• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   1 year 9 months ago

Another attempt to simplify has become another bane to the average user of the Postal Service. Having two unique options to send your mail combined into one package!!!!! On one hand we have the very popular Priority mail option and then we have the Express mail option, both unique in their own ways. Now we go and combine the two names together on packaging that will further confuse the customer when they come to mail their products. If this is not another way to keep our customers away from using the Post Office, I don't know what is. This idea goes hand in hand with the idea of doing away with the blue and orange Express bags and using regular tyvek bags and slapping an express label on it. If we want to bring our delivery numbers up we have to keep a way of differentiating our services so they can be shipped correctly, not by combining names of our popular mailing options so as to confuse our wonderful customers into using the wrong mailing boxes! Here sir, Try one of these Priority Mail Express Standard Media Mail 2-Day boxes.....is this the next big idea????????

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 year 9 months ago

Could it be that in the areas where people would be most likely to need passport services from the Postal Service that hours and access have been cut?
    It might also be that the increasing presence of untrained non-career personnel at offices reduces the confidence people might have in these sorts of services. Post offices are increasingly short staffed and postmasters are increasingly bogged down with mandates such that in many places any service that requires a bit of effort or time becomes a bother.

By the way, OIG Williams was quite impressive in his appearance before the Senate last Thursday.

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 year 9 months ago

I greatly suspect that at least a major factor for the decline in pass port revenue it due to most American's, as I have, are fearful of foreign travel because of the threat of terrorism.

Hey moderator, thank you for the "full disclosure". It does reassure me that you're paying attention and taking us seriously. And thanks for fixing it.

Now about that "branding" :)

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 year 9 months ago

Honestly the post office just like other big corporations and companies .Always attempt to do this under the guise of helping but you do it half way . What you should do is really dedicate yourselves to doing it .hire part time people to operate kiosk style booths in the post office that speak the languages of the community they serve and allow those kiosk to be totally dedicated to passports only you can have 2 four hour shifts this way it is cost effective for your company . Also you can run commercials on you tube offering the services along with videos explaining what you need to expedite the process thus making the lines move quicker . It will work and increase revenue if your offices dedicate themselves to really doing it .

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 year 9 months ago

I think this isone of the services the USPS does well. We needed to get passports for our kids, which you can't do by mail, so we made an appointment and were seen right at our appointment time. The clerk was well-versed in the process and even helped us fix our applications, which we'd filled out wrong in one spot. One downside was that the PO didn't have a camera for pictures, and the people in front of us had to leave to get a picture and come back. But this seems like the ideal way to structure things: make an appointment by phone or online; meet with a clerk who is an expert on the process; then wait for your material to arrive at home. (We actually got the passports sooner than expected.)

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 year 9 months ago

Correct me if I am wrong but, isn't part of the slow down due to the huge influx of applicants, that occured a few years ago, as a result of people desiring to beat the rate increase?

• Reply to: A Happy Customer is a Loyal Customer   1 year 9 months ago

Whenever the media mention the mass layoffs affecting the USPS I feel bad for them until I go to the post office to mail a package, then that feeling changes. I live in Massachusetts and I have yet to encounter a clerk that is polite. They're cold, do not smile or say anything and frankly that's the same service I can get from an automated machine. It may not be warm and fuzzy but it isn't as aggravating. Next time I mail a package, I will go to UPS.

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 year 9 months ago

It is very difficult and inconvenient to use the USPS to renew/get new passports. The hours are very restrictive and the cameras are often inoperable. Past experience has taught all of us to go someplace else.

• Reply to: Great Expectations of Online Shopping   1 year 9 months ago

I love online shopping because it is extremely convenient and it allows you to buy things from brands with no actual store around you. But unless I can go to a store and easily change what I got online, I only buy cheap things or things I know I won't be returning.

