• Reply to: Will Harry Cast a Spell on Young Stamp Collectors?   1 year 7 months ago

Postage stamps, no matter how scarcely used, reflect the ideals, heritage, and art of the nation that issues them. They are seen not only by our own citizens, but by people worldwide. When our postage stamps celebrate cartoon and fantasy characters, they trivialize our nation in the eyes of others. In so doing, we join the likes of Granada Grenadines, Tonga, Marshall Islands, and others that issue postage stamps with no connection whatsoever to the issuing nation. They are desparate and transparent attempts to make money rather than to commemorate worthwhile national accomplishments. If any other quasi-Government or actual Government agency attempted to raise money by similar means, there would rightfully be national outrage and condemnation. A national postal service is one of the many costs of doing business (running a government in this case). It shouldn't have to make money or break even. Subsidize it!

I would like to think that your comment to make stamps more interesting would make a difference, but I don't believe it will as most young (er) adults, under about the age of 40'ish, have migrated to electronic mail for just about everything....I believe the market to sell more stamps continues to remain with older citizens, especially collectors. As a collector myself, I have found even I have succumbed to electronic communication when I started ordering my collector stamps via the USPS web site. I am going to make a suggestion - comment myself later and maybe you will comment on my thought.

What is the business model for the USPS? I hope selling stamps for profit is not the answer.

I am a life long (old) stamp collector and I have become frustrated and disgusted by countries that sell stamps only for profit by publishing stamps about subjects that have no relevance in the country, only to republish the same stamps with overprints, etc. Is the USPS going the same direction as Burkina Faso and others. This approach actually turns off stamp collecting. Stamps should be limited to Americana. We are the most culturally diverse, geographically gorgeous, scientifically creative countries in the world - lets shown that off.

Stick with the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee.

A small proportion of new stamps can be aimed at appealing to young people. But these should be chosen with discretion. Many people worldwide collect stamps. What they see on our stamps affects their judgment of the U.S. Blatantly commercial stamps do not give a good image of the U.S. Stick with the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee for new issues.

Yes, please. The Harry Potter books are a phenomenon that should be celebrated. Think of how many young people began to read books or went back to reading books because of them. Plus perhaps this will draw more young people becoming interested in philately.

As a taxpayer and consumer of USPS services, I applaud (nearly) any effort to improve the Postal Service's cash flow, but this was one wave of the wand effort at magical thinking that was, well, not well thought out. A British writer's imagination on a stamp featuring a still living British actor failed to inspire me to go out and buy these stamp set. The inverted Jenny, on the other, hand, got me in early for a few sets worthy of framing and gifting. Suggest you continue to find themes that appeal to local patriots (meaning, regional and sub-regional images that local Americans can relate to), or finding ways to weave US and foreign stamps into social studies in elementary and high school curricula. In conclusion, nice try by two thumbs down.

I think its a great idea! I believe that it will drive younger individuals to start collecting stamps! Yay!

Sell advertising space on stamps. Users get free or discounted stamps, while advertisers get exposure in return for subsidizing USPS.

1. Postal Services should not market stamp images that focus on young audience.
    2. Postal Services should not be allowed to develop themes and images that do not focus on American heritage.
    3. Postal Services should develop stamp images based on works of art and history, not based on fads and celebrities.

I believe that the USPS should issue stamps to honor and commemorate real people and events. Issuing stamps for pop culture and characters popular among the masses, denigrates those who are truly worth honoring.

I feel strongly that the United States Postal Service should commemorate the United States with stamps dedicated to historical persons and events, scenic wonders and the like. The USPS should not pander to passing fads like Harry Potter. In my most recent visit to the Post Office, I asked to see the most recent stamps so that I could purchase some interesting ones. After seeing the most recent array of a dozen or so different stamps, I found them so uninspiring that I left the Post Office without purchasing any.

As a librarian and lover of literature, I support the use of literary characters on U.S. stamps. In general, our stamps should reflect home-grown cultural figures and concepts from artists, authors and cultural creators from our country. As a young philatelist, I appreciated the unique cultural voice that each country used for its stamps. Therefore, I support the creations of our own country's unique artistic minds being used on our stamps, for the most part.

