• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 4 hours ago

I thought the whole thing was a fun idea--but poorly executed. There are not many everyday uses for the $2.00 stamps. I have bought many of the sheets in hopes of getting a right-side-up Jenny, and now I'm stuck with stamps that I can use only on packages. Further, I now learn that my local post office probably wan't on the list to get these stamps in the first place. It was unethical (and problably illegal) marketing.

The whole project would have been ten times more effective if the stamps had been 49-cent stamps. Then everyone could have participated in the fun without having unused and unusable stamps lying in a drawer. Read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for ideas on how to get people excited about this kind of promotion.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 4 hours ago

I'd just like to take this matter off in a slightly different direction. I am the artist that designed and fabricated the neon that became the image for the very popular Celebrate Forever stamp. I believe the postmaster has a poster of this stamp hanging in her office. I propose we redo the inverted Jenny image in neon. The original inverted Jenny and my stamp have both set precedents so the combination of image and rendering medium, I believe would result in an amazing collectible stamp! I can render the aircraft as a 3-Dimensional object within the flat plane of the surrounding design and it would be photographed to replicate the original configuration. I think it is worth thinking about!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 4 hours ago

We live in a country where lotteries and gambling are an accepted fact of life. Why on Earth can't the Post Office use a promotion like this to draw attention to collecting stamps? The old rule of not creating a rarity may be obsolete. I am all for creating the fun of a treasure hunt. What could do a better job of firing up interest in this wonderful hobby and also raising awareness of the USPS, especially at a time when the government seems bound and determine to let it wither on the vine?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 4 hours ago

I object to the USPS issuing stamps or other USPS artifacts with the intention that they are creating a rarity for collectors. The upright Jenny was a huge mistake in my opinion. Things that are "created" for collectors eventually become non-collectable. The upright Jenny is an exception in that it is so limited, and with a popular topic, that someone will pay the price. If the USPS carried the logic to an extreme, issue say 10 copies of a particular design every years and auction them off through eBay. Most serious collectors wouldn't be interested. Speculators would be all over it followig the "bigger fool" theory.

One suggestion I have for the USPS to enhance phiatelic interest is counter-intuitive. Reduce the number of new issues per year substantially. Not only should that save the USPS some costs, but it would reduce the annual expenditure a collector would have to pay to obtain all the issues for that year.

And please go back to soakable stamps so that used stamps off paper can be collected. Younger collectors and those who can't afford to tie up funds in mint, unused stamps might then be enticed to collect stamps if they were readily available as used stamps.

One final suggestion: Offer printed album pages for the year for all the stamps issued that year. With a reduced number of new stamps per year, the number of pages could be small and the cost to a collector would be small. If the pages were offered in small size format as well as large size format, that might get some interest. In addition, USPS could offer the pages in digital format off their website for free so that a collector could print their own pages on whateve stock sheets they wanted.

AL

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

It pleases me greatly that your office has taken interest in the restricted upright Jenny sheet issue. My immediate reaction to the first news of the limited quantity was one of sincere concern that it would accomplish exactly the opposite of the intent . . . . to create interest in USPS products and U S philately. Both philately and numismatics,
    the collection and study of coins and medals, are suffering from a real drought of new, young adherents, due to all the amazing outlets for free time activity made available by the explosion of electronics technology. I recently attended an annual first day cover show in Columbus OH. I don't think anyone in that hotel event room was under the age of 40 years during the more than two hours I was in attendance. When instant rarities are created, absolutely beyond the reach of the great majority of collectors for all time, I think a negaticve impression is cast in concrete. The deck is stacked, ensuring there is no possibility of aspiring to a complete collection inmany categories,
    U S special sheets, aircraft on stamps, the issues of the particular year, modern issues by contract printers, etc. The United States Mint has been in the limited edition business, as well, with low mintages and, unique, never before used, finishes on Silver Eagle coins. The whole concept of limited special issues, and the limited edition Circus sheet is another example, is, in very simple term, undemocratic. Why should agencies of the peoples' government be in the business of limiting emissions and
    making just some citizens special profiteers?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I think this could reflect another Farley scenario. The only just thing would be to mass produce these sheets to devalue those given inappropriately to friends and family of certain Postal Service employees. Further, prosecution should be sought against anyone suspected of breaking the law.

