• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

I thought it was considered a safety hazard for rural carriers to dismount for a blocked box?

We were told we couldn't have any of that stuff at our cases because we could hide mail in them?!?!?! Guess they don't trust us.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

We have doors like that in our office. Two sets of double swinging doors that open in or out. The exit doors are always blocked with the wire cages that the parcels came in that morning. Everybody has to go out the in door, with big signs over them saying "Do not exit."

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

and they do get bonuses just look it up in the budget.. "spot awards"

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

we have that rule in our office.. No cell phone use on the workroom floor unless your management and the USPS pays for it... Anyway can anyone answer how much the USPS, who is so broke, pays for Blackberry's for management? I watch my PM who makes 100g, and my POOM who makes 115g have them... um why?

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

The SW Area has implemented a rule sometime back that in order to bring in anybody on all day OT they have must higher level permission ON THE DAY OF THE NEED. No preplanning NSD OT. This results in mandatory OT of non-ODL carriers, a grievance and then a settlement for admin leave for the non-ODL carriers and applicable payments for the ODL/TE carriers who missed out on the opportunity to work the OT. So for 2 hours of mail delivery that was forced on a non-ODL carriers, the agency paid 2 hrs OT, 2 hrs admin, AND 2 hrs POT for a total cost of $216 when it should have cost only $96. Multiply that by the 500 plus grievances per year we handle and each grievance routinely deals with 5 + hours of mandatory...

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Wow...Ok...How about Valid DPS changes that "cant" be done because the authorized supervisor retired?...Truck repairs not being done unless hounded with safety rules threatened...VOMA supervisors cutting items from truck repairs to save money....Snow chains not authorized because they dont use them in other sections of the country but OUR roads aren't plowed till afternoon...Supervisors NOT picking up the phones or going to the windows for customers...EAS doing real estate deals on the clock...and disappearing en masse during the day....come on already...inspect.....

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

How about the rule that when the usps buys a piece of equipment...it WORKS AND has to pass an acceptance test BEFORE purchasing? Me thinks they buy before passing witness the fss.

where to start
    #1 - stop chasing numbers for higher level bonus (you know, the $$ that is directed to district and above staff while those who actually produce get the 'leftovers' - let's actually concentrate on the core mission.
    #2 - save paper and printing costs - isn't this info stored for access.
    #3 - mystery shop? - who in headquarters are tied to the contracts for this. again numbers.
    #4 - why staff any management at delivery units? - all direction comes from district office (did I mention these people don't touch a piece of mail and are concerned 'only' with numbers?)
    #5 - evaluate city routes - won't have to worry about numbers.
    #6 - drastically reduce headquarter and support staff - again these people don't touch the mail and the only support (ops) gives is to do things their way because they know your office better (long distance management.)
    #7 - other issues already addressed by other posts like spending $30 to make sure a $4 piece of mail is delivered just because of - you guessed it - 'numbers'. these are not 'costs of doing business' -it's why we're in this mess.
    #8 - all the above do not support our mission - they get in the way.
    #9 - obviously VOE surveys don't work.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Sirs: hiring process for management positions, no ergonomic changes in vehicles, start times, staffing, lack of information on anything from management,no leadership, smashing of packages by sortation design,no response from e-ideas program, regular boldfaced lying from management, lack of service standards, NO safety standards enforcement, no step awards for excelling, dirty working conditions, overall lack of any kind of truthfullness from management, lack of understanding between the field offices and headquarters, overall lack of TIMELY response from any kind of management, lack of interest in the real voice of the employee, marginalyzing of injured employees, lack of professionalism in management relations with employees, failure to adjust to new conditions on the part of management.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

We need a system to report management waste in the PO.
    If you have 7 managers and ll craft, they should be watched and reported as to how much time they are "down".

2 or more craft should write a report and send it to the state steward.

Once a month the steward should send the combined reports to the POOM, Area Postal Headquarters, Washington Postal, and the local congressman. The next months report should ask why the previous months management waste was not corrected.

Sooner or later things will become embarrassing. If a groundswell began to happen on a national level involving all unions these un-needed managers would begin to feel some heat. (just like we are feeling)

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

I second the post about delivering out of sequence DPS. I've had to break off my route, drive 5-6 miles across town, just to deliver a piece of first class rent to own store advertisement, then drive 5-6 miles back to resume delivery.

Also, having to dismount for a blocked rural box is a waste. I have the same rural boxes blocked on a daily basis, even though the customer has a place to park other than in front of the box. But our district, we have to dismount. I lose 5-10 minutes daily due to that.

We cannot have items at our case, even though we use them every day. MLNA cards, COA cards, vacant house notices...all have to be removed from our cases. So, we have to walk around the office every morning looking for these items.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

try an get a silly rule eliminated. the PM or POOM may also believe it is silly or dumb, but tell you to do it anyway. we operate with so many silly or dumb rules because of lack of leadership. leadership is an art. they spent a lot of time especially in the military trying to teach leadership. the USPS lacks considerably in this area.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Do away with the current version of the mystery shopper program; it is a waste and I personally find it unethical.

Figure out how much money is spent chasing the EXFC goals. Don't do away with EXFC (service is what we sell) but lets find out the "true" cost.

