• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   1 month 2 weeks ago

Residential mail delivery in Fort Branch Indiana (47648) is unreliable. Yesterday I found somebody else's water/sewer bill wadded up in my mailbox. Such is not uncommon. I get somebody else's mail about every other week and neighbors bring mail to me about as often that was delivered to their house instead of mine.

I have told the local postmaster about this repeatedly with no improvement. The general response is that this can be expected because they are bringing in temp carriers from out of town.

I had always regarded the USPS as the most reliable delivery service available and I can understand unusual circumstances such as a truck crashing. However, the failure of people to ACTUALLY LOOK AT AND PAY ATTENTION TO what they are doing is not unreasonable.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

I am a newspaper publisher in Wisconsin. I have no problem if it takes another day or even two for my out-of-town newspapers to be delivered to my customers. What distresses me is customers saying they are receiving papers 2 or 3 weeks late, if at all. And the fact that the Post Office charges me for papers that are never received. If I treated my customers this way they would fire me. I know the U.S. Post Service is comprised of dedication, concientious people, but the operations/systems stink in terms of reliability and accountability.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

We are a weekly paper here in Southwest Wisconsin and have been having so much trouble with the postal service. We send our paper all over the US because we have customers that are "snowbird" (live in the south during the winter) and we had many concerns from them about not receiving their paper this entire winter. I know they are being sent out because we label each paper by hand. We have been in contact with our post office and others around the area and the major hub out of Milwaukee. I did have the problem solved for people out of the state not getting the paper, or so I thought, but now people in state and even in the same city are not getting their paper. Since our post office went through and became re-CASS certified, we have been in contact with them more to make sure our papers are getting to the right places. Like I said people in our town are not receiving the paper and currently others from out of the state are calling and staying they still haven't got their papers. I have a list of more than 50 customers who are fed up with paying for something they are not getting. We are losing subscriptions which then has us loosing money and when we finally get the situation figured out, I have to reimburse them a certain amount of weeks or months which also does not help with our money situation. Even when we send out our renewals or bills they get to people late and the bills are adding on overdue amounts. We are a smaller company and can not take hits like this when the cost of everything else (ink, paper, etc) is going up. We are working on getting our Postal Statements online but it is again difficult when our papers are going to the wrong places and our counts are not adding up. I just took over this position at the beginning of the year and that is when everything started to go downhill. I feel that I am doing a terrible job because I can't even get this figured out. I feel better knowing that there are others out there like me but I feel terrible know that there are others out there like me and having to deal with such difficulties. I do not understand the USPS system and have no right to really criticize them but this is ridiculous. I just hope and pray that this will be resolved so everything can go back to normal.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

Bad idea. As a business owner who depends on the prompt deliver of our newspaper to keep our customers happy, any reduction in standards will dramatically affect me and my business. As it is now I get calls on a weekly basis about papers not being delivered. I have one client that I have to take papers to because the post office refuses to deliver and then tries to charge us again for a return fee! Please consider the local newspapers before implementing these changes!

Jennifer Reed
    Managing Editor
    Raymore Journal

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

As the owner of a small community newspaper, I have seen the USPS service deteriorate to the point where i think you should rename it the United States Postal... because there really isn't much for service anymore.

My out of state subscribers regularly see their papers taking 2 weeks.

Many of my instate subscribers can take up to a week.

And yet our costs keep going up but service keeps getting worse. How does that work?

Luckily we have the Internet that we can now ship pdfs to our subscribers that desire their paper sooner.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

As newspapers who use the mail for delivery, we are already not getting the service we are paying for each week. Unfortunately, it has become routine for it to take two to three days for a paper to be delivered to a neighboring community 12 miles away.
    This can all be traced back to consolidation of mail processing centers.
    Periodicals are supposed be given the same priority as first class mail.
    Oh wait, that's being slowed down even more.
    We will all lose subscribers that we can't afford to drive the papers to the destination delivery post office.

