• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 12 months ago

I have been thinking as an ex CEO of a large company about the USPS budget. I make the following recommendations:
    1. Cut the TV and other advertising in half 2. Paper products are very high- cut all the extra things that are printed on a receipt when I buy/purchase item to no more than having on the receipt: name of post office, date, clerk's name
    items purchased, total ot purchase, method of payment( check, debit or cred card or cash. End of receipt. I don't need the other 12 inches of info that is always printed on the receipt. 3. Why not have a drive in window from 7am -6pm (split shifts) for stamps or money orders only (no packages). It works for banks, why no the post office. Thank you.

• Reply to: A Future Mail Processing and Transportation Network   3 years 12 months ago

Read with interest that US mail was originally only post office to post office and only expanded to home delivery based on a congressional approval that required it be cost effective. Go back to that... issue a suit for specific performance. If you wait for a fratured congress to issue an approval you've acccomplished nothing...

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 12 months ago

A suggestion to eliminate waste in USPS services and processes could financially turn cartwheels. Through Villanova University I studied Lean Sigma and Six Sigma. These simple
    systems can make processes simpler, with less repetitive steps. It can save huge amounts of
    manhours and efforts. The emphasis is not to point finger at people but at process so that best results are mapped most efficiently. I'm a Lean Sigma Analyst and know the change in employee morale with the improements gained from a lean analysis can be incredibly positive also to save time and money. Some companies can afford new capital equipment after savings from using Lean Sigma. The US Postal System is too wonderful to let go. I intend to send fax to Postmaster General P.R. Donohoe and maybe B. Rapoza of US National Association of Postmasters. God Bless the Post Office! My brother is a postal employee and works triple hard to deliver best results. I believe Lean Sigma can greatly advantage the US Postal System if done right. By that I mean not just for status but for getting the real everyday results that count and can be counted. God Bless America.

Instead of closing hundreds of Post Office locations around the country, why not discontinue Saturday delivery at every location. This will Dramatically reduce costs in labor and fuel but will help keep thousands of jobs. And I believe the change will be easier to receive since UPS and FEDEX already do the same.

Regarding the potential closings of Post Offices nationwide:

Instead of closing hundreds of Post Office locations around the country, why not discontinue Saturday delivery at every location. This will dramatically reduce costs for labor and fuel and will help keep thousands of jobs. And I believe the change will be easier to receive since UPS and FEDEX already do the same.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 12 months ago

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. We will take your comments under consideration in our future work.

• Reply to: Introduction to Contract Fraud – False Claims and Statements   3 years 12 months ago

Ms. Suzanne replied to a customer getting STREET delivery not PO Box mail. Although the Post Office will keep a PO box customers mail till the rent is up . . . it is NOT indefinitely.

• Reply to: A Future Mail Processing and Transportation Network   4 years 4 hours ago

Why not requisition a clue. You guys are so incredibly incompetent and inefficient. Save the taxpayers billions by shutting down. Let the private sector take over. You know, the guys that actually give a d@mn about operating logically, because they don't have a huge government teat with which they can constantly and massively drain the citizens.

• Reply to: What is the Office of Audit and why do we blog?   4 years 4 hours ago

thanks for your information.. Great post

----------
    Sara

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   4 years 9 hours ago

It's good to gradually modernize the post office and with the advent of technology is inevitable and is not used as much as in the past. Still can innovate new services and attract new customers. Greetings.

• Reply to: Masters of Innovation   4 years 11 hours ago

That the USPS has introduced a new look to its website and BROKEN the ability to buy stamps and labels can only mean it wasn't tested. Who is the idiot in charge of this?

• Reply to: A Future Mail Processing and Transportation Network   4 years 12 hours ago

In theory, it would be great to reduce the number of processing plants. The reality is far different however. My plant is on the list to be closed. The only thing holding it up is transportation. Our transportation network cannot figure out how to get the mail from another plant to the AO’s early in the morning with the DPS. Think about the logistics required to move mail from Springfield MA to Fort Kent Me within six hours. That’s not happening. But, that idea is what the OIG is proposing.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 14 hours ago

Congress wants the USPS to save money, yet evertime the USPS wants to close a facility the citizens as well as the conressman dislike the plan. Maybe we need an idea such as an added property tax similar to the tax portion that funds the public school system.

• Reply to: Fundamental Questions for the Future of the Postal Service: How Would You Answer Them?   4 years 15 hours ago

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon....

