• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

I think locality pay is long overdue. Pay what is required in the local markets to get people qualified to do the work required. However, let's get away for this inflated sense of self importance and overly complex position descriptions. The work is pretty routine. If you are a carrier follow the mail and put it in the right box-pretty simple. If you are a clerk, your job is much less complex than a bank teller who makes 50% of what PO clerks make. Most letter carriers and clerks make over 50K - ridiculous!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Don't we have a contract,isn't that how we do business.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

The wages should be different depending on region. I work as a level 10 for the USPS and my wages are just above poverty in california. There should be some type of regional compensation.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

When discussing pay, the craft employees should not be the only ones brought up. Postal management could be compared to the private sector, also, which would not be a pretty picture. While Postal craft workers could be compared to UPS and FEDEX workers, who are paid more and have better benefits than us, postal supervisors could be compared to managers at fast food places, with salaries in the $20-30,000 range. The Postmaster General, on the other hand, could be compared to a major business CEO, and could be paid millions. Since we are a Federal business, our craft wages are set by negotiated contracts, and the managers are just set accordingly.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

cool, base my salary as a city letter carrier against that of ups, theyre elivery drivers are up to $29.00/hr, while the nalc top pay is at about $26./hr

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

The fact of the matter is that there is only one pie from which to draw salaries. Why should it be sliced up based on the location of your workplace. We all do the same job...we should receive the same pay. The Postal Service is not going to come up with more money...they will just take it from some and give it to others.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

I believe that it should be comparable to other govt. jobs. Equal to a GS-7 to a GS-11. Regardless of the Cost of living at local areas, I believe that you should match the Federal Sector ONLY.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

No one seems to have factored in the job security aspect of working in the PO. In the private sector you can be gone tomorrow for no special reason. So, high risk (fired/laid off) should provide a higher potential gain (better $$$). PO employees are spoiled: overpaid and with new technology generally underemployed. NAPUS, NAPS, and all the unions have one thing in common: featherbedding. Sure, we need PMs in N Sutton, S Sutton, E Sutton and W Sutton....NOT!!!! All within 5 miles of each other!!! Gotta love these one person offices...

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 7 months ago

I have an idea. Let Potter run the USPS like he was hired to do. Another idea close the OIG it is a total waste of taxpayers money.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Mailman are hardworking people, who serve the public regarind rain, snow, or shine. Mailman are consider underpay when you compare the usps mailman to ups driver. Mailman only makes $25 an hour compare to $28 for ups driver. my brother inlaw works for the ups as a driver.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

As a letter carrier in the great lakes region I cannot think of any job that can be compared to ours. With FSS coming in the spring, and a return to a multiple bundle system with longer routes of approx. 7 hours on the street; relays in excess of 30 minutes long; in the elements collating mail in our hands; up and down snow and ice covered streets and stairs... who do you do a wage comparison with???

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

I have delivered mail over 30 years. The United Parcel driver who delivers to my home has been with UPS for 9 years. We compared W-2 forms last year, he makes over 20K more than I do with the Postal Service.I think that Postal Service Carriers pay should be raised to match the pay of United Parcel Service drivers, we delivery a lot more stops per day every day.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Nobody is forced to work in the public sector. the post office can not match the pay of the private sector and I for one, do not think it should try. You know what the pay is up front. I suggest you choose the public job and the pay that goes with it or you go into the private sector. I work for the USPS to the serve the public. If my scheme had been to get rich, I certainly would have gone into the private sector. I do feel sorry for those who work for the USPS and complain,complain, and complain about what they make.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 7 months ago

I think 1 way the P.O. could recover some lost revenue is by checkcking into busineses that are using caller service and are not paying for it.Caller service costs almost 1200 a year. I have had 6 or 7 companies move onto my route in the past year and they all said that they never paid for caller ever before. All of these copanies came from different parts of NJ and 2 fromm out of state thats over 8000 a year just from these 7 companies just think how many hundreds or even thousands of companies nation wide are getting this 1200 a year srevice for free.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Postal employees pay should be in line with that of UPS employees. This is the private sector they should be compared to, not some other lower wage comparisons the Postal Service would like to campare them to. Also, the wages should be uniform as to not discriminate by regions.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Clearly the only jobs even remotely similiar to that of Mailmen is UPS drivers and FedEx drivers. How does the Mailman's pay compare to these? You should put that on your blog.

