• Reply to: Opportunity Knocks   3 months 3 hours ago

I am exceptionally unhappy with your tracking system. If a package leaves a destination, you should also be able to say where it's going and how. For example, my 2 day priority box, case #CA120940611, was mailed to Seattle, WA on 16 Dec from Arlington, Va. On Dec 22 it arrived in Greensboro, NC. The next day it departed. On Dec 27 it arrived in Waynesboro, PA. It departed the same day and is still IN TRANSIT with an expected delivery date of 19 Dec. IT IS NOW DEC 31, 2014. So your system doesn't update? On top of which, once a case was opened, when this box appeared, there should have been a flag. Pull it. Special handle. Get it to the destination. Is it on a wagon train?! Most important, your system sent me an email asking how long it took to resolve my case. Not resolved. No follow up. It doesn't ease my mind that there is a complaint site online that has people saying their property went missing in Waynesboro or arrived empty. Also, why don't you reimburse postage? If you lost the insured package, you should stand behind your "guarantee" for priority delivery. I am so sad for my 4 year old granddaughter who now thinks her Santa presents fell off the sled. Will they ever appear?! As a veteran, wife of a veteran and Mom of a veteran, I am also sad for this really bad government agency that has let us down.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 months 13 hours ago

Hello Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time to notify our offices of this issue. The USPS Office of Inspector General investigates waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS).

Please file a complaint online with our offices at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form. By completing this form it will provide our offices with the critical information needed to look into this matter.

Thank you.

• Reply to: Will you be doing your online shopping earlier this season?   3 months 13 hours ago

Hello Barbara,

We apologize for the inconvenience. We suggest that you either file a complaint online with our offices at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form or file a complaint with your local USPS Office of Consumer Affairs by calling (803) 926-6387 or (803) 926-6389. By using either one or both options, it will give us the critical information we need to look into your complaint.

Thank you.

• Reply to: How often did you use your smartphone to pay for things this holiday season?   3 months 15 hours ago

As a Gen Xer, I am probably one of those "straddlers" -- willing to try the next big thing but probably need to be convinced it is better than the tried-and-true approach before switching completely. I did use a payment app this holiday season, albeit through my bank's app. It was easy enough, but no easier than pulling out a credit/debit card. However, one event this past week convinced me that maybe a phone payment app isn't such a bad idea. A family member left his credit card at a restaurant and didn't discover it for most of a day, when he went to use it again. If you leave your phone at a restaurant, you are likely to notice immediately. In any event, I don't see much opportunity for the Postal Service in this space, but it's nice to see this blog space considering future postal ideas.

As a veteran payments professional, I believe this technology is going to grow. It does offer additional security in that the consumer is not surrendering their actual card to an employee who could then "skim" it for purposes of fraud.
    However, i would not trust the USPS, with its myriad problems including a continuing financial deficit, to provide a framework for payments. Nor do I think the people most likely to use contactless payment applications--that being the younger demographic--will turn to the USPS either.

• Reply to: How often did you use your smartphone to pay for things this holiday season?   3 months 18 hours ago

Do you know the demographics of your readers? As a Boomer I answered "never". And I'm confident that Millennials will answer at the other end of the scale. Without this generational differentiation, I doubt your results will be indicative of an opportunity for USPS who needs to be thinking more about "them" and less about "us".

• Reply to: Will you be doing your online shopping earlier this season?   3 months 20 hours ago

I don't know why I continue to us USPS! The employees are ALWAYS unhappy & rude! I try to use the selfserve as much as posssible. Which is what I did on Tuesday Dec 23 , 2014 @6:40AM ! I really did NOT want to send the package priority 2day..but the selfserve gave me NO other option! I live in 29401, the package was going to 29646. They did not receive the pkg untill Friday , 3 days later. #1, If I pay for 2 Day priority, that's what I excpect to happen. #2, I was given lots of excuses as to why it took 3 days, " that's how the machine is set up" or " if you had come to the counter, that would have been your ONLY choise too" or " It is the holidays we have 10 times the package to deliver, there is NO guarantee during holidays!" I want this addressed. Please respond, and I'll give you all the information. Very unhappy customer!

