• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

Are these numbers inflated? Are they consolidating across the time zones or just in one distinct area? Tell us more about service standards, in particular how they are going to be improved? Will you guys be emailing or admailing some of my mail? Can other people (not mail carriers) drop off my mail? Is the overnight service to accommodate "international" mail? Are male "packages" included in the products or services?

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

The manner in which newspaper mailers are required to prepare their mailings adds to the delay of the newspapers. In the "good old days" newspapers were placed in brown bags that were easily identified as the important mail that they were. Now they are simply put in the same 'ole white bag as the cheap stuff but with a pink label to identify their importance. The brown bags are no longer used. As the bags of newspapers leave the local offices where they are mailed and reach the "consolidated networks" (of which I am honestly a fan if it is done correctly), the tiny pink labels of one quarter inch by two inches (maybe?) are overshadowed by the giant white bags that may contain just a few newspapers. Why just a few? Because Postal regulations require them to be sorted into TOO MANY sacks---too many sacks that cost the mailer time, cost the bulk mail unit time, cost transportation time, and get lost in the shuffle with their tiny pink tags time. Oh but I digress, what do they get lost with? The standard mail that costs so much less to mail that is in the identical sacks. My solution to most ALL the problems with delayed newspapers on this blog---easy---two parts---change the bundling requirements for periodical mailers, requiring more per bundle and next place small numbers of newspapers into TUBS--NOT SACKS so they are easily identified and not mixed with standard mail. If standard mail is allowed in a tub, why not a periodical? The bundling requirement alone will save the Postal Service money on bulk mail verification. Ask any BMEU clerk, or me I was responsible for the audits.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Afford Alaska Bypass?   1 month 4 weeks ago

Well said. ^ I went to the northern eat university in the U.S. and what he is saying is true.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 weeks ago

Increase revenue as well as public service by initiating a secure email transmission service that would stand in the place of certified mail. Senders can attached scanned copies of secure documents to email, Postal service would transmit the document to the addressee either by email or by possibly by printing the document an delivering in paper format.

Postal Service appears to see internet email as a competition but it is an opportunity if it were employed as a secure guaranteed communication service. It is technically feasible to transmit email to an account holder and be able to confirm that the mail was not only received but was opened.

Courts recognize that Certified Mail, when sent to an addressee and then returned for non-acceptance constitutes 'Constructive Accpetance' and thereby obligates the addressee to be liable for the knowledge contained in the document. That quality of 'Constructive Acceptance' has not yet been (as far as I know) recognized for general email on the internet, but that could be achieved if the Postal Service provided an email account system that would provided the level of guarantees obtained via regular certified mail and regular registered mail. The cost for delivery and confirmation would be dramatically reduced since handling physical documents would not be needed.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 weeks ago

This is the time for change. Let's unite and ship with joy. Don't be ashamed. Read my blog if you like it.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Monitor Packaging Supplies?   1 month 4 weeks ago

Are you kidding me on this blog? You can't even get the danged packages DELIVERED in a TIMELY FASHION, even when the correct boxes are used. Worry not about this. Go back to basics and just do the job you are obviously overpaid for.

As I sit with yet another one of my packages stuck in another sorting center...2 weeks overdue.... sheesh

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 weeks ago

We publish two weekly newspapers in Hancock County Maine and mail approximately 7,300 newspapers each week. Of the 7,300, over 2,300 are mailed out of state.

Timely newspaper delivery has been an ongoing problem for us for years, mostly with out of state delivery. In county delivery for the most part is reliable. We have started receiving reports of late delivery in other Maine counties in the past few months. Newspapers that used to arrive on Thursday or Friday are now arriving on Saturday or Monday. The problems with out of state delivery run the gamut: consistently 3 weeks late to Maryland and Florida, 6-8 weeks late in NJ, receiving February 13 and March 13 issues on the same day, erratic delivery, receiving later published papers before earlier ones, and on and on. A subscriber in New Jersey tells us that years ago he received his American on Saturdays. Then it became Monday and now it takes a week or longer. For us, the two worst states for delivery are Florida and New Jersey.