In general, I am not a fan of the Postal Service creating lottery type promotional events.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I buy stamps only from the Kansas City fulfillment center. I purchased a number of the invert sheets with a limited hope of getting one of the right-side-up sheets. I feel that fraud has occurred in this matter - both in how specific post offices were selected or not selected to receive the upright sheets as well as how the remaining upright sheets were not mixed in with the general population of inverted sheets at the fulfillment center. It is my guess that the person(s) responsible for this will keep their jobs another 10 or 20 years and retire with full honors - despite the fraud.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I agree with Stuart, reprinting the un-inverted stamps with the date of 2015(2016) would be a step in the right direction. It would devalue the originals slightly which would not be nice for the few that have found them or bought them from auction, but would provide an opportunity for the average collector to obtain one. I also would like to weigh in on the numerous varieties of the same stamp issued. No one needs the same stamp issued as a forever stamp, but also as a denominated stamp, pick one and go with it. Nor do we need five different perforations for each definitive stamp issued. All the USPS is doing by making these numerous varieties of the same image is trying to make money off of collectors, yet it is this very reason that has driven myself (and several other collectors I know) to quit collecting current issued stamps. So the plan is to make money, but is it really accomplishing this with fewer people buying the current issues? Lastly many of the current issued stamps are not worthy of collecting. Their topics are boring, the portraits and prints are ugly, or the quotations are incorrect, which only distracts from those previously honored on postage stamps for valid reasons, rather than another .50 cents of revenue.

Thanks for the invitation to voice our opinions though, I feel it is a step in the right direction.

Ron

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I feel that the way this stamp issue has been handled brings discredit to the USPS and collectors who spent their hard earned money in the forlorn hope of receiving one of the non inverted special panes. Immediate refunds should be given to all who purchased this farce, and would like their money back because of this false and mis leading stamp program. For once do what is right!

Also I would like to see more historical themes on stamps and less movie characters.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

Now only was the production of these intentional rarities wrong, but the distribution process was dishonest. I bought numerous copies of the sheet (at $24 each I might add) thinking there was a random distribution of the non-inverts through the population. The availability of these was neither evenly distributed nor random.
    The office of the Inspector General should require the postal service to make amends by producing and distributing additional non-inverted stamps. Yes, speculators will lose money, but that's why they're call speculators.
    As your office and Postal Regulations note, the postal service should not be in the business of creating rarities, Appropriate remedial action and reparations needs to be ordered.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I think that with all the technology and the way things are printed, this is an intentional act by postal employee. I worked in the printing industry for a number of years, and for only a few to end up upright is very difficult. Off set of printing plates does happen when the registry does not a line. But with computer alignment it is hard.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

1. Re the upright Jenney stamp: Deliberately creating scarcity or rarity is a fraud and diminishes the role of stamp issuance and the hobby of stamp collecting. It is a more despicable marketing tool than I've seen from the USPS in a
    long time.

2. The above is symptomatic of the U.S. Post Office and it's offspring, the U.S. Postal Service. The number of issues is
    excessive and does not seem to be driven by postal need. Commemorative stamps ought to commemorate something of
    significance to our Society. They no longer do so in my view. The situation with definitives is even more obscene. The USPS is issuing multiple varieties of the same design - for instance the U.S. flag issues - with different perforations, different gums or adhesives, different printing firms, shades, colors et cetera that have no honest postal purpose other than to "fleece" the collector. Why do we need a flock of new definitives every year? Why do we need definitive stamp issues with more values that the IRS code has pages? Maybe this is one of the reasons why youngsters aren't taking up philately as a hobby.

3. The appearance of live persons on U.S. stamps violates a long term policy regarding stamp issuance and serves no legitimate purpose. Why are there Harry Potter stamps? If popularity is your guideline, why not issue stamps honoring cocaine or heroin to use an argumentum ad absurdum?

3. The upshot is that I quit collecting late 20th and early 21st century U.S. stamps since in the words of the Scott
    catalogues from years ago, they are not issued for valid postage purposes. After collecting U.S. stamps for 68 years,
    you've lost me. Try not to turn off the youngsters.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

The inverted Jenny is another example of "wallpaper" that turned off collectors of postage stamps. I've been a collector for 60 years. I stopped buying new issues years ago because there are so many and don't commemorate anything. They are just WALLPAPER. The Post office would save millions of dollars if they would get out of the business of trying to print stamps that they think collectors would buy and then end up destroying them. They are turning off collectors instead of creating new ones.
    Thank you.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

The idea of the inverted Jenny issue, in and of itself, was a wonderful idea. Where the USPS went astray was in the creation of the 100 panes of the "uninverted" stamp and then really left the reservation with their announcement of how it would be distributed and made available.

