• Reply to: Zip Into the Future   1 year 8 months ago

ZipGrid, a USPS patent, has huge potential applications. The concept of integrating coordinates in association with Zip Codes needs to be begin implementation now, but the complex numbering scheme of lat/long is too complex and impractical for many intuitive uses which is why the FGDC adopted the US National Grid as a Federal standard. A good place to start is with the USPS smart phone apps and to supplement USPS facility street addresses. Similarly, the USPS is missing out on a great revenue product by not developing digital GIS data products for sale that are a secondary effect of USPS's huge physical prescience across the country.

• Reply to: Go Secure With gopost   1 year 8 months ago

GoPost = Great innovation! It's a virtual Post Office Box (for parcels) anywhere, anytime, only when you need it. It's an innovative use of back office IT, internet, and adaptive physical delivery. Greater expansion will be needed for true success, but there is much room for more innovation with the concept. Like more locations with fewer but maybe larger lockers, to accommodate occassional large packages.
    I needed and used a similar locker at the AMTRAK station for a day in Chicago, so these small secure authenticated user spaces have product potential for other than delivering and accepting parcels to postal service. Think about having a small section of these in many 24/7 open locations, some with larger lockers, some 24x24x12 inches. What if I could send bulky things ahead to a few outside a Marriott Courtyard... For the traveler planning ahead, GoPost has huge potential given the cost of baggage fees on airlines. GoPost locations should be given with USNG geoaddress also because they are such small, discrete locations, finding them can be difficult. GoPost has huge potential in the internet age.

• Reply to: Pushing the Envelope Hits 5-Year Mark   1 year 8 months ago

Carriers and customers are in danger with mail deliveries this late. A carrier cannot drive safely after dark with an interior light on. I saw a carrier in the north Alabama area wearing a head lamp similar to what a coal miner would wear. Businesses are closed, the mail is brought back to the office, put with the next days mail, took out again for the carrier to arrive at the closed business again. It is not closing the plant in Huntsville that is the problem but poor management at the Birmingham plant and the mail arriving at the plant later and later to be processed will only make the problem worse. I am not a carrier, but Donby sayingna, print out this blog, you or one of your co-workers, or a customer, will soon need it. Someone will be hurt or killed by this mismanagement.

• Reply to: A Happy Customer is a Loyal Customer   1 year 8 months ago

I am sure you have remedied this already but, you contridicted yourself in your post. You state you have "fresh fruit" but then say it is "dried". Dried they mean all moisture removed, not just dry to the touch. If you have "dried fruit" then mail it. You do not need to tell anyone what is in the box......

• Reply to: Maximizing Performance-Based Contracting   1 year 8 months ago

Could eliminate the metrics and get them in the pocket or wallet. Impose a higher than normal "tariff" and professional insurance to cover them in the event of liability and tort events. And make the duration of the contract very short-term!!

• Reply to: Perhaps No Free Lunch, But Free Samples   1 year 8 months ago

it's agreeable that the majority of consumers are advocates of saving dollars. so a coupon is more likely than not to encourage a sell. is it really necessary to have a direct accounting of a coupon receipt or free sample that lead a consumer to make a purchase. i think these sheets and books of coupons i get in the mail weekly are waste and abuse of the system.

• Reply to: A Happy Customer is a Loyal Customer   1 year 8 months ago

Am I missing something? I just bought Christian Christmas stamps at my Post Office. Were they left over from last year? In any case, I asked for them and got them. Karlene, there have always been at least two choices of Christmas stamps, one religious and one not, calm down---and yes Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and don't forget the EID.

