• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

Get rid of the Union.

there is a lot of people who are willing to work for less. I would even take a job at the USPS as a second job for minimum wage.

UNIONS Are running up the price of operation.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

Congress needs to gets a clue and understand what is the new critical service: internet. That means high speed internet access for everyone. Yes people will have to pay for it, in order to get it, just like mail service. And subsidies would be needed for rural service.

Perhaps the constitution would also need to be changed.

It is very clear there would be a much, much bigger problem with an internet outage today, than mail service.

Therefore, a 10 year transition plan is needed, where conventional mail and internet are both considered critical, perhaps with a staggered 4 day conventional mail weekly delivery schedule initially, reducing down to a 2 day weekly schedule.

After the transition period, conventional mail goes entirely private. An option to maintain package delivery and its subsidies might make sense long term. But not the USPS's monopoly over letter delivery.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

Like Marc Armijo says about the fleet. I have never seen a postal vehicle where the driver made any attempts to save fuel. Gassing, braking, gassing, ect... I am employed by a major regional transportation company. Fuel costs are through the roof. Through training of operators and providing incentives for fuel savings we have saved "millions" in fuel costs. Most if not all mail personnel who use official vehicles seem to operate them as if they were their own personal vehicle...

• Reply to: Prepaid Debit Cards Services   4 years 11 months ago

1. cutting saturday delivery (but absolutely NOT cutting saturday mail movement) would be fine-except in circumstances (like fed-ex or UPS) where customers would want to pay a premium for something that they must have on saturday. Most of the time there is nothing that really can't wait till monday.
    2. You absolutely MUST make more postal services and products available to the public in more non-post office places. You must also streamline the choices you have to mail letters and packages- there are too many choices and can be too confusing and this leads to way to long lines at the post office.
    3. You need to be like GM - the post office will always be needed. Letters and official business from government agencies will always have to be delivered - even twenty years from now there will be that faction of the population who will not join the digital lifestyle or can't, for whatever reason. Just take a look at check cashing places offering money orders - how ancient, yet they are all proliferating in this modern digital world. so maybe a downsize, like GM is definately in the picture.
    4. you need to stop making promises like overnight mail that can't be delivered overnight or priority mail that takes just as long to get to a destination as 1st class mail. Again - too many choices and a feeling of getting "ripped off" by the postal service.
    5. Also the postal service is the postal service and most people understand this. Given that fact, is it really neccessary to advertise on TV???

• Reply to: Is It Time to Re-evaluate the Retail Network?   4 years 11 months ago

The USPS needs to come up with a two-tier postage stamp system. It only makes sense that a letter mailed within your state should be cheaper to process than one mailed outside your state. If you keep the current price of the Forever Stamp, and merely add an Outside-of State stamp for a dime more, revenue would greatly improve.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

Isn't anyone else outraged that the USPS has a program that they will buy your house if you move? There was a story last year on the news that the USPS bought a 1 million dollar house from the employee. What they sold it for I have no idea. Why are they buying houses if the employee is promoted and needs to move? Also stop pyaing moving expenses. Again there was a story where an employee moved 15 miles and the USPS paid about $15K for the move.

STOP giving out receipts to customers unless they ask for one. This could save on the amount of receipt rolls the USPS would have to buy. Just program the system so the clerk can just press a button "No Receipt" and a receipt would not print out.

Recycle - and sell the paper/plastic bottles, etc. Our town has a recycling center where you bring your plastic bottles, glass, newspaper, etc. They sell it and make money.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need to Re-examine Its Delivery Service Standards?   4 years 11 months ago

My advice: There is no way the U. S. Postal Service is ever going to make a profit. Reason: poor management. The U.S. Postal Service should be put to bed totally never to be awakened again. The U.S. Postal service should be divided between UPS and FedEx. U.S. Postal Service employees could have lateral transfers to UPS and FedEx dependent on their qualifications. I know this must sound unreasonable but keeping the U.S. Postal Service on board is equally unreasonable.

The postal office needs to figure out that customer have more options now. We are no long living in the pony mail days. This means take a note fom the comp ( i.e FedEx, UPS ) have reliable service on holidays, take responsiblity for damages done during transit, improve customer service and for the love get a better tracking system. USPS became complacent and now need to step up to the plate. I think USPS should look at every aspect from the website to the store. Make your system customer friendly.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

Postal employees do not pay for my retirement. Why should i pay for theirs or any other government employees for that matter ? If the post office were a private business, then that matter would be their own business. Many government employees get veterans day off with pay. Why not give that to the veterans only? Now is the time to get very serious and start thinking of our fellow american citizens and start saving money. Once again the unions are bringing america to its knees financially.

