore the subject in greater depth. How do we value public goods? How should we value public goods? Does postal infrastructure serve more than a purely economic purpose? Even if post6al infrastructure serves only an economic purpose, must the infrastructure itself be self-supporting or does the overall added value justify support from outside the system?
    The design of the study betrays your prejudice and predetermined conclusions.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

No mail service today February 18 in zip code 30066???????????? I would have been fired if I let this happen when I worked there????

• Reply to: Great Expectations of Online Shopping   1 year 6 months ago

I do not understand why everyone is complaining about the USPS service. At least "They", even though minimal at best, Get "some" service! USPS has, for unexplained reasons, designated my, (legal/deliverable) address as, NON-DELIVERABLE! Apparently because I live on the Wrong Side of the Street? That's Just Plain; Lazy/Inexcusable/Unacceptable/Embarrassing! etc... Nine Years, I've been putting up with This, lack of Service! USPS Refuses to assist me with this issue, or Resolve It, or Give Me an Acceptable/Understandable/Legal,,, "Service"! Plain and Simple!
    Daniel Halley

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Thank you for asking.
    My expectations from The Postal Service is simple. My situation is rather complicated. This I do not understand. I have always had an amicable relationship with USPS, especially delivery employees. A very nice group of people, wherever I reside. I have been living at my current address for almost nine years, and have Yet to have, even a piece of mail from PCH Sweepstakes! (lol) . For unknown reasons my Apt. complex has been singled out for Non Delivery, and has been designated an Un-Deliverable Address! This Apartment Complex meets ALL codes and Requirements outlined by USPS
    bylaws! I have read them, and understand them. What I fail to understand is; Why, after nine years, USPS Refuses to, and will not Deliver My mail to ME, at my legal deliverable address! From what I understand, my landlord has been attempting to get us Mail Boxes, and I have been patiently waiting. But, Enough is Enough! The postal employees at My local branch, do not understand the problem, either! I Must maintain a beneficial means for being in contact with The Veterans Administration, as I am a Disabled American, Vietnam Era Veteran! The Veterans Administration will only contact me thru USPS, ONLY!
    This has caused me considerable waste of; Time, Valuable Retrievable Current Information/Instructions, etc. Do you get My Drift? I, only wish to have USPS Services, as I have Always had and, how all my close neighbors seem to be Enjoying TODAY, as I write this! I have been given a PO Box, (free) but, I do not drive, (my Disability) so I have spent Too Much $$$$ retrieving My mail from my,(not so local) local Post Office! This situation Exacerbates my disability, complicating my current condition!
    I am a Proud American Citizen, and ask Only for what my American neighbors receive with no apparent Problem!
    My question is, WHY ME?
    SINCERELY,
    Daniel Halley

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

I know the postal service is a stand along agency. The need to support themselves explains all the junk mail. I believe that there is so much hi-jacking of accounts on the internet, that the postal service is at least another option. I think the crooks that operate on the internet may even be smarter than the ones that tried to hi-jack the mails. I would like to see more agreements between the postal service and outfits like target, Kohls, etc. with 7 day service. This would be one up on the other ground service for delivering merchandise. I also like the postal people that serve my route. I am mobility challenged. I have a mail slot in my door. The postman always knocks when he delivers the mail. I really appreciated this rather than having to scoop it up off the floor. The postal people still have more of a chance to provide personalized service; especially to seniors who are getting to be a non-negligible group. I certainly do not wish the internet and UPS to be my only options..

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   1 year 6 months ago

Over the decades I have lived all over these united states. In EVERY ONE I've had a positive experience with Postal Service Employees. In Taos NM, NY NY, Boston MA, Plainfield VT, Chicago IL, Syracuse NY and, New Haven CT In each and every one I have found Postal Employees to be helpful and pleasant. Each one was informed, accurate and intelligent. Any needs I had were accommodated and or my concerns were allayed. When I need the service of the Postal Service, nothing else will do. Fortunately for me, the Postal Service is there.
    Thank you for the opportunity to make this comment and for the continued service of the USPS.
    Mark Andrews

• Reply to: Selling the Mail – Whose Job Is it?   1 year 6 months ago

(Enough of this emphasis on selling. A good idea if followed, sells itself. Let's hope the people who know about the post office's internal machinery come up with some.) I am speaking as an outsider who is sure of one great idea the post office has come up with. You add urgently needed extra income for the mail service by adding an urgently needed extra service, that was once a proven success. The postal mail service became a postal savings service as well. It was a place for small savings and for cashing or writing small checks or money orders, a few simple non-bank tasks and it did them well. It should keep out of the way of private banking on the one hand, and on the other hand, make sure that a strict control operates to insure private bank profitability that is also forwarding the public interest, the postal service's commitment, in any lawful jurisdiction where the depositors/borrowers may be the same. That is absolutely doable. The modern problem is that political interests have lost sight of what is inherently in the restricted public domain and what is inherently in the broader private domain. That should be spelled out in advance so that Americans can look forward to many years of safe financial service from both public and private sources.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   1 year 6 months ago

Work share discounts are definitely the biggest reason for the decline in the efficiency of the network. They have created the imbalance in workload over the 24 hour day. Most of the work that the plants performed in the daytime and evening has been work shared away. While practically none of the work plants performed after midnight has.
    This had decreased utilization rates because most of the equipment is needed from midnight to 6 am to meet deadlines but is no longer needed at other hours of the day. I doubt the increased cost per letter of this utilization rate decline was ever used when deciding what is a good work share discount.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 6 months ago

RUDE customer service for DEWITT POSTAL SERVICE in DEWITT, MICHIGAN----I lost 8 mail boxes due to storms--DEC. 2013 /JAN. 2014-----MY MAIL WAS not delivered--I can go with that--for pic-up on my part. BUT, to be talk down to and insulted by whom ever answered the phone when I called---and treated like a second hand citizen by this POSTAL OFFICE--TERRIBLE. They would not help me---not give me any info--I called the ROAD COMMISSION--they came out fix the mail-box--gave me a new one---number 8 (didn't have to pay 4 this one or labor--$210.) That was for labor only---The month before this one! The ROAD COMMISSION told me to ask the POST OFFICE that brings my mail---"where can I relocate my mailbox so this does not keep happening. GOT KNOW ANSWERS/ NO NICE--GOT HANG-UP ON!