• Reply to: The OIG Wants to Know How You Feel about Sick Leave   3 years 9 months ago

Why is this a disjointed unintelligible comment??
    Is it a joke, way 2 sms?

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   3 years 9 months ago

YES. I THINK THAT'S A GREAT IDEA I.E./ ADVERTISING ON POST OFFICE TRUCKS. ILL GOUIN

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   3 years 9 months ago

I ASKED MY SON WHAT HE THOUGHT ABOUT THE POST OFFICE ADVERTISING ON THEIR TRUCKS AND CHARGING FOR THIS SERVICE AND HE SAID THAT HE THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT IDEA. WE VISITED CANADA AND GUESS WHAT? THE CANADIAN POSTAL TRUCKS ADVERTISE.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Monitor Packaging Supplies?   3 years 9 months ago

When you receive something (via USPS) in a USPS supplied box, is it still illegal to use that box for something else??

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 9 months ago

Why not sell the pallets? I dropship and I get equal quantites that I leave back. If I want to use them for other things I can- the bulk rate USPS is paying is less than what average mailer would pay for high quality platic pallet. I lose them or send them to UPS it is on me. Stop giving them out freely- problem solved.

• Reply to: It’s a Small World, After All   3 years 9 months ago

globalization is the part of life...we canot live without it...

• Reply to: Offering eMailboxes to Consumers: An Opportunity for the Postal Service?   3 years 9 months ago

Let me add one more little tidbit (call it a tag to my previous commnent).
    You call this blog section "Ideas Worth Exlporing".
    I think in association with my last post, in these difficult fiscal periods, you should re-name it, "Ideas and Actions Worth Explaining".

jrk

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   3 years 9 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to visit our Pushing The Envelope blog and provide comments. We appreciate your interest in this important MTE/pallet issue. All of the furnished information will be considered as we work with the Postal Service on appropriate corrective action. Once again, thank you for your contributions to this blog.

We have a new manager my post, he arrived at our location through a lateral.
    His J-O-B is to monitor the fuel receipts, manage the physical sign in sheet, and or a number of other functions that were created so he won't reveal the location of the ahem... "lost souls".
    We hit on the clock electronically, fuel electronically, and if we used the XDATA fleet management system (since the USPS invested million$ into it),
    our every minute function could be displayed electronically.
    BUT YOU GUYS PAY HIM $90,000.00/PER (est.) YEAR TO DO WHAT?

Get a Grip on reality......

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   3 years 9 months ago

Get rid of the UNIONS and hire Vets.

We have benefits already

• Reply to: Is Five-Day Delivery in the Future?   3 years 9 months ago

5-day delivery is so 1980s. If the Postmaster General is ONLY pushing for 5-day delivery, he should be fired. How about 3-day delivery - Mon/Wed/Fri. The physical post offices can be open for business 6 days per week, but physical mail delivery by carrier should be reduced to 3 days per week. What do the carriers do the balance of the week? Work in the physical post office of course. You'll likely save 50% of your fuel costs and a whole lot of personnel costs. Boo Hoo, no more 6-day delivery...get over it.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   3 years 9 months ago

I think that the USPS needs to realize it is an antiquated system The world has switched ot an electronic system and standard mail will someday go away or will be a premium service. I think in the small picture, closure of smaller post offices is a good first step. I personnally use postal services at a bare minumum. I look in my mailbox daily and yet it is usually just junk mail. All my bills are paid online and I have opted to not recieve paper statements. My paycheck is direct deposited and I have also opted with my employer to send me everything electronic. I think all small communitee post offices should be closed unless it is the only one. In my area I have 3 small communitee ones and one large one. I am sure all could be consolidated into the one larger one. All communities swhould have no more than 1 post office in a 15-25 mile radius. I am sure that would close alot of post offices. And delivery could be illiminated to 3-5 days a week. I of course do not mind this as I dont recieve alot of mail.

Also junk mail should be elliminated. It would cut down on the workload of the carriers which would cut down on costs. My junk mail is never looked at it goes straight to the recycle. Complete waste. At the very least I should be able to opt out which would increase costs. electronic spam is illegal. Paper spam should be too.

My long term sollution is to create a facility that mail could be sent to instead of our homes. People could sign up for a service that provides them a number sort of like a social security number. This could be used i nthe following manner

Dave Jones
    AB6789234567
    San Diego, Ca.

