• Reply to: Will Harry Cast a Spell on Young Stamp Collectors?   1 year 8 months ago

Stamps are tradtionally depictions of literary or cultural figures. So tell me how stamps depicting characters fron a series of books that sold millions of copies and inspired thousands of costume parties and other events would not be following in this tradition? Oh I see the problem is that these are books and culture for young people. I can understand the narrow point that the books didn't begin in the United States, but I have to wonder if every other stamp face was also born in the US.

I appreciate the desperation which is driving USPS to Harry Potter, but this is not a solution to the system's economic woes. Issuing Harry Potter stamps may prompt some youngsters to buy and keep a few Harry Potter stamps, but this unfortunate decision is unlikely to turn them into serious collectors -- and, even if a few do stick around, serious stamp collecting is more likely to prompt them to buy Penny Blacks than pop icons, which will do nothing for the USPS bottom line.

I would much prefer to see USPS honor the dedication and knowledge of the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee and not make any further end runs around their advice and counsel. Let's keep our stamps on a higher plane than Harry Potter offers...

The USPS is on a slippery slope, changing and then violating their own rules about stamp subjects. There are good reasons for not allowing living persons portrayed on our stamps, but they cut the time limit from 10 years deceased to 5, then ignored that entirely. If they had relaxed such rules in the recent past, we would've probably had Lance Armstrong stamps issued - think about it. We've got enough reminders already illustrating how our politicians cave in to moneyed interests, and we've already had plenty of stamp subjects chosen just to suck up to Time-Warner (big shippers and users of the mail).

Time Magazine honored Adolf Hitler with a cover in the late 1930's. Do we want our USPS to make a similar blunder?

I'm just saying...

Why not? It might help matters. It certainly won't hurt matters.

Harry potter would make a great stamp. My niece is crazy about harry potter and she would collect all the stamps.please make harry potter stamps

• Reply to: Fall Mailing Season Gets Rolling   1 year 8 months ago

It doesn't sound like you've actually used any of these stamps yet. That black line through "forever" is only on pictures of the stamp. You can also see this same element on many thousands of pictures of denominated stamps. It's there primarily as an anti-counterfeiting device to thwart people from printing out a picture of the stamp and using it instead of a real one. If you're ever able to purchase any of the actual stamps, you'll notice that line is not present.

What does it matter if the only stamps available where young adults shop are flag stamps?

I believe that the USPS is making a big mistake in producing a Harry Potter series of stamps. I doubt seriously that they will appeal to a generation so use to electronic communication, sometimes it seems that there thumbs are actually part of their smart-phone, and have no idea that there is another way to communicate with one another. Now that schools no longer teach cursive writing I fear that the demise of the personal letter is close at hand.

There are way too many original images to publicize the beauty, history and people of the United States than to waste taxpayers money on something entirely British, even though the movies were made by Hollywood. The USPS was wrong to ignore the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee and produce these stamps which even though some might sell I fear the vast majority will remain to be destroyed at some later date.

Instead of trying to find some way to make more money, perhaps the USPS should find a better way to save money, the prime example of this would be to produce fewer new issues and improve their delivery to local Post Offices. The USPS should recognize the fact that increasing first class mail volume is never going to happen and that a large part of stamp revenue is going to come from collectors. Increasing the number of new issues is making it harder for the average collector, with limited resources, to acquire them.

Just my two cents.

I stopped collecting stamps when USPS went to self-adhesive stamps. They can't be removed from an album to trade with other collectors or removed to rearrange a collection.2 I think the Harry Potter stamps look cheap. What happened to the engraved look of commemoratives?
    I'd like to see more art and crafts featured on stamps. I buy every sheet of art related stamps that my local post office has.

This ship has long sailed. The Post Office has been killing stamp collecting for many years. I am 72 and have collected since I was 12. When one goes to stamp shows today, most there are of my age or older. When my generation dies, so will stamp collecting. The first blow by the post office was when they greedily began making plate blocks so big they wouldn't fit on an album page. Collectors quit collecting plate blocks and dumped their existing collections onto the scrap postage market. Then the post office started issuing more stamps per year than a sand dune country. Instead of a dozen commemoratives per year, they put out several hundred with a total face value of hundreds of dollars. I haven't bothered saving new US issues since the 1970's. The final blow was when they put out self-stick stamps that weld themselves to the envelope. Today, even if you occasionally get a letter with a commemorative stamp on it, you can't soak it off. Whether you put Bugs Bunny or Harry Potter on a stamp that few will collect anyway makes no significant difference. Put a dodo bird on it.

I love the Harry Potter idea!!! Stamp collecting is fading and you need to reach the younger generation. I feel that you all do an awesome job and hope you all continue with your innovative, creative ideas!! Keep up the great job!

Selling more stamps comments:
    1. USPS made it harder for postally used stamp collectors via self adhesive stamps (off paper).
    2. Too many commemorative stamps issued in a year. Stick to themes that sell stamps and drop the rest.
    3. USPS does not aid or promote stamp collecting. They spend money on advertising but practically nothing on the hobby.
    4. Younger adults, in general, are seemingly not interested in joining anything that costs money in which there is no return on investment. Hobbies are not very popular.
    5. Young ( under 40-ish) adults do not use stamps, write letters, etc., as much. They use electronic communications to do just about everything.
    6. Increasing stamp sales suggestion: print a small group/lot of multi-colored beautiful stamps that only collectors would be interested in and the rest of the stamps in one color. (create an interest in collecting which could be financially beneficial)
    7. No commercial issues, but select some themes of stamps that are beautiful and meaningful, i.e., (se tennant) stamp(s) for holidays to include past heroes like General Lee, stamp(s) for the 4 seasons of the year with each season as a stand alone...etc...All new issue stamps to have initial lots issued in color then changing to one color, however, if the initial color lot size is issued in too large a quantity, the desire to own stamps will be diminished.