• Reply to: Fall Mailing Season Gets Rolling   1 year 8 months ago

I recently received a USPS mailer advertising holiday mail options. Under the "Don't forget your holiday stamps!" there was a picture of a Hanukah, a generic, and a kuanza stamp. There was no Christian stamp. Since the vast majority of our country is Christian, I find this offensive and prejudiced. In this increasing secular world we deserve more signs of Christianity. Please correct your advertising to display Christian stamps.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need to Re-examine Its Delivery Service Standards?   1 year 8 months ago

It really makes me mad to come home and find the postal service truck has driven in my yard and muddied my sidewalk, he needs to park the truck and get his lazy behind out and walk up to the mailbox. This is in Bellevue Ne and it doesn't do any good to complain to the post master I've gone down that road before, the general response from him is well, we're all human and make mistakes. Well I have news for him, I don't get paid over 20 bucks an hour to drive through peoples yards, It's a matter of walking 2 to 3 feet.

• Reply to: A Happy Customer is a Loyal Customer   1 year 8 months ago

I am very disappointed with another government agency, the USPS NOT RECOGNIZING CHRISTMAS, with this years Holiday stamps-You got Hannukah, Kwanzaa and a lousy gingerbread house to represent Christmas. What is the problem, you are afraid of being sued for separation of church and state. Read the constitution, it never said that. Oh yea all of you in government dont follow the constitution because you don't even know what it says. That's what you get for taking critical education out of the school curriculum and put in things like Common Core so you can get everyone marching to the tune of Hitler. Did you forget how many people lost their lives for the freedoms you have to include freedom of religion, one being Christianity which this country was founded on. Oh yea you didnt learn that either because another government agency, the Dept of Education took that out of the history books. Keep it up you think you are losing money now.. I see a boycott in the future. Oh and Merry Christmas to all of you... let you be reminded of what Christmas represents... the birth of a savior we all need. Perhaps you need to read the Bible.

• Reply to: Fall Mailing Season Gets Rolling   1 year 8 months ago

This particular comment is in reference to the forever flag stamps that were created. I don't understand the "strike through" on the word "forever" it appears (to me) that it looks like you are saying it isn't forever. I am truly offended by the line thru the word "forever" and maybe you should rethink the design, by removing the strike through.

• Reply to: The Global Logistics Revolution   1 year 8 months ago

This is a double see page 1

• Reply to: A Happy Customer is a Loyal Customer   1 year 8 months ago

I am very disappointed in the mail service in my communities. I say communities because I live in a rural area, and my post office has been closed within the past two years so that I can no longer mail packages or buy stamps from my small town, but instead must drive 15 miles one way to do so. The next larger town is 25 miles in one direction and their post office today told me that because I had a box of fresh fruit to mail, they would have to call the usda to inquire about their policy. ? So he looked up their phone number in the phone book, (their office is another 25 miles away from my home, one way) and was told by someone in that office that I needed to bring my package to them to have it inspected!? So the postal clerk would not mail my package. I have looked up the usps policy on this and see that #53 states, "Fresh fruits and vegetables are nonmailable unless they are in a dry condition", (which mine are), "and in a strong and securely sealed package as required in DMM 601. 1-8" (whatever that is) Which again mine were in a large flat RATE PRIORITY POSTAL BOX PROVIDED BY THE POST OFFICE. I am so put out by this, I will never again patronize this particular post office in Raymondville Texas because apparently they would rather work against the customer than for them. Either I will drive even farther to mail packages, or will use a private company such as UPS or Fed Ex. No wonder the postoffice is in such poor working order with this sort of silliness.

• Reply to: Pushing the Envelope Hits 5-Year Mark   1 year 8 months ago

Closing the plant in Huntsville, AL has effected the mail carriers not to mention the customers... With the plant closing the mail gets to us much later in the mornings which has made management change our start time to 8:30 and for some 9:30. On average our DPS does not get to us until between 9:30-10:00.....mail is very inconsistent. Coming in to work and getting our mail late in the mornings puts us out delivering until very late at night, endangering us to all kinds of unsafe conditions. Carriers are not able to see the mail, so we have to turn on our inside lights on which cause a glare, we are on busy roads at high traffic time, it is difficult to see people in the dark and rain. There is more congestion of vehicles parked on the curb which makes the carrier get out of their vehicle to deliver the mail and puts them in danger of being hit in the dark. Also customers want to know why we are delivering mail at 7,8,9,10 and 11 o'clock at night...The customers have also said that they are scared to go to their box that late due to the possibility of falling, and in some neighborhoods there is a sense of danger. Some carriers have had the police called on them when they are delivering late at night. If we have trouble with our vehicles (whether it be and LLV or privately owned) after 5:00 pm, most businesses that could help us are closed.