I live in the Las Vegas Nevada area. It does not matter which one of the Post Offices I try to go to in this area. Customer Service is Classic Typical to any government office which services the public. I am a disabled veteran who does not use any devices (like wheel chair etc.), so even though I have a placard I still have to stand and wait like everyone else. So a trip to the USPS office for me means a lot of pain. Then I have to go home and take pain medication and my day is shot, because I can not drive. There is No and I mean NO customer service. They act like they are the only place for mail or package services. I have never waited longer than 20 minutes at the Fed-ex, or UPS.

Plus give me the service that I pay for. For example:
    If I pay for signature confirmation, I want the recipient to sign for delivery. I can not count how many times I have been ripped off by the USPS.

My home delivery is done by the 89031 branch and is first rate. My postman always arrives at the same time everyday. All mail is always picked up. He always waves or smiles.

Bottom Line
    Extremely poor customer service and very slow service times is forcing me to use other options for mail and package services.

For those of us who work 9-5, we need our local post office to be open on Saturdays to receive our certified mail & packages, in Brooklyn, N.Y. We cannot get them any other time because we work for a living unlike the rest of your writers who would like to close the local post offices. We have high theft of mail in NYC therefore, we must have the mail delivered to our individual boxes at home. We work and every $ counts. I cannot afford the $ for a postal box inside the post office.I cannot get to the post office to pick up mail. I WORK! On Saturday the lines in my local post office are out the door and last 2 or more hours.
    Whatever happened to belief in the motto on the Main Post Office in Manhattan: "Neither rain, nor storm, nor sleeet, etc. shall stay the postman from his rounds"? My cousin was a mailman when it was a Federal job, an honorable one!Lower Congress's pay, fat pensions, 100% social security, expensive health plans, etc. and make the Post Office Federal again. I need my Sat. delivery. Get rid of junk mail or charge them a higher rate. If the Fed. Govt. wasn't so inefficient, the Post Office could be Federal again.
    O.K. if you must raise the first class stamp again, we will have to pay it to keep the post office open.
    The Post Office is a symbol of America. I refuse to pay on-line and get "hacked". I need to mail my check payments. Keep the Post Offices open and the local retail post offices too, in Brooklyn, NY.

Although the US Postal Service is going through the same troubles as other industries, I think that they played a big part in the issues that they currently face. The US Postal Service has the worst customer service I have ever experience. The works are rude, unhelpful, and you never feel like they have a sense of urgency. They can cut service to help save money which would probably have to happen eventually anyway. With banks pushing their customers to use online bill pay to protect them and make it more convienent to pay bills the USPS will have to be innovative to gain customers back. The times that people have to use the USPS (holidays and tax season) should be the most inviting experience within the post office. But, it is exactly the opposite the reps are rude, slow and unfriendly. I know that most people are standing in line thinking about how they can avoid this next time!

A few things;
    Why have all the vending machine disappeared from Springfield, MA area? You want to survive? Make it easier to obtain postage.
    I probably get "real" mail a couple a times a week - hence I soooo won't miss Saturday delivery.
    Thin the top end - waaaay too many chiefs!
    GPS monitoring of postal vehicles and route consolidation. I see trucks hanging out for hours at a time. Not very efficient.
    You want to be competitive and provide a worthwhile service? Start acting and competing at at private level. If you don't you will be made obsolete.
    The Postal Service is it's own worst enemy.
    Each time rates rise, value is being lost and so goes volume which is required for the USPS to sustain itself.

The Post Office is a symnbol of America. I refuse to pay on-line and get "hacked". I need to mail my check payments. Keep the Post Offices open and the local retail post offices too, in Brooklyn, NY.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

You should investigate why the Postal Service spent thosand- millions of dollars on a GPS System in their MSP scanners which they will not use. Why did the Postal Service spend millions-billiob dollars on a FSS sorting machines which will not fit inside ANY Post office in the state of Connecticut. Sadly this was done at a time of declining mail flat volume. Sadly the GPS system in the LLV'S are disrupted by magnets and power lines. Why does the Postal Service have one supervisor per 6-9 workers when Fedex and UPS have one supervisor per 25-125 workers. Lastly WHY! was the Postal Service Overcharged 75 BILLION dollars for its pensions and healthcare. They (USPS) would turn a profit if this overcharge-looting of the PO would be returned to the USPS, Sincerely Ed Mulrenan waterbury Ct. 06704

• Reply to: Prepaid Debit Cards Services   4 years 11 months ago

HIGHER UP NEED A FREEZE ON THEY PAY RAISE AND BONUS THEY GET WHEN THEY MAKE WORKER PAY GO DOWN. HOW MANY SUPERVISOR A OFFICE NEED. WE USE HAVE 3 NOW WE HAVE 5 SUPERVISOR BUT A SMALL FORCE IN OFFICE. BUT WORKER ARE DOWNSIDE AND PAID LESSER EACH YEAR. SATURDAY WE WANT TO KEEP. THE BOSS WANT NO SATURDAY SO THEY CAN HAVE A RAISE AND BONUS. WE LOSE MORE PAID THAT MOST WORKER NOW HAVE GET A OTHER JOB. THAT COULD BE EMPLOY A OTHER PERSON OUT OF WORK. CHANGE THE HIGHER UP IN POSTAL SERVICE. THAT WHAT NEED TO BE DONE.

