• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I think that with all the technology and the way things are printed, this is an intentional act by postal employee. I worked in the printing industry for a number of years, and for only a few to end up upright is very difficult. Off set of printing plates does happen when the registry does not a line. But with computer alignment it is hard.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

1. Re the upright Jenney stamp: Deliberately creating scarcity or rarity is a fraud and diminishes the role of stamp issuance and the hobby of stamp collecting. It is a more despicable marketing tool than I've seen from the USPS in a
    long time.

2. The above is symptomatic of the U.S. Post Office and it's offspring, the U.S. Postal Service. The number of issues is
    excessive and does not seem to be driven by postal need. Commemorative stamps ought to commemorate something of
    significance to our Society. They no longer do so in my view. The situation with definitives is even more obscene. The USPS is issuing multiple varieties of the same design - for instance the U.S. flag issues - with different perforations, different gums or adhesives, different printing firms, shades, colors et cetera that have no honest postal purpose other than to "fleece" the collector. Why do we need a flock of new definitives every year? Why do we need definitive stamp issues with more values that the IRS code has pages? Maybe this is one of the reasons why youngsters aren't taking up philately as a hobby.

3. The appearance of live persons on U.S. stamps violates a long term policy regarding stamp issuance and serves no legitimate purpose. Why are there Harry Potter stamps? If popularity is your guideline, why not issue stamps honoring cocaine or heroin to use an argumentum ad absurdum?

3. The upshot is that I quit collecting late 20th and early 21st century U.S. stamps since in the words of the Scott
    catalogues from years ago, they are not issued for valid postage purposes. After collecting U.S. stamps for 68 years,
    you've lost me. Try not to turn off the youngsters.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

The inverted Jenny is another example of "wallpaper" that turned off collectors of postage stamps. I've been a collector for 60 years. I stopped buying new issues years ago because there are so many and don't commemorate anything. They are just WALLPAPER. The Post office would save millions of dollars if they would get out of the business of trying to print stamps that they think collectors would buy and then end up destroying them. They are turning off collectors instead of creating new ones.
    Thank you.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

The idea of the inverted Jenny issue, in and of itself, was a wonderful idea. Where the USPS went astray was in the creation of the 100 panes of the "uninverted" stamp and then really left the reservation with their announcement of how it would be distributed and made available.

With the announcement of the 100 panes of the uninverted stamp, the USPS stated they had ALL been randomly inserted throughout the entire run of the regular issues, that they had gone to the point of masking the identity of the stamps through the use of sealed cellophane wrapped around plain cardboard to ensure no one would be able to have any advantage over another and to make this an entirely random process. Just like many other collectors, I've purchased many panes (around 70 to date) in the hopes of receiving one of the elusive right-side up panes.

Unfortunately, this was a sham. After reading the excerpts from the UPS IG report in the philatelic press, I came to the sad realization that I had been duped. Granted, that while under the guise of the original explanation of this distribution I may have never had much - if any - chance of receiving one of these panes, the sad reality was that the REAL distribution made this a literal hunt for a needle in a haystack. I started to question the veracity of the distribution when all over sudden three panes were given away to randomly selected customers. I had asked myself "How was it that someone in the USPS could possibly know where to find one - let alone three - panes if they were ALL randomly distributed in completely unidentifiable packaging?" Now, we all know the truth. There was a token random distribution, but the USPS knew where a great number of these panes were at all times. Fortunately for myself, I had a way of using the stamps I had purchased in excess of what I needed for my collection. Still, this was just wrong.

I find the way the USPS went about this to be very disheartening. As a life-long stamp collector, I feel abused by the very entity who produces the product I collect. It is not a pleasant feeling. Had I, or any other private citizen, conducted a scam of this magnitude we would be facing criminal prosecution for fraud (at the least) and would have been publicly denounced in the press. This is one of the largest governmental groups, and yes, I know the USPS is a quasi-governmental group. The whole affair will be quietly buried in bureaucratic red tape with investigations and reports and analyses of the investigations and reports and further reports on these reports, with the end result being that the process of getting to the bottom of it will become so mired in the bureaucracy's system that sufficient time will pass, interest will wane and little, if anything, will ever come from it.

