• Reply to: Make Way for www.----.post   3 years 9 months ago

1. USPS may be permitted by the UPU to use .post but it has not yet been approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission. Furthermore, attempts to get into digital services have been thwarted previously or shut down once operational. USPS is going to have to fight hard to get into the digital arena again given past experience.

2. Regarding whether they should use it depends on what they plan to do with it and in what timeframe. One advantage of .post is that it will use DNSSEC from the outset, and the other domains are playing catch up which is more difficult. Theoretically, it should be a more secure platform for digital transactions and communications. USPS is going to have to convince the Postal Regulatory Commission to use .post and then get each product or service on .post approved, as well.

3. Several of us on the New Products Committee came up with a number of business ideas for .post, but fundamentally the UPU and the community of postal operators will need to answer a basic question about adoption: is .post going to be a closed system or an open one? Can someone who is not on .post communicate with another person who is on .post?

4. Most consumers are happy in their ignorance about the security of e-mail services and online transactions from providers on .com and on other domains. They put up with phishing, identity theft, etc. to an extent and accept a certain amount of risk. It's conceivable that .post could reduce such risk dramatically and possibly eliminate much of the risk, but the question is how many consumers really believe they need it?

5. We are at an interesting juncture where .post, in-person proofing and the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) could all come together and present a unique opportunity for USPS. Hopefully USPS will act on the opportunity. Despite my nomination to be a lead for NSTIC for USPS, as much as I would have liked to regrettably I will not be here to see it through.

Rich Epstein
    Chief Architect
    U.S. Postal Service
    Headquarters

• Reply to: The Postal Service’s Green Initiatives   3 years 10 months ago

I'm glad to hear you're making use of the solar panels for charging your cars. I think there is an opportunity to supplement or replace the electricity used in the facilities with solar panels.
    Even the use of passive solar for heating in the winter would help. There is a library in LaBarge, WY that uses passive solar heating and has incredibly low utility bills.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

Yeah I like your idea my2cents . It is simple,effective and fair ;)

• Reply to: Make Way for www.----.post   3 years 10 months ago

Thanks for great Information. I'm interested in this subject.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants to Know How You Feel about Sick Leave   3 years 10 months ago

Nice post. I rarely comment but wanted to commend you for these efforts - however your website is going slower than usual this morning

• Reply to: FERS Flu: A Looming Epidemic?   3 years 10 months ago

I don’t see that Congress has any incentive to give retirement credit for sick leave balances of FERS employees. The Postal Service is the only federal agency which punishes employees for using sick leave–it’s just another benefit anywhere else. So we’re the only federal agency where large numbers of FERS employees have large sick leave balances.

• Reply to: A Future Mail Processing and Transportation Network   3 years 10 months ago

Check the facts - The USPS is entity providing $ to the Government. USPS profits are being siphoned off. The USPS uses zero taxpayer dollars to operate. Your comments shows your ignorance of the over legislation problem the USPS faces.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

I was in a post office last week and noticed that the sales counter closed at 4:30pm. The post office needs to be able to hire sales clerks at a rate that other retail outlets do so they can afford to have longer hours, thus bringing in additional revenue.

• Reply to: Masters of Innovation   3 years 10 months ago

I think that the best way for USPS to innovate is to extend their web service APIs, so that we can all write programs to provide users around the world with a better USPS experience. Basically, in the end, the web services should allow you to do anything you can do by visiting your local USPS branch office. And that should start with the ability to print postage without going through one of the horrible services you've made deals with like Endicia or Stamps.com.

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 10 months ago

Seems to me that ......there are several industries besides the post office that are operating under a outdated "physical structure"and the push to partner with like situated business groups needs to be accelerated .. A long term connection with several physically struggling industry groups might prove remarkable & profitable

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

I have been thinking as an ex CEO of a large company about the USPS budget. I make the following recommendations:
    1. Cut the TV and other advertising in half 2. Paper products are very high- cut all the extra things that are printed on a receipt when I buy/purchase item to no more than having on the receipt: name of post office, date, clerk's name
    items purchased, total ot purchase, method of payment( check, debit or cred card or cash. End of receipt. I don't need the other 12 inches of info that is always printed on the receipt. 3. Why not have a drive in window from 7am -6pm (split shifts) for stamps or money orders only (no packages). It works for banks, why no the post office. Thank you.