With the announcement of the 100 panes of the uninverted stamp, the USPS stated they had ALL been randomly inserted throughout the entire run of the regular issues, that they had gone to the point of masking the identity of the stamps through the use of sealed cellophane wrapped around plain cardboard to ensure no one would be able to have any advantage over another and to make this an entirely random process. Just like many other collectors, I've purchased many panes (around 70 to date) in the hopes of receiving one of the elusive right-side up panes.

Unfortunately, this was a sham. After reading the excerpts from the UPS IG report in the philatelic press, I came to the sad realization that I had been duped. Granted, that while under the guise of the original explanation of this distribution I may have never had much - if any - chance of receiving one of these panes, the sad reality was that the REAL distribution made this a literal hunt for a needle in a haystack. I started to question the veracity of the distribution when all over sudden three panes were given away to randomly selected customers. I had asked myself "How was it that someone in the USPS could possibly know where to find one - let alone three - panes if they were ALL randomly distributed in completely unidentifiable packaging?" Now, we all know the truth. There was a token random distribution, but the USPS knew where a great number of these panes were at all times. Fortunately for myself, I had a way of using the stamps I had purchased in excess of what I needed for my collection. Still, this was just wrong.

I find the way the USPS went about this to be very disheartening. As a life-long stamp collector, I feel abused by the very entity who produces the product I collect. It is not a pleasant feeling. Had I, or any other private citizen, conducted a scam of this magnitude we would be facing criminal prosecution for fraud (at the least) and would have been publicly denounced in the press. This is one of the largest governmental groups, and yes, I know the USPS is a quasi-governmental group. The whole affair will be quietly buried in bureaucratic red tape with investigations and reports and analyses of the investigations and reports and further reports on these reports, with the end result being that the process of getting to the bottom of it will become so mired in the bureaucracy's system that sufficient time will pass, interest will wane and little, if anything, will ever come from it.

What does this mean for me? It means I've lost confidence in the USPS. It means that for me another government agency has betrayed the public trust. It means that an agency which has wailed at how they are struggling financially for so long has wasted the manpower, the brain trust and the goodwill on this failed venture when they could have been addressing more pressing issues.

If the USPS wanted to increase revenue and cut costs, try putting stamps in post offices. I have noticed a trend to limit the availability of postage stamps in post offices with some which almost never have anything recently issued ever available.

Let's take this a step further. Why not STAMPS ONLY? I understand the draw of computerization, but the USPS is costing itself a fortune with two systems. There are the stamps which have already been printed and delivered to the USPS. Why do they need meters? This second system requires the machinery to print the meters, which in turn, means they will need maintenance, repair, ink, paper and eventual replacement as the government constantly chases the latest technologies. Think how much could be saved if one or the other system was eliminated.

If the USPS were to eliminate stamps, there would probably be an outcry from the public, and a rather significant source of revenue would be forever lost. The amount of money in collections of stamps which were purchased from the USPS and the USPOD is staggering. On the other hand, if the meters were eliminated and only stamps used, it will slow the customer service some, but the added revenue as people keep a few of the stamps they purchase, as a few more become collectors, and the fact that the images created for the stamps would continue to serve their extrinsic purposes would offset the slower lobby times. If the figures for decreased first class mail are correct, this should not be such a major problem. The other saving would come from the costs associated with the maintenance of the meter machines and the supplies necessary to feed them.

