• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

As an amateur but avid collector I have enjoyed reading news of discovery. I realize, like winning the lottery, I will never see or own one personally, but its fun knowing a modern, attractive, rarity is out there. I realize it seems ludicrous for the USPS to purposely create a rarity that will potentially be worth thousands of dollars, but I believe it is good for the hobby, for the imaginative hopefulness of the young, novice, or amateur collector--and just might light a fire in the not-yet collector.

• Reply to: Carriers as Conduits   1 day 22 hours ago

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

How in the world could the Postal Service not recognize that it was creating instant rarities, and releasing them in the form of a raffle.
    This is highly inappropriate and is to be condemned.
    I stopped collection U. S. new issues when the Postal Service started putting cartoon characters on stamps.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

I thought it a clever and innovative idea. The problem is there is no opportunity to look for such an item. If the mint inadvertently created an error on a penny, collectors could search rolls of pennies for an error. That would be fun and interesting and great marketing. For the post office to create one, but it is only in the stocks in the post offices, handled only by postal workers, there's no chance of a collector to "look" for one. We'd have to buy dozens or hundreds of the sheets at the window and then look for them. Several post offices I visited didn't even have this sheet; I had to order mine online. It would be more fun (and profitable for USPS) to have issued both so I could have both in my collection.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

When I found out about this intentional "error", I went down to my local Post Office and bought a sheet. Of course, it did not have the the error. Then I thought...$12!!! This is a lottery!! .I found that some customers had ordered thousands of sheets to increase their odds. Pure speculation and greed! The Post office violated many of their rules when they printed these intentional errors. They should be ashamed of themselves....no, heads should roll!!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

As a collector of stamps for over 60 years I have seen the field of stamp collecting hurt by a number of US postal policies: issuing a ridiculous number of new stamps, post cards, press sheets, etc. every year, the vast majority of which were not available at many local post offices and were, by the post office's own admission, designed to be bought by customers put in a drawer, and never used, just to generate more postal revenue; abandoning gummed stamps in favor of self-adhesives that deteriorate over time much quicker than the old water-activated ones and which are almost impossible to soak off of envelopes; and even omitting the layer between the stamp and the adhesive that allowed the stamp to be removed from the paper so that it could only be saved on a piece of envelope. Last, but not least, this fiasco with an artificially created error--the "univerted Jenny"--that directly violates the Postal Service's own regulations and for which no really practical or fair method of distribution was ever developed, with the result that 75 percent of the errors have not been found (as of 8/27.2015) and are unlikely to ever turn up. Ths was another nail--but a real big one--in the coffin of stamp collecting. Heads ought to roll at the Postal Service for this poorly thought-out disaster.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

USPS should not be in the business of creating rarities--period. Any stamp that is printed should be made available to all customers. This includes not only "random" distribution like the un-inverted Jenny, but I'm also very wary of stamps made available only as part of a much larger purchase, such as the Circus stamp that could only be purchased as part of an annual set.
    I'm not quite as opposed to limited issues, i.e., only so many will be printed and it's first come-first served.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

There's nothing wrong with USPS creating rarities. The Mint does it all the time. However, the way USPS did the Jenny was subject to manipulation. Why didn't they just do an online lottery? If they want more revenue from collectors, then charge $1 or something for each online lottery ticket.

Then you can have as many rarities as you want. I know there's that rule that USPS cannot intentionally create rarities. Answer? Change the rule. The USPS already creates rarities. Look at press sheets. Issues of 500? That's not that rare, but it is intentionally limiting supply.

Listen, if USPS issued ONE (that's right, ONE) example of a stamp, and held an online lottery for that stamp with lottery tickets costing $1 and letting everyone buy an unlimited amount of tickets, they would make millions off that one stamp.

Hey, states have lotteries all the time. Why not USPS?

Think it over, USPS.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 22 hours ago

I love creativity and innovation. I have no problem with the USPS dong something new and different. I am always in favor of doing something that can help balance the financial scales in favor of profit rather than loss.