However, given that the Harry Potter books have sprung from Scotland specifically and the U.K. more generally -- countries with whom we share a good amount of cultural DNA -- this instance of "borrowing" is acceptable. Also, given the fact that so many young people lack basic epistolary writing skills and do not know about the joys of stamp collecting, I see this as a *magical* opportunity to create an access point to these important concepts. Furthermore, consider the dominant themes of the series: loyalty to friends, love of family, selfless acts of kindness, appreciation for variety of the skills of others and respect of individual differences. These themes echo important concepts to American representative democracy and a psychologically healthy society as a whole.

Considering these aspects of the question, I support the Harry Potter stamp series and applaud the public debate on the issue. Thank you, USPS, for many years of beauty and efficacy, in all that you do, come rain, sleet or falling show.

The Harry Potter stamps are terrific. We could get only two booklets, because they had sold out at our post office. If the Postal Service wants to make money, this is the way to do it. I've purchased stamps from miniscule countries which have a huge portion of their GDP coming from selling stamps of things like Disney films. I would love to see the US issue Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stamps. It's important to remember that the U.S. produced those films and the Harry Potter films. I am a big fan of the Marvel & DC stamps which have been issued and would like to see more. Tying into the science fiction, fantasy, horror, and comics communities would be a great way to go--these people are avid collectors.

Don't we have something more than witchcraft and sorcery to aspire to?? I would like to see something inspiring with actual purpose, something that is a role model for the youth, including myself... What about a stamp of St. Joan of Arc... What a courageous leader she was! She fought for what she believed in with all of her heart and persevered to the very end... That is something we could all look up to... Have we ever had Abraham Lincoln stamps? If not, that is a must! What a man of true character and integrity...Mother Teresa a most humble giver devoted to the care of the poor, even those who contributed some of the most beautiful music like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart...Even Captain Philips! Someone or something with real meaning, real heart, that makes us want to be a better person.

I understand that some decisions are difficult and also understand the Post Office's need for additional revenue. However, the Harry Potter stamps appear to benefit the commercial interests of others in addition to the USPS. I much prefer stamps that commemorate U.S. history, important figures from our country's past and to maintain traditions that make philately an enjoyable hobby. The post office's decisions to issue stamps whose purpose is to generate revenue from collectors is a short term solution to a long term problem and is not likely to encourage youngsters to collecting stamps. In fact, I had been collecting for many years but stopped when I felt that too many stamps were issued with insignificant historical value. The Harry Potter series certainly fits that category. Further, the advice of the advisory committee appears to have been disregarded in the quest for some quick cash.

I I am convinced that J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter is an important contribution to
    literature for young people (and old people like me [82 years]). I predict that
    the seven books in the Harry Potter series will remain popular well into the
    22nd Century. They may even be added to the lists of required reading to
    counteract the move to all-digital text.

Further, the Harry Potter books emphasize the virtues of courage, friends and
    loyalty -- not bad for what has been disparaged as merely children's literature.
    and honesty. The fact that they were written by a talented English author
    merely points our how poor the selection of American authors of children's
    books is. Is the best we can offer the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"?

I am a stamp collector and think the USPS is wrong to issue stamps like Harry Potter because it is purely to make money with a goal unlikely to be achieved, getting kids to collect stamps. Let the CSAC be the ONLY ones to decide stamp topics!!! American stamps should be representative of America. Fie on the USPS morons who think stamps should be commercial vehicles issued for revenue only. Fire these idiots and fast!!!

Whose Big Idea was it to put Harry Potter on an American Stamp?
    I'll never buy that stamp. No wonder you're in debt. Do some research.
    I totally oppose using any one other than an American on our stamps.
    I realize in the past this was probably done.
    How many kids collect stamps? They don't have time because they're too busy texting
    or on twitter, or what ever.
    Why not ask the public for suggestions. I'll probably see Breaking Bad characters
    on future stamps. Good Bye America.

