• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   2 years 4 months ago

Email Confirmation would be AWESOME. If these machines allowed you to send an email receipt (optionally), it would be extremely useful. I recently paid extra for delivery confirmation. Unfortunately, the tracking number here comes in the form of a receipt instead of on the bright green tag you get at the counter. The receipt was mistakenly thrown away and now there is no way for me to find out if my package was delivered. If there was an option at the end stating "Would you prefer a printed or emailed receipt?" then allowing you to enter your email address if you selected email, it could EASILY prevent similar occurrences. Just a thought if someone with the APC program at the USPS is reading this.

• Reply to: Betting on the Postal Service?   2 years 4 months ago

Right on!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

I agree with this as it would allow the USPS to reduce its maintainance and fuel cost by only requiring 1/2 the number of delivery vehicles.
    They could sell the excess vehicles which would also help.

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   2 years 4 months ago

Raising costs for advertisements is one good suggestion. Also, making stamps available for purchase through retailers like convenience stores, and without charging a fee like some banks charge for buying stamps through the ATM...that is just bad advertising for the postal service.

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   2 years 4 months ago

Please save the beautiful architectural and historic post offices that contain art, sculptures and special murals reflecting the local culture. Rather than move to malls and other shops, KEEP the postal beautiful buildings and lease out unused space from these structures to bring people to the post office. However, keep these post offices functioning as post offices and enhance them.

Selling off and closing post offices will harm the local economies that depend on foot traffic to their stores and businesses. I enjoy going to my local post office, especially those with beautiful murals and historic plaques about the history of the post office and its significance to the local community.

Keep 6 day delivery of mail. Americans need it and there is no reason to change it. Going to 5 days will make the post office less effective and less attractive.

Focus on increasing package delivery. I cannot find any info about the volume of parcels, packages on the USPS website. Why? My understanding is that this is an increasing business mainly because of the e-commerce of the internet. Mail is not just first class mail. People go on the internet and order all sorts of things. Expand USPS to be able to deliver more packages. Packages should not just be sent via FedEx or UPS. They could use a little competition. I like sending my packages via USPS, including using overnight first class mail!

Keep door to door delivery. This is something not even UPS or FedEx does everywhere!

Recalculate the amount of annual funding sent to Treasury towards postal worker health and pension benefits to a normal reasonable level. Whoever calculated the current +$5.5 billion per year caused massive overfunding of these plans. Meanwhile it is clear the retirement funds--all of them--have been so overfunded that USPS should not have to pay anything until this is worked out. And, USPS should be refunded its own money that it overfunded!

Where did the crazy calculations in the Postal Accountability Enhancement Act that created this overfunding scenario of retirement pensions and health plans come from? OIG please look into it. Why should USPS be forced to continue overpaying by $5.5 to $10 billion/year for its health and pensions? This is unfair and wrong and is being misused in claiming USPS is not able to stay afloat.

Let people know the history of every one of their post offices. USPS should have a list of all the post offices, the dates they were created, the type of art that is in the post office, special info about the post offices, especially those that have historic significance available on the USPS website. These buildings are part of our American heritage and I am appalled at the rush to sell off as fast as possible these treasures of the American people before the people can stop it, especially the buildings built during the WPA and New Deal.

The projections used to justify sell off of post offices & postal lands is questionable. Check these projections. Are they accurate?

Ask the postal workers on the front lines their ideas for saving the post office.

Stop outsourcing certain functions of USPS. Is this costing USPS more money than keeping these functions in house? Where are the facts and figures about this?

Thanks.

• Reply to: Social Media – What’s in it for the Postal Service?   2 years 4 months ago

Under the revised ASM social media policy effective October 20, 2011, I'm no longer able to comment on the dangerous practice of overloading LLVs with too many sequenced bundles of mail. I'm also not allowed to comment on how reaching for mail in a vehicle increases the likelihood of another preventable fatal accident. As Chief Risk Officer (Safety Depends on Me!) I feel it's my duty to report my concerns, so I'll link to this page from Twitter if this comment is approved. Thank you OIG.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

1.Why not do what grocery stores do: When the lines out front get long, call people from the back to help out.
    2.Coordinate with local charities, churches, etc. to convert some of excess USPS space into hotels for the homeless, training and job centers for unemployed, computer centers for those who can't afford a computer (libraries do), off campus classrooms for public and private schools who need extra classrooms, facitlities for boys and girls clubs to get poor and homeless children off the streets, health organizations to use full time or one day a week to service local neighborhoods, homeless, etc.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants to Know How You Feel about Sick Leave   2 years 4 months ago

Very useful content, keep up the good work.
    Awesome info, very useful will take into consideration..
    I like this info you are providing here, keep up the good work..

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

Just back for the King of Prussia office at 3:00 PM. Five people ahead of me, ONE clerk and 30 minutes later I was out of the door.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

Here in my area in colorado the front desk service is just way to slow. There will be a long line of about 15 people and there will be only 2 people working the front. This seem to happen way to offten and I wish something could be done about this.

