• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 6 days ago

These are assets of the entire government pension fund and the amount mentioned is just an allocation attributed to the postal service. The entire fund is in much worse shape because the other agencies were not actually funding at the same rate. This is a multi-employer (all gov't agencies in the same pot) plan. Also when the Treasury comes up against the debt limit it borrows this money to stretch out the day it will run out of funds.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 6 days ago

The source is the OIG inflating the purchase price at 3% per year because that is the return that they expect on investment real estate.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 6 days ago

Hello,

Please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs office at (704) 424-4422 or (404) 765-7702, so they can look further into this matter for you.

As well, if you still would like to file a complaint with our offices, you can do so on our hotline at www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form and we can forward your issue to the appropriate department.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 6 days ago

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for contacting our offices and we apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced so far. The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS).

Please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs office at 1-800-275-8777 so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: Ideas on the Doorstep   2 months 6 days ago

Hello Paula,

Please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs office, which is separate from the customer service line, at (253) 214-1800 so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   2 months 6 days ago

Hello Barbara,

Please contact the Postal Service Consumer Affairs office, who specializes in matters such as this, at 1-800-275-8777 so they can look further into this matter for you.

Hello Kola,

Thank you for contacting our offices and we truly apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced so far. The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS). Unfortunately, this issue does not fall within our jurisdiction.

Please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs office, which is separate from the customer service line, at 1-800-275-8777 so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 6 days ago

I have filed a complaint pertaining to that tracking number and apparently it fell on deaf ears so I filed a few more HQ121647519, HQ121718708, HQ121718996, HQ121719138, HQ121719428, HQ121719267, HQ121719727 and still not even an acknowledgement they were received.

• Reply to: The Bill is (Still) in the Mail   2 months 6 days ago

Hello Dee,

However, please contact the Postal Service Consumer Affairs office at 1-800-275-8777 so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: “Return to Sender” Returns Interesting Results   2 months 6 days ago

Hello Neek,

Hello Brian,

Thank you for contacting our offices and we truly apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced so far. The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS). Unfortunately, this issue does not fall within the jurisdiction of our office.

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 6 days ago

Hello Eden,

Thank you for contacting our offices and notifying us of your inconvenience.

In a situation such as this, please file a complaint with our offices at www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form or by calling 1-888-877-7644. By calling or filing a complaint, you formally give us the critical information needed to look further into this matter and move your complaint to the right department.

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 6 days ago

I would be glad to give you another chance right here and now tracking number 9463009699939646177854 has been out for delivery since the 9th of February, can't get any information on its whereabouts. The recipient wants their 250.00 refunded and if I refund the money and USPS delivers the package tomorrow I have no recourse. I am then out the item, my money and any chance for reimbursement through a claim. Not only are you costing me income, sales, time and energy but every time a buyer opens a case because they didn't get their item that goes against me as a seller (even if its not my fault it shows that a case was opened against me) so my reputation is at stake here also and nobody seems to take any of this seriously. Insurance claims can't be filed until 15 days have passed since it was mailed and do you have any idea how long it takes them to approve a claim and the hoops they make you jump through? I have had one previous claim for a 250.00 pair of shoes I sent priority mail. I made the mistake of not insuring the package because I never thought you guys would lose it but after having my claim denied and going through the appeal process it took over 2 months to get 50.00 plus the postage back. I have one more day before I can re file the 500.00 claim and at least 4 before I can file the 250.00 claim that is a lot of money to have to wait 60+ days to be reimbursed and treated like I'm the one who did something wrong through the entire process. I would love for someone to show me not tell me the USPS will fix what they screw up.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   2 months 1 week ago

I find it interesting that the only two comments that were replied to by the Office of Inspector General happen to be outgoing shipments. There have been no replies to people who wonder why their incoming shipments sit and sit and sit at Postal Service International Sort Centers here in the US. Perhaps they ought to just rename them USPS Black Holes. I myself have a package that's been sitting at one in New York for six days now. If you call any 800-number, you get into a loop, because putting in the country of origin tracking number results in the USPS system telling you it doesn't recognize the tracking number. Meanwhile, you can put it in on the USPS system online, and it tells you that it has been "processed through the USPS ISC New York".

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

USPS Real Estate holdings comprise far more than just a Post Office building. For instance, the Processing Plants. There were more than 400 that were active. Some are being closed now. These buildings have hundreds of thousands of square feet of open space that someone could be interested in having. There is also a great deal of vacant property that was purchased in anticipation of building that never happened. These properties are concentrated on Industrial areas where land is at a premium.

Always bear in mind that there is much more in the background of the picture you see from the outside.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

Please, find some way of making Congressmen understand this. This over funding is basically an interest free loan that Congress will use for pork in their own districts. The USPS just reported a net loss, which would be a profit if they didn't consider this debt no other business is forced to pay.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 1 week ago

Amen to that!!!!!!!!