What does this mean for me? It means I've lost confidence in the USPS. It means that for me another government agency has betrayed the public trust. It means that an agency which has wailed at how they are struggling financially for so long has wasted the manpower, the brain trust and the goodwill on this failed venture when they could have been addressing more pressing issues.

If the USPS wanted to increase revenue and cut costs, try putting stamps in post offices. I have noticed a trend to limit the availability of postage stamps in post offices with some which almost never have anything recently issued ever available.

Let's take this a step further. Why not STAMPS ONLY? I understand the draw of computerization, but the USPS is costing itself a fortune with two systems. There are the stamps which have already been printed and delivered to the USPS. Why do they need meters? This second system requires the machinery to print the meters, which in turn, means they will need maintenance, repair, ink, paper and eventual replacement as the government constantly chases the latest technologies. Think how much could be saved if one or the other system was eliminated.

If the USPS were to eliminate stamps, there would probably be an outcry from the public, and a rather significant source of revenue would be forever lost. The amount of money in collections of stamps which were purchased from the USPS and the USPOD is staggering. On the other hand, if the meters were eliminated and only stamps used, it will slow the customer service some, but the added revenue as people keep a few of the stamps they purchase, as a few more become collectors, and the fact that the images created for the stamps would continue to serve their extrinsic purposes would offset the slower lobby times. If the figures for decreased first class mail are correct, this should not be such a major problem. The other saving would come from the costs associated with the maintenance of the meter machines and the supplies necessary to feed them.

Thank you for providing a forum which allows us all to vent our frustration and outrage with the way in which the inverted Jenny was handled. I look forward to following the progress of your office's inquiry into the matter. Perhaps, for once, I could be pleasantly surprised with what the outcome is.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   6 days 5 hours ago

Hi there me again,I sent a little something earlier.I agree with this person here,I get my medicine and other Important things in the Mail also.I DONT anyone but ME and the Postal Carrier in y Mail Box Either.But for a long time now My Box and many others have been Broken into and ROBBED our Mail from our Mail Boxes.When is this going to STOP When is the Post Office going to something about this?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I think it was a brilliant idea. In my opinion, those doing the complaining are probably capable of paying large sums for highly desirable material and are just pissed because they couldn't buy outright for resale. And the marketing was great. After I learned of the right side planes, I went out and purchased another 6 sheets. Just what you hoped for. I'm guessing the majority of collectors, those whose pockets are not that deep, are quite happy with the program.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I initially purchased 3 sheets of the upside down airplane stamp from the Kansas City philatelic distribution center in hopes of getting one of the 100 panes. Now I know I never had a chance of getting the rare pane as they were never distributed from the KC center. I have no use for $2 stamps and feel I was taken or scammed. I have been slowly using the stamps on 1st class mail overpaying the rate by 4. I feel I should get a refund of $1.51 for every stamp I bought.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   6 days 5 hours ago

Hi There thank you for being here for us sirs.Say one little thing I think you should know about.I live in Moreno Valley Calif.My mail box has been ROBBED broken into many many times,Not only mine BUT others also,The Mail Box is in front of my House right by my Driveway.They use a crowbar or something to that affect to break into the Boxes here.It has been going on for a very long time now.And I and others here in my area are really tired of getting our mail STOLEN.I and others here have Called the Moreno Valley Post Office to report it.They DONT do a thing about it.They say Call the Local Police we call them and they say call the POST OFFICE OK?The Post Office have Postal Police right?Postal Inspectors right?They sit up there in there air conditioned area looking at and watching the Postal Workers right?The Post Office WONT fix the Mail Boxes Broken into,They say it is our Fault it happened.We have to put New locks on the Mail Boxes ourselves.Way Dont the Postal Inspectors get Off there BUTTS and come and check on this PROBLEM?I Know they are there because I went to the F.L.E.T.C. Training center the same as they did ok?Only I was a Customs Inspector.PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SOON.A very concerned person.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I agree that gifts should NOT be allowed. I feel that the inverted Jenny helped the Post Office and stirred interest in stamp collecting and could be done again in the future.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

