• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

There need to be an audit done of the "Blue Box Flat" process that has been implemented in the Philly Metro District, and to hold the district accountable for their waste.

Currently, we have to pull out the all of the stamped flats in our blue collection boxes and put them in a seperate tub for manual sortation. In addition to this, we have to make 4 SEPERATE REPORTS logging how many of these flats we dispatched everyday. (Isn't this in NON-COMPLIANCE with Pat Donahoe's MANDATE to reduce redundant logs?).

To compound the waste in this process, there are people dropping test pieces into our blue boxes just to make sure we are following this asinine process. With many offices being up to 50 miles from the district office, imagine how much is being spent on mileage just to drop off a couple of flats that should be automated in the first place?

The amount number of hours and money spent just for a negligible increase in the EXFC score-if there is any change at all. It is a perfect example of "spending a dollar to save a dime".

Your organization really needs to take a look into this, and to make the district change this process. There are thousands of dollars being wasted at a time that the PS can ill afford it.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

When visiting offices, why do postmasters always show up on exit interviews with branch supervisor or manager? because they tell us to hush, do not tell them alot, basically we do have internal problems but we can not talk about it. Are you really serious, then visit facilities and ask for volunteers, ask questions to clerks, carriers, supervisors, and managers, then you will realize what kind of environment we really work in.

• Reply to: Pay for Performance   4 years 10 months ago

Goals, goals and goals!! Nothing wrong with goals but when employees in administrative offices whether district or Area is looking to make goals to get pay raise, they do not provide sources to the management in the field. I see it first hand especially the ones who were hired after I was and making more money at the same level. These people could not supervise or manage the post offices they were in but these people send threatening emails CC boses just so that they can make their goals and get pay raise. When us supervisors and managers in the field meet on our end of year, we are told that we did not make goals, well we do not control sources. What if postmaster gives you goal of 1700 carriers off the street but refuse to hire carriers needed. What if boss gives you the goal to reduce workhours on the retail or F4, ofcourse I would care less about the service, in turn less revenue. These kind of goals got nothing but management fired for falsifying in the past. Anyway, I do not know if there is a better system. I suggest OIG to listen to some of the telecons, and you will be surprised to how we get treated no better than slumdog.

• Reply to: Preventing Workers’ Compensation Fraud   4 years 10 months ago

They say that Workers' Compensation Fraud, either at the State or Federal level is a "victimless crime". Nothing could be further from the truth. We all pay for this criminal activity one way or another. Full support should be given to all investigators and prosecutors working these cases. High cost of insurance for many employers is the last straw during these difficult times. Report the violators to the proper authorties.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

I would be happy to give the OIG any help they need. I am a disabled retired PO employee who also worked as a Finance Supervisor in NJ. I transfered to the USVI in 2002. The things I saw in that office just amazed me. I haven't ever seen that type of Mgt., no regard for Postal SOP, the Vault hadn't been counted in over 10 years. I wrote many letters to Headquaters, and NY Metro and New Jersey whish is where we were run from. The treatment of employees and complete diregard for equal treatment in allowing Favorites to do nothing. I could go on and on but I have copies of everything I have written and Daily journals to document this along with a Lawsuit.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

How about you audit all the incredible waste we are forced to participate in just to meet some arbitrary standard? Double back to deliver letters on OT that the customer either doesn't care about or even know is in the box because they already checked their mail that day? Take ALL the mail that day, even if we have to do it on OT, so we are delivering 3rd class mail on OT? All just to make some supervisors numbers look good?

• Reply to: Making “Sorry We Missed You” a Thing of the Past   4 years 10 months ago

If I read this right, the article did say the customer could/should be charged a fee either per pkg or monthly, like a PO Box and if the pkg is from another vendor, the USPS could/would charge them...? I like the idea of adding other services to accommodate, but 1) How will this fit into the USPS 5 day delivery model? 2) Can the USPS actually do this systematically?...making sure they send an email to the customer in a timely manner or the whole scenario is moot. Now, I have received shipment using UPS, not often, since I am a USPS employee. However, 50 % of the time these guys leave the pkg on my front porch, they did not knock, they only get my signature on their etch-a-sketch if they catch me outside, other than that its left and this 50%, IT IS NOT EVEN MY PKG! I am being totally honest. I will run after them before they get in their truck and tell them, its for the next street over....like always! I would have hated for my pkg to be left on someone else's porch. I may never get it. Oh, I can see them scanning their IMD, most likely as "delivered" yes, but to who? So I quite support the idea of a secure location while "not at home"

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

The retirees of July 31, 2009 experienced the Postal Sting of 2009! The PMG testified under oath in Congress that there would be No incentives for retirees, 25 days after 7/31 an incentive of $15K was offered to a select few! The Union agreed but stated negotiations began in June, and took union dues from us in June & July and then cut us out of the incentive! Over 2500 retirees were at loss believing the statements of the PMG, broke, no incentives! The betrayal and loss stung hard! Our service time was not rewarded! Isnt there an ethics code for this?

• Reply to: 5-Day Delivery? What About 3-Day?   4 years 10 months ago

3 days 5 days you all are nuts that write articles like this it only hurts the service you write about. It would be the best service if people like you quit putting out this kind of crap. Get rid of the law that creates a slush fund for the government and rid of the people that sit around dreaming up ways to cut customer service to make us look bad. Keep only the hard working people who sell postage, sort mail, and deliver mail the ones who really provide the customer service!!! Day to day 6 day mail delivery is the best service offered in this country by the USPS!!!