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   1 year 8 months ago

This is a manufactured crisis that came out of Congress' demand that pensions and health care be funded 75 years into the future. The real purpose is privatization of the postal service. If you managed your historic properties well, included services that were cut off, e.g. Postal Money Orders, and better services, there would be no crisis. We also need to work on Congress to aid the postal service, not hamstring it.

• Reply to: Neither Blizzards Nor Hurricanes Nor Zombies...   1 year 8 months ago

I have just returned from speaking with our local postmaster as our mail was not delivered today...again. It's because a car was parked in front of the mail boxes. The postmaster says that it is USPS policy that they cannot get out of their delivery vehicles in order to place the mail in the boxes...I'm talking 10 feet! Hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes I can understand...but 10 feet of walking! (Yes, I'm serious...he says that it is USPS policy!) Please don't tell me about their heroics regarding delivering the mail. The heroes have all left the building...

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 year 8 months ago

I have used the self-service kiosks many times and they are great when they work but the one at the Gateway Loop P.O. in Springfield, OR is seldom in working order. Today I tried it and it worked, well it worked up to the point of taking and charging my credit card and issuing a receipt but no postage. I had to go to the counter and seek help from the one clerk working at the customer service counter. The clerk left the counter and went over to the self-service kiosk and played around with it for about five minutes and then came back to the counter and gave me a refund request form to fill out while he waited on other customers. When I was able to get back with him he started going through some clicks on his computer screen but had to stop and go look at a manual. At this point twenty minutes had gone by and as there was only one clerk the line of people waiting behind me was increasing. I told the clerk that I thought it was getting a bit ridiculous and that would rather just pay for the postage again and get on with my day. The clerk took my money and issued the postage and told me that if I came back in two and a half hours there would be someone who could help me with a refund then.

Perhaps the most ironic part of this is that when I looked at the receipt for the second postage it had a message on it that read:
    “In a hurry? Self-service kiosks offer quick and easy check-out. Any Retail Associate can show you how.”

After this experience I will never use the self-service kiosks again and will warn everyone I know about them.

• Reply to: Digitals Still Dig Physical Mail - When Enhanced by Digital Features   1 year 8 months ago

With the technologies that internet companies, such as google and facebook, and online marketers are currently using to create databases for targeted advertising to web browsers, and variable data printing technology and mailing services such as everyday direct mail, it seems that there ought to be a huge opportunity for someone to combine/harness these technologies to create timely, targeted, and highly effective advertising/marketing campaigns via physical mail in much the way google, facebook, and others do with online ads. Digital features of such mailings would certainly enhance the attractiveness to customers as well as potentially help advertisers gauge the effectiveness of their campaigns and constantly improve them. A plus for mail recipients would be that this more specifically targeted mail advertising, unlike Pennysaver and Red Plum which are saturation advertising, would be less likely seen as "junk" mail.

• Reply to: The Innovation Unit Dilemma   1 year 8 months ago

Agreed that it can be hard. But it can be done. Fifteen years ago they developed Parcel Select, Carrier PU, Click and Ship, Delivery confirmation (now much improved), strategic alliances, etc.

• Reply to: The Innovation Unit Dilemma   1 year 8 months ago

The USPS partnered to launch a very innovative idea known as eBillpay. In many cases the USPS ended up delivering a hard copy envelope containing the payment in a check. I still use eBillpay, but about 10 years ago the USPS dropped out of the partnership. That was the type of adaptive technology that would have helped them counteract the diversion of first class mail to the internet. I don't know why they dropped out, I seem to recall that private industry objected and Congress or the courts or the PRC said the USPS could no longer participate (profit from) eBillpay.