I'm confused here. To the best of my knowledge, this organization has lost an average of $ X.X Billion Dollars in every fiscal quarter, with the exception of (2) two for the past 60 months!
    And, you are suggesting there does not already exist, right now, at L'Enfant Plaza, a strategy, to deploy social media within the next eight quarters, in every USPS retail footprint, you're on the ropes!
    And so, in my humble opinion, you can throw in the towel! Because, like
    the Phone Booth, you'll disappear soon.

• Reply to: What Should the Postal Service Retail Network Look Like in 2020 and Beyond?   2 years 4 months ago

July 2011 marked a new beginning for the Postal Services with the publishing of new rules to improve the Post Office

• Reply to: Training . . . Stay or Pay?   2 years 4 months ago

Appreciate this informative article. That is certainly almost all I could state. Anyone most surely have made this blog into a gift. You clearly know very well what what you are doing, you've protected countless angles. Thanks!

• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   2 years 4 months ago

How hard would it be to figure out the maximum dimensions for the APC and post them somewhere on USPS.com? No wonder the post office is losing money.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

Hi everybody my suggestion to cut postal costs is to do away with stamps and create envelopes with some kind of identifying mark. Perhaps you could pattern it like the bulk rate symbols on bulk rate mail. Make the envelopes simple and perhaps you could use recycled paper. We must do everything we can to keep our postal service going. I am concerned about the number of people that could lose their jobs if Congress doesn't step up to the plate and help the country. thanks for allowing me to give my opinion.

Bernadette

I think further advertising on Facebook, etc. needs to be approached carefully in order to avoid becoming... shall we say "unintentionally humorous?"

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   2 years 4 months ago

I think that it would be fair to charge a flat fee each time a customer requests that their mail be held and then redelivered for a trip. This is a service that is an"add-on" and should be paid for by the users--of which I am one. Also, I think Saturday delivery should be eliminated-we can all make that adjustment and it should be a substantial savings in costs.

• Reply to: There’s More Than One Way to Send a Holiday Card…   2 years 4 months ago

Cards are the best way to express your emotions. Holiday Season means exchange of gifts and cards. What can be better than sending cards from your phone itself?

• Reply to: 21st Century Post Office: Opportunities to Share Excess Resources   2 years 4 months ago

Great Idea! So how about sharing some of you excess health and welfare benefits with me? The cost of basic health insurance for me is $399.00/month w/ $2500.00 deductible/yr. not including dental. This means roughly 33 hours of a single pay period for me goes to paying my premium.

It's a shame that the postal service of old has gone by the bayside and is slowly being replaced by a smothering series of ones, zeros, https, htmls, smpts, abcs, 123s, and elephant bones. The fact of the matter is that no matter what we do about it, it's an ever-engrossing sacagaweaiac respone to the unflagging courage of the American spirit. Together, we can make it happen, if we only get together and cause it to occur.

That's true. Ecards are faster and you get to choose from lots of design. I like the ones with animations and music.

• Reply to: Are They Listening to Me?   2 years 4 months ago

I submitted an idea to local managment about recycling metals. It was in evaluation for two years. I made a transfer to another plant. The idea followed me. My new supervisor disapproved it because the new plant was already doing it. He refused to send it back to the original plant where it applied.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

Based on an analysis i did several years ago of expenses / revenue, i would suggest for the Postal Service:
    ~ simplify rate structure
    ~ partial reduction in service
    ~ restoration of old-fashioned customer treatment

RATES: eliminate all preferential rates - especially the business (bulk) classes of mail. Currently, First Class subsidizes these other classes; no wonder FC customers are leaving in droves. Simplify to where all mail travels either First Class, Priority, or Express

SERVICE: deliver First Class mail three days a week; Mon-Wed-Fri in one delivery area and Tue-Thu-Sat in another. This is better in several ways than the current proposal to just drop Saturdays and reduce distribution sites. Priority and Express would still offer expedited delivery as they do now.

RESTORATION: held and forwarded mail currently is subjected to onerous rules; go back to giving customers what they want and keeping their personal data private. Eliminate all the crazy merchandizing schemes - notice UPS and Fedex are not doing these things.

FINALLY: keep the Federal protection of the mail stream .... this is beneficial to our personal sense of security. The corruption of this concept in recent years should be reversed.

• Reply to: Will Postal Service bosses go undercover in the future?   2 years 4 months ago

I thought everybody at the Post Office was undercover?

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 4 months ago

Ok so I think it is time for the STATIONS to communicate directly with the employees running their mail. I think this simple little form of communication would be AMAZING!!. Clerks at the station need to know that it is the clerks in the processing facilites that decide what mail is processed. If for example carrier 32 has a problem with their mail they can communicate directly with the employees running their zone. Problems will be addressed faster (NOT 2 weeks later) We could decrease overtime!!! If we as processing clerks only knew what the carriers and office clerks needed to do their job successfully