• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Don't forget, "No talking on the work room floor!"

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

we just had a carrier get bit last week. she was not wearing her satchel. she had her dog spray but did not use it. if she had her satchel maybe she would not have been bitten in the leg. if you dont like the rules of the job, maybe you should look for another one. in this economy, good luck.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Here's stupid for ya:...Postmaster comes to your case while you are casing your morning mail and hands you a printed report of a "possible" misorted letter that is in your dps mail and tells you to stop your work, walk to the other end of the building and search through your dps to find the ONE letter that the computer has found. Now when I return from my route in the afternoon with almost a foot of missorted letter mail from dps the PM just shruggs. Waste of time and therefore waste of money.

Great suggestion!
    Tomorrow morning Scan labels will be installed on each toliet stall, We will allow you to wash your hands for free

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

As a city carrier I find these two rules so silly, I am going to register them with the Ministry of Silliness.

1. Were not allowed to have more then two wings on our case, yet Mgt is adding more and more deliveries. Now I am crammed into a two wing 6 shelve case that has double addresses in many single cells. I have a hard time casing, you know, the volume that's never coming back. The case gets to full, hard to case up, promotes misdeliveries, slow to pull down, double clutching. And now there are gaping holes in our office because were all pushed together.
    Why, oh wise ones, why ?
    2.The silly rule that says I can't handle parcels or line up and unstrap coverages in the office. Why ? Because it's a street funtion not an office funtion, I was told by one sup, the next one told me it was because it would be double handling the mail ? Ok whatever, all I know is when I could line it up in the office it saved me overall time, therefore...

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

I fix strobe lights for the Cincinnati District on a quasi-official-unofficial basis. On thurs, my office will not have any maintenance hours budgeted. Hence I expect offices that have a broken strobe lite will pitch it, and order a new one for $80-90 dollars since they will not be able to send them to me. even better is the fact that the individual offices have been left to fend for themselves on strobes. as a result I have worked on 23 different models. 95% of the strobes I work on come from one particular company. I have told my superiors not to buy from them as they put out junk. you guessed it-DEAF EARS.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

My PM has to order all "supplies" from a single outfit contracted by the USPS.
    He pays over $8 for a single ream of paper,...that could be bought at Office Max for $3. And even less at Wal-Mart.
    How many thousands of reams are used by the PO every year?
    Not to mention all the other high priced stuff.
    I guess the relative of somebody high in the PO owns that company huh?
    There are thousands of ways for the PO to save money, IF that was of interest to them. But of course, we know it isn't.

IZ TEN ENUFF
    1. Once we tried a flexible reporting time where the carrier knew his route and had 30 min before or after the scheduled time to report and it worked perfect. Poor management had to think too much to calculate each routes hours everyday. The ivory towers said no and that was gone. Stupid.! the current claim is that carriers might have to wait around for mail if they come in early. If the Ivory tower can make us waste time and spend ten dollars redelivering one piece of missorted DPS, then why can't they make the standing around guy record his time so it can be removed? If he wants to come in 4 hours early and there is no mail then record "-4 hours" on his trip sheet. How hard is that?

2.Today we can't hang our coat beside our case because it could have a bomb in it? The Ivory tower now does not permitpersonal items at case, of course, unless they need for you to have them: scissors; pens, etc. We even have to waste time walking to a bathroom to get our raincoats. Yet management has have everything personal they need at their desks.

3. The security badges are stupid and a waste of time: if someone were going to shoot postal workers, this would easily identify them; the people who work there already know you; this wastes time and money. Once I made a fake one with the roadrunners photo on it and wore it for a week and no one noticed. Fabrication of these is a no brainer and lends itself to greater ease of entry in that regard.

4. We have to waste time marking UBBM mail that is always beside our case...yet any idiot that walks by our case everyday knows it is our UBBM?

5. We have to put an orange card in the sorting case after our last pull of mail to show that we got it all...yet any idiot that walks by that case can see that we got it all without the card?

6. All of a sudden, after years of not recording mail volumes, which proves no one was really needing the figures, we have to record it again.....so no one can read it again?

7. My Postmaster recommended that I buy my own plastic trays if I needed more ....so I did, so I could leave a few in my car and would not have to carry them all in at one time ....only to be told that I could not leave them in my car because they were 'personal items'....in my personal car! Really stupid! I sold them and vowed never to buy or give anything for the benefit of the Post office again.

