• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 10 months ago

I totally agree! Just add coffee, donuts? and maybe some little crunchies that anyone can enjoy while passing time. :)

• Reply to: We “Advertise” for You?   3 years 10 months ago

The post office needs to be more aggressive in reducing their business loss. Selling there space on the mail vehicle would be a good start

• Reply to: Envisioning the Future   3 years 10 months ago

I am agree with the GOLDIE comment.Thanks for giving such an informative blog.

• Reply to: Mail to the Future?   3 years 10 months ago

Is this in effect now? Because I definitely would love to use it!

• Reply to: Postal Service Customer Service Is It Working for You?   3 years 10 months ago

On April 29, a retailer shipped a music CD I had purchased using First Class mail with Delivery Confirmation. It is now May 25. I'm in north Texas; the retailer shipped from either California or New York. In either case, it historically does not take almost an entire month to ship something First Class. Typically even a mere week is sufficient. I used to order tobacco from Sweden awhile back, and almost every single time using the Swedish Post and the USPS, it still took exactly seven days to arrive. The retailer has been kind enough to ship out a second copy, and I offered to ship one back if I ever receive both of them.

USPS.com has been essentially useless other than telling me that they've received electronic notification of shipment, and providing me with the 1-800-ask-usps number. Calling in was a nightmare trying to weed through a useless automated system that could not tell me anything with the "tracking" number I have, since it's really just a delivery confirmation number. After getting back to the main menu and repeatedly pressing 0, the system finally connected me to a real person who repeatedly apologized, put in a case and gave me a confirmation number, telling me to expect a call back on Friday. We'll see, but I have a feeling that nothing's going to happen.

• Reply to: Maximizing the Postal Service’s Mobile Presence   3 years 10 months ago

I agree this new www.uspseverywhere.com website is disappointing.

• Reply to: Too Costly to Keep On Truckin?   3 years 10 months ago

Technology could give the LLVs new life.

• Reply to: We “Advertise” for You?   3 years 10 months ago

Certain types of advertising are always out of bounds but selling advertising on Postal Service property should not violate the law. Just my opinion.

• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   3 years 10 months ago

I am for automation to avoid long lines that is a plus. It will work because it worked for the secretary of the state branches. I start using the USPS more often because I found that it is cheaper than most shipping companies and my items arrive not broken that is a plus.

• Reply to: How Can the Postal Service Reduce the Costs Associated with Postage Stamps?   3 years 10 months ago

I believe their should be some type of electronic system that automate to speed up the process and save money on paper. I do not think we should stay with a concrete price for stamps because of inflation and deflation the USPS need to adjust there prices according to the economy.

http://www.uspseverywhere.com/ is very disappointing for people who live in urban/suburban areas that are experiencing an explosive growth as there are hardly any amenities available for customers to purchase items. Let's take where your headquarters are e.g. Washington D.C, where there is explosive growth near the subway stations

It was very difficult to find postal products or services with the parameters provided. I could find some of what I needed e.g. stamps but not all of what I needed e.g. shipping products. This is not good planning and provides me with a poor customer experience. Gas is almost 4.00 a gallon and some people don't even have cars. Can you imagine people hopping all over town just to get everything they need? One place for stamps and the other place for shipping supplies....

So, if you can't do more locations that are convenient to your urban customers just have them purchase everything on the mobile phone. I would like you to build an app so that I can purchase USPS postal products and service via my mobile phone. I would love to utilize my mobile phone to purchase everything all at one time and have them sent to my home. Send a message via text to have my mail carrier to come pick-up my package and have it delivered to the destination. I can just put my mail in the slot for the next delivery. You do know there is a Netflix app right?!

I actually wasn't aware that USPS even had an App available, so thank you for this post.
    I am downloading the App now as I am always looking for better technical solutions for business use. I can instantly see that the track and confirm feature will come in handy when a customer rings while I am on the road. Thanks again USPS, a job well done.

Thanks for pointing that out, mhoodallen. Our initial evaluation of the USPS mobile application missed those features. We'll update the article to reflect these features, but as you point out, the UPS app still has more features than the USPS app, such as the price quote. Also, you are correct in that the USPS app is difficult to use, bringing up an entirely different set of issues. Thanks again.

• Reply to: Stamp Vending Machines   3 years 10 months ago

I checked. It was removed because it didn't generate inimum revenue required.

I recently downloaded the USPS and UPS mobile app on my Android phone. I noticed that the USPS app has the following features:

1. Locations: it allows you to search for Post Office locations, Automated Postal Centers, and Collection Boxes.

2. Zip Code: you can search for zip codes based on the address or city. It also provides information on the cities within a specific zip code.

3. Track and Confirm: you can enter a tracking number in the provided box to retrieve the tracking information on your package.

4. About: selecting this option will take the customer to a list of options: About USPS, USPS.com, Terms and Conditions, Get a Free Flat Rate Shipping Kit, and Settings.

Options 2 thru 4 mentioned above are actually hard to find because it is not on the initial page once the application opens. I had to press the Menu button on my Android phone in order to get these additional options.

After browsing both USPS and UPS mobile apps, I think that USPS should give its customers the option for a package price quote similar to the quote feature on UPS mobile app. In addition, all features of the mobile app should be placed on the first page upon opening the application. I could see someone looking at it for the first time and having the assumption that the USPS mobile app only allows customers to search for locations.

