• Reply to: Training . . . Stay or Pay?   3 years 10 months ago

I have seen Boss's send people to school when it was well known that the employee was going to retire within months just out of spite. You are asking for management to use common sense but that only happens about 50% of the time.

• Reply to: Training . . . Stay or Pay?   3 years 10 months ago

Sure if the USPS is will to pay for all employees costs (everything including home) when they excess an employee to a new office and then turn around and excess them from there within months. USPS sign contract that if they excess an employee to any office within 5 yrs of either employment or previous excess then the USPS will pay 100% of everything involved with the excessing.

• Reply to: Training . . . Stay or Pay?   3 years 10 months ago

The flaw in that logic is most times we are being trained in equipment that NO ONE ELSE USES!
    And usually the training is a requirement, not something we sought.
    Unless of course you are propsing a serfdom of involuntary servitude. In which case, your argument makes sense.
    So, make this new rule, then close the schools. Because no one will go.

• Reply to: Neighborhood Mail and the Future of the Postal Service   3 years 10 months ago

OK Here's my comment. I live in Pittsburgh in a neighborhood. So, I have family or a friend that lives near here. I usually see them at least once a week. I could close my mail box and use their address
    as a delivery point. Since 95% of the mail I get is junk mail.
    The junk mail folks will remove may address from the list because
    they don't do duplicate addresses. Every week, I pick up the relevant mail (two or three letter's) (term relevant is questionable), and
    visit my family or friend. The taxing authorities, by virtue of their electronic real estate records, verify the existence of my physical biometric address. If everyone in my neighborhood does this, there
    could be hypothetically 25% less stops for the carrier equating to
    less carriers & less time.
    The problem with this concept is the same problem with government.
    More duplication creates more jobs and more work. It's a problem that technology has conquered, but the draconian leadership simply won't change, ultimately resulting in collapse.

• Reply to: How Can the Postal Service Reduce the Costs Associated with Postage Stamps?   3 years 10 months ago

Many of the smaller post offices could, and should be closed down. Also, Saturday delivery is a joke: eliminate it.

Do away with all of the cheap and junk mail, or subsidize the invention of a combined mail box/incinerator. We don’t need this litter!

Finally, one new stamp a year, issued in booklet form, and available in many venues would serve the purpose quite nicely, thank you. There is absolutely no reason to print so many meaningless stamps each year.

Lisa Bowes is absolutely correct. This is not new revenue. It will appear as if it is and the offices that lose the revenue will be punished probably by the usual means of intimidation while poorly trained "sales" force employees are out wasting Postal $$$ trying to sell a product that is already sold for less money--only to different mailers. We (the Postal Service) could solve the unemployment problem overnight if you only counted the number of detail positions we create for ourselves trying to cover positions that don't need to be covered, made, sold, etc.

• Reply to: Automated Package Stations – Rapidly Expanding Service in Europe!   3 years 10 months ago

Online services is the easiest ways to deliver parcels with the help of internet though it has high rates but mostly customers are doing this in order to receive their parcels safely.

• Reply to: Maximizing the Postal Service’s Mobile Presence   3 years 10 months ago

For clarification, the comparison of the USPS Mobile and UPS applications referred to in this article are based on the features available on their respective Android apps at the time the article was written.

The iPhone mobile application currently includes a rate calculator function. The Android version wil be available in later this year.

• Reply to: Revenue Protection   3 years 11 months ago

Unfortunately, the people running the USPS merely echo what their bosses think, and really never attended a business school. If they want to increase revenue via first class mail for example, then a re-education process must occur within the school systems across the nation. In order to receive state, and federal aids, schools should get required to teach children to write letters. Postmasters should visit schools, and give the postal sales pitch to children. Newly graduating senior should be given a free book of stamps to write thank you cards. Yes, I said free. So many graduates don't even know how to address an envelope let alone write a letter. This bodes poorly for First Class Mail going forward.

The sales pitch given by the post masters should include the benefits, and services the USPS offers. Get these young adults into the fold. I hold little confidence in the senior leadership of the USPS to correct the decreasing volume of First Class Mail. And, quite frankly, unless they develop new concepts to generate growth in this area, it will continue to shrink.

Furthermore, walking from one house to the next house to deliver mail is akin to fighting a 21st century battle with a 17th century technique. Elimination of this would greatly reduce worker compensation claims, and genuinely improve working conditions for employees. Wages, hours, and conditions of employment remain the 3 negotiable issues in any collective bargaining settlement. Require all customers nationwide to place their mail boxes on the street.

• Reply to: What is the Office of Audit and why do we blog?   3 years 11 months ago

I see some things tangentially related, but nothing that looks like it would deal with the persistent doubts about the size of "worksharing" discounts. Is the current balance between the rates charged and the work shared the right one?

