• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Reaction to the current financial crisis has destroyed morale. Clerk hour budgets cut to the bone regardless of the amount of work to be done. Management violating our contract all over the place by bringing in clerks for only 2 hours, then sending them home and PM doing the rest of the clerk work, when that was not history of the office. Give years to the company, and they throw you to the dogs, we don't care of you can buy groceries, you are out the ddor, and the PM will do all the work, or violate your contract again and pay the RCA to do it so it doesn't show up as clerk hours. If it wasn'tr for needing the health insurance, many would be out the door. Customer service is lousy- Mail late to the PO Boxes, bulk Mail with in home dates received past the dates, and on and on. But all that matters is staying in the clerk hour budget set by the PM, becuase if not PMs threatened they will be replaced. Meanwhile expect clerks to work a fraction of the hours they used to, but must be always available. Very discouraging to see clerks take the early out, then the office cuts window hours so the clerks won't have to be replaced. They are burying the Post Office. How do they expect to bring in revenue, when the Post Office is only open a few hours a day? We need to bring people into the office, then utilize the high volume of traffic by selling them a product or service. Otherwise, why have a retail location at all? Just being open a few days is really ticking people off, and they will not go to the internet to buy Postal products or services, they will go to automatic bill pay, and other companies. Most of our customers are older folk who are not going to be driven to the internet.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Change the way city carriers are paid so that they are paid similar to the way rural carriers are paid. I'm sure an industrial psychologist would agree, city carriers have no incentive to work quickly. If they work hard and finish their route, they are given more territory to deliver or they must take AL because they finished early. In the city carrier craft, every day is a pay negotiation between the supervisor and the carrier. It's ridiculous. Rural carriers report to work, do their job and leave for the day. And rural carriers get paid the same thing every day. No need to negotiate OT or undertime with their supervisor. Paying city carriers evaluated compensation would require less supervisors. The Supervisor Workload Credit Worksheet already recognizes this because you are given less credit for rural carriers than for city carriers when calculating the number of supervisors needed in an office. You want to save the post office millions? Put city carriers on an evaluated pay system.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

After thirty three years of faithful service, I give up! My pay has gone done in each of the last two years,(over 6k per yr) I got to furnish a mail delivery vehicle during the $4 per gallon gas, if you could find it, with no additional compensation. The people who actually touch mail are treated like criminals now. Management needs to define the words "manage", "threat", "harass" "hostile work environment" their is a difference! The 1 per 5 ratio of management is a joke in the real world. The postal service uses any new technology like scanners as a vehicle to harass and threaten the employees who actually work! I just don't get it, the carriers leave the building in around three hours and managers are sitting in a now empty building playing on the internet, why don't they have to take 3 hr lunches like clerks? or just cut their pay to 1/2 a days pay? Yes it has gotten a lot worse in the last ten years, no direction, why should the employees who actually touch mail be treated like the enemy now?

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Switch to evaluated routes. The current system for route evals and workload is completely unfair, disincentivises hard work, and then requires a costly and harassment filled monitoring structure to maintain.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Rural carrier for 25+ yrs. Seen many changes, most in past few years are not for the good. Poor customer service. Too many management people trying to fudge figures to justify their own jobs. Too many PMs sitting around doing nothing - no accountability -just waiting to retire. It's become the "typical" govt job - once you're in, do whatever you can to just get by. Lots of worker bees, way too many mgmt!

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

WHY THE POST OFFICE ISN'T A GOOD PLACE TO WORK? WHERE DO I BEGIN?
    1. IT STARTS WITH RESPECT AND HONEST COMMUNICATION. FROM MANAGEMENT YOU GET NEITHER EXCEPT LIP SERVICE.
    2. WHY DOES A COMPANY GIVE BONUSES WHEN IT KEEPS LOOSING MONEY EVERY YEAR? IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR, THE ONLY COMPANIES THAT DO THIS GET BAILED OUT (I.E., AIG, GOLDMAN SACHS, CITI BANK, ECT.) HOW INSANE IS THIS?
    3. UNTIL YOU LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AND IMPLEMENT THEIR IDEAS, YOU WILL CONTINUE TO GET WHAT YOU HAVE. THE SAME OLD CRAP!!!! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE AND PUT DOWN YOUR " GOOD OLE BOY" KOOLAID. HIRE PEOPLE WHO ARE CAPABLE OF DOING A JOB NOT YOUR BUDDIES.
    4. I'M WITH THE GUY AT THE TOP OF THESE COMMENTS. I'VE BEEN INJURED ON THE JOB AND AM CURRENTLY UNDER THE MICROSCOPE LIKE IT WAS MY FAULT I HAVE CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME FROM MY JOB. BY THE WAY ,I TYPE WITH ONE FINGER. QUIT TRYING TO LUMP US ALL TOGTHER AND GO CASE BY CASE. YOU WILL FIND A BETTER WORK ENVIRONMENT. AND ALSO QUIT PUNISHING PEOPLE FOR BEING INJURED ON THE JOB LIKE GIVING THEM DISCIPLINE FOR IT. WE ARE JUST DOING OUR JOB AS WE ARE TRAINED TO DO SO WHY DOES IT ALWAYS COME BACK TO BEING ARE FAULT.
    5. I DON'T WANT TO GIVE YOU TOO MUCH TO WORK ON SO TAKE CARE OF THESE AND WE'LL TALK. IF YOU DON'T, WELL I GUESS WE NOW KNOW WHO AND WHAT YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU ARE ALL ABOUT. YOURSEVES JUST LIKE ALWAYS!!!