• Reply to: Neighborhood Mail and the Future of the Postal Service   3 years 10 months ago

The item the OIG has not addressed in the simplified mail program or EDDM, as the Postal Service is calling it, is the potential loss of revenue. The Postal Service has gone to great lengths to ensure that not one single penny drops through the cracks at any bulk mail acceptance unit--even at the expense of mailers. Most all small offices were deemed "non" acceptance units recently and mailers who chose to continue to mail were forced to drive to larger offices. Most of the mailers, churches or others with only a few mailings a month were forced to revert back to paying full price for postage, while the offices that absorbed the mailings increased their workloads and were subject to audit after audit about such trivial things as where they set the mailings after they were accepted. Now, to increase bulk mailings the Postal Service will allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry--permit or not, to walk up to the retail window and drop off a mailing and just hand the window clerk the money for the mailing??? ARE YOU KIDDING??? While the freaking auditors are coming in the back door checking on the pennies from the other mailers? What gives? The window clerk has NO bulk mail training. They know NOT what to charge. Some of the Postal Service window eqipment does not even have an account identifier code to put the money into--IF the clerk chooses to do so. There is NO placard produced to put on the mail--that the AUDITORS IN THE BACK ARE LOOKING FOR ON THE REST OF THE MAIL. Another example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, but in the case of the Postal Service, it is "not caring" instead. Same 'ole, same 'ole.

• Reply to: Mail to the Future?   3 years 10 months ago

WOW. As I started to read this I thought, "Weird! Why would anyone want to do this?" but as I continued I started to see the potential benefits.
    It would be great to write love letters, send birthday, valentine and anniversary cards to your loved one in advance so that you could never get in trouble for forgetting the dates!

• Reply to: Give Customers What They Really Want   3 years 10 months ago

I've found to postal service very necessary for internet based businesses. For instance I like the option of carrier pick-up for paypal related transaction. This is a wonderful service from our government

Note to USPS: street time labor is a variable cost. See above.

As a letter carrier with my own flats strategy (no one cares what that might be), I favor separate bundles with no variation in size and shape. Postal FSS is the wrong FSS.

CHRISTYINTX for PMG!

With all the reports in the industry that postal sales people are concentrating their effort on existing direct mail customers, there won't be any increase in volume from the EDDM program. Nice try, but with some of the horror stories coming from MSPs across the country, this program is driving a bigger wedge between the Postal Service and its best chance at growing mail volumes, which is working with mail service providers!

The Postal Service has been kicking MSPs for over ten years. It is time to start looking at who is preparing and delivering mail to postal docks. It sure isn't mail owners! They do not and can not work with your policies, procedures or employees. It is time for the USPS to realize that mail service providers are integral in direct mail marketing and figure out how to partner with us to grow sales. MSPs are the experts in direct mail marketing, not the USPS.

You are supposed to be experts at delivery. But for the last few years you have even failed at that! The only way the Postal Service is going to grow mail volume is if we do it together!

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   3 years 10 months ago

Whichever way you look at it postage is still relatively cheap for the service you get.

• Reply to: Top 10 Postal Stories of 2010   3 years 10 months ago

That is crazy. An overpayment of $75 billion! Did they release any information as to how that happened? It would be interesting to see if it was something steady over the years or if it was dominant in particular periods of government administration.

• Reply to: Taking the Postal Platform to the Digital World   3 years 10 months ago

I don't think that the USPS could ever successfully implement an e-mail system. Why would people pay to send e-mails when they could send them for free at Hotmail or Yahoo etc. Adopting advertising would corrupt the integrity of the USPS because now citizen's security would be compromised. The USPS would be under the mercy of its commercial supporters, and not the consumers.

There is also a large degree of distrust between the American people and its government right now. Corruption, lies, cover-ups. Every law enforcement body, without warrant or merit, would be accessing and reading people's mail secretly and without notice. As such is the climate in America today.People aren't afraid because of them breaking any laws, but because they're being publicly ostracized for their non-conformist thinking and views. Because there exists a possibility, that a non-identifiable person with access could use private information to black mail citizens, steal ideas, or marketable concepts. Because they could and it would be hard to prove.

How will you protect citizens from ID theft? Have them scan birth certificates, Driver's licenses, or Social Security Cards? Now you just created an online target filled with those sensitive documents for theives. What if ID thieves create these accounts using stolen credentials before the actual citizens sign up for them? How will a citizen then be able to lay claim to that name and address? Months of paperwork and expensive court litigation to prove you're Jhon Smith and should have that mail address. Because I assume it won't be long before the credit bureaus have unprecidented access to these databases of citizens in order to cut down on Identity theft and this will make the accounts both necessary and a target. I consider it a severe security risk. Credit Bureaus are the number one biggest leakers of personal information. Anyone can get a report on anyone. Now they have access to whatever documents or security tokens you will require in order to sign up and use your e-mail system. That information clerk making minimum wage at Experian can now secretly sell that to whoever they choose. And the USPS doesn't have any control over it.

Sure I'm speculating. But if its possible, its a problem. Because that means someone will try and take advantage of the system down the road and many people will suffer for it.

just have no delivery on saturday and come out of the dark ages...or at least stop all walking routes which are arcaic

Ive always hated advertising mail mainly because I think it is a waste of trees but if it is coupons/ promotions of local business, then I do like to receiver the mail. Some advertising mail is this national, generic shot in the dark. Advertising from local companies is different because I could walk or drive their anytime. I love receiving my Sunday paper with coupons to Sweet Tomatoes and Long Horn or just a simple add from Applebees letting me know that in Boynton Beach, Fl they have a half off lunch special. I do everything online now and the only mail I want to receive is some good local coupons and gift packages.