• Reply to: Postal Ping Pong Diplomacy: Opportunity Knocks for the U.S. Postal Service   3 years 10 months ago

A United States Postal Service contract postal unit operates inside City Hall. It is located on the first floor, across from the Utility Billing area. The contract postal unit services most of the needs customers would take care of at the main post office; however, please note that Global Express shipping is not available.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Use the Internet to Meet its Service Obligations?   3 years 10 months ago

The question is not whether the Postal Service should use the internet to provide USO's, but, should the internet use the Postal Service to meet it's UUG's goals.
    If the Postal Service expects to survive another six to nine fiscal quarters, they better use the internet for nearly 88% of their sales.
    Printible Stamps, postage, addresses. Access every data base available
    and sell sell sell it before google or fb does.
    KIOSKS, KIOSKS, MOBILITY SALES, PENETRATE EVERY MOBILE, GREEN, SUSTAINABLE, CLIMATE FRIENDLY/ENERGY SAVING MODEL AVAILIBLE!!!!
    USE robots in malls. "Stamps here", "get your fresh stamps here".
    "Prepaid envelopes here"!!! Mother's Day is in one month, "prepay you're special greeting here", "We'll mail it on time"......
    It's HAMMER TIME!!!!
    If a mailing goes out, and an envelope has a blank side, offer a discount to the customer to stamp an add to the blank side of the envelope.
    DO DOUBLE DUTY ON PROCESSING OF EVERY PIECE OF MAIL! SAVE MONEY, SAVE TIME, SAVE ENERGY, GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you going to wait until another energy crisis????
    Or the next apocolypse? aka, you're soon to be empty fiscal coffers..

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   3 years 10 months ago

My friend is a mail carrier of 28 yrs in Burbank, CA. She is beside herself with the workload this stupid new system has put upon her and all her fellow co workers. She is out on the street for 12 hrs, not 8!! AND her supervisor yells at her when she calls in and says she needs help on the route!!! She starts at 7:30 am, and is not home until 8:30 pm.....past her normal bedtime! Customers on the route are so upset that first, they trust her, have developed a mutual trust in seeing her all these years and not only is that gone, but now they are getting their mail hours later then they used to. That last bit doesn't matter as much as her whole life is turned upside down, she is no longer a kid, and says the union is totally worthless..as I've heard this for years. GET REAL YOU IGNORANT SUPERVISORS!! You are not making anything better for anyone....no less your stupid selves!!! This is not SAVING MONEY, IT'S COSTING EVERYONE MORE MONEY!!!

• Reply to: What Does Apple’s New iPad Mean for the Postal Service?   3 years 10 months ago

The iPad offers multiple functionality including the ability to read books, surf the Internet, and use computer applications.

• Reply to: Taking the Postal Platform to the Digital World   3 years 10 months ago

I feel like not enough marketing is going to the core clients/business customers of the USPS and if the USPS would market these areas then the market for business and shipping would grow. The USPS has to take the in your face approach when it comes to training their city carriers on how to "sell" their products to their customers and must train their staff in how to address and communicate these options for the customers they communicate with.

I think the most important issue is whether the USPS is desperate enough to partner with a country that has such a terrible human rights record, environmental record, and serves as the single greatest threat to our country's economic status within the world. Each one of the issues above, if elaborated upon, alone would serve as reason enough not to go along with a partnership, but our country has continuously made exceptions and I wouldn't be surprised if that continued.

• Reply to: Is Five-Day Delivery in the Future?   3 years 10 months ago

I support a 5-day delivery. Most other businesses work Monday through Friday, why not Postal Service? I can live without my mail until Monday.

• Reply to: Crime Takes No Holiday   3 years 10 months ago

Our mail box is at the end of a 1 mile dirt road and we had to remove it and use a PO Box at the post office. Too much mail theft! thanks for the article.

Great! More things we can't afford to do that won't make enough money to cover the jobs that it creates for people to make spreadsheets to send to post offices to show how bad they are NOT making their goals--show middle managers can be further harrassed about MORE things. Can we just get rid of the things that don't work already? What is the purpose of EXFC measurement and paying testers to drop mail if offices are required to transport a 44 cent letter hundreds of miles "just in case" it "might be" a test letter? Why pay for VOE surveys if managers fear retribution for low scores and the scores do nothing to change the work environment? The s#!@ always runs down hill. Any new program you implement, someone will make it appear as if it is the greatest ever, but at what cost?

• Reply to: Is Five-Day Delivery in the Future?   3 years 10 months ago

Yes, I agree that the postal service must go to 5-day delivery at this time. 5 years ago almost every customer on my route was receiving first class mail each and every day. Today it seems like 40% of my customers are not receiving first class mail on any given day. And there are lots of boxes that I drive by completely because they have no mail at all what so ever. In other words. The majority of my customers are ALREADY on 5-day delivery (if not 4 day or 3 day delivery) meaning they only receive mail 5 days out of the week because the volume is so low. Wshould the postal service pay fuel and labor to drive/walk to each and every address in the nation when most people are not receiving first class mail (the important stuff) every day? I think the reduction in fuel costs alone would be very significant.