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

The postal service needs new blood we need new college grads to fix it.The college grads would have new and fresh ideas to save the postal service.It seems to be almost every comment i read the managers are blamed for the dimise of the postal service.When is someone going to listen to the comments and actually do something about it.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

1. Best thing I ever did- went to work for USPS.
    2. Next best thing I ever did- retire from USPS.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Stop counting everything - just get it worked and get it delivered to the people who are paying to have it delivered in as fast a fashion as possible with the least amount of trouble. We have so many pea counters and they count and recount the same piece of mail - rather than remembering why we have the pea in the first place. It's infuriating!

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Downsize management starting with the PMG and work down. That would save a fortune.

The P&DC where I'm at just throws away money every holiday. Mandating people for their holiday. Forbidding any 1st pass mail to be run on Sunday if the holiday falls on Monday. Therefore mandating us ( the same people working on Sunday ) to run it on our holiday. Then with that waste of money paying us to work and the grievance that will follow is a complete waste of money. For one, do they really think we are going to work hard on our holiday? No. So they don't gain anything by forcing us in on our holiday. Especially if we could have run that mail on Sunday, our normal scheduled day. I know this is not happening throughout the country. Is this just in my office, in Springfield, MO????? It's time to rid ourselves of this so called management. I have to say, it's a good thing they don't balance MY checkbook. I'd be broke!

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

TO DMF. IT SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO YOUR ATTENTION THAT NOT ALL PEOPLE ON LIGHT DUTY ARE FAKING. I SHATTERED MY LEG ON THE JOB AND I AM ABOUT TO GO THROUGH A 3RD SURGERY. I WAS HURT ON THE JOB, SO DOES THAT MEAN I SHOULD BE THROWN TO THE CURB BECAUSE I WAS INJURED WHILE DOING MY JOB. SOME PEOPLE SHOULD BE DEALT WITH BUT DON'T PUT ALL OF US IN THE SAME BUCKET. MAYBE YOU NEED TO HAVE A SERIOUS INJURY TO SEE HOW BIG A PARTY THIS IS.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Management should have the right for on the spot firing. This would make a better and more productive work force than we have today.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

I have worked for the Postal Service for over 30 years. I am a self motivated employee. I do not need to be monitored every moment of my day. Scanning barcodes in patrons mailboxes and facing discipline if we miss one is absolutely ridiculous. It is not for customer services as we have been told. What a lie! It is solely as a tracking of employees. It has nothing to do with the delivery of the mail!
    There is so much tracking of craft and management alike that we spend time and money that could be devoted to moving the mail.
    Managers have more reports to download, print or email that there is no time to manage the office.
    Craft employees are afraid for their jobs everyday because there are so many gotcha programs that can get you fired if you make an honest mistake or forget to scan an MSP in someones mailbox.
    We are made to feel if we are not perfect we will be disciplined! I can hardly wait to retire and get away from this dysfunctional idiocy that the Postal Service has become.
    I have been proud to do my best every day and serve my customers but it seems that the USPS has lost track of the fact that all we have to sell is SERVICE to our customers.
    Beating up the people who serve the United States Postal Service is counterproductive. Years of faithful service and extra effort are all wiped out if you forget to scan something.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

Our biggest problem starts at the top and works down. We no longer have a pyramid approach to management. Supervisors are no longer in charge of their employees, Postmasters are no longer in charge of their office, Mpoo's are no longer in charge of their Postmasters. We have a square management model. The DM thru Op Support and a myraid of useless reports manage everyone. The MPOO's have to anwser for every employee and issue in every office. If I as postmaster need overtime to cover the office for one day, the Mpoo must approve and justify to ops!! This is just plain nuts. Do away with all the areas half the districts and let us manage our units!