The people who sort the mail and work the window should get the same as their counterparts at UPS and FedEx.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Matching the wages and benefits of UPS drivers for letter carriers might be almost fair, although letter carriers have a more difficult job.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

I could never figure out how someone could afford to live in California, New York, etc while working at the PO. However, I would hate to see low cost areas cut the salaries of the employees.

• Reply to: How Should the Postal Service Sell Its Products?   5 years 7 months ago

I am a 30 year Postal Employee with several years experience as an SSA and 204-B Acting Supervisor. I am well known and respected by my customers at the window for providing excellent customer service and for my product knowledge. In my opinion the Postal Service is heading in the wrong direction by “standardizing” all Post Offices and requiring SSA’s to follow a “script”. The first example of this I can give you is that a few years back, we tuned in to a local Classic Rock station playing music in the lobby for customers to enjoy while they were waiting for service. We were so popular that the local radio station would mention us on the air frequently and dubbed us the “Rock and Roll Post Office”. What great Public Relations that was! Sadly, someone sitting behind a desk somewhere decided no more radios, TV’s or clocks in the lobbies. Horrible decision!
    As for the “script” we are being forced to follow. I cannot express strongly enough my, my co-workers, and our customers, distaste for this manner of doing business. I have attempted to follow the prescribed script and this is what I have observed. The customer, at first, listens to what I am saying, then a look of impatience crosses their face, and by the time I have finished my spiel, they just want to get the heck out of there and not come back. In my opinion, my job is to professionally assess my customers’ needs, (How soon do you need this to arrive?, is there anything requiring insurance? Do you need someone to sign for the article? etc.) and provide the shipping and services that best fit their needs, whether that is Express Mail or Media Mail. Up selling to increase revenue is a bad, bad idea. In fact, in the POS system, if a customer asks for Media Mail and the article would be cheaper to send by First Class Mail, the software prompts me to ask the customer if they would prefer the lower cost, faster service. This is as it should be, seeing as we are the United States Postal SERVICE. Personally, I have no problem with a business that explains the options that are available to me, but when I go to a business that tries to pressure me to upgrade to their “premium” product, (offer Express Mail first, then force the customer to respond), I will go out of my way to NOT use that business again. As for “do you want fries with that?”, if fries are plainly listed on the menu and I haven’t ordered them, then you have just wasted my valuable time asking me stupid questions. My customers tell me that transaction time, public service, and ease of use are the primary factors in determining customer satisfaction. I would agree with that. If we are to increase revenues, then we should do so by providing our customers quality, efficient, friendly service, so that they will want to return, not by using quotas or up selling techniques

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

I agree with GG's comment. But both private and public sector employees have salaries that differ by region. what doesn't the Postal Service follow suit. That's the perplexing question.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

It is long overdue for Postal Service wages to match prevailing local conditions. Even the rest of the federal government instituted local pay for blue collar positions during the Civil War!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 7 months ago

Although the Postal Service is called to operate like a business, it also serves an very important public function (binding the nation, etc.) for which it retains a valuable monopoly. As a result, Postal Service salaries cannot be wholly detached from the public sector. Salaries for both public and private sectors for comparable functions should be considered in setting an appropriate salary, which is sufficiently competitive to attract and retain the best qualified persons for the job.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 7 months ago

Angie A,

Thanks for your comment. This topic was posted on July 20th, but it's always open for more votes or comments. The date is at the bottom of the post. Sorry for any confusion.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 7 months ago

why not have a 10% pay cut for all career hourly and management employees. lets say you make 25 bucks an hour, I am sure you will not quit your job if you make 22.50 an hour. 22.50 an hour is still good money in my opinion. never ever pay overtime to any employee. if the employee works overtime give the employee paid time off for all the ot hours worked. the postal service would save billions of dallars if employees took a 10% pay cut and were never paid overtime.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 7 months ago

This OIG site does not have a date in the heading paragraph. It refers to "Wednesday" but doesn't include a date. So when is this site extinct? Already? Please use more date information in future programs. Thank you