• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 11 months ago

It's good to gradually modernize the post office and with the advent of technology is inevitable and is not used as much as in the past. Still can innovate new services and attract new customers. Greetings.

• Reply to: Masters of Innovation   3 years 11 months ago

That the USPS has introduced a new look to its website and BROKEN the ability to buy stamps and labels can only mean it wasn't tested. Who is the idiot in charge of this?

• Reply to: A Future Mail Processing and Transportation Network   3 years 11 months ago

In theory, it would be great to reduce the number of processing plants. The reality is far different however. My plant is on the list to be closed. The only thing holding it up is transportation. Our transportation network cannot figure out how to get the mail from another plant to the AO’s early in the morning with the DPS. Think about the logistics required to move mail from Springfield MA to Fort Kent Me within six hours. That’s not happening. But, that idea is what the OIG is proposing.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

Congress wants the USPS to save money, yet evertime the USPS wants to close a facility the citizens as well as the conressman dislike the plan. Maybe we need an idea such as an added property tax similar to the tax portion that funds the public school system.

• Reply to: Fundamental Questions for the Future of the Postal Service: How Would You Answer Them?   3 years 11 months ago

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon....

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

Keep Closed PO Name and ZIP...
    In regard to the closing of small post offices -- I understand the need to close some very small POs and to consolidate others. In fact, I would favor it. However, I live in a very rural area and use one of those small post offices, which very well may close in the near future. My main concern is that I do not want to change my mailing address. I've had the same address for all of my 64 years, and my family had the same address long before I was born. In our situation, there is a second small PO nearby which will remain open and where most of the customers at my PO will likely go. I believe that our PO's name and zip code should be continued and our mail simply delivered to a new location at the nearby PO. That way, the least-used unit can close and thereby save some costs, but those of us at the closed unit can keep our longstanding mailing addresses. I expect that a bureauracy like the Postal System is unlikely to consider such practical solution to a customer problem but it should be easy to impliment and make many customers more likely to accept the changes that are likely to come.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

Exactly what I have been thinking. You can cut your carrier labor in half. Any Next Day packages can be handled by a special carrier for the addresses not receiving mail that day.

• Reply to: Introduction to Contract Fraud – False Claims and Statements   3 years 11 months ago

This practice is absolutely INCORRECT! So long as the PO Box rent is paid, we hold the mail indefinitely.

Please take the initiative to get the correct instruction for handling mail that exceeds the POB capacity. If you need assistance, I may be reached at 623 932 6922.

Mishandling mail is what hurts our brand; our customer's talk and our business suffers.

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 11 months ago

Internet cafe? Coffee? The Postal Service's greatest asset is that we are so accessible. Every carrier is your access to the Post Office. Rural carriers are like mini post offices that come to you everyday. They sell stamps mail your package, they just can't do a passport. Yet the Postal Service doesn't advertise this. Why, probabaly because the public can't tell the difference between the types of carriers. If all carriers had the ability to do what the APC does (take a credit and debit card transaction) we would have litterally thousands of Post Offices around the country and they come to you! I think the Post Office should stop following others by replicating past great ideas and have a unque idea of their own. Great businesses know how to look at their strengths and build on them. The Postal Service should continue to reduce brick and mortar locations and build on their strengths. That is the way to move ahead in the future.

it's hard to compare NYC to the rest of America. In 2010 census the whole state of Texas reached the same population of NYC in 1930...

I see the govt doesn't run the day to day operations of USPS anymore. the PMG got a pay raise while laying off workers. What is that all about? Wouldn't be surprised if competitors are lobbying congress to get rid of USPS. How can USPS be making less money? The past few years I've gotten tons of junk mail. That's money for USPS. How did they survive in the past when I used to get a couple of pieces of mail once every few days??

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

I was puzzled by your post. I am a carrier and have always wondered why CFS labels say temp fwd exp, deliver to old address. If the person has actually moved and not just been temporarily away, I always hold for 10 days for a permanent order and if none comes I turn in a MLNA order. Of course you don't deliver it to the old address where there are usually new people by this time.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

I stoped to get mail at po # 61734 I had a note to go to counter as a item was too large to fit. well I am working 40 miles from home the po office is open at 9 am i stoped at 7:45 knock on door as I have for 28 years to get a item the clerk yelled through door i open at 9 I replied I just need to get A item that is too big she replys open at 9 i am buzzy she will not give my under 18 daughter mail as she is too young all this over a phone book? well I know know why the PO is loosing you people (some of you) do not know what custmer service is or care change before you are gone. ps maybe if you watch merical on 34 street the old post office ways were not too bad

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

How about segmenting each city or town, etc., in half.
    Deliver mail to one half on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Deliver mail to the other half on Tue, Thu and Sat.
    How much will this save?
    Who cannot live with this?