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service be allowed to sell or otherwise dispose of historic properties?   3 months 1 day ago

There should be some kind of local announcements on the historic property persay alot of people end up really lost from things not making it to them always constantly moving. As for the post office i think our world has gotten too comfortable with having mail sent from buisnesses or other places that leave no paper trail and in order to stay professional every bit of merchant or distribution types of postage should be regulated and the general guidelines should be properly put in order to be sure to maintain our civil libertys as citizens in this world not just in the united states. Time has come swift with accuracy on many of things but theres no reason why we should not have the countrys moast valuable documents owned by the government prtected by places like the post office but theres no backup paper documents saying what our country is all about. Yet we need answers to questions like how would the poast office pay there employees if they hold onto historic documents. Do we rilly rilly want to see this union fall to peaces through the internet. NO we need to have those strategys put to play and places like the city librarys or our poast office or newspaper to be strictly mandated to carry city statistics and local gov official documents. So we dont end up being ran down by simple logistics. And "Terrorist" just look around what do you rilly see when you look at your hometown and people you know where isnt there a nightmare.

• Reply to: How often did you use your smartphone to pay for things this holiday season?   3 months 1 day ago

Unfortunately it sounds like a great way for people to sync user data and card info. Near field communication is when two devices stream information to and from one another in order to share available information. You know how long that would take in a place with everyones phones going off all over the place it would be like a musical chair concierto. Nobody would even probly know what to do with themselves. I bealeave the store would probly have more returns on phones, then they would there items that is if you could even check out without streaming somebodys selfie or life information. Just shure lets go down to the mall and as your turning to go shopping your taxing everyone that passes you then you flip the car around and tell your kids forget it were going to disneyland. It would probly make it extremely hard for recovering addics and struggling familys already on the edge of broke down stolen phone and NFC by there side what could go wrong then. I for one do not think that is a good idea at all.
    Talk about the next time you try to get somebody introuble for fraud or stealing anything almoast rilly.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 months 1 day ago

Mailed 4 packages 12/15/14 without tracking but postmaster said it would be delivered before 12/25/14. 3 of the packages arrived one is nowhere to be found called both the receiving post office and the post office I sent the packages from . Postmasters said I had to wait 30 days
    Call 800 ask usps told me I didn't need to wait 30 days they would send notice to post office I told them I talked to postmaster already so I'm waiting for a call from post office but I'm sure I'll never get a return call. Postmaster is also the postal clerk like the fox watch the hen house

I do not feel comfortable using a phone app to pay for my purchases. I do not think I will be using this technology.

I very much doubt that private sector interests would allow the Postal Service to get into the mobile payment field. Why doesn't the Postal Service work on advancing their recent report on providing banking services to people who don't have checking accounts, etc? Just the Illegal Immigrant population alone is a huge market for banking services.

As long as mobile apps require users to show up in person to make a purchase, they aren't going to be very competitive UNLESS they provide super excellent security compared to credit cards.

• Reply to: Go Secure With gopost   3 months 4 days ago

GoPost anyone?

Dear USPS, if you start a new service for customers, say GoPost, how about you train our customer service agents on what it is. You even have a dedicated customer service just for GoPost but everyone there is clueless. If they're not answering the phone laughing or sleepy, they're nonetheless happy to quickly transfer you to an entirely different department who is also....clueless. Actually went into the post office and it's like I'm speaking a different language. It sucks, it sucks, it sucks. I thought sprint had the worse customer service of all time, but I stand corrected. USPS customer service sucks. It's like....they don't care and there's no accountability. This rant will undoubtedly be lost in the mix but if you hear someone letting out long sighs because she's tired of being transferred, being put on hold and being treated like I'm bothering people, that would be me. Do better USPS, do better.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   3 months 4 days ago

Jennifer,
    I send a message to the email you provided with further information regarding your complaint.
    OIG Blog Moderator

• Reply to: Workforce Flexibility – Would it Work for the Postal Service?   3 months 4 days ago

Mary,
    Thank you for your comment on our blog. The Office of Inspector General (OIG) conducts independent audits and investigations related to systemic issues or concerns of fraud, waste, and misconduct affecting Postal Service programs. In reviewing your issues, we determined that the USPS Human Resources Office would be better able to better service your concerns. You may contact them at: (877) 477-3273

OIG Blog Moderator

• Reply to: Which of the three options are you most interested in seeing the Postal Service pursue?   3 months 4 days ago

Charlie,
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
    Merry Christmas to you too. and yes, the OIG is open on Friday.