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 17 hours ago

Keep Closed PO Name and ZIP...
    In regard to the closing of small post offices -- I understand the need to close some very small POs and to consolidate others. In fact, I would favor it. However, I live in a very rural area and use one of those small post offices, which very well may close in the near future. My main concern is that I do not want to change my mailing address. I've had the same address for all of my 64 years, and my family had the same address long before I was born. In our situation, there is a second small PO nearby which will remain open and where most of the customers at my PO will likely go. I believe that our PO's name and zip code should be continued and our mail simply delivered to a new location at the nearby PO. That way, the least-used unit can close and thereby save some costs, but those of us at the closed unit can keep our longstanding mailing addresses. I expect that a bureauracy like the Postal System is unlikely to consider such practical solution to a customer problem but it should be easy to impliment and make many customers more likely to accept the changes that are likely to come.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 1 day ago

Exactly what I have been thinking. You can cut your carrier labor in half. Any Next Day packages can be handled by a special carrier for the addresses not receiving mail that day.

• Reply to: Introduction to Contract Fraud – False Claims and Statements   4 years 1 day ago

This practice is absolutely INCORRECT! So long as the PO Box rent is paid, we hold the mail indefinitely.

Please take the initiative to get the correct instruction for handling mail that exceeds the POB capacity. If you need assistance, I may be reached at 623 932 6922.

Mishandling mail is what hurts our brand; our customer's talk and our business suffers.

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   4 years 1 day ago

Internet cafe? Coffee? The Postal Service's greatest asset is that we are so accessible. Every carrier is your access to the Post Office. Rural carriers are like mini post offices that come to you everyday. They sell stamps mail your package, they just can't do a passport. Yet the Postal Service doesn't advertise this. Why, probabaly because the public can't tell the difference between the types of carriers. If all carriers had the ability to do what the APC does (take a credit and debit card transaction) we would have litterally thousands of Post Offices around the country and they come to you! I think the Post Office should stop following others by replicating past great ideas and have a unque idea of their own. Great businesses know how to look at their strengths and build on them. The Postal Service should continue to reduce brick and mortar locations and build on their strengths. That is the way to move ahead in the future.

• Reply to: A Future Mail Processing and Transportation Network   4 years 2 days ago

it's hard to compare NYC to the rest of America. In 2010 census the whole state of Texas reached the same population of NYC in 1930...

I see the govt doesn't run the day to day operations of USPS anymore. the PMG got a pay raise while laying off workers. What is that all about? Wouldn't be surprised if competitors are lobbying congress to get rid of USPS. How can USPS be making less money? The past few years I've gotten tons of junk mail. That's money for USPS. How did they survive in the past when I used to get a couple of pieces of mail once every few days??

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 2 days ago

I was puzzled by your post. I am a carrier and have always wondered why CFS labels say temp fwd exp, deliver to old address. If the person has actually moved and not just been temporarily away, I always hold for 10 days for a permanent order and if none comes I turn in a MLNA order. Of course you don't deliver it to the old address where there are usually new people by this time.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 2 days ago

I stoped to get mail at po # 61734 I had a note to go to counter as a item was too large to fit. well I am working 40 miles from home the po office is open at 9 am i stoped at 7:45 knock on door as I have for 28 years to get a item the clerk yelled through door i open at 9 I replied I just need to get A item that is too big she replys open at 9 i am buzzy she will not give my under 18 daughter mail as she is too young all this over a phone book? well I know know why the PO is loosing you people (some of you) do not know what custmer service is or care change before you are gone. ps maybe if you watch merical on 34 street the old post office ways were not too bad

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 2 days ago

How about segmenting each city or town, etc., in half.
    Deliver mail to one half on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Deliver mail to the other half on Tue, Thu and Sat.
    How much will this save?
    Who cannot live with this?

• Reply to: Introduction to Contract Fraud – False Claims and Statements   4 years 2 days ago

There needs to be a reason why your mail is being returned as "refused". I recently had a customer that continuosly would NOT GET HER MAIL OUT OF HER BOX. Policy is that we pull the mail out of box when full, leave a mailbox overflow notice, in which the customer has 10 days to pick up mail, if they dont, there mail is returned as "refused", or "unclaimed". After doing this 3 times, then I have the right to stop delivering there mail, and send it all back as "refused", or "unclaimed". On the mailbox overflow notice, it CLEARLY STATES THAT POSTAL CUSTOMERS HAVE 72 HOURS TO GET THERE MAIL OUT OF THERE MAIL BOX.
    Just some feedback from a carrier, that is curious as to why your mail is being returned, "refused".

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   4 years 2 days ago

Another VERY GOOD idea, to add to that, managers, or whoever handles the bulk business mailings, need to keep the mailing list, (vacancy list) up to date. Carriers, (26 years with PO) have been losing there jobs for tossing 4th class bulk mailings in the UBBM, then management goes out checks if the particular address is vacant, no vacant card, then they get there walking papers!!!!!!!! No investigative interview, no warning, NOTHING, JUST WALKING PAPERS! Whom is held accountable for not keeping these mailings lists current?