8. In my last paycheck I received a photo and statement saying I should turn in fraud when I see it. I am honest, but I will never turn in any working Postal Worker for anything as long as tax cheats like Charlie Rangle and Daschle, etc are not prosecuted.

9. Once my fellow carrier did 204b duty for the day and was bored to death claiming there was only 1.5 hours of work to be done. He quit and went back to carrying. With all of the scanning the peons have to do, why not make management scan in and out as they come and go? When they arrive to a meeting have a barcode waiting. GPS them. Let's just see who is really wasting PO time?

10. Just keep management away from me...they have never so much as opened a door for me....they have never asked my opinion about my job.....just put me on the back porch and I will do an honest days work for an honets days pay as I alway have.

I have a logical way that would save the Post Office millions every week that no one has ever mentioned ...to my knowledge, no one ever thought about.... but I'll never tell it unless I am personally asked! Look what you are missing by not respecting your people !!!

Big Ed,

What the heck are you rambling about?!?! The reason no one wants an evaluated system, is because (and you can the rural carriers about this) is that management evaluates the times. Thats why so many Rurals have taken such a huge financial hit. Agree to an evaluated time, and then management has a summer sale, wth????

You might note that the rurals have a union, and plenty of grievances, and get less pay (per hour) than City Letter Carriers. They went to arbitration and lost...

What we need (and what brother Stiffled wants) is Self-Managed routes.

Show me a supervisor who's day isnt done at 10:30 99 days out of 100. The rest of the time is spent surfing the net.

Why doesnt the OIG simply look at some of the computer records, and see how much supervisor time is spent shopping online and surfing the Drudge report and sites like this one.

Now that would be real savings!

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

the DOIS system automatically takes out a 1/2 hour lunch if a carrier works more than 6 hrs. Unfortunately in my office, the carriers do not take a lunch. this messes up the system. hence,the one click lunch. in some offices carriers are forced to take a lunch.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Tracy , iguess each district is not the same. we are not allowed to have anything personel on cases, but we did make PM remove pictures from his office

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Work a little harder?! I think I'm speaking for a lot when I say, "Routes should be adjusted to eight hours, not nine or ten like they're doing." All to save other peoples' jobs. Don't abuse us carriers' bodies and minds to save your butts.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

what is funny about this is that the plant I work in southern Calif just got a new district manager and ordered maintenance to put new time card holders all over the plant. they purchased small bulletin boards and mounted them on a frame at a cost of over $200.00 each. after a week the things are not even locked.

but get caught carrying around your time card and watch out!

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

I'm thinking it's because they don't want that "undertime" of 15 minutes showing to the higher-ups. They'll want to add an hour to your route / the office.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

When a carrier calls off we have to pivot routes.

When a supervisor is out, they make a carrier a 204-b and we have to pivot that route.

Why can't the PM who is in his office doing nothing most of the day, pick up the slack for the missing supervisor, so we can avoid overtime by having to pivot.

Stupid Rules:

1) Managers waste time picking through DPS every morning to pick out 1 missorted letter.

2) Offices are not trusted to cull their own outgoing mail for AVSEC compliance flats. The flats must be left in with letter mail. Extra work for A/O's and plant personel.

3) We just added 20+ minutes of F-4 a day to all 18 and above because we now have to scan every parcel as arrived. Delivery Confirmation tracks Delivery, it is not Express.

4) We just added a scan for mail distribution up-time. We should be stream lining oporations and trust our managers to manage. Not adding extra work for our clerks.

5) There are outrageous prices on e-buy items we are required to purchase on-line. We could save a lot of money if we could buy more locally. Don't give us so many choices on e-buy. A pen is a pen. Purchasing personel have to weed through 50 choices to find the best item for their money.

6) Stop putting thousands of dollars into LLV's that are falling apart. Fuse panels are not substitute water falls displays during a rain storm.

7) Put a stop to the practice of chasing mail halfway across the country. We pay milage for this ignorrant practice. Treat missorted mail as such and hold the plants accountable.

8) Cancel secondary HCR trips that contain 1 cage of mail. We could do this by consolidating cages at the plants.

9) Spend money to fix broken equipment. We pay more in the long run after an employee is injured by this equipment.

10) Dumb rule number 10 say s no LWOP without District appoval. LWOP saves money and improves morale.

