• Reply to: How Far Does Your 44 Cents Go?   3 years 9 months ago

Since I been waiting for 6 days for a letter that has my company check for payroll,supplies and living expenses. The Postmaster of Niceville, FL. inform me that I must wait. With no attemp to find it. So when we have our next convention I will push a motion for our company to go to direct depoist. Banks worry a lot more about mistakes than the USPS. Thank You

PS On your website there doesn't seem a complaint section.

• Reply to: Will Electronic Reader Technology Affect the Postal Service?   3 years 9 months ago

I have no problems automating our postal services, as long as the mail will be secured and will not be falling at the wrong hands. There nothing wrong on trying new ways to make our mail delivery faster.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 9 months ago

Thank you for your comment. The Postal Service has experienced MTE shortages and leakage, especially during Peak Season, for many years. Postal Service Headquarters and the Inspection Service have undertaken MTE "recovery" efforts for several years. And, the OIG has conducted several comprehensive audits of MTE issues over the past three years. The OIG has made a number of recommendations which will address the MTE inventory and accountability issues, but the Postal Service's financial position and freeze on systems have made taking effective corrective actions difficult. The current financial condition has added pressure to the MTE/pallet situation this year given the amount of money spent on pallets over the past several years and the continued shortage issues.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 9 months ago

Thank you for the comment about the OIG's prior audit on RFID for pallets. We noted in the blog that two technological initiatives to better track MTE have been shelved due to the current financial condition. One of those two initiatives is RFID. The other is a MTE accounting and tracking system covering MTE both externally and internally. We appreciate your comment.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 9 months ago

In 2008 there was an OIG report issued by Engineering audit group. See http://www.uspsoig.gov/foia_files/DA-AR-09-002.pdf.We proposed RFID solution for it , not GPS. It was proven that cost of the RFID installed on pallets and Trackers on Doorways would pay for it self over the years.

• Reply to: How Far Does Your 44 Cents Go?   3 years 10 months ago

SWEET SICK LEAVE, How can I get some of that action beech? All I get is what the Owl left on the stump. I mean I'll take just 15% of the benefit of what the pathetic managers, who have ZERO knowledge of transportation, much less have ever managed transportstion assets. Yet, this asset at the USPS makes up 60% of the entire process of the business model.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

Barcode them, scan them arrived at unit and scan them out when you ship them back to the plant.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

Could this be another Lean Six Sigma initiative going postal? The pallets might be hiding on the docks behind my confiscated casing equipment.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

What about RFID tags on all pallets? Probably already being done.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

The top comment was cut off and incomplete. This issue was initially addressed in 2007. In fact, while conducting the FY09 Financial Installation Audits, OIG Field Financial staff addressed this issue in its audit program.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

This issue was initially addressed in 2007. In fact, while conducting the FY09 Financial /step in its audit program.

Per the Business Mail Acceptance Newsletter, Issue 73, August 23, 2007:

The Postal Service’s MTE group is announcing the kickoff of the Summer 2007 Roundup Program to collect equipment from customers. The program is intended to round up flat tubs, letter trays and sleeves, rolling stock like hampers and cages, pallets and mailbags that are not in use and return them to USPS inventory. We ask all mailers — from households to large mailing companies — to return USPS equipment during this collection effort. Small quantities of MTE can be returned to your local Post Office or nearby processing and distribution facility. For large quantities and equipment such as pallets or hampers, customers should complete a pick-up request at http://fast.usps.com/fast/mtereturns. The Postal Service spends millions of dollars every year on MTE to replenish inventory and make sure our customers and our business can function effectively. With the average cost of sleeves at 55 cents, flat tubs at almost $4 and pallets nearly $20, it quickly adds up. This summer, help USPS reduce MTE costs and encourage customers to return excess equipment.

• Reply to: How Far Does Your 44 Cents Go?   3 years 10 months ago

Thanks to everbody for your responses! - KH

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

What is your mother's address so I can include it in the OIG Hotline?

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

There have been several MTAC groups that have looked at MTE management, perhaps you should reach out to them to get some of their information. Here is a blog post (from 2008!) http://blog.windowbook.com/2008/05/05/mtac-notes-plastic-pallets/ Other groups have met since them, I'm sure they had some worthwhile ideas that probably fell by the wayside. Worth exploring.

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 10 months ago

Employees at the Postal Service give them out freely to customers who holds their mail. It was given to my mother.

• Reply to: How Far Does Your 44 Cents Go?   3 years 10 months ago

I agree with you MFrancis 100%.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   3 years 10 months ago

I would love to see a service where I could see online what is in my POB. Also how full or empty it is, so I knew when to make the trip in to get my mail.

You guys might take this a step further too and offer a service option for "deleting" some of the real pieces of mail from the box per our instructions. Eg I might actually pay you to remove the junk mail - understanding that this would not affect your revenue model of making money by putting the junk mail in the box. You make money putting the junk mail in the box and you make a little more removing it per my instructions.

You need to be thinking more virtual and what you can do to help save us customers time and effort and to help us be better citizens of the planet. If I do not have to get in my car and drive the 7 miles into my POB then the whole planet wins.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   3 years 10 months ago

Since this is the digital age and we communicate primarily digitally, I've been wondering for years why the postal service does not create a method for people to email and communicate electronically. There has to be a way for the postal system to create revenue by keeping up with the times...offer an email site, create a search engine such as yahoo or google, be the next "facebook", invent a social media site. Thank you!

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   3 years 10 months ago

Love to participate here cause this site is really awesome, I was looking for such a site for many days. Hope this site will give us much more in future.

• Reply to: Is “Coopetition” a Good Thing for the Postal Service?   3 years 10 months ago

Cooperation is a good thing not only in the postal service but in everything that we do. It makes things easier for everyone. This is something that we must all have.

• Reply to: Make Way for www.----.post   3 years 10 months ago

I am not sure about privacy on the net. Is there such thing? Even your own e-mails can be hacked nowadays. But let us face the truth, using e-mails is still the easiest and fastest way to communicate other than live chatting with someone.

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   3 years 10 months ago

I can think of two ways to increase revenue without having to increase the cost of stamps or services. #1) charge a small annual or semi-annual fee to ALL addresses that receive mail. The cost of the rural mailman or the big cities alike is astronomical. Can you imagine how much money would be generated if EVERY address was charged even $10 per yr? A city with 100,000 addresses would bring $1,000,000 a yr. and that's just a small city. What about New York City or Houston?? It costs more to deliver mail to a home (especially rural) than it does to deliver it to a post office box. So why are we having to pay more and more for box rent, when home deliveries are free? #2) Sell advertising on the stamps. Another huge money maker.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   3 years 10 months ago

I will like to let you know of an excellent way of generating more revenues and direct marketing. For those who have P.O.Box's:

Direct marketing:

collect users personal email address to send them email notification that they have a package in their P.O. Box or mail.
    Also you can send them mail of special that are going on. You can also send them email reminders when the P.O. Box Bill is due, so you can also allow for express electronic bill pay.

A small investment with millions in return. This will build customer retention and good well.

You can email me if you like further assistance.

Sincerely,

Darryl

I find your post is very helpful

The Post Office should charge at LEAST $1.00 to mail a letter. Look at what FEDEX Charges.