• Reply to: Prepaid Debit Cards Services   4 years 11 months ago

The USPS should advertise the use of mail versus using the internet; focusing and providing statistical information on the incident rate of mail fraud and/or identify theft via the Postal Service or the Internet. The desire to use the internet in lieu of a 44 cent stamp to pay bills, has resulted in more personal and monetary loss than the cost of years worth of stamps. I personally use the mailing system and to-date have not had a single incident of identity theft. However, I have family and friends that cannot make this claim. In case some would 'pay' the security agencies that promise protection via the internet, compare the cost of the proposed security versus what you actually spent on postage. This should be the intent of the USPS advertisement.

Try increasing the bulk mail delivery rate, more specifically the junk mail rate.

Junk mail is defined as mail that is thrown away by >99% of people.

Maybe the price increase will reduce the number of credit card applications my household receives on a daily/weekly basis.

• Reply to: Prepaid Debit Cards Services   4 years 11 months ago

Only half of my town has delivered mail the other half has to go to post office daily. One side of the street gets delived mail, the other doesn't.
    Imagine the savings if EVERYONE had to pick up? Not just the unfortunate few.
    How about charging the same postage rate to everyone? Can you imagine if every piece of junk mail came with a stamp affixed? How much revenue that would bring in? No more bulk rate for junk mail!BILLIONS

The biggest problem to the post office is the labor intensive delivery in some of the older neighbors where the carrier walks the route. You should put multi-boxes and eliminate the carrier walking the route. That would eliminate thousands of jobs and long term savings.

Another area of weakness for you is the tracking of packages. Without it is difficult for you to compete with Fed Ex Ground and UPS.

I like getting mail on Saturday but could certainly live without it. The requests from charities and the bills will wait until Monday. If need be, raise the rates for non-profits; why do they get preference?

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

To whom it may concern:

Why don't we start running the post office more like a business here...What is America good at spending their dollars on??...
    The USPS has one of the largest if not the largest fleets of vehicles out there. Why don't they sell advertisement space on their trucks, but only from American based companies. How much money has the top fast food restaurants, the top banks, the top anything spend on advertising and marketing. The Post Office could make $$Billions$$ here if they just made their trucks look like those of NASCAR. The companies would fight for all that advertising space on those noticeable post office jeeps.
    Has anyone thought of this marketing idea or am I the only one?....Any thoughts????

Marc Armijo

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

One way to fix the budget is to streamline the delivery, I live in a city near New Orleans, if I mail a letter across the street it must be trucked to New Orleans 45 miles away and then trucked back to be delivered.... hello.... you charge 44 cents I dare say that the fuel cost even when split over all the mail that is done this way daily, you are losing money.... I dont mean to be sarcastic but that is not a very well thought out process.... fix that across the country......and that would certainly help.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

I have an idea that I think would help the USPS. When a condo complex that runs under an association needs money for something out of the ordinary, they have a "special assessment". This helps raise money to do a project or repair. The association assesses each homeowner in the complex a certain amount of money needed for the repairs. After they raise the needed money, the association removes the "special assessment". We can do the same in California. My idea is to have a "special assessment" for all homeowners, renters, and business owners that use the United States Parcel Service. If you charge each home a $2 per month fee and each business $5 per month fee, you could raise the needed funds to help balance the budget. For example, there are 7 million single family residences and 3.3 million businesses in California. I couldn't find any data on how many families rent, but I'll bet it's around 4 million. Here's the math:

7 million homeowners x $2 per month = $14,000,000 per month
    4 million families that rent x $2 per month = $8,000,000 per month
    3.3 million small business x $5 per month = $16,500,000 per month
    The total would be $385,000,000 per month, or $4,620,000,000 per year

I think that this is a viable solution to our budget dilemma. I am a native Californian, and I would pay the "special assessment" for however long it takes to help our beautiful state and country.

These amounts are just for California. Imagine how much money it would be if all the states did this.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   4 years 11 months ago

I would suggest these few things. Let all Civil Service Employees retire early with no penalty. I think it would be best to leave Saturdays alone. I also think that eliminating some of the 350 vice presidents that you currently have will save in costs as well.