• Reply to: Zip Into the Future   1 month 2 weeks ago

I recently read an item that states the the formatting of addresses on envelopes is going to change in 2016. Part of the change is that the zip code will b 5+4+9. The "9" represents the addition of the individuals social security number. Please advise if this information is correct. Will the zip code in the near future require the personal social security number of the persons the envelope is addressed to or is this some kin of hoax that is being circulate. Thank you

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 month 2 weeks ago

The self-service kiosk has worked for me when I've tried it, but I'm frequently shipping eBay items and have already bought postage through there. I use the clerk to accept my packages so I can be sure the tracking number is activated.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

Our newspaper has seen a drastic drop in mail delivery and service. Newspapers delivered in the local market surrounding our drop zone take 3-4 days to be delivered when in the recent past, they were delivered the next day. Our paper is dropped at our local Post Office in Louisville, OH. Picked up by the Canton, OH office, driven to Akron, OH, then transferred to Cleveland, OH to be returned to Canton for delivery to all the local cities. Not only has the delivery times been lengthened to 4 delivery days, we are receiving at least 10 calls/week for papers not received at all. This is out of our small circulation of 1700. I am confident that the minimum 10 calls/week is only a small amount of papers not being received as not all customers call to complain. We have lost at least 20-30 subscribers due to lack of delivery and the customer has given up on subscribing. As a small business, we cannot afford to continue to lose subscribers due to the Post Offices failure to provide the service for which we dearly pay. In fact when one of our customers was directed to the Cleveland Customer Service phone number, she was told by the agent in Cleveland that, "they should consider finding another way to deliver the paper. " Rather concerning when the Post Office employee tells a customer that the publisher should find another delivery agent.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

I just received a call from subscriber that just today (April 3) received his Springs Valley Herald mailed March 11 (sent from French Lick, In.) to Shoals In. just 25 miles away (over 3 weeks for 25 miles). Of course I am going to lose this subscriber because they can not accept that delivery time. This is not an isolated case, we get these calls almost daily from all over the country. We also get a lot of calls stating they do not gat a paper for 3 or 4 weeks, then they get 3 or 4 papers in the mail the same day. which means the papers are being delayed at some point and then delivered all at the same time. Of course we are losing subscribers and there is not much we can do except try to get them to our website, but they insist they want the paper. I spend a huge amount of money with the USPS every year and the service declines every year, they may force me to look at other alternatives if things do not get better. Are experience in the past with contacting customer service is. You usually get a answering machine with a promise someone will call you back which rarely happens. We have waited months in the past for tracking papers to get back to us. The local Post Offices do a good job of delivery of our product and responding to our concerns, if it is something they are authorized to handle, but it is a real mess after it leaves the local offices, it seems the mail gets in these distribution centers and gets misplaced for days I understand the USPS is going thru a very tough transition, but so are we as a newspaper, and we are striving very hard to give are readers more and better service, not less.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

at the rocky mount nc p&df we use to handle most of the mail from I-95 to Elizabeth city.now all the mail goes to Raleigh for processing,but wait!raleigh can not handle all the mail,so...they send it to Greensboro.there is no one in this world can convince me this is cost effective.as an mm I do mail searches in the dbcs.i find mail every day going and coming to the same town that is postmarked 3 to 5 days previously..we are cutting our own throats

• Reply to: Reducing the Number of Prices   1 month 2 weeks ago

it's indexed and might be beneficial for a newbie. or someone with a disability because it's all spelled out. unfortunate for the customer because they might have a longer wait time.

• Reply to: Show Me the Money   1 month 2 weeks ago

this article--in reference to a closing facility. it's overtly negative and single sided, even if its' true...

• Reply to: Keepin’ It Simple?   1 month 2 weeks ago

this clarified something. i thought they -clerks- enter the zip code and weight and then derive the price. similar to calculating postage online... i bet this could get confusing especially with software glitches and slow connections... Yikes

• Reply to: What service is most important to you?   1 month 2 weeks ago

the post office transparency.. tell us what does non-career and casual staff do... can the post office rent out their space for other activity. using some type of metric for percent fails..

• Reply to: Growing Body, Shrinking Footprint   1 month 2 weeks ago

hybrid vehicles have minimized some of this. plus many have their parcel packages delivered to their work. where one would assume is busy and the route could not be eliminated. people who have po boxes. keeps home delivery to a minimum.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

Are these numbers inflated? Are they consolidating across the time zones or just in one distinct area? Tell us more about service standards, in particular how they are going to be improved? Will you guys be emailing or admailing some of my mail? Can other people (not mail carriers) drop off my mail? Is the overnight service to accommodate "international" mail? Are male "packages" included in the products or services?

