• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 8 months ago

THE ONLY PEOPLE DESERVING OF A BONUS ARE MANAGERS. THEY MAKE THE DECISIONS THAT AFFECT POSTAL BUSINESS. CRAFT EMPLOYEES ARE LUCKY TO HAVE EMPLOYMENT. WE NEED MORE TE'S THAT WANT TO WORK.

Getting rewards sets a bad precedent...... give managers bonuses to swindle the workers is bad logic. Take a thousand bucks out of an employees pay check and we will give you 100 bucks, anyone with decent morals would believe this warped greedy thinking is wrong. The only bonus or reward you should receive is that you still have your job. Hire me to replace PMG Potter and you will see a 90% cut in management positions and a profitable postal service. I will do a much better job than the current PMG.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

I believe the FSS machine will vastly improve the Postal service quality and efficiancy. However I disagree with its deployment schedule. Presently the Phoenix P&DC is schedule to receive this equipment long before the Las Vegas P&DC. I feel this is a mistake for many reasons.

Las Vegas is more strategically located about the same distance from Phoenix and Salt Lake City as well as San Bernardino. If the FSS works close to its capacity it may be able to process mail from cities outside itself. It would be more logical to have these cites sending their mail to Las Vegas than to Phoenix due to distance.

Also Las Vegas does not have the traffic issues that Phoenix struggles with. The mail would move more efficiently from Las Vegas to other areas.

Also our airport has more flights throughout the country (and the world for that matter) than Phoenix. Therefore our magazines and periodicals were have a quicker dispatch route.

The FSS machine is a vital part of our recovery the deployment of this equipment needs to be handled carefully. I realize eventually most facilities will process their own FSS. I just think for the start of the deployment Las Vegas is a far better choice than Phoenix.

Virginia Evans
    MPE USPS

All

I am a manager and I do agree that we should be able to issue spot awards to our employees. Nothing drastic, but if an employee goes above and beyond we should be able to issue a 25 gift card, movie tickets, etc... However, large gifts at headquarters and District levels should absolutely be abolished as well as operations. We get paid well, but we should be able to recognize employees when they retire, x-mas etc...

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

OK Here goes. Don’t get offended by the accusation
    of you're ignorance of government process. It's complicated, and, I hope you all follow through.

And, I already know my sick pay balance identified below, is AS SAFE THE SUN COMING UP Tomorrow.
    But, the USPS continued existence is definately
    on the ropes.

Now, I’m a techy currently working in transportation, so to set the tone, my answers to poll questions are
    reflected as such.

Question 1. Introduce Non-traditional Postal Services, i.e. web based, IP, wireless lan/wan etc., intelligent transportation net, similar to other noted comments provided in Brainstorming 1.

Question 2. Develop Web Based digital mail (Charge new fees for new technology services.

However,

I’ll bet my sick pay balance, only 1% or less know answers to the following questions. And, to assure accuracy, and prove you’re not peeking,

1. Who is the Chair of the committee?
    2. Who are the ranking members?

Be honest with yourself.

1. First ask yourself to name the Congressional committee members that represent the USPS’s future, and the districts they are from and which one presides in you’re district.

2. Ask 50 USPS people you work with simply to name
    the Congressional Committee these members belong to.

The Congressional Committee members who decide the USPS’s fate!!

The USPS should still recognize and reward employees who go above and beyond the call of duty either with cash (maximum 1,000) or non-cash gifts (maximum $500). This is good practice and promotes good work habits. What should stop is the large bonuses that the PCES managers and VPs get just about every year. They all make upwards of $120,000 already and if they were doing such a great job the USPS would not be in such financial turmoil. When the USPS was making money these managers abused travel and relocation expenses when they could have been saving for a rainy day.

THe biggest problem the USPS has are corrupt and totally inept managers. Get rid of them and everything will be okay. I can not count the amount of times my managers fudge numbers, hide mail, and do other shaddy things. If you want to reward people, you can do it without spending a dime. Change the work enviroment, give employees on the OTDL overtime again. Your already paying it out to PTF and TEs, just give it to the guys who need it most, the ones with families. A happy employee is a productive employee. Bonus's often lead to greed, and in the USPS bonus's wil not be earned, they will be stolen bases on alse numbers, and bogus reports(hell its already happening)

We used to get a little bonus around Christmas, but that stopped when they decided to give the Managers the bonus. So instead of spreading the it around they have concentrated it on Management. Not necessarily the managers that have direct contact with the employees, because they have to meet unrealistic goals set by their district manager to attain a bonus. I wonder what kind of goals District Managers have to attain before they get a bonus? All those VPs don't make sense either.
    It has made it an US against Them atmosphere. It's insane. All I want to do is deliver the mail.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 8 months ago

Offering an incentive to employees covered by CSRS, usually senior, higher paid, to retire might help. Something like one month for each year of service towards retirement might just work, where the latest VER offers with no incentives have not.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

We have 5 day delivery already in 10 weeks of every year.( http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2009.asp )
    They usually consist of a week of 5 10+ hour days. Making the other 42 weeks into 5 day would have a similar effect, and the 10 4 day weeks would be crushing.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

On City Routes: any street with sidewalks must have mailboxes on the sidewalk, any street without sidewalks must have curbside delivery.