We have lost many long time subscribers due to poor delivery. Subscribers are very loyal and love their Ellsworth Americans but they often tell us that news three weeks late is not news. They are correct. It is not news. The Postal Service is slowly killing off our out of state subscriptions. Will in-state be next?

• Reply to: Meter Mail Refunds: “Is There A Better Way?”   1 month 4 weeks ago

IM SORRY TO ADVISE YOU THAT EVEN THOUGH, THIS IS AN AURTHORIZE REFUND NOTICE STRAIGHT FROM WASHINGTON DC, HERE IN SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA USPS MAIN BRANCH, 1300 EVAN ST 94124.
    HEAD OF RETAIL MARIA WOODARD, PURPOSELY DEVIATES FROM POST MASTER GENERALS AURTHORIZED NOTICES FOR POSTAGE METER REFUNDS. WE DEAL WITH NEOPOST , NEOPOST IS 1 OUT OF 4 AURTHORIZED USPS SERVICERS, I WENT TWICE TO REQUEST A REFUND FROM MY LOCAL USPS ON 211 LANE ST SF CA 94124, ANGELICA SUPERVISOR, SWORE UP AND DOWN FOR THE 20 PLUS YEARS SHE HAS WORKED USPS, NOT ONCE DID THEY ALLOW METER POS. REFUNDS, I HAD TO DO IT ONLINE, SHE WOULDNT EVEN CONSIDER TO READ THE CURRENT USPS REFUND POLICY ON METERED POS. REFUNDS. I THEN TOOK IT TO A HIGHER LEVEL, 1300 EVANS ST SAN FRANCISCO CA 94124 MRS M WOODARD, STATED, THAT YES THEY REFUND METERED POS, AND SHE DOESNT KNOW WHY ANGELICA DIDNT DO IT, AND SHE WAS GONNA CALL HER AND AND AUTHORIZE MY REFUND. MRS. WOODARD THEN CAME OUT AND DIRECTED ME BACK DOWN TO LANE ST USPS TO RECIEVE MY REFUND THAT SHE APPROVED. BUT, SHE THEN PULLS OUT AN UNPAID CHECK FROM US AND DEMANDS TO COLLECT PAYMENT, I TOLD HER WAIT A MIN. WE MAY HAVE OVERLOOKED IT AND ISNT THERE OTHER WAYS TO HANDLE THIS BESIDES HUMILIATING US IN FRONT OF PEOPLE ? WE ASSUMED ALL CHECKS CLEARED, WE NEVER RECEIVED NOTICE THAT IT DIDNT GO THRU. IT IS A POLICY ABOUT HOW TO HANDLE THESE THINGS INSTEAD OF THE UNPROFESSIONAL WAY MRS WOODARD DID. SHE SHOOK HER HEAD AND WALKED AWAY... WE THEN WENT BACK DOWN TO USPS ON LANE ST AND BEING JUSTIFIED BY MRS WOODARD APPROVAL FOR MY REFUND, WITH ASSURANCE, I ONCE AGAIN REQUESTED MY REFUND WITH ALL PROPER DOCUMENTS, AND ANGELICA SAYS, OH YOUR HERE FOR THE REFUND , IT WAS AURTHORIZED, BUT FOR SOME REASON SHE CALLED BACK AND RECINDED HER AURTHORIZATION. I ASKED WHY ? SHE SAID , I DONT KNOW?..

FROM THAT DAY ON I HAD TO GO TO DIFFERENT LOCATOINS, RESEARCH REFUNDS PROCEEDURES....SOME USPS PROCESSED THE REFUND NO PROBLEM, SOME REFUSED THE POLICY, ODD? THEN A NOTICE WAS POSTED NOT TO REFUND NEOPOST PVI POSTAGE... USPS RETAIL CLERKS CLAIMS NEOPOST IS NOT A SERVICER OF USPS... MIND YOU, THIS NOTICE WAS NOT AUTHORIZED BY THE POST MASTER GENERAL OFFICE IN, WASH. DC, AS THIS ONE ABOVE IS...

