• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

We publish a daily paper in Monroe MI and send the papers to our local post office every week day packaged exactly as we are instructed to do so. In recent months we have received an increase in out of county customers complaining that their papers arrive a week or so later than they should. Some days a customer will get 3 or 4 papers and then nothing for half a week and then a bunch again. Sometimes the papers shows up a few days after publication day if they are lucky but most of the time well over a week. Absolutely no consistency. I have readers begging me for help and there is nothing I can do nor get any answers from anyone as to why the delays. Regardless if I am mailing to Florida or in the next county over the inconsistency happens constantly. I have even mailed a paper to my own house because it was hard to believe the complaints we received. After I finish writing this comment I will have to process a refund for a customer that has had enough.
    On a final thought I would like to suggest the postal service eliminate the Publication Watch process as that doesn't do anything other than say the final local post office delivered on the day they got the paper...problem is that is a week after I sent it out. I want to know what is happening in between my post office and the customers local post office.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 month 2 weeks ago

No proof of actual mailing from a Kiosk. It's technically not even shipped until someone scans it. So the Kiosk is great for an after hours emergency, but otherwise never.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   1 month 2 weeks ago

Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting our offices.

The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS).

Unfortunately, this issue falls outside of the jurisdiction of this office.

However, we have forwarded your message to the Postal Service Consumer Affairs office. They will be able to look further into this issue for you.

Need to stop a packet that in New York cause who I'm sending it to was a scam
    tracking number CW738212627US

• Reply to: Zip Into the Future   1 month 2 weeks ago

Pat,

There would be no reason to add your social security number to the mailing address and seems like a phishing scheme or hoax. If you have the link to the article, please post it here. We’d be interested in seeing it.

Thanks,
    OIG Blog Moderator

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   1 month 2 weeks ago

Residential mail delivery in Fort Branch Indiana (47648) is unreliable. Yesterday I found somebody else's water/sewer bill wadded up in my mailbox. Such is not uncommon. I get somebody else's mail about every other week and neighbors bring mail to me about as often that was delivered to their house instead of mine.

I have told the local postmaster about this repeatedly with no improvement. The general response is that this can be expected because they are bringing in temp carriers from out of town.

I had always regarded the USPS as the most reliable delivery service available and I can understand unusual circumstances such as a truck crashing. However, the failure of people to ACTUALLY LOOK AT AND PAY ATTENTION TO what they are doing is not unreasonable.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

I am a newspaper publisher in Wisconsin. I have no problem if it takes another day or even two for my out-of-town newspapers to be delivered to my customers. What distresses me is customers saying they are receiving papers 2 or 3 weeks late, if at all. And the fact that the Post Office charges me for papers that are never received. If I treated my customers this way they would fire me. I know the U.S. Post Service is comprised of dedication, concientious people, but the operations/systems stink in terms of reliability and accountability.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

We are a weekly paper here in Southwest Wisconsin and have been having so much trouble with the postal service. We send our paper all over the US because we have customers that are "snowbird" (live in the south during the winter) and we had many concerns from them about not receiving their paper this entire winter. I know they are being sent out because we label each paper by hand. We have been in contact with our post office and others around the area and the major hub out of Milwaukee. I did have the problem solved for people out of the state not getting the paper, or so I thought, but now people in state and even in the same city are not getting their paper. Since our post office went through and became re-CASS certified, we have been in contact with them more to make sure our papers are getting to the right places. Like I said people in our town are not receiving the paper and currently others from out of the state are calling and staying they still haven't got their papers. I have a list of more than 50 customers who are fed up with paying for something they are not getting. We are losing subscriptions which then has us loosing money and when we finally get the situation figured out, I have to reimburse them a certain amount of weeks or months which also does not help with our money situation. Even when we send out our renewals or bills they get to people late and the bills are adding on overdue amounts. We are a smaller company and can not take hits like this when the cost of everything else (ink, paper, etc) is going up. We are working on getting our Postal Statements online but it is again difficult when our papers are going to the wrong places and our counts are not adding up. I just took over this position at the beginning of the year and that is when everything started to go downhill. I feel that I am doing a terrible job because I can't even get this figured out. I feel better knowing that there are others out there like me but I feel terrible know that there are others out there like me and having to deal with such difficulties. I do not understand the USPS system and have no right to really criticize them but this is ridiculous. I just hope and pray that this will be resolved so everything can go back to normal.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

Bad idea. As a business owner who depends on the prompt deliver of our newspaper to keep our customers happy, any reduction in standards will dramatically affect me and my business. As it is now I get calls on a weekly basis about papers not being delivered. I have one client that I have to take papers to because the post office refuses to deliver and then tries to charge us again for a return fee! Please consider the local newspapers before implementing these changes!