There needs to be a reason why your mail is being returned as "refused". I recently had a customer that continuosly would NOT GET HER MAIL OUT OF HER BOX. Policy is that we pull the mail out of box when full, leave a mailbox overflow notice, in which the customer has 10 days to pick up mail, if they dont, there mail is returned as "refused", or "unclaimed". After doing this 3 times, then I have the right to stop delivering there mail, and send it all back as "refused", or "unclaimed". On the mailbox overflow notice, it CLEARLY STATES THAT POSTAL CUSTOMERS HAVE 72 HOURS TO GET THERE MAIL OUT OF THERE MAIL BOX.
    Just some feedback from a carrier, that is curious as to why your mail is being returned, "refused".

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

Another VERY GOOD idea, to add to that, managers, or whoever handles the bulk business mailings, need to keep the mailing list, (vacancy list) up to date. Carriers, (26 years with PO) have been losing there jobs for tossing 4th class bulk mailings in the UBBM, then management goes out checks if the particular address is vacant, no vacant card, then they get there walking papers!!!!!!!! No investigative interview, no warning, NOTHING, JUST WALKING PAPERS! Whom is held accountable for not keeping these mailings lists current?

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

that is the best idea i've heard in a long time!

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

How much money did the government or USPS spend on these flat sorting machines? I have a pretty good idea, and you always here about how much the PO is losing money. What about the GPS tracking devices they are talking about putting in the LLV's? That would be another waste of money. And some of these branch managers make as much as our major makes!!!! Where is the logic in that??? The PO needs to look at were they are wasting money first, then look at cost efficiency strategies.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

You are one of the VERY few that has had this happen 3 x's. You have to keep in mind the PO handles millions of pieces of mail a day, and thousands of parcels a day. I would say 3x's to a couple of thousand is not a bad ratio. Everyone needs to remember that human error is always a factor!
    I have been carrying mail for 10 years, and I have only had a problem with the loss of a package once! it was recovered, but again, it was human error!

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 11 months ago

Great publishing i liked your job, post offices must evolve or they face a doomed future

• Reply to: Give Customers What They Really Want   3 years 11 months ago

Let us all be thankful that the postal system we have are better than those like in the third world.Even snail mails gets lost.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Monitor Packaging Supplies?   3 years 11 months ago

Why make things more complicated, more management and admin....I say focus on cuts and keep it simple!

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

Stop wasting time and money controverting injured employee claims. You know the environment is filled with hazards that are swept under the rug, so stop aggravating us and let us recover!

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

The USPS is having budget problems. Here is a cost cutting idea; change the regulation that requires you to deliver to the wrong address after a permanent 90 forward expires.

When John Doe moves, he can leave a 90 day forwarding address, but at the end of 90 days, the forward expires, even though the move is permanent.
    Consequently, on the 91st day, knowing that it is the old address, the PO has to revert to sending Mr. Doe’s mail to whatever is written on the envelope, delivering to the wrong address.
    Once the envelope is delivered and returned to the PO, it can be labeled MLNFA, and returned to sender, but in the meantime, it has cost the USPS money in gas and delivery time, and double processing (pre-delivery & post-delivery).

On the forward form, include a check box that authorizes the USPO, to notify first class mailers of an expired permanent forward, starting day 91. Contracts for non-first class mail should say that unless sender agrees to pay first class return, after 90 days, second class mail will be recycled without being returned.

Create a post 90 day db field that pulls information from the permanent 90 day forward, and adds that information to the labels printed for MLNFA. When returning John Doe’s first class mail to sender, telling the sender to contact the recipient to update their records.

For repeat failures to correct the mailing address, enter large volume senders in a database. If you send them multiple notices, and they continue to mail to known expired addresses, contact the PO of origin, to look at the rate paid, to see if it is discounted. If so, notify the mailer that future notices will result in postage surcharges, based on the number of mislabeled envelopes.

Setting up the check box, and returning expired forward 1st class mail without delivery eliminates the cost of gas to deliver to an address you know to be erroneous, and cuts handling from 2 steps to 1 step.

If you make it cheaper to correct addresses than to pay penalties for the thousands of pieces of MLNFA mail, perhaps you can get mass mailings that now clog your systems to reflect their actual cost.

Rentals receive 1st class mail for tenants who have not lived there for a decade and more. Some weeks there is a stack of 2 – 3 inches of mis-directed mail. I mark it MLNFA, and dump it back at the post office, but it has eaten up carrier time, and distribution time, and gas money. Mail has come through from pension plans, universities, and medical/ dental offices. It might be important, it might be sensitive, on day 90, you knew was permanently expired, on day 91, it shouldn’t be delivered to an address that you know is wrong.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 11 months ago

I recently placed an order online and it went from Fed Ex to Postal service. I tracked on computer. It was delivered within 60 miles of my residence - {USPS}then went to Cincinnati,Ohio - where it laid for 3 days - from there to Warrendale,Pa and from there to Allen Park, Michigan - then back to Ohio to my residence. Is it any wonder Postal service is low on money - look at all the wasted gas!!! What a joke. This is about the 3rd time this has happened for me.