Yes, this is a reduction in service, as is the current elimination of 200,000 blue boxes that have been pulled in the last few years.

We don't have milk delivery to our house anymore, and the garbage man no longer walks 150 feet up our driveway to the garage to retreive our rubbish and carry it to the truck , as he did in the 1960's. Walking up and down dozens of stairs for one mailbox is a ridiculous legacy , the cost of which is burdensome.
    Hardship delivery points would be excepted, of course.
    We have 5 day delivery already 10 weeks of every year. They turn into a week of 5 10+ hour days.
    making the other 42 weeks into 5 day would have a similar effect most weeks, and the 10 4 day weeks would be crushing.

Postal employees are well compensated for their work, already, and the expectation should be for exceptional service. The biggest problem with awards and incentives, in my experience, is that they are rarely given fairly or at least that is the perception of most other employees. The only way it would be effective is if there was a very well defined set of criteria, known to all, used to determine who gets such awards or incentives AND everyone who meets that criteria receives the same award or incentive. That would set a bar for employees to reach, rather than demoralizing good employees who are left out due to favoritism in the workplace.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 8 months ago

Sir, I basically have one question. Who will be able to carry/walk 7 hours a day for 30 years carrying a satchel full of mail/weight ( 20 lbs avg ) and make it to retirement ?

no one in the southeast michigan district ever got more than a movie ticket (if they were craft) Managers get it all, for doing nothing, not working, etc. etc.

Why doesn't the OIG ever investigate fraud and misuse and abuse by management, but always craft?

I am a letter carrier and I do the best job I can. I do not want cash or gifts just maybe an occasional pat on the back with "good job". Instead I get a knife in the back with "go carry extra on joe blow's route, NOW!" or "we are going to make your route longer". All I expect is my paycheck but five times in the last six months I have had to wait to get it four days late. I was told it was lost but it would eventually show up. I'll still do the best I can. Somebody around here has to get the mail delivered!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

Right on, 100% !!!!!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

If the USPS set up city delivery like the rurals, how would the carriers be paid? Rurals get paid well for mounted delivery, and every step on a dismount is counted and they are paid for it accordingly. City carriers would have to be paid 10 times as much as rural carriers, if they were using the same system of pay. Not to mention, the increase in trips and falls when carriers are running their routes or other ailments that result from carrying mail. The expenses in accidents and lost work time would be large, to say the least. There is a monumental difference between rural delivery, and city delivery. It would not work, unless city carriers are paid waaaaaaaay more than rural carriers, and I don't see that happening.

The only problem is that the awards never make it down to the craft employees. i saw an audit the OIG did in the Western District and saw that money had been spent on employee awards of TVS, computers, etc. I can guarantee you that the craft employees did not receive any such gifts. Its called embezzlement. Theft. Someone should go to jail!

We're a goverment agency regardless !
    Do FBI agents get a cash reward if they catch a crook?

Does a soldier in Irag get a prize if he kills an enemy?

Does a Congressman get a bonus if he votes?

Why should USPS give rewards for doing your job???

no--- because its a goverment job. and the more you reward mang. the more they will do anything aganist there fellow employees to get it.

No I do not think that large awards are appropriate, especially right now, However I read with interest that there are espresso makers, GPS system, Personal Computers being given as awards. These must be MANAGEMENT Perks and awards because Us lowly carriers are lucky to get 2 free movie tickets as a reward or recognition for a job well done, and even those have pretty much stopped.why doesn't the inspection service or OIG track that!

No.....Why? Because Post Office is a government agent. I was so proud when I got hired from Post Office. I thought I work for American people, but now I found out I'm working for Postal Management, our managers.

We should consider delivering mail on business routes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Resedential routes on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturday. This would reduce carrier complement by 1/2 and vehicle usage by the same amount.

If any union accepts reduction of pay, do what I will do....get out of it. Saturdays off is the only answer!

I want what managers get....millions for doing nothing that requires any mind power. How hard can it be to pick up your #2 pencil and erase my true figures to unrealistic figures that suit your needs? PHHHAlleezzze!!!!!