Jennifer Reed
    Managing Editor
    Raymore Journal

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

As the owner of a small community newspaper, I have seen the USPS service deteriorate to the point where i think you should rename it the United States Postal... because there really isn't much for service anymore.

My out of state subscribers regularly see their papers taking 2 weeks.

Many of my instate subscribers can take up to a week.

And yet our costs keep going up but service keeps getting worse. How does that work?

Luckily we have the Internet that we can now ship pdfs to our subscribers that desire their paper sooner.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

As newspapers who use the mail for delivery, we are already not getting the service we are paying for each week. Unfortunately, it has become routine for it to take two to three days for a paper to be delivered to a neighboring community 12 miles away.
    This can all be traced back to consolidation of mail processing centers.
    Periodicals are supposed be given the same priority as first class mail.
    Oh wait, that's being slowed down even more.
    We will all lose subscribers that we can't afford to drive the papers to the destination delivery post office.

• Reply to: Zip Into the Future   1 month 3 weeks ago

I recently read an item that states the the formatting of addresses on envelopes is going to change in 2016. Part of the change is that the zip code will b 5+4+9. The "9" represents the addition of the individuals social security number. Please advise if this information is correct. Will the zip code in the near future require the personal social security number of the persons the envelope is addressed to or is this some kin of hoax that is being circulate. Thank you

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 month 3 weeks ago

The self-service kiosk has worked for me when I've tried it, but I'm frequently shipping eBay items and have already bought postage through there. I use the clerk to accept my packages so I can be sure the tracking number is activated.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

Our newspaper has seen a drastic drop in mail delivery and service. Newspapers delivered in the local market surrounding our drop zone take 3-4 days to be delivered when in the recent past, they were delivered the next day. Our paper is dropped at our local Post Office in Louisville, OH. Picked up by the Canton, OH office, driven to Akron, OH, then transferred to Cleveland, OH to be returned to Canton for delivery to all the local cities. Not only has the delivery times been lengthened to 4 delivery days, we are receiving at least 10 calls/week for papers not received at all. This is out of our small circulation of 1700. I am confident that the minimum 10 calls/week is only a small amount of papers not being received as not all customers call to complain. We have lost at least 20-30 subscribers due to lack of delivery and the customer has given up on subscribing. As a small business, we cannot afford to continue to lose subscribers due to the Post Offices failure to provide the service for which we dearly pay. In fact when one of our customers was directed to the Cleveland Customer Service phone number, she was told by the agent in Cleveland that, "they should consider finding another way to deliver the paper. " Rather concerning when the Post Office employee tells a customer that the publisher should find another delivery agent.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

I just received a call from subscriber that just today (April 3) received his Springs Valley Herald mailed March 11 (sent from French Lick, In.) to Shoals In. just 25 miles away (over 3 weeks for 25 miles). Of course I am going to lose this subscriber because they can not accept that delivery time. This is not an isolated case, we get these calls almost daily from all over the country. We also get a lot of calls stating they do not gat a paper for 3 or 4 weeks, then they get 3 or 4 papers in the mail the same day. which means the papers are being delayed at some point and then delivered all at the same time. Of course we are losing subscribers and there is not much we can do except try to get them to our website, but they insist they want the paper. I spend a huge amount of money with the USPS every year and the service declines every year, they may force me to look at other alternatives if things do not get better. Are experience in the past with contacting customer service is. You usually get a answering machine with a promise someone will call you back which rarely happens. We have waited months in the past for tracking papers to get back to us. The local Post Offices do a good job of delivery of our product and responding to our concerns, if it is something they are authorized to handle, but it is a real mess after it leaves the local offices, it seems the mail gets in these distribution centers and gets misplaced for days I understand the USPS is going thru a very tough transition, but so are we as a newspaper, and we are striving very hard to give are readers more and better service, not less.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

at the rocky mount nc p&df we use to handle most of the mail from I-95 to Elizabeth city.now all the mail goes to Raleigh for processing,but wait!raleigh can not handle all the mail,so...they send it to Greensboro.there is no one in this world can convince me this is cost effective.as an mm I do mail searches in the dbcs.i find mail every day going and coming to the same town that is postmarked 3 to 5 days previously..we are cutting our own throats