Read with interest that US mail was originally only post office to post office and only expanded to home delivery based on a congressional approval that required it be cost effective. Go back to that... issue a suit for specific performance. If you wait for a fratured congress to issue an approval you've acccomplished nothing...

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

A suggestion to eliminate waste in USPS services and processes could financially turn cartwheels. Through Villanova University I studied Lean Sigma and Six Sigma. These simple
    systems can make processes simpler, with less repetitive steps. It can save huge amounts of
    manhours and efforts. The emphasis is not to point finger at people but at process so that best results are mapped most efficiently. I'm a Lean Sigma Analyst and know the change in employee morale with the improements gained from a lean analysis can be incredibly positive also to save time and money. Some companies can afford new capital equipment after savings from using Lean Sigma. The US Postal System is too wonderful to let go. I intend to send fax to Postmaster General P.R. Donohoe and maybe B. Rapoza of US National Association of Postmasters. God Bless the Post Office! My brother is a postal employee and works triple hard to deliver best results. I believe Lean Sigma can greatly advantage the US Postal System if done right. By that I mean not just for status but for getting the real everyday results that count and can be counted. God Bless America.

Instead of closing hundreds of Post Office locations around the country, why not discontinue Saturday delivery at every location. This will Dramatically reduce costs in labor and fuel but will help keep thousands of jobs. And I believe the change will be easier to receive since UPS and FEDEX already do the same.

Regarding the potential closings of Post Offices nationwide:

Instead of closing hundreds of Post Office locations around the country, why not discontinue Saturday delivery at every location. This will dramatically reduce costs for labor and fuel and will help keep thousands of jobs. And I believe the change will be easier to receive since UPS and FEDEX already do the same.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. We will take your comments under consideration in our future work.

• Reply to: Introduction to Contract Fraud – False Claims and Statements   3 years 10 months ago

Ms. Suzanne replied to a customer getting STREET delivery not PO Box mail. Although the Post Office will keep a PO box customers mail till the rent is up . . . it is NOT indefinitely.

Why not requisition a clue. You guys are so incredibly incompetent and inefficient. Save the taxpayers billions by shutting down. Let the private sector take over. You know, the guys that actually give a d@mn about operating logically, because they don't have a huge government teat with which they can constantly and massively drain the citizens.

• Reply to: What is the Office of Audit and why do we blog?   3 years 10 months ago

thanks for your information.. Great post

----------
    Sara

• Reply to: A New Kind of Post Office?   3 years 10 months ago

It's good to gradually modernize the post office and with the advent of technology is inevitable and is not used as much as in the past. Still can innovate new services and attract new customers. Greetings.

• Reply to: Masters of Innovation   3 years 10 months ago

That the USPS has introduced a new look to its website and BROKEN the ability to buy stamps and labels can only mean it wasn't tested. Who is the idiot in charge of this?

In theory, it would be great to reduce the number of processing plants. The reality is far different however. My plant is on the list to be closed. The only thing holding it up is transportation. Our transportation network cannot figure out how to get the mail from another plant to the AO’s early in the morning with the DPS. Think about the logistics required to move mail from Springfield MA to Fort Kent Me within six hours. That’s not happening. But, that idea is what the OIG is proposing.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

Congress wants the USPS to save money, yet evertime the USPS wants to close a facility the citizens as well as the conressman dislike the plan. Maybe we need an idea such as an added property tax similar to the tax portion that funds the public school system.

• Reply to: Fundamental Questions for the Future of the Postal Service: How Would You Answer Them?   3 years 10 months ago

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon....

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

Keep Closed PO Name and ZIP...
    In regard to the closing of small post offices -- I understand the need to close some very small POs and to consolidate others. In fact, I would favor it. However, I live in a very rural area and use one of those small post offices, which very well may close in the near future. My main concern is that I do not want to change my mailing address. I've had the same address for all of my 64 years, and my family had the same address long before I was born. In our situation, there is a second small PO nearby which will remain open and where most of the customers at my PO will likely go. I believe that our PO's name and zip code should be continued and our mail simply delivered to a new location at the nearby PO. That way, the least-used unit can close and thereby save some costs, but those of us at the closed unit can keep our longstanding mailing addresses. I expect that a bureauracy like the Postal System is unlikely to consider such practical solution to a customer problem but it should be easy to impliment and make many customers more likely to accept the changes that are likely to come.