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   1 year 9 months ago

Yes...i too lost a very aluable item..or actually..the USPS lost it..or an employee stole it. It was my wedding band..all diamonds..2 1/2 carats...i insured it for what we pd ..which was $1200. I couldve insured for what it was worth..but i was not out to gain from the usps. Well..i. Got my pkg back..envelope opened..with a stamp saying"damaged"! When i sent in a claim..with all documents and reciepts and even pictures...they only gave me $400.00 and thats after a year of calling, getting hung up on, and sending multiple letters. Why do they even ask us how much we want to insure for..if they have NO intention of fullfilling their end? The USPS is a lying, cheating ripoff! Im using ups and fed ex for my packages now.

• Reply to: Great Expectations of Online Shopping   1 year 9 months ago

Once the USPS decides it wants to actually deliver packages, letters, and everything else it's supposed to, I'd gladly stop pestering Amazon about never using USPS to deliver to my residence in Seattle. However, with e level of abuse, mis-deliveries, non-deliveries, and other nonsense, not only can I not trust the USPS for online ordering, I actively engage with online retailers and will not do business with them if an alternative can not be used at my own expense. You guys need to start looking REALLY hard at why "It's not the problem of the USPS for mis-delivered, non-delivered, mishandled, or otherwise problematic service" as I hear not only from my local "Postmaster" but also from "Customer Service". I'm using quotes, because my "Postmaster" is not a master of his post in any sense of the term, and "Customer Service" only issues false promises, abusive conversations, and doing everything in their power to pass the buck and provide the most disservice possible. Accountability would be a good place to start looking.

Received a **PRIORITY MAIL** EXPRESS Envelope sent from FL and I had to pay $15.00 to get it. Person thought he was sending Priority Mail and he was sending Express. Envelope is totally confusing and it took 6 days to get to me.
    Is this really the way to instill any confidence in the USPS?
    Do you suppose it is a (temporary) way for them to make extra money? Not very ethical to say the least.

• Reply to: Great Expectations of Online Shopping   1 year 9 months ago

I am not as concerned with the pricing of the express mail as with the delivery and tracking process. I just sent a package express mail to Killeen , Tx with guaranteed delivery by 3:00 pm last Sat. It was not delivered by then and my son texted my wife to let her know that it had not been delivered to him as promised. He then got a call from his customer in Dallas who said if you don't have it, forget the deal. My son got in his car and drove around for about 20 minutes until he found the postman and asked him if he had the package. He then got it from the postman, went back home and texted my wife again letting her know that he had to go get the package from the postman, but that he did now have it! I guess the postman was just going to deliver it as "regular" mail (disregarding the $ 19.95 cost). I then went on line and tracked it through the postal site and it said that it was delivered at 11:03 on Sat morning. Totally false!!
    The local PO told me that I had to deal with the Killeen,Tx PO and gave me the phone number 254-634-0281. I called at 08:10 this morning and the phone was busy. I just called again at 08:25 and it rang and rang and eventually hung up on me. I just tried to call again at 8:28 and it rang 10 or 11 times and again hung up on me. Well - its 08:36 and I just tried to call the Killeen PO again. It rang 10-11 times and again hung up on me!!
    FORGET THE GUARANTEE that it will arrive at a certain time. And forget the idea that you can call the Killeen PO and deal with them. If you're smart you will send important packages by UPS or FEDEX!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Over the weekend we did an upgrade to our blog site and the upgrade defaulted the settings on the comments to "Anonymous". We believe we have it fixed now and for those who included their names with their comments, the names should be visible again. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Reply to: Great Expectations of Online Shopping   1 year 9 months ago