• Reply to: Reducing the Number of Prices   1 month 3 weeks ago

it's indexed and might be beneficial for a newbie. or someone with a disability because it's all spelled out. unfortunate for the customer because they might have a longer wait time.

• Reply to: Show Me the Money   1 month 3 weeks ago

this article--in reference to a closing facility. it's overtly negative and single sided, even if its' true...

• Reply to: Keepin’ It Simple?   1 month 3 weeks ago

this clarified something. i thought they -clerks- enter the zip code and weight and then derive the price. similar to calculating postage online... i bet this could get confusing especially with software glitches and slow connections... Yikes

• Reply to: What service is most important to you?   1 month 3 weeks ago

the post office transparency.. tell us what does non-career and casual staff do... can the post office rent out their space for other activity. using some type of metric for percent fails..

• Reply to: Growing Body, Shrinking Footprint   1 month 3 weeks ago

hybrid vehicles have minimized some of this. plus many have their parcel packages delivered to their work. where one would assume is busy and the route could not be eliminated. people who have po boxes. keeps home delivery to a minimum.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

Are these numbers inflated? Are they consolidating across the time zones or just in one distinct area? Tell us more about service standards, in particular how they are going to be improved? Will you guys be emailing or admailing some of my mail? Can other people (not mail carriers) drop off my mail? Is the overnight service to accommodate "international" mail? Are male "packages" included in the products or services?

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

The manner in which newspaper mailers are required to prepare their mailings adds to the delay of the newspapers. In the "good old days" newspapers were placed in brown bags that were easily identified as the important mail that they were. Now they are simply put in the same 'ole white bag as the cheap stuff but with a pink label to identify their importance. The brown bags are no longer used. As the bags of newspapers leave the local offices where they are mailed and reach the "consolidated networks" (of which I am honestly a fan if it is done correctly), the tiny pink labels of one quarter inch by two inches (maybe?) are overshadowed by the giant white bags that may contain just a few newspapers. Why just a few? Because Postal regulations require them to be sorted into TOO MANY sacks---too many sacks that cost the mailer time, cost the bulk mail unit time, cost transportation time, and get lost in the shuffle with their tiny pink tags time. Oh but I digress, what do they get lost with? The standard mail that costs so much less to mail that is in the identical sacks. My solution to most ALL the problems with delayed newspapers on this blog---easy---two parts---change the bundling requirements for periodical mailers, requiring more per bundle and next place small numbers of newspapers into TUBS--NOT SACKS so they are easily identified and not mixed with standard mail. If standard mail is allowed in a tub, why not a periodical? The bundling requirement alone will save the Postal Service money on bulk mail verification. Ask any BMEU clerk, or me I was responsible for the audits.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Afford Alaska Bypass?   1 month 3 weeks ago

Well said. ^ I went to the northern eat university in the U.S. and what he is saying is true.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

Increase revenue as well as public service by initiating a secure email transmission service that would stand in the place of certified mail. Senders can attached scanned copies of secure documents to email, Postal service would transmit the document to the addressee either by email or by possibly by printing the document an delivering in paper format.

Postal Service appears to see internet email as a competition but it is an opportunity if it were employed as a secure guaranteed communication service. It is technically feasible to transmit email to an account holder and be able to confirm that the mail was not only received but was opened.

Courts recognize that Certified Mail, when sent to an addressee and then returned for non-acceptance constitutes 'Constructive Accpetance' and thereby obligates the addressee to be liable for the knowledge contained in the document. That quality of 'Constructive Acceptance' has not yet been (as far as I know) recognized for general email on the internet, but that could be achieved if the Postal Service provided an email account system that would provided the level of guarantees obtained via regular certified mail and regular registered mail. The cost for delivery and confirmation would be dramatically reduced since handling physical documents would not be needed.