Stop delivering missent mail to offices when the carriers have already hit the street. Unless its express, it doesn't get delivered.

Stamp stock limits! :-(

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Same thing happened to me....I was stopped, then rear-ended. Then I was told it was preventable because I didn't move forward. I wasn't allowed to report I COULDN'T move because of traffic.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

even if you do not take a lunch, you still have to take a 1 click lunch because the DOIS program automatically deducts for a lunch if you work over 6 hrs. (and you know the USPS is not going to can the DOIS program)

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Our office has designated (with signs because we are too stupid to remember which is which, I guess) an 'in' door and an 'out' door to and from the loading dock to avoid walking postal traffic accidents. Of course, at the end of the day, when we are equally busy going in and out, the 'out' door is locked for security reasons.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Well, I have read alot of the previous posts. I agree on several. As a clerk in a P&DC, I have seen my share of "what is that all about?" But this post from OIG wanting to know stupid work place rules, I need to be more specific. #1) light duty clerks; have the supervisor (s) and a steward diligently find ALL the light duties possible within a plant, ie: putting labels in trays for automation, and manual, etc. I mean go over the daily operations with a fine tooth comb and assign all the details possible within their limitations. If plants would do this initially, then make it a process nationally. #2) grievances out the roof, union and USPS dont have this kind of money to throw away on the same old song and dance. If supervisors want to issue discipline like candy, have the steward, supervisor and employee meet to resolve. get into an adult way of thinking. Whats negotiable? Is this a hard working employee whose feeling slighted, overworked? overstressed? Did you offer them time off if feeling overburdened? Is is possible? work it out. #4) Leave without pay; many employees do like to leave early, they can stand to take a few hours LWOP each day even to just take care of business. Is this being offered? You would think its a no brainer. #5) The supervisors NEED to keep the employee informed on whats going on, but most times the supervisors dont know themselves. Is the operation having problems with turn around? why? how often? whats the consequence? slacking in turn around times? Are there employees who are just not pulling their own? set up teams, but dont put ALL the burden with those employees who work the hardest to pick up the slack for those who just wont! giving the message that less productivity from an employee is rewarded with 3 more employees!! Have the employees be responsible for their work locations, give it to them, tell them what you would like to see and believe me, you will see it. Just back off of us. and #6) I am sure alot of people would disagree but crossing crafts is a tender subject, if the mail cannot get out because it isnt a mail handler function, or if the mail cant get processed because it is isnt a clerk function and overtime must be allocated to that particular craft, in this postal climate when overtime is evident, then cross crafts. Its the same business. #7) give the overtime to meet the needs of the service to THOSE who are actually known to 'work' for it, AND not to just use up the budget for the office #8) Why doesnt each office have a website such as we are using here to put in their own solutions? No bickering allowed, just simple ideas that may or may not work? But the mere suggestion is a step in the right direction. USPS you cannot afford not to let your employees help you pull youselves up, giving their input on a regular basis pertaining to the needs of the offices they service. We are all in this together, and if you go down, we go with you. At least, give us that chance!

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

When asked what I do at the PO, I always say I am a Manager, with a smile. When asked why I am smileing, I say, "Its becasue of what I do." The next quesition is what do I do? My response, "I am the most overpaid, under qualified data entry clerk you will ever meet."

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Boy, isn't that the truth.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

What gets me with the "Secret Shopper" is I keep getting told McDonald's does it. We are not McDonalds, we do not offer the same products. Nor are our customers at our windows for the same reason. Guess my window clerks should all put on Clown makeup.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Don't forget, "No talking on the work room floor!"

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

we just had a carrier get bit last week. she was not wearing her satchel. she had her dog spray but did not use it. if she had her satchel maybe she would not have been bitten in the leg. if you dont like the rules of the job, maybe you should look for another one. in this economy, good luck.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

Here's stupid for ya:...Postmaster comes to your case while you are casing your morning mail and hands you a printed report of a "possible" misorted letter that is in your dps mail and tells you to stop your work, walk to the other end of the building and search through your dps to find the ONE letter that the computer has found. Now when I return from my route in the afternoon with almost a foot of missorted letter mail from dps the PM just shruggs. Waste of time and therefore waste of money.

Great suggestion!
    Tomorrow morning Scan labels will be installed on each toliet stall, We will allow you to wash your hands for free

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 10 months ago

As a city carrier I find these two rules so silly, I am going to register them with the Ministry of Silliness.

1. Were not allowed to have more then two wings on our case, yet Mgt is adding more and more deliveries. Now I am crammed into a two wing 6 shelve case that has double addresses in many single cells. I have a hard time casing, you know, the volume that's never coming back. The case gets to full, hard to case up, promotes misdeliveries, slow to pull down, double clutching. And now there are gaping holes in our office because were all pushed together.
    Why, oh wise ones, why ?
    2.The silly rule that says I can't handle parcels or line up and unstrap coverages in the office. Why ? Because it's a street funtion not an office funtion, I was told by one sup, the next one told me it was because it would be double handling the mail ? Ok whatever, all I know is when I could line it up in the office it saved me overall time, therefore...