I am a Postal Worker and I do order online as well as use my mailbox. But I have to say, and please take me seriously, WE are going to lose the Amazon.com deal or arrangement or whatever you have with them because you can never track an order with the USPS. When I order from Amazon it often doesn't ask which form of shipping will be used. Sometimes it's the USPS, but other times it's UPS. I suppose it depends on the dealer that you are dealing with, and who they have chosen to deal with.
    I recently made an order with Amazon for several things my son wanted and so was dealing with various dealers around the country. EVERY single one of the UPS orders I was immediately able to track and know when to expect arrival. And the packages did arrive on the day stated. With the USPS packages at first I was told "No information available" then it went to "sent from dealer". After that there was a scan done at every facility when the package "arrived" but never when it "left". I work at the Harrisburg, PA central office 17107. For 3 days the package was untraceable; and then my mailman delivered it, and I said, "That's interesting. This package went from Philadelphia straight to New Cumberland and never passed through the Harrisburg Hub. I didn't know our small town had a direct truck from Philly?" Of coursed we laughed about it, but if you want HONEST FEED BACK: People really don't know how the Post Office works. Plain and simple. It took 13 days for my son's USPS package from LA to PA, and yet UPS did it in 3 to 5. PLEASE!!!!!!! You figure it out- Jeff Anderson.

Agreed with everyone else that this is a really bad idea. Ironic, I suppose, that months after their posts, ALL of the above commenters expressing their opinions about a name change... had their own names changed! Now they all read "Anonymous". Up until about 9/15/2013 their publicly (and voluntarily) posted names were allowed to stand, lending credence to their overwhelming complaints about this latest USPS boondoggle.

I can't get service for priority service now , how is changing a name = better service. USPS in NJ can not deliver the mail
    in accordance with their own rules. As soon as the public knows what difficulties , inefficiencies mount up,USPS changes the rules to led to more uncertainty and poor delivery of the mail. Its a disgrace to the American people who fought wars for this country. I SENT A COPY OF THIS ON GOING COMPLAINT TO MY ELECTED OFFICALS.

I just found out about this, as I looked in vain for Express Mail schedules.

Who the devil do you think you're kidding? "Priority Mail is 20 times larger than Express Mail" and growing, and you fools think or claim it's because of the branding NAME ??

Priority Mail, deadly obviously, is popular because it's SO much cheaper than Express Mail, not because of its NAME. (And it theoretically gets delivery times back in the range USPS used to provide for regular mail.)

The new "branding" is insane and confusing on its face, as 90% of your poll responders indicate. What a horrible decision to blur the lines after so many years of training us that "Priority Mail" means "the level of mail service we used to provide" whilst "Express Mail" means "the overnight service that's like FedEx". You've managed to drastically diminish BOTH brands. Fools.

• Reply to: Does a Virtual PO Box service appeal to you?   1 year 9 months ago

Perfect for the virtual business! I have plans on starting an online only business and since I won't need a physical address to conduct my business, a virtual P.O. Box would be a perfect solution. How soon will this idea become a reality?

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 9 months ago

i work 10 to 11 every day 6 days a week bring it on big boy

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 year 9 months ago

I was not sure if I could ship my package a the kiosk. There was a postal employee standing at the front of the line answering questions as people got to the front of the line (which doesn't help because I was about 20 people back and not getting out of line!) and she told two other people she didn't know if their transaction could be completed at the kiosk. If the postal employees aren't sure, and there is no one to ask, it takes less time to wait in line then try to figure out if I can ship and still end up waiting in line.

• Reply to: Overtime as a Management Tool   1 year 9 months ago

Wait till your station has 6 or 7 routes vacant a day for almost 4 months and see how you like it then.....

• Reply to: Promoting the Postal Service   1 year 9 months ago

The various Postal Services need to be promoted and advertise its various features to the utmost so that people could know more about the service and ascertain the required knowledgeable information.

• Reply to: The Power of Social Media   1 year 9 months ago

The Postal Service used its DMM Advisory email blasts to great effect over the years and its RIBBS bulletin board has always provided a good source of technical information. It would be nice to see the USPS tailor some blogs in this fashion, perhaps a technical blog that the MTAC crowd could follow and then a more general blog explaining things to the household customer. For instance, I think a blog series explaining what worksharing is and why it is helpful and useful and benefits all postal customers would be enormously helpful for the average customer. They sometimes just hear one side of this debate and it is easy to be confused. LIkewise, a general blog that explains how mail is actually a green choice, and that digital communications leave a giant carbon footprint would counter some of the anti-mail rhetoric.