• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 10 months ago

i may be wrong, but i think to receive the ssi supplement you have to be minimum retirement age and 30 years in the post office. you may want to double check on this before you retire.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 11 months ago

"pick up a few parcels"? What about the spr's? My average parcel count per mgt is three a day. I can count the times I have had less than ten in a day because i kept copies of the days I was inspected. Any other day, 15 spr's and 10 that won't fit in a bag.
    Marriage mail and all it's droppings will foul things up. Will there still be third bundle flats?
    Anything postcard and smaller has to be sorted before the street cuz they don't sort well in the DPS, how many such issues will the FSS have?
    Mgt keeps coming up with new acronyms for the workers to ridicule!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

That 's what I say ! If the Union does NOT like that ......... let them find themselves another job......outside the USPS.

Thank God I've saved up my Sick leave all these years! Guess they'll be coming in handy NOW!

WARNING: DO NOT POST TO THIS BLOG
    THIS SITE IS BELONGS TO THE OIG...YOU ARE BEING WATCHED & RECORDED. LOG OFF!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

The craft wages are set by a negotiated contract. End of story. UPS and FedEx are not required to deliver to every address in the country. No comparison needed. I find this blog one of the worst cases of fraud waste and abuse in the Postal Service. Who do report this to? OIG should stick to investigating criminals and leave this VOE like survey nonsense for Postal Management. No wonder everyone things the OIG is sleeping in the same bed as management.

"Can you imagine the effects of walking delivery routes for 7 to 8 hours daily over a period of years?"

It get better........under the CORS System you are going to be "walking 7 to 8 hours daily" with 35 pounds of mail in your bag every time you leave your vehicle.

I always wondered what type of FERS Flu I would catch. I guess they have answered my question..............

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

The question is irrelevant. Postal Employees work under a collective bargaining agreement. Their salaries are negotiated and if no agreement is reached than binding arbitration comes into play. At the arbitration, both parties present evidence to support their positions concerning salary rates, benefits, etc. The arbitrator's decision is based on his/her interpretaion of this evidence which includes data of wages in the private sector as presented by both parties. I consider it highly illogical and irresponsible to base wages and benefits on public opinion. Do you think doctors should make as much? What about lawyers? Politicians in general, etc? We already have a fair and practical process to determine postal wages. I think it should remain this way.

• Reply to: Business Reply Mail   5 years 11 months ago

I have had nothing but problems at the Rogers Park, Chicago Post Office. When we applied for our permit we asked if we need to monitor our renewal date and were told that the post office will notify us when permit will expire (we also confirmed this service in the domestic mail manual). W'ell you guessed it. Our permit lapsed because we never received a renewal notice. After several mailings we figured out our permit expired. So leeson 1, we learned is to track your renwal date yourself. Then we paid to renew our permit and it took WEEKS to get a straight answer from anyone. We called the local branch (Rogers Park) we called downtown on Harrison St. Each time we received different answers on how to renew our permit. Eventually we sent in our payment. Spoke to numerous people at Rogers Park and received nothing but a run around. Now we have a renewed permit and sent out seed names and tests and still have not received any back after 2 weeks! What other options do I have? Is there a different service I can use? We really need BRM. Please contact me to discuss this.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

And we got to remember all them questions too!

• Reply to: Will Electronic Reader Technology Affect the Postal Service?   5 years 11 months ago

Chris,

Actually, in answer to your question;
    Post from Brainstorming Ideas Pt 2.
    July.......

OK Here goes. Don’t get offended by the accusation
    of you’re ignorance of government process. It’s complicated, and, I hope you all follow through.

And, I already know my sick pay balance identified below, is AS SAFE THE SUN COMING UP Tomorrow.
    But, the USPS continued existence is definately
    on the ropes.

Now, I’m a techy currently working in transportation, so to set the tone, my answers to poll questions are
    reflected as such.

Question 1. Introduce Non-traditional Postal Services, i.e. web based, IP, wireless lan/wan etc., intelligent transportation net, similar to other noted comments provided in Brainstorming 1.

Question 2. Develop Web Based digital mail (Charge new fees for new technology services.

However,

I’ll bet my sick pay balance, only 1% or less know answers to the following questions. And, to assure accuracy, and prove you’re not peeking,

1. Who is the Chair of the committee?
    2. Who are the ranking members?

Be honest with yourself.

1. First ask yourself to name the Congressional committee members that represent the USPS’s future, and the districts they are from and which one presides in you’re district.