But if the stamps were sold to customers under false pretenses then that is not right and should be corrected in some way with the purchasing patrons.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

I was bewildered when I heard the Postal Service made a printing of only 100 sheets. Was this ethical or even legal to create a postal rarity? Then to lie about all 100 sheets being randomly distributed to post offices and finding out months later that they withheld a quantity (we don't know how many-it's still a secret) and gave away a few only increased their degree of deceitfulness. Someone needs to be fired over this stamp issue.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

I think that the inverted/upright Jenny is helping to invigorate the stamp collecting hobby. I enjoy looking for the 'gold at the end of the rainbow'. I also think that stamps should be printed using soakable backing.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

I think it's a bad idea to sell the non-inverted sheets as a sort of lottery. I'm also very unhappy about the circus souvenir sheet only being available for purchase when buying the year set. What a rip off. I've been a stamp collector as long as I can remember and the USPS has made literally tens of thousands of dollars of pure profit from stamps I've bought that go directly into my collection/stock folders. If the USPS prints it, it should be available to everyone. This also means providing ALL stamps through Stamp Fulfillment. Stop gouging stamp collectors!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

The Jenny issue has been a slap in the face to stamp collectors. I've bought way too many of these sheets and use them as quickly and as possible. If this "scam" is in fact illegal or improper under the Postal Services own rules, than why wasn't it stopped from even being put into production and marketed? This is really a matter of the USPS "eating it's own". It is perfidious how the non-invert 100 were "seeded" in such a despicable way. It is even more outrageous that the Postmaster General "gifts" sheets to customers. I buy consistently large orders from Stamp Services, but even I have a budget. Very bad judgment motivated by a blinding greed. I say Reprint the right side up version and to heck with the stamp dealers. Let freedom ring!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

I felt from the start that the intentionally scarce upright Jenny sheets we a cheap gimmick, commercially exploitive, and uncharacteristic of the USPS. Must the USPS resort to hucksterism for survival? What's next, lotteries for stamps?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

A stamp commemorating the Inverted Jenny was a nice idea, but like most everything the USPS has been doing, goes beyond any reasonable perspective. A $2.00 stamp was overboard. A souvenir sheet of 6 X $2.00 stamps was six times overboard. It could have been done in a much more measured way.

The gimmick of putting out 100 random non-inverted Inverted Jenny sheets went against every principle of philately that the USPS used to uphold. Instead of creating excitement, it created scandal. It was completely exploitive, and made the United States look like a cheap nation without any standards. And, of course, it really didn't work that well, either, which is not a surprise.

If the USPS is making stamp decisions with any philatelists' input, it doesn't show. Any philatelist would have warned against this tawdry scheme.

If the USPS thinks it's going to realize huge gains from retention of the Inverted Jenny sheets, I would like to note that I have bought a number of sheets and use them as much as I can on mailings -- because that's what stamps are actually for, to mail things. They are not going to be hoarded. Those days are over, nobody is going to be investing in large amount of U.S. .postage like people did before.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   1 day 23 hours ago

As someone who regularly purchases items online and have them shipped to my home, I don't understand why this outdated law mandating only USPS can use my mailbox is still in effect today. I'd be much more confident in the security of my packages if all deliveries to my house went in my mailbox rather than sitting on my front porch for anyone to see. Fortunately, I live in a safe neighborhood in Iowa and do not have a problem receiving my deliveries, but it seems to make much more sense to receive deliveries through my mailbox.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

Dear Postmaster General:
    Thank you for your concern regarding the issuance of inverted Jenny along with 100 intentionally produced upright Jenny stamp sheets. I think the Postal Service erred in this issuance. I do not believe that the inverted Jenny was worth issuing and then to have the Postal Service intentionally issue 100 sheets of an "error" version of the stamp borders on criminal activity. I feel the Postal Service should never intentionally issue an error version of a stamp and they should also never flood the market with error versions if an unintentional error is found.

Please pursue this matter and please see that the Postal Service implements controls so that we do not have these types of issues in the future and that they follow their own rules already in place.

While on the subject of stamp issues, I also believe that the Postal Service is printing far too many copies of far too many various varieties of far to many different subjects each year. I believe this is being done to generate financial support of the Postal Service on the backs of collectors because our congress will not take appropriate action to allow the needed streamlining of the Postal Service in this day of changing communication methods.