Why not have a special service for Saturday delivery of parcels? (for those that must have their package delivered on Saturday). Have one or two carriers come in for the day and deliver just the special Saturday delivery? instead of paying the 100 + carriers in some stations to drive who knows how many miles.

What are you people thinking? Dude, we move physical mail. Keep it at that. Don't sell stuffed bunnies, chocolate bars, or try to be an internet service. The USPS OIG needs to go catch crooks. We will always be needed as long as we don't screw it up! That's it. Back to basics. Keep it simple.

Guy Nohrenberg
    tindad@sbcglobal.net

• Reply to: The Postal Workforce – Preparing for the Future   3 years 10 months ago

How can you even discuss keeping quality personnel when the bar has been set lower and lower with each passing year? Now we have region codes because postal employees can no longer sort the mail correctly using zip+4. My own carrier cant even figure out that a letter addressed to John D. at 123 my street is for John Doe at 123 my street apt 2. He's pretty sure its the right place so he throws it on top of the boxes instead of putting it in John Doe's box. Bottom line is if the USPS avoids hiring the lowest common denominator to begin with they wont have to worry about keeping the few good people left. I can't even tell you how many times some lazy lout has quoted me a non-existent regulation to avoid having to do the work.

How can the usps look to the future when they are shackled to such inefficient procedures in the present? For instance, how much money does the usps waste each year printing zero cost labels and receipts for pre-paid international priority packages? While I applaud the effort to make sure people are paying the proper postage, its utterly stupid to burn 2 $0.00 cost postage labels and a foot long receipt to justify the clerks time doing the work the customer already did. Until the USPS learns how to escape the present the future is nothing more than a pipe dream.

“The most significant hurdle to further eCommerce growth is online payment. Fearing identity theft, consumers are reluctant to share personal financial information on the web.”

I proposed using the 7-11 Japan model, oh eleven years ago in an ideas program...
    I hope this gets more interest now, due to the revenue shortfalls...

• Reply to: Our Third Year   3 years 10 months ago

The exchange rate is changing all the time and, in order for many

people to make use of certain services, they need to be aware of

these changes. If you work in an industry where foreign currency,

such as the dollar, affects your income then you will want to pay

careful attention to the exchange rate.

-----------------
    pauldavis

Dollars to Pounds

Since the beginning of industrialization there has been the post office. Few decades later, then came the telephone. Before that there was Wire services with ITT. Seems like yesterday, when I was a young professional. Even then with the urshering of the digital age, I wondered why the Post Office and ITT did not lead this age with ATT. Since, it is an unstated view that the Federal Government with the Army and private support from inventors and states, seems to me like you would have taken your money upfront and ran like the fastest Olympian with all that cash you could be hauling.

You see, everybody with an eye or two that can see, and a ear or two that can hear would make the normal leap of faith that you just merely had to state your sponsorship of the Internet with FCC and the electronics industry you could be hauling maybe up to one third of all disposable dollars.

Dispite what the smartest lawyers would do, you need the special kind; the attorney to get your loot stuffing everybody's pocket right about now.

Think about it. The ach is a wire transfer or whatever.... never mind do not get into this debate. Just bill them in the form of a lawsuit. Each and every internet carrier or whomever has taken an unlawful slice of the pie.

Now, I pay my bills electronically; but for two hundred even three hundred years I paid my bills via the mail. Note, everybody even left you a calling card. Get em for infringement on the post office. Make up your own e-mail software, and clock the stuff like it was your only form of income. Meter the stuff, add some do-dads, make a pretty little screen, and I meet you at the cash register with all the loot I know I have been squandering waiting for you guys to get the stuff in gear. The internet is major commerce. I must have spent at least 500 a year for years just fooling around on Ebay.

Enforce those no-compete contracts, give UPS the boot where you can, and get your dough upfront. (Note: To impressionable people - do not use my tone or vernacular and take it slow do your research and shot to kill (pink slip, demotions, the whole gamut is ready to be taken down it could fall within 48 hours if you do it right; oh yeah- you'll need your own home grown product just link your software to the mail - whatever (now I'm getting into something I never thought about, you figure it out) any nay-sayers right up front: stonewall take no prisoners until you get your income tell congress how much loot the bad guys took over 30 years and look forelorn, I've got my money right here waiting for you to come to your senses and demand your money.)