EVEN WITH THE CURRENT AUDIT DONE ON RETAIL /CUSTOMER SERVICE,WAS NOT GOOD, YOU THINK USPS WORKERS WOULD BRUSH UP ON CUSTOMER SERVICE... AND DO BETTER. MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS WHOLE SITUATION, CAN MAKE ME RICH.... I HAVE DEALT WITH 8 DIFFERENT LOCATION, 1600 BRYANT ST USPS SF CA, TOLD ME TO COME BACK MONDAY WHEN A SUPERVISOR THERE, WHEN I WENT BACK THEY SAID NO SUPERVISOR... I WENT TO USPS ON S VAN NESS ST SF CA, AND USPS MANAGER BEN, TOLD ME THAT THEY LIED TO ME THAT THE USPS SUPERVISOR DAVID, WAS THERE HE JUST SPOKE WITH HIM ON THE PHONE, HE CALLED S VAN NESS USPS AND TOLD BEN NOT TO SERVICE ME AND TO BEWARE OF MY COMING THERE, I ASKED BEN WHY WOULD THEY LIE, HE SAID, I DONT KNOW, BUT FOR ME TO GO BACK THERE AND LET THEM KNOW BEN SAID THEY LIED TO YOU...I WENT BACK AND ASKED SEVERAL TIMES TO SPEAK WITH DAVID, I ASKED THE CLERK WHY, SHE LIED ABOUT IT WHEN I FIRST CAME SHE YELLS AND SAID YOU ASKED IF MY SUPERVISOR HERE I SAID NO. I ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR...THAN THE ASIAN CLERK YELLS, DAVID NO COME OUT TILL POLICE COME, WE CALLED POLICE, DAVID WAITING FOR POLICE.... I SAID, WOW, ALL I ASKED....BI WAITED FOR DAVID AND THE POLICE BUT 30 MIN. LATER DAVID COMES OUT AND A LADY TOLD HIM THAT THEY SHOULD HELP ME, HE TOLD HER THAT I WAS A FRAUD CASE, SHE SAID , I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT BUT, YOU SHOULD STILL HELP HER, DAVID DIDNT KNOW UT BUT MY COWORKER STANDING BESIDE THAT LADY AND OVER HEARD THE WHOLE THING. I GAVE DAVID ALL VALID DOCUMENTS HE WENT TO VERIFY IT , I CALLED NEOPOST TO LET THE KNOW IM HAVING DIFFICULTIES WITH POLICY AND DAVID COMES OUT AND SAID USPS HAS NOT EVER DEALT WTIH NEOPOST, NOT KNOW MY NEOPOST ACCOUNT AGENT WAS ON THE PHONE AND HEARD A USPS SUPERVISOR CLAIM NEOPOST IS NOT A USPS SERVICER . MY ACCOUNT MANAGER FOR NEOPOST AGREED IF I NEEDED A STATEMENT FROM HIM, HE WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP. THE VERY NEXT DAY A MEMO WENT OUT...DO NOT REFUND NEOPOST P VI...AND STILL REFUND POLICY STATES THE SAME AS ABOVE... I GUESS USPS WORKERS I SF CA ARE EXEMPT TO USPS EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK AND POLICIES. FROM POST MASTER GENERAL WASH. DC..THEY MAKE THEIR OWN RULES OF EMPLOYEE CONDUCT AND REFUND POLICY HERE IN SF CA 94124. ALL I WANTED WAS STAMPS IN LIEU OF CASH REFUND... AND NOW I COULD PROBABLY OWN HALF OF USPS..LOL

PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PERSONAL OPINIONS DO NOT GO TOGETHER ,HOW YOU CONDUCT BUSINESS ON SOMEONE ELSES EXPENSE , NEEDS TO ALWAYS BE PROFESSIONAL. NO MATTER HOW CRITICAL OR FRUSTRATING THE CUSTOMER MAY BE, YOU IN UNIFORM NEED TO BE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE LEVEL OF PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE.,.LEAVE YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS AT HOME... I BROUGHT AND PRESENTED ALL THE PROPER DOC, THAT I NEEDED TO REQUEST A REFUND AND PRESENTED IT ORGANIZED AND NEAT... LACKED NOTHING .... AND FOR NO VALID REASON, I WAS REFUSED ONLY BECAUSE NEOPOST IS NOT A USPS SERVICER, ATLEAST NOT IN SAN FRANCISCO CA...