Thanks for the help and Best Regards;

Tom Geren
    (collecting since 1957)

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

I think it is terrible that the USPS has printed stamps that is not available to the general public. As a stamp collector it is bad that they create a rarity that is highly priced on the secondary market. All stamps issued by the USPS should be readily available to order and secure without the need to purchase additional stamps. It is no way for the USPS to encourage us stamp collectors and appears to just be another example of the USPS extracting additional funds from the public. It is a terrible situation that should be addressed and remedied by the USPS to be more customer focused and friendly.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   1 day 23 hours ago

I think that lifting the restrictions on mailboxes would be a terrible idea. I have been letter carrier since 1988. Some mailboxes are so small that you can barely fit a standard electric or telephone bill in it. Some customers use their mailbox to store things like spools for grass trimmers. I have also had to deal with new businesses putting fliers n the mailbox (a loss of direct mail revenue).

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 23 hours ago

the PO forgets the furor of the Farley era when Jim Farley and FDR gave samples of the national parks issues to friends
    complete with autographs, etc and had to reprint the "Farley issues" in the late 30s and the missing color that was reprinted so "each kid collector" could have a treasure in their collection. The PO should issue stamps properly and
    when an error happens let it be instead of non collectors coming up with ideas that just compound the problem.

I have collected for over 70 years and learned to count to 5 on the Army-Navy issue and had to learn to go to 10 on
    the parks. If the PO continues to issue the commems that they are now issuing and get them to all the Post Offices and
    made it easier for ordinary patrons to purchase the instead of setting the computers to make it hard to sell commems to the general public we would have more people enjoying the hobby. Make it easy for kids of all ages
    to soak and collect they will get more collectors and move more stamps. Remember the commem quarters, you don't have to buy a whole roll to get one.

It is tough enough to make little pieces of paper compete with electronic images for beginers so lets not make it
    more difficult than it is.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 14 sec ago

This should never be done again. It makes a mockery of stamp collecting. It is no better than what Jim Farley did as FDR s Post Master General and the remedy should be the same. The marketer who thought this up have commercialized philately in a way which has harmed every US collector. We are now obliged to guess what the PO will do next instead of research the intracacies of history.
    This was a monumental mistake base on ignorance of the history of collecting

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 8 min ago

While the creation of intentional rarities is not something that should ever be done by a legitimate postal service, this one has been done. The remaining sheets being held need to be distributed or those that are already our there will become even scarcer (and more highly manipulated). This type of tactic needs to be avoided in the future.
    My biggest concern, however (which has not been addressed to my knowledge), is that the inverts were printed by fixed-plates; that is, a single printing sleeve with the blue and red inked in by rollers. To produce 100 non-invert panes, this means that an entirely new printing sleeve had to be created, with a separate press run. This is not an inexpensive process. Has this aspect been examined?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 9 min ago

I think the upright Jenny was a terrible idea. The USPS should create stamps solely to accommodate the needs of the mailing public. Using the stamp program to serve promotional or marketing goals is diversionary and ultimately harmful to stamp collecting, because it alienates old-school stamp collectors like myself without bringing new collectors to fill the void. I started collecting U.S. stamps in 1945 when the Presidential series was in wide use. Abuse of the stamp program by marketing-oriented USPS hucksters caused me to stop collecting new U.S. stamps sometime in the 1990s. I now concentrate on 19th century U.S. stamps. No intentional errors there, and no Elvises.

• Reply to: A Golden Opportunity?   2 days 12 min ago

Dear Sirs and Ladies of the Inspector General's office-I am strongly in favor of having postal baking for 2 reasons. First reason is that postal banking can help 68 millions of people who normally can't get banking normally. The second reason is that postal banking can get much needed revenue for the postal service. At least 1.1 billions of new dollars can be added to the revenue of the post office. I see that as a very good thing for the postal service. Thank you for allowing me to have imput in this issue. Good day.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 21 min ago

I do not like the idea of actually manufacturing stamp errors. However, I do appreciate the idea behind the "Jenny Gimmick"; the USPS wanted to manufacture excitement, and it did. For the first time in years, I actually saw a major news source (CBS) have a segment on stamp collecting. It was a great segment. We need more of that PR. It would also be nice to have a "normal" stamp collector on the advisory board. I am not sure that we have that now. I do know that we have to get young people excited about this great hobby or our future stamp shows are all going to be held in Good Samaritan Homes.