Now, I do not speak in these terms even vaugely as a real person. When I use this diction it is to spot light that if you do not get your income corrected, then it's the kind of body that will walk around unfortunately with your income, unearned, and unjustified. So, now I have many mail boxes, I just want one; the one with your Trademark on it. I do not want anybody to touch my stuff, and I want to pay you to keep it for me. Then, I want you to do your studies and tell me how much the service costs. Then I want all my stuff, that you say I can, under your email identifier for all kinds of wonder full statistics and studies. I want all the federal protections you got on my E-mail, and for you to monitor thieves with those protections. I want you to have my stuff, with or without my knowledge to prosecute any and all illegal activities in-state, interstate, and foreign.

But,I want Federal protection on my name and the other contents unless it can be used to show whatever where eve; These are the terms. And, best of all I want you to charge stamp fees when I send messages for business intent, e.g. to pay a bill, to send money, to buy stuff on the internet.

You (USPS) and the Federal Government will probably have enough money left over to fully fund "Feeding America" a favorite charity of mine and pay retiree benefits. What are you waiting for, only money grubbers not from the USA/Canada will jump you. Heh, heh, you should do this for all those stock transactions for individuals also; everybody needs to pay into this one. You could replace Verizon's email client and leave all that other stuff alone, for instance, phone products, and get it rolling. Grab AOL and few others, and all the trollers will stop spending money that is not theirs.

That should stop all those damn virus people flat on their kisters. You'll save the country and need Congress and States to buy in. But, uh, if you can, send a bill that shoyuld get everybody in the mood, if they think someone has their money like they took it from the treasury it does. Oh, yikes, I forgot to tell you my nickname "Troubles" not as in "Bubbles".

• Reply to: Could Radio Frequency Identification Make the U.S. Postal Service the Premier Delivery System?   3 years 10 months ago

Hi
    I have always wondered whether regular sampling would not be enough and adequate for service improvement. Do we need to tag every mail piece and every package to improve service? I am not sure...

Luanna,

At this time no company is trying to sell anything. This is purely a research topic that we are looking to get stakeholder feedback on. As for the anticipated effect on the work of the carrier craft, the way this in envisioned being implemented would result in no change to the work methods you are currently performing.

Thanks for checking this blog out.

This concept would provide the end to end network visibility that you point out our competitors have that we do not. After that you are correct in stating we need to make the other systems do what they were intended to do.

Thanks for the further insight into your feelings. Your passion for ther success of the service shows in your responses and that makes your feedback all the more valuable.

No. It would not. I can't see how a foreign Post Office comparison can be accurately scaled up to the USPS to produce any kind of reliable ROI data. Not to mention that USPS ROI estimates are routinely overstated by 50 to 75 percent of actual savings achievable in the real world. If you doubt me, then I would simply refer you to your own recent studies of the FSS implementation.

We already have acceptance, in process APPS, arrival, out for delivery (automated) and attempted/delivered scans. The only thing we are lacking when compared to UPS is the container movement tracking, which I should think can be accomplished with minimal cost.

At a time where we are actively engaged in elimnating our own Post Office infrastructure (the only thing that actually sets us apart from UPS, I might add) due to supposed cost, we can clearly ill afford this kind of speculative venture.

I defend my original premise that what the USPS needs to do is not chase some new pie-in-the-sky technology, but, buckle down, and do the nitty-gritty things in the field necessary to get the currently deployed systems to pay the dividends that were expected of them at the time that THEY were financed.

Lets ensure that our APPS machines are getting all the process scans they can. Lets add a simple container scanning system that links parcels to the container at dispatch from the equipment. Lets manage and support our delivery operations so that they can achieve the excellence in scanning that they're capable of. Lets ensure that our customers are compliant with their symbology, placement, and print quality of their barcodes (they're far from perfect, belive me).

If we are able to do all that, and do it accurately and consistently, then tell me, what would our package competitors have that we wouldn't?

Sound like another con job from what ever company is trying to sell this to the PO.Every thing sounds great and looks good on paper but them you have to take it out to the street.Every Letter Carrier knows what a miserable failure DPS is.

Rural Carrier,

Items that require a signature will still need either a hard copy notice to sign, or maybe we can upgrade scanners to allow for them to capture a signature on thier screen much like the credit card readers in a store.

The RFID tag would not "die" as it has no power source, and the placement on or in a box would not prevent it from being "read" by the RFID system.

Does knowing this make you more receptive to the idea?

• Reply to: Having Problems with Your Time and Attendance Records? The OIG Wants to Hear From You.   3 years 10 months ago

Funny how I keep hearing that this is an issue. It has just recently happened to me and I feel it is stealing! If a supervisor enters your time in the system which enables you to get paid and the OIC goes behind him and deletes it he is obviously taking you money from you. This is theft and these so called issues should be treated as such!

PM,

I am sorry to hear your disappointment in the IMB implementation. I can assure you that this topic is in no way associated with that initiative. Would it change your opinion of this idea if you knew the technology is already successfully in use in several foreign Posts (albeit not to the extent being researched here)?

Bertie,

I am happy to hear that you are familiar with real world application of the technology and it seems you too feel this could be a great step forward for the Postal Service if it comes to be.

Thanks