• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 7 months ago

Honda makes a HYDROGEN powered fuel cell electric vehicle, the Honda FCX. From their website:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The FCX Clarity FCEV was designed from the ground up to be a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle that runs on electricity, and emits only water vapor and heat into the air.

Q. How does a fuel cell work?
    A. A fuel cell generates electricity by combining hydrogen and oxygen inside of a fuel cell stack.

Q. The FCX Clarity FCEV is an electric vehicle. Does the FCX Clarity need to be plugged in to recharge?
    A. No, the FCX Clarity FCEV generates its own electricity onboard the vehicle inside the fuel cell. Learn more About Fuel Cells.

Q. Does the FCX Clarity FCEV run on gasoline?
    A. No. The FCX Clarity FCEV does not use any gasoline whatsoever. It runs on clean, domestically produced compressed hydrogen gas. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.

Q. How far can I drive it before I have to refuel?
    A. The FCX Clarity FCEV has a driving range of approximately 240 miles.*

*Fuel economy estimates and driving range based on EPA test data. Your actual driving distance will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.

Q. How and where do I fill up the FCX Clarity FCEV?
    A. A number of hydrogen refueling stations can be found in Southern California with others in development. Honda is also working to develop a Home Energy Station that may eventually supply energy to the home while filling up the car right inside the garage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    At about 240 miles per fillup, I dare say that filling up once in the morning should be more than enough to carry any local delivery vehicle through it's daily route. Hydrogen can be produced in a variety of ways. My favorite is by using WATER - good ol' H2O and photovoltaics (solar panels) for the electricity needed to break it down. So the cost of fuel is about equivalent to the cost of water (plus the initial cost of panels & fuel cells). Apparently the vehicles are only available in Southern California because of the lack of refueling stations. Many fleet operators have refueling stations onsite, there's no reason the USPS couldn't do the same. Putting a refueling station onsite eliminates the need for "refueling infrastructure". With no infrastructure requirement the vehicles would no longer be limited to Southern California - anyplace with access to WATER & SUNLIGHT would be able to have a refueling station. Those without such access could use numerous other materials. Here's an interesting link with a few nice pictures of the process. http://www.making-hydrogen.com/diy-hydrogen.html There are at least several companies that already make & sell hydrogen generators. The technology is here now.

The possibilities don't stop there. The USPS could offer their refueling station to the general public, allowing them to actually make a profit from it, and BECOMING the new refueling infrastructure for America. OR, a nearby site could be used instead of actual USPS premises. Infrastructure is slow to build in general because nobody wants to take on the cost without some kind of guarantee of payback. With the knowledge that their own fleet will be using it, there's no reason not to build a station somewhere "near" postal facilities. Offering it out to average paying customers would be a secondary source of income and/or subsidization of these stations and new fleet vehicles.

The fact that hydrogen is even cleaner than CNG and/or any other petrochemical solution is an added bonus. Just to be clear - the hydrogen is NOT burned. Hydrogen is combined with oxygen using a "fuel cell" and in the process electricity is made which drives the vehicle. The only other byproduct is WATER and heat - no pollution whatsoever. Read about it on Honda's own website.

Finally, there's no need to go all out and commit necessarily. Pick just ONE site. Build a station either onsite or nearby. Buy a few vehicles. See how it all works out. Just don't take forever please.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 7 months ago

Low-cost CNG is a necessary tenet of preserving Last-Mile service. Commercial use of CNG is growing everywhere. Ford is working on a CNG F-150 for commercial use and Honda already has a CNG Civic. Bus fleets have been CNG for a while now. The problem is that the mail truck delivering the mail today is the same one from when I was a kid. Seriously!? USPS could establish partnerships to have CNG refueling across rural America. The problem has been in having stations, not getting the vehicles.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 year 7 months ago

Increasing the percentage of USPS vehicles using alternative fuels is an excellent idea. The 9-ton truck fleet would be an excellent target for conversion to natural gas for instance. Regarding renewal of the delivery fleet, there are many PPP options (such as leasing and other financial models) that would enable the private sector to provide the initial capital needed to acquire the fleet, whereas the Postal Service would pay for use over time.

