• Reply to: Our Third Year   3 years 9 months ago

You are certainly right about those rate hikes. They are always 1 or 2 cents and the stamp prices never end in a 0 or a 5. I believe that the Postal Rates Commission has something to do with this.

• Reply to: Is Five-Day Delivery in the Future?   3 years 9 months ago

Most people don't care if they receive mail on Saturday. Quite often they are out of town anyway. From a maintenance and gas usage viewpoint, five day delivery would save the USPS a huge amount of money. It would also raise moral amongst letter carriers, for then they could all have Sat/Sun off. The only problems that I can see is the larger mail volume to be delivered on Mondays and the scheduling of subs to cover vacation and sick leave.

• Reply to: Neighborhood Mail   3 years 9 months ago

I am a MFSA member. I resent USPS deciding to compete with their best customer the Direct Mail Industry with the EDDU Program.
    A new Postmaster General wants MSPs to partner with him to promote a program that makes it easier for businesses to bypass our services and prepare their own mailings. The stated goal of the EDDM program is to go after SMBs that are not using the mail stream. But where have postal marketing and sales teams gone to find these “NEW” customers? To their local BMEU’s where they gather contact information (provided by MSPs) of our existing customers.
    Every time there is a big postal marketing push, postal sales people rush to BMEU’s to collect proprietary mail owner information (identified as a Ghost Number) that was provided in confidence by MSPs. Also available to postal sales people is the type of mail utilized, quantities mailed, frequency, and postage amounts paid by these Ghost Number accounts. For many MSPs, this privileged information is not allowed to be shared with anyone and is covered by confidentiality agreements. And yet the USPS takes this proprietary information and is able to share it with the world!

• Reply to: Neighborhood Mail and the Future of the Postal Service   3 years 9 months ago

EDDM is not a good thing for the postal service nor for the mailing industry. You are looking the wrong direction to make the Postal Service healthy again. Stop EDDM. Stop throwing the mailing industry under the bus. We have worked as partners for years. The mailing industry has created the opportunity for the Postal Service to run more efficiently. We have created the best mailing lists and worked with you to ensure they are the best. We continue to prepare the mail efficiently at your specifications, to create list hygiene and smoother cleaner mail and you want to throw that away? EDDM is not the answer. It does not drive new business to mail, it hurts the integrity of what has already been built. Try another route. This is the wrong one. Listen to the thoughts of MFSA and know that we want the USPS to survive and be healthy and we can do it together!

The most important factor in the sucess of the new EDDM program is for the USPS sales force tocontact new mailers(those not currently using the mail. If they try to convert existing mailers there will be on increase in Standard mail volumes.

While I agree that any tools that will make the process easier and less costly for mailers would be good for the industry, I am not sure I am sold on the profitability assumed for Simplified Addressed Flats.
    Is this going to increase the volume that bypasses machine processing? If so, it could increase the Postal Service's main cost concern - labor, as this volume would need to be sorted and distributed at the DDU, bypassing the automated sortation process. Even if the flats are a separate bundle, there would still be an increase in the street time labor if not in the office.
    Also, since we are currently dealing with excess capacity at the processing facilities (allowing much-needed consolidations), this product could exacerbate this problem, and the workshare cost avoidance savings passed down to the mailers could be less likely to help cover the overhead fixed costs the Postal network currently maintains for automated mail.
    Another concern is determining how much of the volume would be new, compared to diverted volume from a different class, I am sure some mailers would convert the current volume they mail through USPS if they can reduce costs, but will that result in larger profit margins from others categories of mail being mailed in a way that has a potentially smaller profit margin for the USPS? I am hopeful that this product could be profitable and bring in new volume, but as labor costs seem to be the most difficult to reduce while being the largest portion of the USPS operating costs it seems that the less automation we use, the more labor we will require.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Eliminate Sunday Mail Processing Operations?   3 years 9 months ago

I believe sunday mail should be stopped.

• Reply to: Can Letter Processing Get Even Better?   3 years 9 months ago

The postal service is much needed, even though technology has developed rapidly. However the postal service is also a technology, because it has provided an efficient service to serve all customers.
    I believe the current postal service can be better in service and customer trust.

• Reply to: 40 Years Ago   3 years 9 months ago

I know in Canada the use of postal workers is almost out dated. With so many super boxes there is no need for a person making over 50K a year to deliver the mail.

• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   3 years 9 months ago

I use these machines frequently and only go to the desk if I have questions. I also use online a lot. However, today I had an experience that makes me wary to use these machines. I had a small package returned for .37 postage. I was waiting in line to ask about it but it's so irritating waiting for slow people making up their minds about which stamps to buy that I just went to the machine to buy a stamp and be done with it. Since my daughter had mailed it for me, I thought I'd double check the postage. Second time same amount $1.68. I was annoyed and wanted to say something but now the line was longer. So I just bought a stamp and mailed it. It took an extra couple of days to do this - what if I was in a hurry? Can I trust the calibration on these machines again? Not sure.

• Reply to: Is Five-Day Delivery in the Future?   3 years 9 months ago

Lets focus upon determining if delivery hubs for self-service pickup rather than delivery points is the future for “affordable” universal mail service.

• Reply to: Could Radio Frequency Identification Make the U.S. Postal Service the Premier Delivery System?   3 years 9 months ago

Yes, Express and possibly special services mailings such as Certified, Insured, etc.

Thanks

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   3 years 9 months ago

This is a good idea.

Ezra

surely Express as well???? Or is it already hyopthetically RFI tagged?

• Reply to: Postal Service Customer Service Is It Working for You?   3 years 9 months ago

I think you could pretty much say the same thing about any postal service anywhere in the world. they all have their issues and if you think about the sheer volume of mail they have to sort and deliver each day, there's little wonder why there are so many issues with them.

• Reply to: Taking the Postal Platform to the Digital World   3 years 9 months ago

I do see a need for "electronic cash." Online businesses that offer "prepaid cards" wouldn't be doing so if the costs of making and distributing the cards wasn't cheaper than Visa/MasterCard processing fees. To me, it seems they need an alternative so badly that they're willing to pay for and implement one themselves.

And I do see an opportunity for the USPS to leverage having a storefront in every town to be able to push this.

But I'm personally not sure the USPS could pull it off. I still remember the quiet death of Pay@Delivery.

• Reply to: Postal Ping Pong Diplomacy: Opportunity Knocks for the U.S. Postal Service   3 years 9 months ago

To go off on a tangent, I think the USPS themselves would do well to get back into the postal banking business. Aside from being a potential revenue stream, the lot of the un- and underbanked is getting worse and they could use a "bank of last resort" of sorts.

Something like simple savings account and a discount on USPS money orders for account holders (rather than a true checking account). Maybe insist that deposits be limited to cash and payroll checks (if not direct deposit outright).

It would be a public good to have an alternative to what's available to them now.

JR,

Thanks for your clarification. Keep in mind that the idea being discussed has to do with tagging parcels, not letter and flat sized mail.

Thanks

• Reply to: Betting on the Postal Service?   3 years 9 months ago

Postal Services should probably focus on mail?

I want to clarify the last post. Inexpensive RFID's are intended for
    campus environments...
    RFID's are regulary used in tolling, logistical applications, and
    many other inventory applications in supply chain systems, as the price for tags have come down.
    However, until ink can be tagged electronically "biometric", to
    envisage billion's of individual items to be tag integrated, may
    appear unlikely.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Use the Internet to Meet its Service Obligations?   3 years 9 months ago

Thanks for your comments and for voting! Your responses help us to develop topics to research and blog about.

I believe NIST, National Institute Standards and Technology, another federal agency, would be an excellent resource and great partner for the development of eMAILBOX --- which I think should be one of the core strategies for the Postal Service to carry out its Universal Mail Service obligation moving forward. Has anyone from the Postal Service or your office reached out to with Have any one from your office? If not, perhaps you could recommend that the USPS should at least explore that option with best of the best technology and information security experts rather than put the idea on a backburner as "defensive" strategy.

This proposal assumes the public wants a govt email address tied to their physical address - WRONG!

This proposal assumes all have access to computers & skills needed for emailing - WRONG!

This proposal refers to serving "unbanked" members of the public - these people don't have a bank account, it is also likely that they also are not computer literate!

Bad idea & reeks of "big brother". The proposal isn't UNIVERSAL SERVICE, it is elite service to those who have computers & computer skills. What about the poor, the elderly, those who aren't tech savvy?

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   3 years 9 months ago

My son is a college student who doesn't have a credit card, so your new validation system wouldn't work for someone like him. He now has to find a way to get to the post office and hope they have a form there. Why can't he just print a form and give it to his mail carrier? With gas at $4.25 per gallon no one wants to drive to the post office just to get a form.

• Reply to: Stamp Vending Machines   3 years 9 months ago

The Sierra Madre, California 91024 post office removed the coin-based machines and installed credit card-based APC. I liked it a lot. But a couple of weeks ago they removed the APC and they say they are not going to replace it. Why?