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

BMEs nationwide have little to no knowledge of parcel barcoding (GS1-128 symbology). Thus they grant barcoded rate for millions of psvc & standard parcels that bear incorrect symbology, or barcoding not meeting USPS standards. Not only are the mailers benefitting by paying lower "barcoded" rates, the USPS is absorbing add'l costs for processing pcs with barcodes that do not meet minimum standards, thus unusable for automated sortation. If parcels are one of our greatest sources of revenue, there should be more focus on actual eligibility for barcoded rates paid by parcel mailers.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

As a regular person with no background of working for the USPS, I believe that there are several things that the postal service could do to better compete with other shipping companies like UPS and Fedex. The lower prices offered by USPS are clearly not sufficient to get the majority of package delivery business.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

As a veteran of over 38 years as a USPS employee I could give you some site specific places to audit.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

Apparently Guy does not know how Al Capone and Bruno Hauptmann were put away (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_J._Wilson) or what value Federal Auditors serve (www.GAO.gov). From their website, it’s pretty clear that all employees are not investigators and do entirely different work.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

If need I would not mind participating in audits that have to do with Vehicle Maintenance Facilities..after 31 years with the Post Office, 27 years with the VMF, I believe that I can help in that area.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants Your Help on Audits!   4 years 10 months ago

Get back on track Federal Agents and go find the egocentric Mafia Don's within our organization instead of chasing fodder. The OIG, in it's current state of inability to procede with it's primary mission: Preventing Fraud, Waste, Crime, and Abuse. How many $$$ would we save by shaving off this ineffective branch of the Postal Service? Audits? Are you kidding me? You are sworn badge holding, gun and cuff carrying Federal Agents.. and you are told to do AUDITS??? Now you want us to blindly follow that diversionary tactic too? Shameful.

• Reply to: Congress Faces a Decision   4 years 10 months ago

Saturday delivery is absurd. There is a weak case for 5 days. We know the USPS will be obsolete in 15-20 years unless they transition to an internet model.

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   4 years 10 months ago

What do you think all of the ole' blue boxes have morphed into???? You know, the one's where the paying customer did 25% of the work that the post office
    has to do when they don't drop mail in a box.

A. High Speed rail track

B. River barges?

C. Electric Car Charging Stations (Just the Protective Steel Bollards adjacent to them)

D. Ship Anchors

E. Counterweight for a draw bridge.

I simply find it hysterical that someone brings a single first class letter into the window so they'll
    assure themselves the letter is on it's way!!!!
    Talk about confidence in a delivery system!!!!!

• Reply to: Too Costly to Keep On Truckin?   4 years 10 months ago

Quote from Big Monster Trucks;
    "How about contracting out the repairs has this option been explored?"

Explored is putting it mildly!
    We have been using contractors extensively because with a reduced starting salary, we could not hire mechs for many years. In the time it would take to find 2 new mechs, you would lose 5. Often they were NOT retiring, but going to better jobs. Any time the job market changed, and mechs were looking to work for us, we'd have a "hiring freeze".
    As for the contractors, many are good, many are so-so, and some defy explanation. Even the best contractors are reluctant to do work that doesn't pay well. So it falls back on the VMF. If you don't have a VMF to check, it probably won't get done. So something minor like a hard to reach coolant hose causes an engine failure. Contractor now replaces the hose, when he replaces the engine.
    Are we saving money yet?

• Reply to: Are There Other Viable Alternatives for 6-Day Delivery Operations?   4 years 10 months ago

The question of can we handle a 5 day delivery schedule keeps coming up year after year. The obvious day to cut is Saturday. Businesses complain that they need Saturday delivery for marketing materials and such. I can see that. Why not cut a random day throughout the week, like a Wednesday. Thats my vote. Except at the holiday season. Just to handle volume I'm sure they would have to do a full 6 day schedule.

• Reply to: What Does Apple’s New iPad Mean for the Postal Service?   4 years 10 months ago

“You will pay my price and you will do it my way, or else.”

• Reply to: Disappearing Collection Boxes   4 years 10 months ago

Whee! I'm not at home right now (I'm at uni), and I just tried to mail a letter, which apparently is SEVERELY frowned upon by the USPS, except of course either from home or from a post office (I'm on foot and the closest post office is a mile away). I foolishly thought "well, I have to go to the public library, and they'll have one out front." Nope. Silly me...

• Reply to: Too Costly to Keep On Truckin?   4 years 10 months ago

I believe the this Service should explore ways to reduce maintenance costs on aging LLV’s. How about contracting out the repairs has this option been explored?

• Reply to: What Next for the Postal Service in 2011?   4 years 10 months ago

When is that no Saturday delivery going into effect. USPS could just extend it to no postal service on Saturday for all postal workers.

• Reply to: What Next for the Postal Service in 2011?   4 years 10 months ago

The Post Office is THE most inefficient organization ever. They feel they have a monoploy on "mail" therefore customer service is non-existant. I just paid $35 to send a small package "guaranteed" delivery by the next day; the package was sent to the correct post office, where it sat on a shelf instead of being delivered to the correct addressee. Now, I have to FIGHT to get my refund. I WISH FedEx would start a regular mail delivery system. I will NEVER use USPS for anything besides snail mail.

• Reply to: What Next for the Postal Service in 2011?   4 years 10 months ago

Trim the fat and Pork get rid of over the top managers that don't care about the mail and stop footing the bill for Senior Managers health bills..Fix the problem of far too many EEO/Labor Relations complaints...This is too costly when many cases are awarded through the administrative procedure process...Start aking like the United States Postal Service is a business and not managments privately owned business...