• Reply to: City Delivery Route Consolidation   5 years 8 months ago

I work ten years on all walking routes, finally bid up to a mixed walking/boxes route which I've kept for five years, saving on the wear and tear on my 61 year old body. So what does our union do, remove boxes and replace them with over 2 hours of walking, all in an effort to build routes for our handicapped carriers. Talk about over-the-top unfairness!!!!!

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 8 months ago

I think good carriers should be rewarded with cash bonuses just like the ones that supervisors get based on the work that the good carriers do. Say carrier A comes to work every day and carries more mail per delivery than carrier B who calls in sick every 2 weeks and uses overtime when he really doesn't need it.why shouldn't carrier A be rewarded even though some would say he is just doing his job?

give back your cola and join in the PFP otherwise don't complain

Every Business should be able to reward employees for a job well done. The problem is that Headquarters obviously does what they want and the real employees who deserve it never receive anything. They are the craft who go beyond the call of duty and the poor suckers who take special details and work 17 hour days for over 6 months, receive no extra pay and end up getting hosed out of there PFP. It has always been a two tiered system, who you know and how high up they are. Try to get one of your craft an award, never happen.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 8 months ago

Is there any definitive source that helps us estimate our overtime based on DPS?
    For example, if my route was evaluated with an average of 2000 pieces of DPS and DOIS shows that I have 3000 pieces today, how much OT should I put in for, based on the fact that I have 1000 more pieces of DPS?

Once again I am disppoint that the OIG does not give readers real context. Employee awards this year are only .0002% (2/100ths of 1%) of compensation and benefits. This does not come through at all in the blog at how little has been given out this year. The total is also 63% below the same period last year.

Please if you are going to throw out questions to the public, give them facts to make judgements with, not just examples of designer watches, espresso machines, global positioning systems, box seat tickets to sporting events, and personal computers as awards for their employees

USPS should be able to reward employees who do their jobs well.

This DOES NOT mean trying to meet "numbers".

An example: One of the local cellular phone companies sent a full mailing with NO POSTAGE. It should have been caught in Chicago where it was mailed from, but instead made it all the way into DPS. That means several chances to catch it. Instead I caught it at the delivery level.

I am estimating around 500 pieces in our office alone.

How about at least a "thank you" from management instead of implied "you made more work for us" attitude.

It is also too bad we can't accept any money at Christmas, the small amount I used to receive would basically break me even on all the postage dues I billed customers for and never got the money from.

No wonder us craft employees don't "do the right thing" when there are all the disincentives in place preventing it. DOUG

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 8 months ago

OOPS. A few typos in there.
    Hope ya get the idea though.
    Maybe not print on MY Computer...
    I really don't want to be the new kinko

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 8 months ago

Everyone except me has pretty well written 1st class off as a losing proposition. I stopped using first class to pay my bills because I really didn't believe it took my house payment three weeks to reach the mortgage company to the tune of $60 every month. I had to start Over-nite my mortgage for about $13 bucks and saved $45. May sound like a good deal to the PO right?

Then I found a way to pay them online for $5.

Many systems on the internet charge folks $5 to $10 to accept online payment. Most are free; but, for how long?

The Consumer wants to know his/her bills arrive in a timely fashion. That old line "they have to go by the postmark" is a bunch of horse puckey. Who is to prove what the postmark is without a trip to the PO and a 'certificate of mailing'?

Jane/Joe Consumer should be able to purchase from my home computer, print on my printer and leave it in my mail box. Name your price!

Delivery confirmation on First Class as an option for Jane/Joe Consumer would go a long way towards re-instilling faith in an American Institution at minimal start-up cost to the PO while at the same time laying ground work for increasing revenue in a market the PO has exclusive privilege to handle. Capitalize on making our monopoly work.

im a mail handler and i agree we should not get rewards for a good job well done but management should not get bonouses either we are the ones that do the job management just sits on there butts all day we know are job we dont need baby sitters

I get so tired of all the crying about Management. When are you people going to grow up? Craft employees had a chance for PFP but your unions said no. Employees that go above and beyond should be able to recieve some extra compensation as long as the playing field is even for ALL employess.

Where I work, awards are subjective. Plant manager gave a $500 award to an individual who was out on FMLA working a day job (known to all) who just happened to hook up a wi-fi in the plant manager's house. Another individual (PTF/204b) got $250 even though that year he failed his manual scheme before becoming a 204b. Those who routinely broke a sweat every night getting the mail out got squat.
    Another individual was called into the office and told his 30 year service certificate was on the other supervisers desk if he wanted it... then not 30 minutes later they had a standup talk and recognized a casual who was leaving for another job with a plaque.

With all the favortism and nepotism in the Post Office? Are you kidding? Cash incentives would only
    serve as a "slap in the face". It's bad enough that
    preference is given to hire and promote, now you want
    to throw some cash their way too? Very nice!

And that's what's wrong with the postal system. If you didn't have craft employees doing all the work you wouldn't have a job. And as far as decisions go...How's that working out for you because where i stand it looks like we are going down.

I remind my supervisors and managers all the time that we do indeed work for the american people!

I agree we should have MORE say in the making of decisions and when people turn in ideas the help the unit or service they should be awarded.

