• Reply to: Hollywood’s Take on the Postal Service   5 years 9 months ago

I got so used to hearing the sterotypes about postal workers it just didn't bother me after awhile. People are going to think what they are going to think, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate them. And besides some of it is well deserved. A family member gave me a t-shirt when I retired that said, don't p--- me off, I work at the PO. And their was an assult rifle under that. I didn't get upset. But I'd never wear it,esp. not in public. You just have to roll with the punches.

• Reply to: Hollywood’s Take on the Postal Service   5 years 9 months ago

The key is reaching out to Hollywood's writers and producers, much as the CIA did a few years ago. This resulted in the ABC Series, "Alias". It also gave life to a number of number of documentaries including some really good ones on the National Geographic Channel that provided a realistic and yet interesting portrait of the agency.

None of this happened by accident, it was the result of a prolonged effort by the CIA to "change their image" in Hollywood. This included inviting writers and producers to their HQ in Langley, VA and providing subject matter experts at no charge to review scripts and suggest changes.

The Postal Service still retains a valuable bit of mind-share with the public, as they are often listed as the most trusted government agency. Building on that sense of confidence seems natural.

Sometimes there appears to be an aversion to playing on the nostalgia of the Postal Service...because I think there is some fear that it makes the organization appear dated, or less modern than other shippers. But I think that most folks still have a warm place in their hearts for the mail...and maybe more could be done to take advantage of that.

Outreach to the movie and television industry is the key. As someone who's been exposed to a lot of the behind the scenes activity in the Postal Service, I can tell you that there are a number of people who go out of their way to insure that the mail goes through. The trick is to let writers and producers have a chance to see that for themselves.

Great topic!

• Reply to: Hollywood’s Take on the Postal Service   5 years 9 months ago

I serviced a route in a poor neighborhood. At Christmas time my wife and I shopped for people who needed some reason for the season. A fellow carrier purchased Thanksgiving diner for people at a homeless shelter. We did it because it made us feel good. No publicity, no bows, no "hey ain't I special?". I am sure there are numerous examples of the above but carriers don't ask for publicity....we just do it!

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 9 months ago

Got DPS as a rural carrier in Jan., 09. Have an LLV and love it. 35+ years with USPS. My beef--why is San Francisco plant running almost all carrier rt sort bundles of flats/magazines through the UFSM 100 machines? Trying to drive up numbers to keep their jobs? This is costing the USPS much money. And instead of being able to quickly case flats for delivery, I have to fight through helter-skelter helicopter flats. This borders on criminal activity, in the costs to the USPS. The Inspection Service should look into this. It's very disturbing to have to hand sort random sort Via Magazines that should have come in walking sort sequence. Heads should roll.

• Reply to: To Cut or Not to Cut: That's the Negotiating Question   5 years 9 months ago

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on this issue.

Joe and Skippy, thanks for your comments. People should be able to take action at whatever level (local or headquarters) is most efficent. Although I wonder if sometimes things that look inefficient at the local level are actually more efficient when looked at overall.

You make a good point Trust Me. Renegotiation should be done in a way that does not hurt the Postal Service's reputation.

Thanks for your comments. Free supplies are a really great benefit, but it is important to make sure customers use them appropriately.

I agree the Postal Service should use the best practices of private industry when negotiating.

Thank you for your comment. It's interesting to hear a supplier's perspective.

• Reply to: Preventing Workers’ Compensation Fraud   5 years 9 months ago

The Postal Service is just another form of welfare.
    Continue to hire individuals based on affirmative action instead of best qualified and this is what you get. Employee's who want a salary, don't want to work for it and know how to work the system.

• Reply to: Options for the Postal Service   5 years 9 months ago

In my office, I say go after the boss who is not working 8 hours a day. Leaves early at least 4 days a week.
    This is not fair pay and does not look good to the clerk who is told " clerk hours are only 6.50 hours a day".
    Ya, I say to myself, why do you leave early all the time!

As a contractor, I am willing to renegotiate to a point. My business and my ability to efficiently manage it is almost completely controlled by the USPS.
    Per the contract, I am told what I must pay employees per hour, the number of hours I must pay them for, (even if it takes less time to complete the job) the amount and kind of benefits that I must provide to each employee and the kind of uniforms that I must purchase and exactly what suppliers (only 3) that I can choose from. Yet they want me to renegotiate my costs downward without removing the "chains" in the contracts that "bind" me to it!

If management would allow me to operate my business based on market conditions and my own judgement, I most certainly could reduce costs and improve efficiency and in turn improve customer service to the USPS customers that I serve.

I'm affraid that as long as the bureaucrats are involved with operating the USPS, this will NEVER change and we WILL in the near future see the complete breakdown and failure of the USPS.