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 1 week ago

I have shipped 4 packages since the 6th of February and three of the 4 were lost. I tried on my own to contact the last post offices on the tracking info to try and track them down myself, you can't get through to a human being if your life depended on it. So I filed a complaint with the Postal Inspector for each package E. Collins was assigned one of them and he was told by the Delivery Supervisor that he believed there was a problem with the address label which made it undeliverable but he would stay on top of it till it was delivered or returned to me. The next morning I got an email from the recipient it was delivered. The second package was a priority mail and was to be delivered two days after it was mailed according to the tracking info the day after it was to be delivered the status changed to package delayed with a delivery date of 2 days later. When the package was finally delivered the box was empty other than a form to be filled out and faxed to the mail recovery department it clearly states on the form the search for your item could take 90 days to complete and there will be no updates and they will only contact you if they need additional information. I refunded the recipient her 540.00 dollars and proceeded to file my claim (which I found out you must wait 15 days to do) I found this out not from the claims page but from the person assigned to the complaint I filed. She offered to contact the mail recovery on my behalf. Why would I want the mishandled item back I'm sure its not in the condition it was shipped. My third package has said out for delivery since the 9th on which I filed a complaint and received an email acknowledgement that they received it and within 3 business days I would either have a response or a resolution, it is the 13th and I have received neither. Yesterday I made the unfortunate mistake of calling customer service to see if I could find out something to tell the recipient who by the way wants their 250.00 refunded. The person I spoke to was making things up and her accent was so strong I couldn't understand a lot of what she was saying I did understand when she said the package will be delivered today. I said oh really so your tracking information is not reliable then, is that correct? She said it is reliable, but it says the package was to be delivered on the 9th and it has been out for delivery ever since. She then tried to back pedal and I asked to speak to a supervisor 1 hour 3 minutes and 54 seconds she came back on the phone trying to act like the supervisor and informed me I would just have to wait to be contacted by whoever is handling the complaint I filed. TODAY still not hearing from anyone I tried calling customer service again and could not get past the automated system so I said I wanted to speak to the Postal Inspector and I was transferred I told whoever answered briefly what was going on and was transferred again to Raul who informed me that all systems had been down since yesterday and to try back later or Tuesday.

I am not satisfied with my service as a USPS customer
    Eden M Randolph

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

I agree entirely with your comments. This pre-funding nonsense is the causative reason for plant closings and degradation of services. Now, if we could only get the congress to rescind this illogical mandate the postal service could get busy updating its facilities, vehicles and services. I am a retired postal service employee and I depend on the service to deliver my bills, magazines, hobby supplies and yes I even enjoy bulk business mail. No telling what offers may entice me.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

I would like to see the actual account the usps prefunding payments go to. The usps portion of the balance that currently exists. And whether our govt has withdrawn any of the usps funds to make up their own under funded obligations in politician, irs etc..retirements & healthcare, military, etc.... If the usps has paid $335b into this fund, is it still there?

RR050826465NG has been sitting in ISC New York for a while now. It's a very urgent package that needs to get to me as soon as possible.
    Please help me!

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

The assumption has also been that the government as a whole borrows from this fund, is this true? Second, if they have as much money in these funds now shouldn't they be making considerable amounts of interest ? helping accelerate the funding? And of course the unable to prove theory is that the Bush administration started this in an effort to bankrupt the PO and thusly cancel union contracts and privatize.
    Thanks

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 1 week ago

Eden I am so sorry you have had such awful experiences with the USPS. I am a 28 yr veteran with the Post Office so I know we do have some problems. Honestly you may find it hard to believe but we do deliver most packages in a timely manner. Our internet at work was down for 2 days Friday when I left (don't know what is going on with that!) I was using my phone to help customers track their packages. Please do file your insurance claims. Again I am personally sorry for all the inconveniences you have suffered. Please give us another chance to show you we can and do deliver for you.
    Cyndi
    Postal Clerk for 28 years

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

if the purpose of the pre-funding of future retiree health benefits was a legitimate concern it might be possible to excuse the current situation, because there would be an immediate push to correct it by those who created the mess. The fact that years into the "manufactured financial crisis" the problem still remains indicates that there most probably was another agenda at work. The damage to the Postal Service has been immense. The recent change in the service standards and the proposed plant consolidations are devastating mistakes. The sole impetus to make those changes were the overfunding. Where is the White House on this? Where are the Postal Board of Governors? Were is the PRC?
    And where is Congress? If they fail to act soon, it might be concluded that they are serving other interests than what's best for the American people who need and deserve a functioning Postal Service.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 week ago

There is no sensible theory which suggests that the Post Office needs to have its pension and health liabilities fully funded 75 years in advance.

This was, and continues to be, the primary means of strangling the public Post Office, creating the demand for privatization because the Post Office is not "fiscally viable."

Fortunately, enough people are seeing through these charades and financial voodoo that this may not come to pass. But continued analysis by the Inspector General is critical to being able to shed light on these attempts to destroy the Postal Service. Continue the good work!