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 weeks ago

The manner in which newspaper mailers are required to prepare their mailings adds to the delay of the newspapers. In the "good old days" newspapers were placed in brown bags that were easily identified as the important mail that they were. Now they are simply put in the same 'ole white bag as the cheap stuff but with a pink label to identify their importance. The brown bags are no longer used. As the bags of newspapers leave the local offices where they are mailed and reach the "consolidated networks" (of which I am honestly a fan if it is done correctly), the tiny pink labels of one quarter inch by two inches (maybe?) are overshadowed by the giant white bags that may contain just a few newspapers. Why just a few? Because Postal regulations require them to be sorted into TOO MANY sacks---too many sacks that cost the mailer time, cost the bulk mail unit time, cost transportation time, and get lost in the shuffle with their tiny pink tags time. Oh but I digress, what do they get lost with? The standard mail that costs so much less to mail that is in the identical sacks. My solution to most ALL the problems with delayed newspapers on this blog---easy---two parts---change the bundling requirements for periodical mailers, requiring more per bundle and next place small numbers of newspapers into TUBS--NOT SACKS so they are easily identified and not mixed with standard mail. If standard mail is allowed in a tub, why not a periodical? The bundling requirement alone will save the Postal Service money on bulk mail verification. Ask any BMEU clerk, or me I was responsible for the audits.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Afford Alaska Bypass?   1 month 2 weeks ago

Well said. ^ I went to the northern eat university in the U.S. and what he is saying is true.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

Increase revenue as well as public service by initiating a secure email transmission service that would stand in the place of certified mail. Senders can attached scanned copies of secure documents to email, Postal service would transmit the document to the addressee either by email or by possibly by printing the document an delivering in paper format.

Postal Service appears to see internet email as a competition but it is an opportunity if it were employed as a secure guaranteed communication service. It is technically feasible to transmit email to an account holder and be able to confirm that the mail was not only received but was opened.

Courts recognize that Certified Mail, when sent to an addressee and then returned for non-acceptance constitutes 'Constructive Accpetance' and thereby obligates the addressee to be liable for the knowledge contained in the document. That quality of 'Constructive Acceptance' has not yet been (as far as I know) recognized for general email on the internet, but that could be achieved if the Postal Service provided an email account system that would provided the level of guarantees obtained via regular certified mail and regular registered mail. The cost for delivery and confirmation would be dramatically reduced since handling physical documents would not be needed.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

This is the time for change. Let's unite and ship with joy. Don't be ashamed. Read my blog if you like it.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Monitor Packaging Supplies?   1 month 3 weeks ago

Are you kidding me on this blog? You can't even get the danged packages DELIVERED in a TIMELY FASHION, even when the correct boxes are used. Worry not about this. Go back to basics and just do the job you are obviously overpaid for.

As I sit with yet another one of my packages stuck in another sorting center...2 weeks overdue.... sheesh

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 weeks ago

We publish two weekly newspapers in Hancock County Maine and mail approximately 7,300 newspapers each week. Of the 7,300, over 2,300 are mailed out of state.

Timely newspaper delivery has been an ongoing problem for us for years, mostly with out of state delivery. In county delivery for the most part is reliable. We have started receiving reports of late delivery in other Maine counties in the past few months. Newspapers that used to arrive on Thursday or Friday are now arriving on Saturday or Monday. The problems with out of state delivery run the gamut: consistently 3 weeks late to Maryland and Florida, 6-8 weeks late in NJ, receiving February 13 and March 13 issues on the same day, erratic delivery, receiving later published papers before earlier ones, and on and on. A subscriber in New Jersey tells us that years ago he received his American on Saturdays. Then it became Monday and now it takes a week or longer. For us, the two worst states for delivery are Florida and New Jersey.

We have lost many long time subscribers due to poor delivery. Subscribers are very loyal and love their Ellsworth Americans but they often tell us that news three weeks late is not news. They are correct. It is not news. The Postal Service is slowly killing off our out of state subscriptions. Will in-state be next?