• Reply to: Revenue Protection   1 month 4 weeks ago

As stated by Parlament, short paid, and reuse of stamps should become a facet in employees everyday work, sorting wail. A great way to bill these identified mailings, are to have scannable package labels of which they can bill the sender for shortage paid in postage.

This is a tough one. As a customer, I very frequently receive packages from eBay sellers, etc, where the seller has used free USPS products for internal padding, etc. this always really bothers me, and seems like theft to me. However, I'm not sure it would be cost effective to actually attempt to monitor the use of the products you supply. My advice would be for you to make a very clear and accessible policy that your free products are to be used as external packaging only, and only for items shipped via USPS, and that doing otherwise will be considered theft. Then ask that customers report to you (with photos, possibly?) when we receive a package where the seller has violated those policies. After that, a letter that threatens legal action might do the trick. ( would it be considered fraud by mail?)

• Reply to: I find I retain information better when reading a book or periodical in:   1 month 4 weeks ago

thanks to send

• Reply to: Does a Virtual PO Box service appeal to you?   2 months 8 hours ago

I don't want strangers to know where I live, but need to share my physical address.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 10 hours ago

We are having delivery issues with our smaller postal carrier towns. What use to take 1 day to deliver, is now taking two to three days. We have loyal customers who are thinking about dropping their subscription if service does not improve. Any and all help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Reply to: What service is most important to you?   2 months 15 hours ago

Hello Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to notify our offices of this occurrence and we apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced.

The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS). Unfortunately, this issue falls outside of the jurisdiction of this office.

However, please contact the Postal Service Consumer Affairs Office at (602) 223-3223, so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   2 months 18 hours ago

Online or kiosks. And if I must then person.
    The post office workers in my area do not like the job, not afraid to get fired, and treat the customer like crap. I was not born in this country and look white. At fist my thoughts were
    "Reverse racism". The realized no, pretty much
    Everybody gets treated equally with standard "CRAP"

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   2 months 1 day ago

I have been trying to make an appointment for two weeks unsuccessfully. In this day and age, we are still asked to leave a message on the phone and wait for somebody to call back. The first time I missed the call and had to start all over again. Why can't USPS just set up an online system where people can see available time and make reservation?
    And you wonder why USPS is going out business???

• Reply to: What service is most important to you?   2 months 1 day ago

92612924912561581832235420 i mailed this on 02/12/2015 and it still says that it is in ANAHEIM, CA 92899 Why would it still be their i need to know if this has been delivered as i cant get my money back untill it is could you please let me know the status of this item Please See Belowe thank you
    Jane DeBaets

The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item departed our USPS facility in ANAHEIM, CA 92899 on February 16, 2015 at 7:39 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    February 15, 2015 , 6:05 am
    February 11, 2015 , 3:43 am
    Accepted at USPS Destination Sort Facility
    FLORENCE, AZ 85132
    February 10, 2015
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 1 day ago

First off degrading service standard in effect is charging money for first class and providing third class service. That's called fraud! The consolidations are needed no doubt. But USPS is not laying employees off of shuting down Plants. The savings are questionable at best and again fraud at worse.

USPS continues to procure processing equipment while volumes (demand) continues to decline. The entire company is being managed poorly. If you want to be treated like a "real" company you need to act like one.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 3 days ago

The Philipsburg Mail newspaper uses the Exceptional Dispatch service to deliver papers to the Anaconda Montana 59711 zip code, a Post Office 30 miles away. This stop eliminates an 81 mile journey west to Missoula, Montana plus a return trip 350 miles east to Billing, Montana before delivery can be made 250 miles west to Anaconda, Montana, a final destination only 30 miles east of Philipsburg.
    This effort shortens delivery time regularly by four days. It would be beneficial to the newspaper and the Post Office if the Philipsburg Mail could drop off all papers that are heading east instead of delivering them to the Philipsburg, Montana PO where they would travel to Missoula, Montana and potentially Spokane, Washington before heading east.
    As noted, the journey west regularly adds four days to the delivery time of this weekly newspaper. This delay is unacceptable to our readership and advertisers. It is costing us business.
    The Post Office is an essential part of our delivery system. To date 60 percent of our papers are delivered via the P.O.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 3 days ago