I will leave you with those 10, there are many more

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Here are my 2 favorite silly rules.
    1. No coffee at our cases in the morning. You can have water, juice or tea - but NO coffee!

2. Bandaids have been removed from the first aid kits because employees have been using them.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Let us configure our cases as we see fit, give us as many sections we need to make casing quicker and more accurate. forcing us to go 5 shelves only makes us case with both hands one piece at a time. it also forces us to crush and bend flats that aren't meant to be bent.
    2 stops per cell just makes it more difficult on the street, used to be able to have the largest flat as the last piece at each stop, but now you have to dig behind that large flat to pick at the little cards that were cased in behind it because you have two delivery points in one cell.
    also the 3rd bundle system on walking routes makes no sense, the 20 minutes it takes me to case in a walk sequence mailing is a lot less time than it takes me to fumble in my satchel trying to pick out one thin flyer in the winter with gloves on or try to handle them on a windy day. office time pay is the same as street time pay, so whats the difference if we spend a little more time in the office to save some time on the street?

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

A silly rule is the blanket push not pull moving equipment. Pushing an OTR is dangerous, you can't really see clearly where you are going. The rule needs to be changed to push when practical and pull when it is the only way you can see clearly.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

If it costs the same to heat, cool or light the post office whether carriers are in or out, then why would you want to increase street time (mounted routes) and decrease office time? We burn more gas and increase the chance of accidents while sorting DPS, runs, etc. which could be done in the safety of the office. Later starting times translate into deliveries in the dark during winter. There is absolutely no common sense in management.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

CPMS LOGS/COLLECTION BOXES - CARRIERS SCAN, THEN THEY SIGN CPMS LOG THAT THEY ACTUALLY TURNED IN THE MAIL, THEN MGMT MANUALLY RECORDS THE TIME CARRIER SCANNED, THEN MGMT PRINTS REPORT CONFIRMING ALL; THEN MGMT HAS TO INPUT ON WEB PAGE THAT THEY PRINTED THE REPORT THAT VERIFIED THE SCANS THAT THEY PRINTED AND SIGNED THAT THE CARRIER SIGNED, THAT THEY ACTUALLY TURNED IN THE MAIL THAT THEY COLLECTED. AND THEN - MGMT REQ'D TO ROUND DATE AND SIGN EACH PAGE OF CPMS REPORT. WHY? ALOT OF REDUNDANCY - CAN FALSIFY ROUND DATE - SO WHY? PRINTOUT FROM COMPUTER ANNOTATES DATE AND ID OF MGMT PERSON PRINTING REPORT; WEB INPUT NOT NEEDED - ALREADY ON WEB FROM INITIAL CPMS REPORT;
    2ND - HAVE TO YELLOW HIGHLIGHT ARRIVE AT UNIT SCAN ON EACH BARCODE; THEN HAVE TO PINK HIGHLIGHT ATTEMPT; WHY? SCAN IS SUFFICIENT AND DOES THE JOB; THIS IS NOT KINDERGARTEN. MGMT CAN BE GIVEN DISCIPLINE FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE - EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT THE TASK THAT DOES THE JOB - JUST AN EXTRA ACCOUNTABILITY STEP THAT IS NOT NEEDED BUT THAT CAN BE USED AS DISCIPLINE IF NOT DONE. MGMT HAS ENOUGH WORK - WHY ARE WE CREATING MORE?

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

I'll tell you how I got around this silly rule. I had a picture of Dana Delaney which was deemed offensive. So I took the picture and pasted it on an envelope and mailed it to myself. I said to the offended supervisor, "there dammit, now it is mail." They let me keep it. :)

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

Stop giving excessive discounts for work that can be performed cheaper in-house. The USPS has single handedly created the pre-sort industry and it is time we stop giving potential revenue to other companies.

We give a 10 cent discount for work that postal employees can perform for 1 cent. Where is the sense in that?!

Who knows recapturing some of that volume would also eliminate the alleged "excess capacity" in some of our plants.

If we are going to try and be a business, then make the smart business decision capture additional work instead of giving it away.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

EXFC in NYC is done by giving an employee a fistful of $ for Subway and Bus Fare to visit every other office dropping a missent letter or 2. The $10 in postage collected doesn't nearly cover the expense.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

How come everytime District sends people down to tell us how much money we are losing, they always send at least 2 upper management types who make $100,000 plus a year?