• Reply to: Meter Mail Refunds: “Is There A Better Way?”   1 month 3 weeks ago

IM SORRY TO ADVISE YOU THAT EVEN THOUGH, THIS IS AN AURTHORIZE REFUND NOTICE STRAIGHT FROM WASHINGTON DC, HERE IN SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA USPS MAIN BRANCH, 1300 EVAN ST 94124.
    HEAD OF RETAIL MARIA WOODARD, PURPOSELY DEVIATES FROM POST MASTER GENERALS AURTHORIZED NOTICES FOR POSTAGE METER REFUNDS. WE DEAL WITH NEOPOST , NEOPOST IS 1 OUT OF 4 AURTHORIZED USPS SERVICERS, I WENT TWICE TO REQUEST A REFUND FROM MY LOCAL USPS ON 211 LANE ST SF CA 94124, ANGELICA SUPERVISOR, SWORE UP AND DOWN FOR THE 20 PLUS YEARS SHE HAS WORKED USPS, NOT ONCE DID THEY ALLOW METER POS. REFUNDS, I HAD TO DO IT ONLINE, SHE WOULDNT EVEN CONSIDER TO READ THE CURRENT USPS REFUND POLICY ON METERED POS. REFUNDS. I THEN TOOK IT TO A HIGHER LEVEL, 1300 EVANS ST SAN FRANCISCO CA 94124 MRS M WOODARD, STATED, THAT YES THEY REFUND METERED POS, AND SHE DOESNT KNOW WHY ANGELICA DIDNT DO IT, AND SHE WAS GONNA CALL HER AND AND AUTHORIZE MY REFUND. MRS. WOODARD THEN CAME OUT AND DIRECTED ME BACK DOWN TO LANE ST USPS TO RECIEVE MY REFUND THAT SHE APPROVED. BUT, SHE THEN PULLS OUT AN UNPAID CHECK FROM US AND DEMANDS TO COLLECT PAYMENT, I TOLD HER WAIT A MIN. WE MAY HAVE OVERLOOKED IT AND ISNT THERE OTHER WAYS TO HANDLE THIS BESIDES HUMILIATING US IN FRONT OF PEOPLE ? WE ASSUMED ALL CHECKS CLEARED, WE NEVER RECEIVED NOTICE THAT IT DIDNT GO THRU. IT IS A POLICY ABOUT HOW TO HANDLE THESE THINGS INSTEAD OF THE UNPROFESSIONAL WAY MRS WOODARD DID. SHE SHOOK HER HEAD AND WALKED AWAY... WE THEN WENT BACK DOWN TO USPS ON LANE ST AND BEING JUSTIFIED BY MRS WOODARD APPROVAL FOR MY REFUND, WITH ASSURANCE, I ONCE AGAIN REQUESTED MY REFUND WITH ALL PROPER DOCUMENTS, AND ANGELICA SAYS, OH YOUR HERE FOR THE REFUND , IT WAS AURTHORIZED, BUT FOR SOME REASON SHE CALLED BACK AND RECINDED HER AURTHORIZATION. I ASKED WHY ? SHE SAID , I DONT KNOW?..

FROM THAT DAY ON I HAD TO GO TO DIFFERENT LOCATOINS, RESEARCH REFUNDS PROCEEDURES....SOME USPS PROCESSED THE REFUND NO PROBLEM, SOME REFUSED THE POLICY, ODD? THEN A NOTICE WAS POSTED NOT TO REFUND NEOPOST PVI POSTAGE... USPS RETAIL CLERKS CLAIMS NEOPOST IS NOT A SERVICER OF USPS... MIND YOU, THIS NOTICE WAS NOT AUTHORIZED BY THE POST MASTER GENERAL OFFICE IN, WASH. DC, AS THIS ONE ABOVE IS...