• Reply to: Returning Purchases through the Postal Service   1 year 7 months ago

• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   1 year 7 months ago

do not use the revamped priority express service! I was expecting a package today by noon - guarenteed- and it is currently listed as undeliverable in some sort warehouse. the receipt i have shows correct zipcode but somehow in ended up in wrong sort facility. I even confirmed with the post office that shipped the package that address is correct. they have mis-sorted it and instead of looking at actual address lable they are sending back to sender. such bad service and I paid $40 for it! never using usps to ship packages EVER!

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 7 months ago

The point is to make requirements with performance based specifications. These specs must be well defined and easily measured with realistc metrics tracked and over a statistically significant time period. Not snap shots; but trend data analysis to ensure performance is realizable and consistent.

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 7 months ago

When Postal Contractors violate their contract are they fined or punished for their actions? Does the USPS inspect and audit these contractors? If an individual witness's a contractor's wrongdoing while processing or transporting the mail, I guess you would advise them to report the action. Does the USPS compensate or pay a finders fee for reporting the wrongdoing. The consequences can be very harmful to that individual's livelihood.

• Reply to: Automated Package Stations – Rapidly Expanding Service in Europe!   1 year 7 months ago

i think it is really a great idea but hope its work.

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 7 months ago

I THINK THE WAY TO ADVERTISE IS STILL WORD OF MOUTH BY EMPLOYEES. WE KNOW OUR CUSTOMERS:} WE KNOW HOW TO TALK TO THEM, WE JUST NEED TO OPEN UP A COUPLE OF CUSTOMERS A WEEK AND DO IT. I RECENTLY DECIDED TO, ONE OF MY FIRST LEADS GAVE US APPROX. $45,000 A YEAR MOSTLY EXPRESS. WHY? BECAUSE I WAS HONEST AND TOLD THEM. LET ME HAVE ONE OF OUR "EXPERTS GIVE YOU A CALL, IF ANYONE CAN WORK FOR YOU, THEY CAN". JACKPOT!

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 7 months ago

How about performance-based delivery? Carriers know the best way to do their jobs. Overall, when given the freedom and accountability to do the job to the best of their ability, I believe the job would be performed more efficiently and productively.

no. they should name it snail-mail. I paid for certified mail on august 5th, for delivery august, 8th, and it just now getting processed- August 12th. not delivered yet. My father passed away; the info was important to us, not important to USPS. no wonder the organization is in trouble. this is not the first time this has happened. I just cant trust this service anymore.

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 7 months ago

Customer service number is always busy. No one ever answers and then it hangs up on you. I went in person to 2 different post offices to try and find my certified letter. Got the run around every time and loads of BS. No one will try to help find it or take any responsibility at all. They are totally inefficient, indifferent and unhelpful. I even spoke to a supervisor in Doraville, Ga. He said it was in the "Delivery Process" and would be delivered "Soon". Today is August 13th. It was mailed on June 24th. I paid $11.00 for certified mail with delivery conformation. I got no delivery no conformation and a lost certified letter. No one could give a damn less. What a rip-off and scam! Maybe they will finally shut down because of this kind of crap. Hope so.

I am unhappy with the name change to Priority express. It is very confusing.

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 7 months ago

All contracts should have a process where OIG and Legal have the option to vet and required sign off before RFP is realized. Too late and expensive to fix after contract award. Only way to get performance based in line

I spend $50,000 a year sending packages by USPS. It matters because as an online retailer, these changes were unannounced, confusing and expensive for us, as businesses, to change. I have been losing money for the past month because I got no notification. I'm just seeing these for the first time and I am awestruck.

I have been a strong supporter of USPS and have been in marketing and advertising for decades. This was terribly mishandled and bungled from start to finish. It's taken my IT guy a month to find and send me these updates. NOBODY understood what was coming.

I have been wrestling with problems on my website, as USPS changed these names. For the past month, none of my orders have been working right because of these changes, that were highly unpublicized. I've spent hundreds of dollars on my tech guy trying to track this down, only to find that these changes went into effect without notice.

I have been on board with USPS and have been a huge supporter, but this has caused more headaches than I can even believe. What a bonehead move. It's cost me hundreds in expenses and probably thousands in lost sales.