• Reply to: Neighborhood Mail and the Future of the Postal Service   3 years 11 months ago

Here's an example of what is going on - The Wrong Way to Sell EDDM http://www.intelisent.com/postalaffairsblog/?p=2914
    Poorly trained and misguided sales force down-selling current products. Per USPS leadership at MTAC, they are not monitoring to make sure that the revenue coming in from this program is new revenue. Last but not least, if it takes a contest with a trip to Las Vegas for the winner to motivate the USPS sales force, especially with the financial situation of the Postal Service the way it is, maybe the USPS needs new sales people. Or better yet, they should rely on the serious and capable sales force of motivated Mail Service Providers.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Further Consolidate the Area and District Administrative Office Structure?   3 years 11 months ago

I think that the post office needs to become more efficient to avoid bankruptcy. I hate to say it but most of the people (not all) that work at the post office are extremely, intentionally, slow and it is such an unpleasant experience to have to go to the PO. Maybe cutting down service to five days will help but eliminating more post offices so that others become even more annoying to visit will just drive folks to use private companies. The PO needs to stop raising prices too. With every price hike, there is a loss of business that probably isn't worth it.

Well, I'll put the unpopular comment in on this thread. I'm still reading on the process but I think the concept is ABSOLUTELY GREAT. Our office lost a large portion of our bulk mailers a few years back with price increases. Then all but one dropped off when they had to travel to another office to process their bulk mailing.
    We lost revenue with these decisions.
    Now? we (the rural office - so identified as losing $$) can not only bring revenue back to the small office they can provide a SERVICE to the small businesses in our area. I am trying my best to have a better understanding to explain this to all those customers we lost and have a handfull of customers I want to advise that I believe will help their businesses.

My only complaint is EDUCATION. I can't find anyone to explain. Yes, I understand the basics but I have questions. I get emails telling me, I get websites to explain whats offered and I have questions. I have questions that I want answered before I pose this to my customers.

Provide a contact number to a product expert!

For those doubters, naysayers . . . the back bone of American is NOT Corporate America it is the small business.

• Reply to: We “Advertise” for You?   3 years 11 months ago

I think they make too much money- No "agressiveness" needed.

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 11 months ago

I totally agree! Just add coffee, donuts? and maybe some little crunchies that anyone can enjoy while passing time. :)

• Reply to: We “Advertise” for You?   3 years 11 months ago

The post office needs to be more aggressive in reducing their business loss. Selling there space on the mail vehicle would be a good start

• Reply to: Envisioning the Future   3 years 11 months ago

I am agree with the GOLDIE comment.Thanks for giving such an informative blog.

• Reply to: Mail to the Future?   3 years 11 months ago

Is this in effect now? Because I definitely would love to use it!

• Reply to: Postal Service Customer Service Is It Working for You?   3 years 11 months ago

On April 29, a retailer shipped a music CD I had purchased using First Class mail with Delivery Confirmation. It is now May 25. I'm in north Texas; the retailer shipped from either California or New York. In either case, it historically does not take almost an entire month to ship something First Class. Typically even a mere week is sufficient. I used to order tobacco from Sweden awhile back, and almost every single time using the Swedish Post and the USPS, it still took exactly seven days to arrive. The retailer has been kind enough to ship out a second copy, and I offered to ship one back if I ever receive both of them.

USPS.com has been essentially useless other than telling me that they've received electronic notification of shipment, and providing me with the 1-800-ask-usps number. Calling in was a nightmare trying to weed through a useless automated system that could not tell me anything with the "tracking" number I have, since it's really just a delivery confirmation number. After getting back to the main menu and repeatedly pressing 0, the system finally connected me to a real person who repeatedly apologized, put in a case and gave me a confirmation number, telling me to expect a call back on Friday. We'll see, but I have a feeling that nothing's going to happen.

• Reply to: Maximizing the Postal Service’s Mobile Presence   3 years 11 months ago

I agree this new www.uspseverywhere.com website is disappointing.

• Reply to: Too Costly to Keep On Truckin?   3 years 11 months ago

Technology could give the LLVs new life.

• Reply to: We “Advertise” for You?   3 years 11 months ago

Certain types of advertising are always out of bounds but selling advertising on Postal Service property should not violate the law. Just my opinion.

• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   3 years 11 months ago

I am for automation to avoid long lines that is a plus. It will work because it worked for the secretary of the state branches. I start using the USPS more often because I found that it is cheaper than most shipping companies and my items arrive not broken that is a plus.

• Reply to: How Can the Postal Service Reduce the Costs Associated with Postage Stamps?   3 years 11 months ago

I believe their should be some type of electronic system that automate to speed up the process and save money on paper. I do not think we should stay with a concrete price for stamps because of inflation and deflation the USPS need to adjust there prices according to the economy.