• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 9 months ago

As a former letter carrier (11 years) and current HQ Field Unit employee, I can tell you, the other side is not that great. The PFP is a joke. It depends entirely on favoritism by the manager. We have to jump thru hoops and circles and still get less than nothing, while those who are favorites are the only ones who are even able to talk to the manager. AND we don't get a COLA, step increases, nada. I know being a LC is harder than ever, but I enjoyed it more than the environment here.

Does anyone else see this blog as a tremendous fishing expedition?

Nearly every post is looking for stuff to nail the Postal Service on.

Very creative...but very deceptive.

I FEEL THAT INDIVIDUALS THAT ARE EXCEPTIONAL WORKERS WHOULD BE REWARDING ACCORDING.YOU ARE NEVER TOLD THANK YOU OR GOOD JOB,YOU JUST ADDED ADDITIONAL WORK. MAYBE IT WOULD GIVE OTHERS(SLACKERS)SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT AND CHANGE THE WORK ETHICS OF THOSE PEOPLE.

If "managers" could really make a decision, then I might agree but that is NOT the case. There is more bad management than I have ever witnessed, with no limit to the waste of $$$$. If higher level management would let the line managers make decisions based on business and logic, fire the bad inept ones and keep the good ones, we would be in a much better place today )-:

I totally agree, but would add that the "reward" system also needs to be re-vamped! Favoritism, especially among the races seems to be how awards are doled out. Do other "gov't" agencies give out bonusus/rewards?

Sure, why not. Annually, the USPS publishes
    a list of organizations, who we can elect, a 'combined contribution" to. Everyone receives
    this publication in the fall.

Service awards for performance could be linked to
    this program, in the name of the awarded employee.
    And, consequently place the burden of a "tangible
    reward", if any, identified qualified organization.

Hey this would be GREAT, if it actually happened. I'm one of the hardest working carriers in my office, and I'm lucky If I get a "thanks for helping out today" even once a month. This is one of the largest problems with the post office today. If employee's were ACTUALLY rewarded for doing a good job, some kind of incentive,(bonus, move to next pay grade, something) there would no longer be the pervasive laziness that is throughout the post office. Because now the only way to get more money is to go soooooooooooooooo slow that you get some overtime. Here's an idea, set the routes like the rural's and simply state this is how much the route is worth. And just watch the carriers start rolling in early just so they can feel like they are getting paid for not work they didn't have to do. Oh well, until the culture changes carriers will have no incentive to do a good job.

• Reply to: City Delivery Route Consolidation   5 years 9 months ago

I work ten years on all walking routes, finally bid up to a mixed walking/boxes route which I've kept for five years, saving on the wear and tear on my 61 year old body. So what does our union do, remove boxes and replace them with over 2 hours of walking, all in an effort to build routes for our handicapped carriers. Talk about over-the-top unfairness!!!!!

I think good carriers should be rewarded with cash bonuses just like the ones that supervisors get based on the work that the good carriers do. Say carrier A comes to work every day and carries more mail per delivery than carrier B who calls in sick every 2 weeks and uses overtime when he really doesn't need it.why shouldn't carrier A be rewarded even though some would say he is just doing his job?

give back your cola and join in the PFP otherwise don't complain

Every Business should be able to reward employees for a job well done. The problem is that Headquarters obviously does what they want and the real employees who deserve it never receive anything. They are the craft who go beyond the call of duty and the poor suckers who take special details and work 17 hour days for over 6 months, receive no extra pay and end up getting hosed out of there PFP. It has always been a two tiered system, who you know and how high up they are. Try to get one of your craft an award, never happen.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 9 months ago

Is there any definitive source that helps us estimate our overtime based on DPS?
    For example, if my route was evaluated with an average of 2000 pieces of DPS and DOIS shows that I have 3000 pieces today, how much OT should I put in for, based on the fact that I have 1000 more pieces of DPS?

Once again I am disppoint that the OIG does not give readers real context. Employee awards this year are only .0002% (2/100ths of 1%) of compensation and benefits. This does not come through at all in the blog at how little has been given out this year. The total is also 63% below the same period last year.