The "Upright Jenny" has now reduced The US to the level of the Sand Dune Countries or the blocked issues of the German Democratic Republic. Intentionally creating errors puts a big stigma on the USPS. Not only in violation of internal rules, this lowers the respect of the worldwide philatelic community.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

The issue originally was overpriced, resulting (I think) in suppressed sales. Hiding the right-side-up panes may have increased sales (I bought more), but irritated those of us who are "completists". Having all the current issues is now virtually impossible unless you have $50.000 laying around - I don't.
    The curious thing is that the general public (at least those I know) seemed unaware of the panes (unless they visited a post office with a poster hanging somewhere) and even more unaware of the "error" panes.
    Regarding the types of activities that would enhance the philatelic program: I like the idea of reproducing old postage stamps, but assigning them values that have no relationship to rates makes them uninteresting to the public.
    Years ago, I worked with our local post office to visit elementary schools where presentations were made to young children about stamps, letters, and the concept of communicating with family and friends. I think that such a program would still be valuable even in the age of twitter, etc.
    Instead of just advertising package services, include information in your ads about new stamps.

Thanks for asking.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

Have collected stamps for 60 years and find these "lottery program" efforts ill conceived. As previously suggested, these are not real rarities but contrivances promoted to separate collectors from their money. If you want to promote the hobby and, hence sell more stamps to collectors, produce stamps with a high caliber art and perceive engraved features.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I bought 100s of the Jenny invert panes online from the Postal Service, but it now seems that there was NO chance of getting an upright pane. I feel cheated.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

Years ago we had Farleys follies and this is just another abuse of the printing process. It is unfathomable that she would have the stamps printed and then split up and stuck in a bunch of sheets printed correctly. This is tantamount to outright fraud. One has to wonder how many other stamps are printed with errors and kept by employees and officials to gain a substantial increase in the price and sell them through dealers. How many first day covers were made with the errors? Reissue the errors and have a great number of them back dated to eliminate the financial advantage that some collectors and dealers have gained.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

It should not be the job of USPS to influence the market! Your answer demonstrates the wrong thinking that pervades the philatelic services of USPS. It is your job to create meaningful and beautiful stamps, and to serve the philatelic community, not to influence the market for intentionally created rarities. This must stop!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

The extremely rare upright then inverted Jenny created by USPS should be corrected like the Legends of the West error was corrected. Why the top 50 markets? That excluded many outlets. I have an almost complete collection of United States stamps issued as intended and have no hope of ever getting one of the rarities that you created. You should print a significant number of additional upright then inverted Jennys and make them available by lottery.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

This issue was and is nothing but a rip-off to collectors. I am a stamp dealer and have heard nothing but
    complaints from my customers about this issue. Please, USPS, recognize that the pool of collectors is continuing to grow smaller by the year and that young people are not taking up philately. Issue quality engraved stamps that strongly correlate to important people/events in U. S. history if you wish to keep the current collectors for new U. S. issues.
    I hear frequent complaints about the "label" appearance and poor print quality for most new U. S. stamps.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

Like many others, I am incensed that USPS takes advantage of collectors by making fake rarities. I like the Jenny stamps, but it is wrong to take advantage of collectors by making a few rare stamps that few to no collectors will ever have the opportunity to obtain.

If anything, USPS should realize that collectors are your best allies! We buy stamps that will go unused to build a collection of treasures we love and value. USPS could take example from other countries and their philatelic services. For example, Canada. I can purchase a quarter pack of singles of every issue, including self adhesives, on a standing order. I don't have to buy 4 of every issue to get one stamp! In addition, they don't issue so many new stamps per year that it becomes a burden to younger collectors on limited budgets. If you hope to attract new collectors, you need to consider that they have many other options for hobbies.