Thank you for providing a forum which allows us all to vent our frustration and outrage with the way in which the inverted Jenny was handled. I look forward to following the progress of your office's inquiry into the matter. Perhaps, for once, I could be pleasantly surprised with what the outcome is.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   2 days 5 hours ago

Hi there me again,I sent a little something earlier.I agree with this person here,I get my medicine and other Important things in the Mail also.I DONT anyone but ME and the Postal Carrier in y Mail Box Either.But for a long time now My Box and many others have been Broken into and ROBBED our Mail from our Mail Boxes.When is this going to STOP When is the Post Office going to something about this?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I think it was a brilliant idea. In my opinion, those doing the complaining are probably capable of paying large sums for highly desirable material and are just pissed because they couldn't buy outright for resale. And the marketing was great. After I learned of the right side planes, I went out and purchased another 6 sheets. Just what you hoped for. I'm guessing the majority of collectors, those whose pockets are not that deep, are quite happy with the program.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I initially purchased 3 sheets of the upside down airplane stamp from the Kansas City philatelic distribution center in hopes of getting one of the 100 panes. Now I know I never had a chance of getting the rare pane as they were never distributed from the KC center. I have no use for $2 stamps and feel I was taken or scammed. I have been slowly using the stamps on 1st class mail overpaying the rate by 4. I feel I should get a refund of $1.51 for every stamp I bought.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   2 days 5 hours ago

Hi There thank you for being here for us sirs.Say one little thing I think you should know about.I live in Moreno Valley Calif.My mail box has been ROBBED broken into many many times,Not only mine BUT others also,The Mail Box is in front of my House right by my Driveway.They use a crowbar or something to that affect to break into the Boxes here.It has been going on for a very long time now.And I and others here in my area are really tired of getting our mail STOLEN.I and others here have Called the Moreno Valley Post Office to report it.They DONT do a thing about it.They say Call the Local Police we call them and they say call the POST OFFICE OK?The Post Office have Postal Police right?Postal Inspectors right?They sit up there in there air conditioned area looking at and watching the Postal Workers right?The Post Office WONT fix the Mail Boxes Broken into,They say it is our Fault it happened.We have to put New locks on the Mail Boxes ourselves.Way Dont the Postal Inspectors get Off there BUTTS and come and check on this PROBLEM?I Know they are there because I went to the F.L.E.T.C. Training center the same as they did ok?Only I was a Customs Inspector.PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SOON.A very concerned person.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I agree that gifts should NOT be allowed. I feel that the inverted Jenny helped the Post Office and stirred interest in stamp collecting and could be done again in the future.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

The "Upright Jenny" has now reduced The US to the level of the Sand Dune Countries or the blocked issues of the German Democratic Republic. Intentionally creating errors puts a big stigma on the USPS. Not only in violation of internal rules, this lowers the respect of the worldwide philatelic community.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

The issue originally was overpriced, resulting (I think) in suppressed sales. Hiding the right-side-up panes may have increased sales (I bought more), but irritated those of us who are "completists". Having all the current issues is now virtually impossible unless you have $50.000 laying around - I don't.
    The curious thing is that the general public (at least those I know) seemed unaware of the panes (unless they visited a post office with a poster hanging somewhere) and even more unaware of the "error" panes.
    Regarding the types of activities that would enhance the philatelic program: I like the idea of reproducing old postage stamps, but assigning them values that have no relationship to rates makes them uninteresting to the public.
    Years ago, I worked with our local post office to visit elementary schools where presentations were made to young children about stamps, letters, and the concept of communicating with family and friends. I think that such a program would still be valuable even in the age of twitter, etc.
    Instead of just advertising package services, include information in your ads about new stamps.

Thanks for asking.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

Have collected stamps for 60 years and find these "lottery program" efforts ill conceived. As previously suggested, these are not real rarities but contrivances promoted to separate collectors from their money. If you want to promote the hobby and, hence sell more stamps to collectors, produce stamps with a high caliber art and perceive engraved features.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

I bought 100s of the Jenny invert panes online from the Postal Service, but it now seems that there was NO chance of getting an upright pane. I feel cheated.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

Years ago we had Farleys follies and this is just another abuse of the printing process. It is unfathomable that she would have the stamps printed and then split up and stuck in a bunch of sheets printed correctly. This is tantamount to outright fraud. One has to wonder how many other stamps are printed with errors and kept by employees and officials to gain a substantial increase in the price and sell them through dealers. How many first day covers were made with the errors? Reissue the errors and have a great number of them back dated to eliminate the financial advantage that some collectors and dealers have gained.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

It should not be the job of USPS to influence the market! Your answer demonstrates the wrong thinking that pervades the philatelic services of USPS. It is your job to create meaningful and beautiful stamps, and to serve the philatelic community, not to influence the market for intentionally created rarities. This must stop!