EVEN WITH THE CURRENT AUDIT DONE ON RETAIL /CUSTOMER SERVICE,WAS NOT GOOD, YOU THINK USPS WORKERS WOULD BRUSH UP ON CUSTOMER SERVICE... AND DO BETTER. MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS WHOLE SITUATION, CAN MAKE ME RICH.... I HAVE DEALT WITH 8 DIFFERENT LOCATION, 1600 BRYANT ST USPS SF CA, TOLD ME TO COME BACK MONDAY WHEN A SUPERVISOR THERE, WHEN I WENT BACK THEY SAID NO SUPERVISOR... I WENT TO USPS ON S VAN NESS ST SF CA, AND USPS MANAGER BEN, TOLD ME THAT THEY LIED TO ME THAT THE USPS SUPERVISOR DAVID, WAS THERE HE JUST SPOKE WITH HIM ON THE PHONE, HE CALLED S VAN NESS USPS AND TOLD BEN NOT TO SERVICE ME AND TO BEWARE OF MY COMING THERE, I ASKED BEN WHY WOULD THEY LIE, HE SAID, I DONT KNOW, BUT FOR ME TO GO BACK THERE AND LET THEM KNOW BEN SAID THEY LIED TO YOU...I WENT BACK AND ASKED SEVERAL TIMES TO SPEAK WITH DAVID, I ASKED THE CLERK WHY, SHE LIED ABOUT IT WHEN I FIRST CAME SHE YELLS AND SAID YOU ASKED IF MY SUPERVISOR HERE I SAID NO. I ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR...THAN THE ASIAN CLERK YELLS, DAVID NO COME OUT TILL POLICE COME, WE CALLED POLICE, DAVID WAITING FOR POLICE.... I SAID, WOW, ALL I ASKED....BI WAITED FOR DAVID AND THE POLICE BUT 30 MIN. LATER DAVID COMES OUT AND A LADY TOLD HIM THAT THEY SHOULD HELP ME, HE TOLD HER THAT I WAS A FRAUD CASE, SHE SAID , I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT BUT, YOU SHOULD STILL HELP HER, DAVID DIDNT KNOW UT BUT MY COWORKER STANDING BESIDE THAT LADY AND OVER HEARD THE WHOLE THING. I GAVE DAVID ALL VALID DOCUMENTS HE WENT TO VERIFY IT , I CALLED NEOPOST TO LET THE KNOW IM HAVING DIFFICULTIES WITH POLICY AND DAVID COMES OUT AND SAID USPS HAS NOT EVER DEALT WTIH NEOPOST, NOT KNOW MY NEOPOST ACCOUNT AGENT WAS ON THE PHONE AND HEARD A USPS SUPERVISOR CLAIM NEOPOST IS NOT A USPS SERVICER . MY ACCOUNT MANAGER FOR NEOPOST AGREED IF I NEEDED A STATEMENT FROM HIM, HE WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP. THE VERY NEXT DAY A MEMO WENT OUT...DO NOT REFUND NEOPOST P VI...AND STILL REFUND POLICY STATES THE SAME AS ABOVE... I GUESS USPS WORKERS I SF CA ARE EXEMPT TO USPS EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK AND POLICIES. FROM POST MASTER GENERAL WASH. DC..THEY MAKE THEIR OWN RULES OF EMPLOYEE CONDUCT AND REFUND POLICY HERE IN SF CA 94124. ALL I WANTED WAS STAMPS IN LIEU OF CASH REFUND... AND NOW I COULD PROBABLY OWN HALF OF USPS..LOL

PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PERSONAL OPINIONS DO NOT GO TOGETHER ,HOW YOU CONDUCT BUSINESS ON SOMEONE ELSES EXPENSE , NEEDS TO ALWAYS BE PROFESSIONAL. NO MATTER HOW CRITICAL OR FRUSTRATING THE CUSTOMER MAY BE, YOU IN UNIFORM NEED TO BE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE LEVEL OF PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE.,.LEAVE YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS AT HOME... I BROUGHT AND PRESENTED ALL THE PROPER DOC, THAT I NEEDED TO REQUEST A REFUND AND PRESENTED IT ORGANIZED AND NEAT... LACKED NOTHING .... AND FOR NO VALID REASON, I WAS REFUSED ONLY BECAUSE NEOPOST IS NOT A USPS SERVICER, ATLEAST NOT IN SAN FRANCISCO CA...

• Reply to: Revenue Protection   1 month 3 weeks ago

As stated by Parlament, short paid, and reuse of stamps should become a facet in employees everyday work, sorting wail. A great way to bill these identified mailings, are to have scannable package labels of which they can bill the sender for shortage paid in postage.