While I am responding to this report, I would like to add that I think it is unconscionable that you only issued the perforated version of the Circus souvenir sheet with the annual book. We should not have to buy a product we neither want or need just to get a stamp issue. This is taking advantage of people you should be catering to! Stop the nonsense. Think like a collector. As it is, I am on the verge of just saying no more US collection! It isn't worth the playing the game you are playing.

Hoping that you will fix this inappropriate approach to philately,
    Don

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I think the intentional creation of a rarity is a terrible idea. It is almost a spit in the face of all the collectors who buy new issues.

The execution of the idea, notwithstanding the wisdom of the idea, seems to have violated the postal service's own rules. The ones responsible should be held accountable.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

I think that it was a great idea; just the type of innovative thinking that the USPS needs. Do it again!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

The error in creating and marketing the inverted Jenny stamp was the corruption of the original design by re-valuing the stamp to a non-usable rate just to wring money from the collectors. For this reason, I bought one cover but refuse to but the entire sheet. The error was compounded by the deliberate creation of 100 'upright' panes which will end up in the hands of a privileged few, never be used for a postal purpose, and by their scarcity assume an artificial value that benefits those privileged few. When the Postal Service came out with the Pan American invert reprints in 2001, they appended 4 'labels' denominated at 80 cents each, also a non-regular rate for any manner of ordinary mail, just to wring more money out of the collecting public, also. When I actually used one of those 80-cent 'labels' to frank a large envelope, the Post Office did not even recognize it as a stamp and returned the item for postage, because the design was so uninspired and so inane.

Also, as a matter of feedback unrelated to the inverted Jenny, I stopped buying the year-end "Yearbooks" after 2009 (I had been getting these every year back into the 1970's) because the Postal Service was unrepentant and unresponsive to my complaints about selling damaged product in the included stamp packets. In those situation in which the stamps were produced without a separable backing sheet to facilitate separation of single stamps, they repeatedly clipped the die-cut 'perfs' by straight-cutting to separate the stamps in the pane. The continuation of this practice demonstrates an arrogance and contempt for collectors that is turning many of us off.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

Any product produced and promoted by USPS should be fairly available to a reasonable number of collectors, with advance notice of the item promoted. The inverted Jenny sheet rarity sharply violates my sense of fairness. The use of a lottery to make a philatelic item hopelessly out of my reach diminishes my enjoyment of my hobby.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 5 hours ago

This is a good and sensible suggestion except for one thing -- the primary missions of the USPS are to sell MINT stamps and discourage the collection of USED stamps. 'Nuff said.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 6 hours ago

I RETIRED FROM THE POST OFFICE & HAVE COLLECTED STAMPS FOR OVER 70 YEARS. WHEN THIS UPRIGHT PANE THING STARTED I SAID IT WAS A VERY VERY BAD DEAL. OFFICIALS THING THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT & RULED ONLY APPLY TO OTHERS.

GIVING 3 PANES AWAY TO COLLECTORS WAS ANOTHER BAD DEAL. AGAINST EVERYTHING THAT WE WHERE TOLD TO START WITH. HOW WERE THOSE PEOPLE PICKED?

THOSE PEOPLE THAT STARTED THIS DEAL NEED TO BE BROUGHT UP ON CHARGES AND REMOVED FROM OFFICE.

MAKE SURE THINGS LIKE THIS NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 6 hours ago

My comments will go against the prevailing sentiment, but I think that the upright Jenny was actually a good idea in concept... but was utterly mismanaged.

Knowing now, after the fact, that the sheets were NOT distributed randomly as originally reported, thus my virtually having no chance to find one, makes me regret my purchases. Yes, I might have purchased a few sheets out of interest, and yes I can always use them for postage, but I would not have purchased as many as I did.

Furthermore, the holding back of a large swath of upright sheets, combined with the (rigged?) random giveaway to favored customers just makes me livid. That was unconscionable.