OIG Blog Moderator

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   3 months 4 days ago

I have filled out the form and waiting as I always have to wait. I am beyond fed up. The number they transferred my to is same number I have called and still waiting a call back.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   3 months 4 days ago

Jennifer,
    Please file a complaint with our Hotline regarding this matter. You can do so at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form or by calling 1-888-877-7644.

OIG Blog Moderator

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   3 months 4 days ago

My post office on Pickett Street in Alexandria, VA keeps claiming no one is home - (I have an all day nanny) and my husband is off Mon & Tues) or claim they deliver packages and don't For over 2 years every month I have anywhere from 1-4 problems with them. They never return calls or claim they don't have a package at the office even after I get several notices saying its available for pick up. This past week they lost 2 packages. There is no excuse. At this point seems to me they don't do their job and go off sleeping somewhere or steal the packages. No one does a thing even after filing numerous complaints. WHole office needs to be fired.

• Reply to: The Road to a New Delivery Fleet   3 months 5 days ago

To me the most important features would be: more floor space, and less blind spots if not none at all. Theyes should also be able to carry more parcels than mail since that is what our company is leaning toward. This should be obvious after the volume of parcels we had this Christmas season. I have been with the USPS for 16 year and I have never had to work on a Sunday ever before. Not even when I was a PTF.

• Reply to: Which of the three options are you most interested in seeing the Postal Service pursue?   3 months 6 days ago

I chose option 2, only because option 1 is already being implemented. Option 2 is/has been in the process of being implemented but from the field appears to be the one area we need more work.
    Option 3? Not sure how it is anywhere else, but our carriers already sell stamps. Customer gives them a check or cash and they give them stamps. Don't need costly equipment to perform a task that is already being performed.

Something not mentioned but seriously should be addressed. If we are morphing into a package company, then why not expand our packaging products. And yes, we have ReadiPost products but the majority of offices I am aware of cannot adequately display the products we have now due to the layout of lobby. For example, if we knocked out one wall in our office we could expand the retail product area 120sq ft. You can't sell something, that the customer doesn't know you have.
    We have tried some very innovative ways to display with a proven increase in sales. We are limited severely by the confines of a window lobby that has minimal area to display (not to mention to store supplies for easy selection for customers) Not to forget it takes time for the clerks to sell products that we have no room to display but could be a solution to their packaging needs.
    Rural offices provide packaging supplies to customers that will not or prefer not to travel 15-20 miles to a town with a store that might carry packing supplies.

After all of this "rationalizing" -read shut down and dismember-plants....The system is slowing down and providing less service. Processing of mail is being done further and further away from post offices. Although management says there are no delays, there are. Even OIG can prove carriers get out later, city carrier routes have been so consolidated that overtime is now a norm....There is no "free" time. And you suggest that carriers be digitaly enhanced? I'd respectfully suggest that you get out of the office, become a carrier for a month....Listen to those who DELIVER the mail. The same people who make usps the most trusted part of government in the eyes of our customers. Carriers willl give you an eyeful of digital enhancement and at the same time a bunch of worthwhile ideas. ps Merry Christmas from the carriers who will be working Friday, will OIG be open?

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   3 months 6 days ago

Rachel, I hear you loud and clear. This year I have had 3 packages sent from my local Post Office by Priority Mail. Each and every one of them took between 5 to 7 days for delivery to the recipient. I have complained by phone to the Post Office General's office, I have sent an email request for a refund (with detailed information as they request) and I have never heard a thing back; NOT EVEN A PHONE CALL!!! Now whenever possible, I will use UPS. Unfortunately, when you send something in a "ready post envelope, you have no choice but to use the local post office; that is why I sent it Priority this time; it was to have arrived on Dec. 22nd and as of the 24th is it still sitting in Fayetteville, NC - And the post office wonders why they are losing customers and money.

• Reply to: Workforce Flexibility – Would it Work for the Postal Service?   3 months 6 days ago

I took the USPS career website exam in late Oct. (candidate #81359079). At the end of the exam you are emailed a link to take assessment test #473 with a very limited time to do so. As a result the career website lists me as failed and unqualified to apply for any USPS position. How do I arrange to take this test? The other problem is the driving history section with a question on damage to the vehicle expecting a % answer and the site will not accept any number I provide. I cannot find a website or person to help me with this situation which is very annoying. Why doesn't a help line exist??? Please help me solve these problems.