When the PS equalizes work-share discounts so that they are actually saving money instead of losing money, maybe it will be able to get out othe red. Until you grow a pair and stand up to the big mailers you will be nothing but their tools.

am a fsm 100 clerk in a major installation (once the leading flat processing section in the nation) and since the AI and ATHS upgrades we can't even get certified. processing is down by 40% a compeletly compentent machine has been destroyed. and believe me i know flat processing and the FSS will be an even bigger failure. follow the money graft has to involed somewhere

Cost saving negotiations are part of the reality of doing business in our current economic situation. Major customers of the USPS regularly meet with their suppliers and even demand a 3% or more documented cost reduction/savings or they threaten to take their business elsewhere. Now this can't be done in every situation, but it is the drum beat of a consistent message that Suppliers must work together to keep the customer viable or face facts, the contract will cease to exist if the customer can't pay the bills. From my experience, USPS has not even had a drum to beat in this arena. Private industry is far more aggressive in demanding these kind of documented contributions to the bottomline.

• Reply to: Leveraging Postal Service Purchasing Power to Generate Revenue   5 years 9 months ago

Whenever bundling occurs there is the opportunity for suppliers to add costs. Unbundling costs reduces pricing down to real costs and not inflated ones. Currently Suppliers of USPS products and services combine shipping and handling costs with the price of the item. My recommendation is that the shipping costs need to be unbundled and paid separately. If you asked UPS or FedEx suppliers how those two companies pay for their shipping costs for their own supplies you would see that they are paid separately and are not bundled. Our CAPS (Centralized Accounting Payment System) could be used to streamline payment for USPS shipping costs. From the Suppliers that I have worked with, they would be willing to use this option on their Supply Chain side, but their Sales Group is very reluctant because they will lose margins. Also, all USPS contracts need to limit the mark up allowed on products. A recent whistle blower from the DOD called out a midwest company for exceeding the limit of a 30% mark up, they indicated that the same was happpenning to USPS but we could not take action as no such limit exists in our contracts. Working together USPS Sales and Procurement can open doors and meet new contacts and leverage relationships to grow USPS revenue and reduce costs. Procurement should have a USPS Sales contact for every major contract that works directly with Procurement and the Supplier to maximize our revenue. Just that appearance of a partnership, sends the right message on the direction the Supplier relationship is going to take with USPS.

I am a letter carrier of over 22 years and I have just finished filling out the application for FERS early retirement (VER). I am nervous about taking this step as I am 54 and need to bridge the gap until I begin to receive the SSI supplemental at 56. Reading all your comments has helped me feel more at ease about this decision, I truly am sad to be leaving my route of 18 years but I have witnessed and experienced all that has been mentioned regarding the downfall of our service life via Management's folly. The USPS business model is unsound and there seems little that Postal Workers can do to effect a change in strategy. Frustration abounds. Asking carriers to just work harder, longer, faster, could be my 7 year old's business model. Even when management is shown by their own numbers how carriers can be more efficient working in safe but "unapproved" methods, they refuse to allow it. This has caused me/us to have ZERO faith in management's ability to guide us through these lean and changing times. I'll miss working with so many of my good brothers and sisters in mail, but it's time for me to go. Best of luck to you all, you DESERVE IT!

Mail volume down, the postal service should initiate a mail tax to be collected from business accepting payments online. They should reduce hours, combine routes, force central neighborhood delivery areas using apartment complex type boxes. one stop per neighborhood and then out.
    No Saturday mail. No union.

I couldn't have said it better myself. There are too many administrators making sure you are "IN COMPLIANCE" for stupid things like making sure a checklist is filled out, or your clerk recited the sale spiel word for word. Yet when you have a problem you get passed around like a hot potato.

Successful companies are run from the bottom up, not from the top down. We all know where the PS falls.

If an Ebayer is using Priority boxes, they are supposed to be charged the Priority rate, regardless of how they intend to send it. There have been plenty of inverted tyvek envelopes that I marked postage due because I know the shipper was trying to pull a fast one.

pretty good analogy

I agree with most everyone, especially Greg. What a joke on the T shirts. A total wate of money. And why are we spending money on the mystery shops. It can be done in house. It is just nonsense. Who are the people that are making these stupid decisions? Are they purposely trying to run the Postal Service into the ground, so they can justify closing post offices and cater only to the big mailers and coporations? just a thought. What happened to the actual purpose of the Postal Service? To provide service to our customers. And by the way do you know how much revenue is lost from the APCs, I would guess millions.

The USPS just spend over a million dollars on t-shirts for employees to wear to work on Wednesdays to help promote Priority Mail Flat rate shipping. What a waste of money. Who will see these shirts if employees only wear them to work?

• Reply to: Use of Industry Best Practices in Processing Parcels   5 years 9 months ago

If everyone stopped smoking at the post office, the
    company would save million$ of Greenbacks in health
    & welfare alone. Hundreds of thousands of work hours
    could be saved. And in my humble estimate, manager
    performance would be increased by 22%/per day.
    ie. they could help do some work instead of wasting
    time smoking. Sick leave could nearly be eliminated
    saving more ca$h. And my health would be better because
    I wouldn't have to work extra to make up the time
    they lose on smoke breaks, and my health would
    improve because I won't be breathing 2nd hand & 3rd hand smoke.