• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Mail is picked up from every business and houshold, yank the boxes off the street and save the money, gas, time, and help the environment at the same time.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

our town used to have 32 blue collection boxes. the boxes were tapped daily no matter how few letters were in them. now we have about 12 for the whole town.of the 12,4 sit in the alley behind the post office. SERVICE has not diminished,just ask any mgt type at district or above. they are correct in one repect. we still provide the blue box. the problem is finding the _ _ _.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 9 months ago

I have been a letter carrier for nearly twenty years now. We just started carrying mail in an FSS environment a couple of weeks ago. Zero training, zero discussion of how to carry the mail. It is obvious that postal management has decided to put their heads in the sand and act like FSS will add no time to the street. It adds 3-5 minutes per division and if you have a park and loop with 15 divisions you have an added 30-45 minutes per day on the street. You cannot pike mail out of you bag in between houses. I tried to carry a third bundle for a week and finally gave up. Now I just collate the residual mail with the FSS at the back of the vehicle. Management has shown no respect for the craft in dumping a new work method on us without any recognition or consideration of its effects. Unfortunately their failure will ultimately mean failure for the Postal Service. I am extremely disappointed, though not surprised by the performance of postal management.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Lets try posting that website again: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108119/the-accidental-hero.html?mod=career-selfemployment

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Just as lowering taxes HAS PROVEN TIME AND AGAIN to increase economic activity and actually generate more revenue due to higher gains on productivity ("Google" search "The Laffer Curve" to learn more), here's a great example of how lowering prices led to this company increasing sales so much that it has led to massive overtime as well massive profits: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-...- selfemployment The USPS would be wise to follow suit, as it's been proven to work time and again. We've alreadt seen the devastating effects of raising prices here in the USPS, and how doing it loses volume and thus profits. The fact is, we, like that company I illustrated, had and have excess capacity and we're literally paying people in some areas to do nothing. Lowering prices to spur volume that we could basically handle and deliver for nothing, since we have to process and deliver everyday anyway, is the right move. Raising rates and curtailing service (eliminating collection boxes, cutting a delivery day and reducing window hours as examples) is a suicidal business model. Doing the opposite, lowering rates and expanding service is the best way to emerge from this funk.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

I still remember how I found out my local mailbox was gone. I walked down to where it always was, and there were 4 rusty marks on the ground where it was.
    It seemed my only option was to get in my car, and drive to where there was a mailbox. All the milboxes were in a neighborhood where there were less than 10 houses per block. My street had 50+ houses, but no "significant" citizens.
    When I looked at the new pick up times, I realized that it wasn't even going to picked up until late the following day.
    At this point I realized that my mail was a great inconvenience to the Postal Service. As a good citizen, and a considerate person, I chose to make other arrangements, and drove a few more blocks to the letters destination.
    The following month, I knew that I could just drop the letters off, and this time I didn't have to bother the postal service with printing, or selling me any stamps. If they don't want my mail, If my tranactions cost too much, then I can take a hint.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Put them back out at major intersections, or at least one on every carriers route. Pick it up once a day when the carrier goes past it, the only pickup of the day. List the location of the nearest boxes with a late pickup, if a customer has something hot.

Advertize on the box...click and ship, piority mail, etc...

Cost minimal....we have the boxes, 2 -3 minutes for carrier to scan and change out the tub, advertising value, and good will....priceless.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

The decline in the availability and strategic placement of the traditional blue collection box is going to be another bad business decision by the Postal Service. Might has well change the name, because Service is no longer the priority of this business.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

If it was a security related strategy, perhaps they should have replaced the steel boxes with a see through
    design that would have scanned the customer deposited item with a time stamp, and thus, started the id tracking program for the item.
    I trust the ole blue boxes are being recycled into a green related Co2 friendly use.
    So the USPS earn some carbon credits for the fuel use "demerit" penalties they incur.
    Think of the possibilities. The hypothetical new boxes
    could be recycled PET, with various cots electronic
    features. Or simply a multi-use container that could be picked up and whisked away to the high speed sorter. In any event, a green job could have been
    created for a veteran, or a homeless veteran rather than simply giving them a blanket?

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

People like their corner mailbox. It takes the carrier 2 minutes to tap as he is going by. Another stupid idea to make customers hate us even more.

• Reply to: Are There Other Viable Alternatives for 6-Day Delivery Operations?   5 years 9 months ago

It may become absolutely necessary, for the continued economic survival of the Postal Service, to reduce service to only 5 days per week. But why discontinue on Saturday? Why is that the only day that, apparently, is under consideration?

I can make a guess at answering my own question -- the Postal Service does not want to upset businesses, but is quite all right with the idea of upsetting citizens. Otherwise the idea of stopping delivery on Monday might at least be discussed.