Postage stamps, no matter how scarcely used, reflect the ideals, heritage, and art of the nation that issues them. They are seen not only by our own citizens, but by people worldwide. When our postage stamps celebrate cartoon and fantasy characters, they trivialize our nation in the eyes of others. In so doing, we join the likes of Granada Grenadines, Tonga, Marshall Islands, and others that issue postage stamps with no connection whatsoever to the issuing nation. They are desparate and transparent attempts to make money rather than to commemorate worthwhile national accomplishments. If any other quasi-Government or actual Government agency attempted to raise money by similar means, there would rightfully be national outrage and condemnation. A national postal service is one of the many costs of doing business (running a government in this case). It shouldn't have to make money or break even. Subsidize it!

I would like to think that your comment to make stamps more interesting would make a difference, but I don't believe it will as most young (er) adults, under about the age of 40'ish, have migrated to electronic mail for just about everything....I believe the market to sell more stamps continues to remain with older citizens, especially collectors. As a collector myself, I have found even I have succumbed to electronic communication when I started ordering my collector stamps via the USPS web site. I am going to make a suggestion - comment myself later and maybe you will comment on my thought.

What is the business model for the USPS? I hope selling stamps for profit is not the answer.

I am a life long (old) stamp collector and I have become frustrated and disgusted by countries that sell stamps only for profit by publishing stamps about subjects that have no relevance in the country, only to republish the same stamps with overprints, etc. Is the USPS going the same direction as Burkina Faso and others. This approach actually turns off stamp collecting. Stamps should be limited to Americana. We are the most culturally diverse, geographically gorgeous, scientifically creative countries in the world - lets shown that off.

Stick with the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee.

A small proportion of new stamps can be aimed at appealing to young people. But these should be chosen with discretion. Many people worldwide collect stamps. What they see on our stamps affects their judgment of the U.S. Blatantly commercial stamps do not give a good image of the U.S. Stick with the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee for new issues.

Yes, please. The Harry Potter books are a phenomenon that should be celebrated. Think of how many young people began to read books or went back to reading books because of them. Plus perhaps this will draw more young people becoming interested in philately.

As a taxpayer and consumer of USPS services, I applaud (nearly) any effort to improve the Postal Service's cash flow, but this was one wave of the wand effort at magical thinking that was, well, not well thought out. A British writer's imagination on a stamp featuring a still living British actor failed to inspire me to go out and buy these stamp set. The inverted Jenny, on the other, hand, got me in early for a few sets worthy of framing and gifting. Suggest you continue to find themes that appeal to local patriots (meaning, regional and sub-regional images that local Americans can relate to), or finding ways to weave US and foreign stamps into social studies in elementary and high school curricula. In conclusion, nice try by two thumbs down.

I think its a great idea! I believe that it will drive younger individuals to start collecting stamps! Yay!

Sell advertising space on stamps. Users get free or discounted stamps, while advertisers get exposure in return for subsidizing USPS.

1. Postal Services should not market stamp images that focus on young audience.
    2. Postal Services should not be allowed to develop themes and images that do not focus on American heritage.
    3. Postal Services should develop stamp images based on works of art and history, not based on fads and celebrities.

I believe that the USPS should issue stamps to honor and commemorate real people and events. Issuing stamps for pop culture and characters popular among the masses, denigrates those who are truly worth honoring.

I feel strongly that the United States Postal Service should commemorate the United States with stamps dedicated to historical persons and events, scenic wonders and the like. The USPS should not pander to passing fads like Harry Potter. In my most recent visit to the Post Office, I asked to see the most recent stamps so that I could purchase some interesting ones. After seeing the most recent array of a dozen or so different stamps, I found them so uninspiring that I left the Post Office without purchasing any.

As a librarian and lover of literature, I support the use of literary characters on U.S. stamps. In general, our stamps should reflect home-grown cultural figures and concepts from artists, authors and cultural creators from our country. As a young philatelist, I appreciated the unique cultural voice that each country used for its stamps. Therefore, I support the creations of our own country's unique artistic minds being used on our stamps, for the most part.

However, given that the Harry Potter books have sprung from Scotland specifically and the U.K. more generally -- countries with whom we share a good amount of cultural DNA -- this instance of "borrowing" is acceptable. Also, given the fact that so many young people lack basic epistolary writing skills and do not know about the joys of stamp collecting, I see this as a *magical* opportunity to create an access point to these important concepts. Furthermore, consider the dominant themes of the series: loyalty to friends, love of family, selfless acts of kindness, appreciation for variety of the skills of others and respect of individual differences. These themes echo important concepts to American representative democracy and a psychologically healthy society as a whole.

Considering these aspects of the question, I support the Harry Potter stamp series and applaud the public debate on the issue. Thank you, USPS, for many years of beauty and efficacy, in all that you do, come rain, sleet or falling show.

The Harry Potter stamps are terrific. We could get only two booklets, because they had sold out at our post office. If the Postal Service wants to make money, this is the way to do it. I've purchased stamps from miniscule countries which have a huge portion of their GDP coming from selling stamps of things like Disney films. I would love to see the US issue Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stamps. It's important to remember that the U.S. produced those films and the Harry Potter films. I am a big fan of the Marvel & DC stamps which have been issued and would like to see more. Tying into the science fiction, fantasy, horror, and comics communities would be a great way to go--these people are avid collectors.