I think that the postal service is denigrating its brand by choosing pop culture images for stamps. Important historical figures in US history, cultural landmarks, and heritage sites are more appropriate in that they offer opportunities for young people to learn about the US in a meaningful way. Elevating Harry Potter, Elvis Presley, and their ilk to postage stamp status is just plain wrong.

The stamps should be limited primarily to USA important historical events covering people who achieved important and valuable achievements. which contributed to the welfare of the USA and the world. who created a niche for themselves which other people would like to emulate and thus are worthy of being remembered. For example these would include the founders of our country such as Christopher Columbus, Americus Vispucious (sic), the Vikings who sailed upon our shores prior to Columbus etc. Definitely important presidents like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Lincoln, TR, Roosevelt, Truman and even Obama at the end of his presidency if he comes through as a honorable effective president who did the great things he promised, It should promote the arts, science agriculture, historical events in the USA, e.g. the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, WW!!, Vietnam etc. It should emphasize education aspect amounting to a source of knowledge which will aid and assist in educating our young people about our country.. Many people do not realize that democracy is the best form of government anywhere in the world primarily practiced in the USA more so than most countries. From the above the sales will come because people buy what interests them . The object to is develop interest which brings sales. The system for approving a stamp for collection should be a point system where points are allocated for each category. While promotion of profit is important; it should not be the sole goal; Yet, it can be assigned points which can be used to break a tie when all factors are considered, I am not a stamp collector although I do have some of the First offering of President Kennedy and some other important t stamps that I found interesting.. Potter is ok, but not to consider him primarily.

I believe the primary focus of new stamps issued by the USPS should be on the history & heritage of the USA. Harry Potter was a mistake, at least as a 20 stamp issue. I think it is a disgrace that no stamp was issued for the sesquicentennial of the Gettysburg Address, perhaps the most important speech in our history. Certainly some pop culture is warranted but multi-stamp issues for Star Wars, the Simpsons, Harry Potter are overkill. An occasional foreign person such as Churchill, Mother Theresa, etc is warranted but our primary focus should be on citizens of the USA. Thanks for asking for comments.

Anything that the USPS can do to earn money so as not to keep raising the price of stamps is fine.
    There are times when you just have to mail something so the USPS is here to stay.

The first living people on US Postage and they’re Brits and Irishmen???!!! This is absolutely appalling. The Transformers, 101 Dalmatians, Peanuts, Sesame Street, or Nora the Explorer couldn’t have been chosen? An AMERICAN creation is what deserves to go on a stamp, not a British novel gone cinema.

The people making the decisions on stamps need to listen to the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee and not just fly by the seat of their pants. What appears on US Postage is important and sends a message. The message sent by the Harry Potter Stamps is “we don’t care what we put on a stamp, we just see dollar signs.” Wonder if these stamps will even sell. If someone had done their research, they’d have found out that kids consider Harry Potter to be “very last year.”

This won’t go down in Postal history in a good light and may be looked at as “the desperate period” for stamps.

If stamp sales are slumping, perhaps the Postal Service can appeal to the broader audience;
    • by offering stamps with logos from Twitter - Facebook - YouTube that would appeal to a younger crowd
    • if permitted to issue stamps that do not depict American heritage, perhaps a boost in sales can be achieved from the non-conventional audience, and
    • issuing stamps depicting themes and images that appeal to philatelist, makes sense and probably most profitable since the stamp is rarely used

The Postal Service pays tribute to an individual or movement by placing the image on a stamp. The selection process is not easy, you have to go through a long vetting process to be selected. Being selected to be placed on a stamp is of the highest honor; at least in the Postal Service world.

If the Postal Service really wants to get young people to buy stamps, then you need to put the artist/actor/comedian they currently like on the stamp. This will not go over well with the traditionalist, but young people will love it.

Image if we put Mailey Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Hilary Duff, or One Direction (I google this list) at a local post office. The line will be crazy and the amount of stamps sold will be equally crazy. Even better, stamps can be made from the winners of the 2014 Teen Choice Awards which teens select to honor the best stars of movies, TV and music. The Postal Service needs to connect to the young generation, as many of them don't even know where their local Post Office is located.

Is the Postal Service in the business of commemoration or in the business of selling stamps?