As for shutting down the actual offices on Saturday, this would be disastrous for me. My local post office is only open Monday through Friday during the hours that I'm at work. As I live in an apartment, items that won't fit into the small mail box assigned to me have to be picked up at the post office -- on Saturday. Currently my local office is only open for two hours on Saturday (and half the town shows up to pick up packages during that time). Shutting down offices on Saturday means I'd NEVER get a portion of my mail.

But I'm just a citizen, and not a business, so the Postal Service doesn't give a darn about me, right?

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

The postal service took out many/most of these collection boxes some years ago. Mostly out of the campus area (high volume traffic of students). Then throughout the city. While delivering mail I took many complaints from students (apt box locations generally dont have outgoing mail slots or boxes) and the university offices said their mail is not ready to go out when the carrier gets there and they utilized the boxes that got picked up later that evening. Business too complained for the same reason as they would drop off their mail at the nearest box on the way home for pick up. Driving to the post office was out of the way.

But they (USPS)wanted to cut city delivery hours and get their bonuses at the expense of customer service. And maybe tell the customer to look elsewhere. Now, in part, they worry that business will not come back. What was the real cost.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

There are some really good comments/suggestions on this site. Is ANYONE listening?

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

this definetly hurts service, they want people to think they provide such excellent service and they will go above and beyond but this is clearly not the case. what major expense is involved with these boxes some that have been in place for decades. i had one on my route that had more than 25 pieces daily but somehow i went on vacation and during that time they did the test and removed the box. it is hard to sell customers on the benefits when they do things that undermine their own marketing.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

USPS has forgotten they are a government service established for the people. it was not created for it to make a profit. whats worse they pay there employees chump change for the work they do. delivering mail is not and easy task lest any one kid themselves. It is time the lazy greedy politician investigate col john potter and his flying fairies of greedy postal board of governor for delaying the mail. And it is time for Americans to put all these government agencies on notice that we the people have the say.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Removal of collection boxs is another part of the Continuation of the UPSP strategy to not have to deal with American public, Reduced lobby hours and days, reduced locations, elimination of collection boxes, elimination of vending machines, removal of APC’s, USPS only wants to deal with the corporate mailers not the general public, USPS would eliminate home delivery if the thought they could get away with it. Just think where the banking industry would be if they used the half-hearted support for the ATM machine that we put into the APC.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

USPS is desperately trying to advertise services to the public while we take away the blue boxes and make them wait an hour in line. The only logical answer to this is that USPS no long want to deliver older folks' stinking 41 cent envelops. Not much of a profit margin from that kind of mailing.

When money is the only concern, service will go out the window and profit taking/making becomes the mission of the organization. Tha't why we push the priority mail while taking away the blue boxes. It's all about money folks.

The EXFC scores and the zero bundle theory is another valid point that I had not thought of before...

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

I think that the removal of these boxes impacts the image of the Postal Service second only to the closure of offices. People depend on these boxes and in many areas, this is the only convienient access to Postal Services. There may be only 15 pieces in that box on a given day, but to those customers, they are the most important 15 pieces. We need to look at the Postal Service's image long term.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

I was going to comment, but everyone here made the point. Nation wide we are flushing our service down the toilet. Management, thank you for taking service out of the Postal Service.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

I work for the post office, management does NOT care about customer service. They ONLY careabout time, cutting out time makes their “numbers” look better andgets them a bonus. Bonusesare all they care about, they’d sell their mothers for better numbers. AND they do NOT care what you, the public, think or want. They laugh at you and the workforce as they bully and intimidate and lie to getwhat they want. Our slogan should be, “We are the US Postal Service and you’ll do what we want and like it.”

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Why pay money for TV commercials and magazine ads, then remove collection boxes? The less visible, the less relevant we become. People might Mail that card if it was convenient, but if they have to go downtown to the Post Office to Mail it they will send an E-mail instead. If we want to build volume we need to make it easier and more convenient to use the mail, not harder. We are throwing out the baby with the bathwater in so many ways it is no longer funny.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

Postal Management does not care about providing
    SERVICE to the American Public...they are ONLY
    CONCERNED WITH COST CONTROL as THEY SEE IT.

City wide afternoon collections from the "Blue Boxes"
    represent only COSTS to them, not SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

This is one of the stupider things the USPS has done next to removing stamp machines from the lobbies. I always used drop boxes and stamp machines. Now I have to wait in line just to buy one stamp. When business is bad cutting employees and services is not the answer. I guess upper management within the USPS is still out of touch with reality.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   5 years 9 months ago

We are a service organization, stop taking away public services

Start charging people a fee to get their mail. Even a dollar a month will help. Who else will deliver to every home, apartment and business for free? Times-a-changin'.