Give me a break...any incentives for the craft employees have been eliminated a while ago. Mgt used to have a set amount for each station to use for employee incentives...when is the last time you saw it used for that? It was being used for mgt to pay for their lunches and so on...Mgt. get bonuses for being "adequate" or hitting trivial goals..the USPS paid out bonuses to most mgt when we lost our shirts in revenue..what's next we go under and mgt stands in line waiting for the next "incentive" bonus?

THE ONLY PEOPLE DESERVING OF A BONUS ARE MANAGERS. THEY MAKE THE DECISIONS THAT AFFECT POSTAL BUSINESS. CRAFT EMPLOYEES ARE LUCKY TO HAVE EMPLOYMENT. WE NEED MORE TE'S THAT WANT TO WORK.

Getting rewards sets a bad precedent...... give managers bonuses to swindle the workers is bad logic. Take a thousand bucks out of an employees pay check and we will give you 100 bucks, anyone with decent morals would believe this warped greedy thinking is wrong. The only bonus or reward you should receive is that you still have your job. Hire me to replace PMG Potter and you will see a 90% cut in management positions and a profitable postal service. I will do a much better job than the current PMG.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

I believe the FSS machine will vastly improve the Postal service quality and efficiancy. However I disagree with its deployment schedule. Presently the Phoenix P&DC is schedule to receive this equipment long before the Las Vegas P&DC. I feel this is a mistake for many reasons.

Las Vegas is more strategically located about the same distance from Phoenix and Salt Lake City as well as San Bernardino. If the FSS works close to its capacity it may be able to process mail from cities outside itself. It would be more logical to have these cites sending their mail to Las Vegas than to Phoenix due to distance.

Also Las Vegas does not have the traffic issues that Phoenix struggles with. The mail would move more efficiently from Las Vegas to other areas.

Also our airport has more flights throughout the country (and the world for that matter) than Phoenix. Therefore our magazines and periodicals were have a quicker dispatch route.

The FSS machine is a vital part of our recovery the deployment of this equipment needs to be handled carefully. I realize eventually most facilities will process their own FSS. I just think for the start of the deployment Las Vegas is a far better choice than Phoenix.

Virginia Evans
    MPE USPS

All

I am a manager and I do agree that we should be able to issue spot awards to our employees. Nothing drastic, but if an employee goes above and beyond we should be able to issue a 25 gift card, movie tickets, etc... However, large gifts at headquarters and District levels should absolutely be abolished as well as operations. We get paid well, but we should be able to recognize employees when they retire, x-mas etc...

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 8 months ago

OK Here goes. Don’t get offended by the accusation
    of you're ignorance of government process. It's complicated, and, I hope you all follow through.

And, I already know my sick pay balance identified below, is AS SAFE THE SUN COMING UP Tomorrow.
    But, the USPS continued existence is definately
    on the ropes.

Now, I’m a techy currently working in transportation, so to set the tone, my answers to poll questions are
    reflected as such.

Question 1. Introduce Non-traditional Postal Services, i.e. web based, IP, wireless lan/wan etc., intelligent transportation net, similar to other noted comments provided in Brainstorming 1.

Question 2. Develop Web Based digital mail (Charge new fees for new technology services.

However,

I’ll bet my sick pay balance, only 1% or less know answers to the following questions. And, to assure accuracy, and prove you’re not peeking,

1. Who is the Chair of the committee?
    2. Who are the ranking members?

Be honest with yourself.

1. First ask yourself to name the Congressional committee members that represent the USPS’s future, and the districts they are from and which one presides in you’re district.

2. Ask 50 USPS people you work with simply to name
    the Congressional Committee these members belong to.

The Congressional Committee members who decide the USPS’s fate!!

The USPS should still recognize and reward employees who go above and beyond the call of duty either with cash (maximum 1,000) or non-cash gifts (maximum $500). This is good practice and promotes good work habits. What should stop is the large bonuses that the PCES managers and VPs get just about every year. They all make upwards of $120,000 already and if they were doing such a great job the USPS would not be in such financial turmoil. When the USPS was making money these managers abused travel and relocation expenses when they could have been saving for a rainy day.

THe biggest problem the USPS has are corrupt and totally inept managers. Get rid of them and everything will be okay. I can not count the amount of times my managers fudge numbers, hide mail, and do other shaddy things. If you want to reward people, you can do it without spending a dime. Change the work enviroment, give employees on the OTDL overtime again. Your already paying it out to PTF and TEs, just give it to the guys who need it most, the ones with families. A happy employee is a productive employee. Bonus's often lead to greed, and in the USPS bonus's wil not be earned, they will be stolen bases on alse numbers, and bogus reports(hell its already happening)

We used to get a little bonus around Christmas, but that stopped when they decided to give the Managers the bonus. So instead of spreading the it around they have concentrated it on Management. Not necessarily the managers that have direct contact with the employees, because they have to meet unrealistic goals set by their district manager to attain a bonus. I wonder what kind of goals District Managers have to attain before they get a bonus? All those VPs don't make sense either.
    It has made it an US against Them atmosphere. It's insane. All I want to do is deliver the mail.