Network consolidation has already and will continue to cause massive delays. I am circulation manager of a rural newspaper in the midwest and service has tremendously slowed for us. We try to DDU drop our newspaper everywhere we can, but due to the shortening of hours the local post offices are actual open to accept mail, we have to mail some in sacks. Unfortunately, this means that some subscribers who live just 15 miles away from our office do not receive their newspapers for 5-7 days! Needless to say, those subscribers are (although mostly were, as most of them have stopped subscribing due to late news) very upset about the delay, and it gets increasingly hard to explain to them that it is not our fault that the delivery takes so long. At some point, the loss of subscribers is going to force us to deliver ourselves I guess.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 3 days ago

As I read this article the smoke started coming out of my ears! Then I read the comments posted and realized that I am one of many publishers who are infuriated at the complacency that resonates within the administration of the postal system. Instead of trying to clean up your act and provide the best service possible all you do is require more and more of your mailing customers to ease your load and on top of that, reduce the level of service! Unbelievable!! Any other privately owned business would have had to shut their doors a very long time ago!
    Our small weekly newspapers are located in the Central Valley of California. We take our paper to the local post office every Wednesday before noon. Thank goodness for the local postmaster who has instructed his employees to keep all of the papers that are delivered locally and in two other surrounding communities and they make sure that they are delivered the very next day. For any of our subscribers who are are of the area, the papers are now taken to West Sacramento Sectional Center, which I fondly refer to as "Never, Never Land." As other publishers have stated, many of the surrounding communities are not receiving their papers for 5-7 days, sometimes not at all and sometimes two or three editions are delivered together. This is unacceptable. And then I have to try and explain to my subscribers that it is out of my hands and I really can't do anything to solve the problem except send them another paper which in turn takes more money out of my bottom line. When it comes time to renew their subscription, it doesn't happen so again, more money out of my bottom line.
    There is not one person who takes responsibility for this lack of service! Lots of voice recordings, transfers to other departments but not a solution to the problem. Could it be that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians in the postal service? Who knows....because they aren't held accountable to anyone!

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   2 months 3 days ago

Ms. Brooks,
    Please contact your local Post Office regarding this matter and they can advise you what to do.
    Office of Inspector General

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 3 days ago

We are losing newspaper subscribers from out of the local area because of higher postage costs and slow delivery. People 12 miles down the road complain that they don't get their paper until Saturday, and we mail it on Wednesday. Email and online bill paying are certainly hurting your volume. The answer is not to increase rates, as it simply drives more people to electronic communications. Perhaps you should have sales on first class postage from time to time to encourage use. Buy four and get one free, for example. We now pay for software to fit postal service requirements. We used to use an Addressograph that imprinted the address on the front page, and we put them into the proper order by hand. The papers in the northern half of Minnesota were all in mailboxes the next day. Now we have Intelligent Mail, and it takes longer. Another idea: Have a contest to boost productivity. Give rewards like an extra week of vacation to workers at the most efficient sorttation facility, for example.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   2 months 3 days ago

Our business has experienced a noticeable decline in service on delivery of first class mail to Lexington, VA. For the past few months, we will receive a large volume on one day, often a Monday, and then virtually no first class mail for several days, then another large volume day. Heretofore, our mail receipt volume was fairly steady, with predictable peaks around our billing cycle.

This has affected our ability manage cash flow, and for our customers to remit payments promptly to us. If this continues, our business will have an incentive to explore more electronic payment options, further reducing our dependence on First Class mail.

I believe you will find that may rural mail customers have experienced similar delays.

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   2 months 3 days ago

I have been trying to find out how to return some free boxes to the USPS for two days , I called the 800 275 8777 number and someone was supposed to call me back that never happened. I have searched the USPS web sites to get info to no avail. I am trying to do the right thing. These boxes are still in the plastic wrap. Why can't I get a pick-up to return
    answers?