• Reply to: Making Global e-commerce E-asy   1 year 7 months ago

I have quit a few packages sent to me monthly. They are picked up in Salt Lake City, sometime sent to Nevada, rerouted back to Salt Lake (if not sent to Nevada, they sit in Salt Lake for 3-5 days) then after approx. 7 days, they make it to my home, 2 miles outside of Salt Lake. I believe the post office has serious issues here. They are wasting so much money on shipping things to the wrong place only to ship them back. My last package was picked up 4 days ago and thru tracking I was able to see that it hasn't been logged since pick up. If I order and use FedEx, my packages arrive 2-3 days, ALWAYS. What is wrong with this picture ? (and FedEx is cheaper also). Are the employees doing unnecessary reroutes for job security ? Or ignoring the packages and kicking back ?

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 7 months ago

It's no wonder why the postal service is losing money. I had a package shipped to me in Louisiana from Illinois. The package went from Illinois to Tennessee to California and back to Tennessee before supposedly heading to Louisiana. Its been in route for 7 days now and I still haven't received it. All the USPS customers service reps can tell me is that because it's a ground shipment, the trucks take different routes when dropping packages. Tennessee to California and back to Tennessee. Please!!!

Ecommerce user here. Daily shipper of 4 to 10 packages, more around the holidays. You should have renamed Parcel Post to "Economy" and left Priority and Express alone. Now people will doubt whether the new "Priority Express" is overnight like the old "express mail" used to be.

As a shipper, I do appreciate the addition of free insurance and the clearer, more exact, estimated delivery times for Priority now. Thanks for that part.

The other name changes were really unecessary and will serve to confuse.

Exactly. ^^

Way to go, geniuses. Nothing like making your products even more confusing to the general public by prefixing "priority mail" to the express mail product. What dolt with a marketing degree right out of college came up with that brilliant plan? The general public is already ignorant enough of mail classes. Is it your plan to simply trick them into buying the express mail product by renaming it? If so, then maybe you're not so dumb, but you're certainly less trustworthy.

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 7 months ago

No one has said it better than rural carrier Mike S. The only thing you left out Mike was the money wasted on the "audit" teams traveling around checking to see if the rural carriers came back to get the 2-3 late letters, another big waste of money.

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 7 months ago

I have worked as a rural carrier since 1987 and thankfully will be hitting the door for the last time in less than 4 months. The issue with OT (or in the rural carrier's case, extra pay, as we are "salaried") is one that has many causes and could be easily addressed in most cases. For brevity's sake, I will address just two. First example is the idiotic practice of second trips all because a district manager wants to make his numbers look good. A piece or pieces come in after the carrier has left the office to deliver the route. But because these pieces might affect the EXFC score, managers require the carrier to go back out to deliver 1 or 2 letters that in almost all cases will sit in the mailbox until the next day. So if, for example, I have to drive 15 miles round-trip for 1 letter. I'll be paid somewhere around $30-$35 extra. There have even been sub carriers, not working a route, that travelled over 200 miles because a piece of priority mail was misdirected by the processing plant and again, it might make the manager's numbers look bad. In this example the sub made, wages and mileage, around $300. This happens a LOT! The second example is having carriers work their relief, or off, day. This happens due to a lack of relief carriers. Carriers can make 150% of their daily rate of pay for working their relief day if they chose, or make a half-day's pay with a paid day off. This could be alleviated simply by hiring more subs, but the powers that be have brain-washed lower level managers into believing the post office is going to 5 days and they refuse to hire new subs. The figures put out for one year (a few years ago) was something like $155 million for carriers working their off day.

USPS Express Mail is printed on the label as 2 Day. Even for packages with the one day (next day) guaranteed delivery. USPS employees will look at the 2 day and abandon the package until the 2nd day even though it would clearly say the guaranteed delivery day is one day not two. This is causing massive confusion to both employees and consumers. I have shipped three packages so far and all three packages missed the guaranteed date (Packages were actually delivered in TWO days, not One day as promised by the guaranteed delivery and the tracking number). That is simply because of the confusing label. I am asking for my money back on all three packages now..
    IF you want to change the name at least label it correctly.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 year 7 months ago

Due to family illness, I travel from my home in Georgia to Pennsylvania frequently. Despite having submitted an online change of address form mail is intermittently left at my home in Ga. or marked return to sender. My banks and other billers become concerned when the bills are returned to them,bills get paid late because they are sitting in Ga. while I am in Pa. Today I went to USPS to extend the temporary address change and after failing online called the USPS telephone number. I was told my confirmation number is not used by the post office. However I saved the email sent by USPS and the number I gave the person on the phone is the number sent to me by the postal workers change of address site. How do you expect to remain in business when this simplee service is so badly managed ?