So it begs the question, if the USPS was to innovate through this hypothetical unit, would they be allowed to implement and then continue their innovative product? Or would Congress/courts/PRC shut them down?

Could the USPS get back in the online payment business today?

Well, this evening I played kiosk roulette. Spent an hour going to 3 different post offices only to find the kiosks in each were out of order. . . Again. I have no time left in my work day and am thrilled with the kiosk concept. I just wish they were reliable or there were more available.

• Reply to: The Postal Service — Your Connection to e-Government   1 year 8 months ago

I THINK THE POSTAL SERVICE SHOULD TRY AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A REVENUE PRODUCING OPPORTUNITY, BY BEING A COMMUNICATIONS PORTAL TO HELP FACILITATE THE APPLICATIONS OF THE AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT. DUE TO THE ELECTRONICAL/DIGITAL HURDLES THAT IS BEING EXPERIENCED NOW. I BELEIVE THAT THE MAIL MEDIUM WOULD BE A VIABLE AND RELIABLE MEANS TO GET APPLICANTS COVERTED IN REGARDS TO THE NEW HEALTH CARE LAW. THE GOVERMENT CAN USE THE USPS MAIL STREAM TO SEND MASS MAILINGS REGARDING REQUIREMENTS AND ANY OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION INCLUDING SIGN UP FORMS.

• Reply to: No More Day of Rest for Postal Package Delivery   1 year 8 months ago

NO. There will be no profit. It will appear as if there is but those employees who are now working a "seventh" day and being paid double overtime to deliver these parcels will be paid far more than Amazon is charged for postage. The Postal Service has still not addressed staffing for this function. FedEx Smart Post routinely drop ships parcels that exceed Postal Service size limits but this is ignored, another loss of revenue that is not seen on the spreadsheets. This program will be touted as a winner because only hours used will be compared to dollars gained from Amazon, not the actual dollars paid to the employees. It is another example of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It would be fascinating to see the actual deal they gave Amazon. I don't see how they can do this without losing money based on the incremental cost versus the incremental revenue. The DDU Drop Ship rate for a parcel is $2.16 for a 2 pound package. It's only $2.44 for a 10 pound package. The only way for this to work is for Amazon to do DDU drop shipment, or you are adding transportation and sorting for parcels from the NDC or plant. You will need clerks to accept and sort the packages. Although, there was mention of Amazon doing some 'routing'. Perhaps they finally figured out to put the carrier-route number on the package to help with the sorting and eliminate scheme requirements.
    Let's figure 15 packages an hour. That's $32.40 in revenue. But Amazon probably negotiated a lower rate. The sort and the delivery cost would exceed this. Even with a lower cost part-time, non-career employee. I also would expect the need for a supervisor to open the building. All this also would be at Sunday premium pay.

The bottom line is that I fail to see how this covers the incremental cost. In my opinion, this is another example of decision making without proper analysis to get headlines. I would be happy to do a real analysis of this if the volume and rate data was available.

Sure this will be a net financial win for USPS. The PRC approval assures it. Not a big one, but probably incremental and surely profitable. And its probably a bigger PR win and maybe even a morale booster for carriers and other Postal Employees who are desperately looking for innovative initiatives coming from management.

Amazon's competitors, e.g eBay, may feel compelled to offer something similar and cut their own NSAs, thus providing more volume and revenue for USPS. Maybe even UPS and FedEx will expand their own SurePost and SmartPost Parcel Select offerings.

Who, speaking of which, incidentally, are far more like "main customers" of the Postal Service than "main competitors," are they not? Is it not true that most of USPS's parcel growth is in fact coming directly from FedEx SmartPost and UPS SurePost? And is this not a good strategy for the Postal Service to serve ALL the heavy shippers with Parcel Select, while at the same time serving ALL small to occasional shippers with Priority Mail, thus dominating the market it serves better than any other carrier, namely residential delivery, six or even seven days per week?