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 7 months ago

I don't go to the post office often, but whenever I do I see several people standing in line while I walk right up to the APC. I get a lot of looks that seem to say, "I wish I'd done that, but I'm too stubborn to admit I made a mistake by getting out of line and going over there now."

Two questions: 1) Instead of complaining about the lines, why not use the APC? 2) Why aren't post offices doing more to encourage their customer to use the APC? A customer who has been standing in line for a long time is usually not a happy one, and who wants to deal with unhappy customers?

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

This company has definitely be come more difficult to work for. We have no trainning opportunities and we have no succession program. This total hiring freeze is definitely hurting our more technical departments like, plant maintenance, vehicle maintenance, and IT. Communications is none existent and by communications I mean were there is an opportunity for discussion on how to solve problems, that is two-way communications, issuing mandates from a high is not communication, that is management by decree, just like England tried with the colonies be fore we through them out. It is time for a major shakeup At HQ. The PMG needs to resign/retire all the VP and area managers needed to tender there resignations. The President needs to appoint a new PMG who understands the value the employees bring to the organization and he/she has to quantify the value of our customers (Each mail box, on every street in this country), and then charge an appropriate amount for access to them. The Postal Service needs to stop subsidizing corporate america’s mail room operations.

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

STOP the favoritism! What ever the rules are enforce them as equally as possible. And do something about the light duty people that never do anything and the supervisors are too lazy to check their restrictions. Light duty should not be a career long condition. It destroys morale of those doing the work!!

• Reply to: For Better or For Worse   5 years 7 months ago

The working environment needs to be retooled from the top (Headquarters) to the employees. There is plenty of blame to go around.

1. Abusive Management (Not All)
    2. Lazy Employees (Not All)

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   5 years 7 months ago

What is the point of not making the Change Of Address form (PS 3575) available on the USPS website?! We want to print one out and give it to our father who's moving to a nursing home. Your present system forces us to go to the post office to get the form, bring it back to our father's house and fill it out, then go back to the post office with it. That's CLUNKY! Please post a PDF on your website with all the other forms. Thank you!

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 7 months ago

when will tfp be use to measure the actual worth of supervisors in mail processing and in the AOs.

it would result in very interesting results that might force the PFP program to be disbanded.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 7 months ago

Had to go in to the PO to pick up a package after I received a delivery "notice" marked final notice stating that I had to sign for the package. Here's the thing, I was in my living room and watched the mail carrier drive by the day I received the notice. Apparently, the first notice was delivered to another address, haven't we always heard our mail should not be given or taken by anyone other than the addressee or it's a federal offense? so why is it ok for the mail carrier to give it to the neighbor??? ESPECIALLY since it is only an envelope?? I no longer pay anything via USPS since I NEVER KNOW if it will get there, especially since there are many times I DON'T EVEN GET THE BILL TO PAY IT!!! I have found almost all aspects of the USPS to be substandard. Mail is mis-delivered, long lines, constantly increasing prices, it's no wonder so many use other means of package, or mail delivery, as well as bill paying. AND WHAT HAPPENED TO "...RAIN, NOR SLEET, NOR SNOW, NOR ICE..." If there is a snow here, we might not see mail for two or three days.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 7 months ago

Ah yes, the census mailing. We can sure use the added volume. Anybody taking bets yet as to whether we will have another stupid log to fill out to record and count the pieces of this mailing?

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 7 months ago

Congratulations everyone. We are about to handle the biggest mailing in history. The Census 2010. We will handle this like everything else. All counted. Get it done.

• Reply to: Top 10 Postal Stories of 2009   5 years 7 months ago

The top 11th postal story is my box that got smashed in the mail, delivered with another person's belongings in it and no concern on their end about not just getting my stuff back to me but, getting the other guy's stuff back to him! I was told that if the lost items were of any value like someone's afghan that their grandma knitted them, then maybe it could be found! OMG! That woman in the mail recovery center actually said that to me! That box was one of the five boxes that contained everything that I own!! I lost everything because of this economy -- I shipped these to my mom's since I was moving out of state to go back and had to live with her. Who are they to decide what is important (afghan) or not? Sorry, folks, just had to say that!

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 7 months ago

Very encouraging to see video. "Enterprise Architecture". Finaly creeping out of the dinosaur age.