Please if you are going to throw out questions to the public, give them facts to make judgements with, not just examples of designer watches, espresso machines, global positioning systems, box seat tickets to sporting events, and personal computers as awards for their employees

USPS should be able to reward employees who do their jobs well.

This DOES NOT mean trying to meet "numbers".

An example: One of the local cellular phone companies sent a full mailing with NO POSTAGE. It should have been caught in Chicago where it was mailed from, but instead made it all the way into DPS. That means several chances to catch it. Instead I caught it at the delivery level.

I am estimating around 500 pieces in our office alone.

How about at least a "thank you" from management instead of implied "you made more work for us" attitude.

It is also too bad we can't accept any money at Christmas, the small amount I used to receive would basically break me even on all the postage dues I billed customers for and never got the money from.

No wonder us craft employees don't "do the right thing" when there are all the disincentives in place preventing it. DOUG

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 9 months ago

OOPS. A few typos in there.
    Hope ya get the idea though.
    Maybe not print on MY Computer...
    I really don't want to be the new kinko

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 9 months ago

Everyone except me has pretty well written 1st class off as a losing proposition. I stopped using first class to pay my bills because I really didn't believe it took my house payment three weeks to reach the mortgage company to the tune of $60 every month. I had to start Over-nite my mortgage for about $13 bucks and saved $45. May sound like a good deal to the PO right?

Then I found a way to pay them online for $5.

Many systems on the internet charge folks $5 to $10 to accept online payment. Most are free; but, for how long?

The Consumer wants to know his/her bills arrive in a timely fashion. That old line "they have to go by the postmark" is a bunch of horse puckey. Who is to prove what the postmark is without a trip to the PO and a 'certificate of mailing'?

Jane/Joe Consumer should be able to purchase from my home computer, print on my printer and leave it in my mail box. Name your price!

Delivery confirmation on First Class as an option for Jane/Joe Consumer would go a long way towards re-instilling faith in an American Institution at minimal start-up cost to the PO while at the same time laying ground work for increasing revenue in a market the PO has exclusive privilege to handle. Capitalize on making our monopoly work.

im a mail handler and i agree we should not get rewards for a good job well done but management should not get bonouses either we are the ones that do the job management just sits on there butts all day we know are job we dont need baby sitters

I get so tired of all the crying about Management. When are you people going to grow up? Craft employees had a chance for PFP but your unions said no. Employees that go above and beyond should be able to recieve some extra compensation as long as the playing field is even for ALL employess.

Where I work, awards are subjective. Plant manager gave a $500 award to an individual who was out on FMLA working a day job (known to all) who just happened to hook up a wi-fi in the plant manager's house. Another individual (PTF/204b) got $250 even though that year he failed his manual scheme before becoming a 204b. Those who routinely broke a sweat every night getting the mail out got squat.
    Another individual was called into the office and told his 30 year service certificate was on the other supervisers desk if he wanted it... then not 30 minutes later they had a standup talk and recognized a casual who was leaving for another job with a plaque.

With all the favortism and nepotism in the Post Office? Are you kidding? Cash incentives would only
    serve as a "slap in the face". It's bad enough that
    preference is given to hire and promote, now you want
    to throw some cash their way too? Very nice!

And that's what's wrong with the postal system. If you didn't have craft employees doing all the work you wouldn't have a job. And as far as decisions go...How's that working out for you because where i stand it looks like we are going down.

I remind my supervisors and managers all the time that we do indeed work for the american people!

I agree we should have MORE say in the making of decisions and when people turn in ideas the help the unit or service they should be awarded.

Give me a break...any incentives for the craft employees have been eliminated a while ago. Mgt used to have a set amount for each station to use for employee incentives...when is the last time you saw it used for that? It was being used for mgt to pay for their lunches and so on...Mgt. get bonuses for being "adequate" or hitting trivial goals..the USPS paid out bonuses to most mgt when we lost our shirts in revenue..what's next we go under and mgt stands in line waiting for the next "incentive" bonus?

THE ONLY PEOPLE DESERVING OF A BONUS ARE MANAGERS. THEY MAKE THE DECISIONS THAT AFFECT POSTAL BUSINESS. CRAFT EMPLOYEES ARE LUCKY TO HAVE EMPLOYMENT. WE NEED MORE TE'S THAT WANT TO WORK.