The letters would get routed to a central facility where it is opened securely and scaned and then emailed or stored in your own personnal eMailbox. This could be a service people pay a subscription for and they could give out this "address" out to whoever they wished. It would never need to change and when people move there would be no overhead of makeing those changes. Postal delivery could be cut to 1-2 times per week if at all. I think eventually deliverys could be elliminated. I realize there are alot of baby boomers out there that may resist this, but the younger generation would embrase it as it would make their lives easier. Immagine checking your mailbox on an iPhone app! All your mail right there. No need to put a hold on delivery when on vacation, just check your mail on the beach! going digital in some manner like this is the future. Hopefully USPS is smart enough to embrace it in some form.

I saw that the idea of an eMailbox is being considered.

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   3 years 9 months ago

1. Please stop the 1-cent, 3-cent-, and 7-cent increases. Take the First Class rate to 45-cents or 50-cents, and keep all future rate increases in increments of 5-cents. All rates should be divisible by 5. Postage rates that involve pennies should be outlawed.

2. Make the First Class rate the least expensive rate. This will either increase your revenue, or it will reduce the operating cost of my Mail Carrier delivering JUNK MAIL to me, and me having to throw it away. Think of it this way, you will also be helping to save the environment.

3. Automate, Automate, Automate! Why do I still need to stand in a line for 15-minutes, in order for a Postal Clerk to put my envelope on a scale, push a few buttons, and say "That will be 64-cents. Do you need anything else today?" Give me the tools that he/she has and I will do it myself. I've been pumping gas on my own for years, I know how to use ATMs, and I can even get my own Boarding Pass at the airport (actually, I print them at home.) Granted, there may be times when I need the assistance of a Postal Clerk, but there are many times I can handle my own transaction if I had the tools-- at the Post Office. Yes, I know I can do a lot of transactions online, assuming I knew the weight of my envelope or package, which I don't.

4. The USPS provides a very valuable service; you simply need to change the price structure to stay competitive.

Thank you!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   3 years 9 months ago

One invaluable service the USPS can provide is medical records storage. Every person should be able to transmit his medical records to a medical provider. Moreover, if you were in an accident it could be lifesaving to be able to access your medical records by the USPS. The USPS would maintain the servers and they would be available through any browser.

I would like ot see the Post Office to take on the tern if you can beat them join them. I sugget that in order to generate new business the post office should set up computer terminal for those who do not have computers charge a small fee for individual to be able to pay bill on line. Set up a place online where companied can advertise and get business instead of sending mass mail.

you guys are crazy

The only problem with any such solution (which I DID submit as a USPS employee via the eIdeas system 3 years ago) is the unique existence of the United States Postal Service. It is a quasi government entity - not funded by a penny of taxpayer money, but bound by congressional mandates and universal service obligations.

The responses I received to date have been cursory at best, save one point. Public companies already provide these services.
    A government agency could not enter this arena without causing competitive disadvantage and being considered a "Trust". Privacy advocates should also be alarmed if the government's access to such electronic data were to be considered.

I have to agree with Marie. How will you ensure the security of the system? If hackers can get into the Pentagon and other high security areas, how is it that USPS can be hack free?

Hey Nice Article! Thanks for the good information Keep up the good posting.

It seems like the concept of a "virtual" mailbox would be incredibly useful when interacting with government of all levels. Something along the lines of everyone having their own encryption key to verify their identity. Much like email, where you could host it anywhere but it would still be secure.

-Robert

I would have to have a lot more details before even considering this idea. Official documents? Electronically? I have trouble trusting that and I'm sure many Americans will, too. You would really have some convincing to do to get people interested.

Interesting that USPS has proposed various email and fax based services as far back as the 1980s. All were shot down by Congress or the BOG.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   3 years 9 months ago

RULES? WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN RULES!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   3 years 9 months ago

I agree with Joe- I would even add scanning service- wherein I pay a small fee to have key mail items scanned, and emailed to me with the option of have the orginal shredded/recycled.

Hello,

I came here to submit this same idea. Specifically electronically registered mail.

The Post Office is uniquely qualified to handle such a task. You already manage the physically addresses of hundreds of millions of people and businesses. It is a natural evolution to add/associate an official electronic address to those same people and businesses.

It would not take long before the USPS eCertified Mail system was _the_ system used by all US government agencies as well as the majority of businesses.
    Such a system would finally allow for true tele-commuting as the exchange of official/notarized documents could happen electronically.
    The transformation would happen quickly and it would have an immensely positive effect to the economy in saved transportation costs.

Thank you.