2. Ask 50 USPS people you work with simply to name
    the Congressional Committee these members belong to.

The Congressional Committee members who decide the USPS’s fate!!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

In response to Mark referring to Postal Carriers as "overpaid paperboys", I ask him to consider the differences between the two. I've been both a paperboy and now a Postal Carrier (Rural Carrier). As a paperboy, you only have one type of piece to deliver, must both collect funds and pay for their papers they deliver. But keep in mind, it's only one piece and doesn't need to worry about address labels or names when making deliveries. The mail carrier has multiple types of mail pieces to deliver (letters, flats or magazines, small and large parcels in many different shapes and sizes), must consider names, locations, handle accountable mail with scanning issues (insured, signature confirmations, registered, and international delivery confirmations, etc.), adhere to postal delivery regulations, safety and security procedures, and do all that in all types of weather conditions. Shall I go on? Mail carriers equal to glorified paperboys....I don't think so.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

pay should not be associated with location. we are free to live and work where we please. if there needs to be a change in pay structure it whould be based on productivity and work standards (which the unions oppose)

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

Ive worked in offices with city in the past, have gone out with more mail on a longer route than some and finished before you guys, you work at one pace, which is fine, when we are finished we are off for the day you finish to early and your doing someone elses job, about 10 years ago we were short handed had a city boy sort mail on my route, had just bid on it and havent gotten it yet, he was on route for a month, never cased and delivered it but spent 6 hours a day in the office, cut our routes in half FSS is going to do that but not city boys working on any!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

Wage uniformity. Funny how we try to copy communist countries!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

Postal workers are overpaid paperboys. American public is finally figuring that out.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

As a career city carrier of 25 years, I train all the new carriers that come to our office. All of them say the same thing: "WOW, mail delivery LOOKS EASIER than it really is!!!!"

I challenge ANYONE who questions the pay that we receive to TRY IT.

We have had two adjustments so far this year, and another is coming in October. We have had routes grow from 400 deliveries to 600 deliveries in an 8 hour day due to a reduction in volume.

RRCARRIER, we also feel you pain, and understand, we city carriers are going through what you are going through.

Everyone, no matter where you work are going through tough times and until the U.S. Government realizes that you cannot keep the status quo, I.E., raising taxes, and more government spending, thing are only going to get worse.

Everyone, VOL. II, please stop the in-fighting and focus on where most of our problem are coming from:

GOVERNMENT IS WAY TO BIG,AND WAY OUT OF CONTROL!!!

It started with Bush 41, and Clinton/Bush 43/Obama are all guilty of carrying the torch on and on.

VOTE VOTE VOTE!!! Do not forget what we are going through right now. Do whatever you have to do to remember how you feel right now, and VOTE in Nov. of 2010.

The only place that an increase in un-employment is a good thing is in Washington D.C.!!!

Godspeed everyone and God bless the USA!!!!!!!!!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

Exactly. Biggest turn off for customers is to hear about all the products and options that they did NOT COME TO BUY. Sell them their stamps, put postage on their packages, take their hold orders and shut the heck up!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

Right. Let's charge the public for forwarding their mail. First though...let's learn how to do it right again first. The Central forwarding system is probably the greatest example of how negligent we can be. Her's a great management decision: someone puts in a change and the carrier doesn't learn about it for anywhere from 2 to 5 days. Meanwhile he continues delivering mail to a mailbox that no one is living at. If the curtains are still up on the windows of the empty house...How can he tell no one's living there? Now you want to charge folks money for this??? You are a manager right? Our "service" sucks.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

I've been a city carrier [city boy] for 25yrs and work 40hrs if not more a week. My question for the poor rural carrier is how many hours a day/week do you work? I am guessing that it doesn't total 40. If they would set up the rural routes like they do city routes there would be no need for half the routes in your station, but what do I know?

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

ups pay is considerably higher than usps. just thought i'd say something as i saw it on here a couple of times. like ups the usps has a tiered wage system.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

With what we need to know, I don't see how Window/Distribution clerks should make minimal wages like the ups and fedex clerks. They work 4 hours per day. We work at least 8. The knowledge we have in our heads should mean something.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

First let me say I am not an employee of the USPS but a customer. I cannot in vision the US without the USPS. Through the posts I have read the answers I always see is cut management for craft workers. The answer I see from mamagement is cut craft workers. Neither is right. I have been on both sides in the private sector. Management and craft have to work together to make a better USPS in these bad economic times. I really don't think that all USPS employees know they have a decent job especially in these economic times.. If you are unhappy with you job just try one in the private sector. I sure it won't take long for you to change your mind. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence is true.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

Either you are a boss or you are a liar...your telling me that you wouldn't want to be paid fairly like ups or fedex (we do more work in a day than they do and get paid less) It's people like you that make a mockery of these kinds of forums!!!!....SHAME on YOU!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 11 months ago

Ive carried mail for 25 years and havent complained about my pay, rural carrier, but when you folks get raises we get mail counts, and our salary goes down, we add new homes our salary goes up, then we get a raise up again, then we get another mail count and we make less than we made years ago, we are treated poorly, and myself and a lot of others always thought it would get better, guess what its still worse! Started working for PO 6 days a week 25 years ago and now working 6 days a week for less pay than a year ago! PO puts in machines and tells us we now get paid one minute for every 27 flats we deliver, funny our time goes down for this, but keeps the city boys working 8 hours a day on 6 hours worth of mail! People need to be treated fairly, and a lot of Postal Managers need stats , whether they are there or not!