• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

We have 5 day delivery already in 10 weeks of every year.( http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2009.asp )
    They usually consist of a week of 5 10+ hour days. Making the other 42 weeks into 5 day would have a similar effect, and the 10 4 day weeks would be crushing.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

On City Routes: any street with sidewalks must have mailboxes on the sidewalk, any street without sidewalks must have curbside delivery.

Yes, this is a reduction in service, as is the current elimination of 200,000 blue boxes that have been pulled in the last few years.

We don't have milk delivery to our house anymore, and the garbage man no longer walks 150 feet up our driveway to the garage to retreive our rubbish and carry it to the truck , as he did in the 1960's. Walking up and down dozens of stairs for one mailbox is a ridiculous legacy , the cost of which is burdensome.
    Hardship delivery points would be excepted, of course.
    We have 5 day delivery already 10 weeks of every year. They turn into a week of 5 10+ hour days.
    making the other 42 weeks into 5 day would have a similar effect most weeks, and the 10 4 day weeks would be crushing.

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 11 months ago

Postal employees are well compensated for their work, already, and the expectation should be for exceptional service. The biggest problem with awards and incentives, in my experience, is that they are rarely given fairly or at least that is the perception of most other employees. The only way it would be effective is if there was a very well defined set of criteria, known to all, used to determine who gets such awards or incentives AND everyone who meets that criteria receives the same award or incentive. That would set a bar for employees to reach, rather than demoralizing good employees who are left out due to favoritism in the workplace.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 11 months ago

Sir, I basically have one question. Who will be able to carry/walk 7 hours a day for 30 years carrying a satchel full of mail/weight ( 20 lbs avg ) and make it to retirement ?

no one in the southeast michigan district ever got more than a movie ticket (if they were craft) Managers get it all, for doing nothing, not working, etc. etc.

Why doesn't the OIG ever investigate fraud and misuse and abuse by management, but always craft?

I am a letter carrier and I do the best job I can. I do not want cash or gifts just maybe an occasional pat on the back with "good job". Instead I get a knife in the back with "go carry extra on joe blow's route, NOW!" or "we are going to make your route longer". All I expect is my paycheck but five times in the last six months I have had to wait to get it four days late. I was told it was lost but it would eventually show up. I'll still do the best I can. Somebody around here has to get the mail delivered!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

Right on, 100% !!!!!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

If the USPS set up city delivery like the rurals, how would the carriers be paid? Rurals get paid well for mounted delivery, and every step on a dismount is counted and they are paid for it accordingly. City carriers would have to be paid 10 times as much as rural carriers, if they were using the same system of pay. Not to mention, the increase in trips and falls when carriers are running their routes or other ailments that result from carrying mail. The expenses in accidents and lost work time would be large, to say the least. There is a monumental difference between rural delivery, and city delivery. It would not work, unless city carriers are paid waaaaaaaay more than rural carriers, and I don't see that happening.

The only problem is that the awards never make it down to the craft employees. i saw an audit the OIG did in the Western District and saw that money had been spent on employee awards of TVS, computers, etc. I can guarantee you that the craft employees did not receive any such gifts. Its called embezzlement. Theft. Someone should go to jail!

We're a goverment agency regardless !
    Do FBI agents get a cash reward if they catch a crook?

Does a soldier in Irag get a prize if he kills an enemy?

Does a Congressman get a bonus if he votes?

Why should USPS give rewards for doing your job???

no--- because its a goverment job. and the more you reward mang. the more they will do anything aganist there fellow employees to get it.

No I do not think that large awards are appropriate, especially right now, However I read with interest that there are espresso makers, GPS system, Personal Computers being given as awards. These must be MANAGEMENT Perks and awards because Us lowly carriers are lucky to get 2 free movie tickets as a reward or recognition for a job well done, and even those have pretty much stopped.why doesn't the inspection service or OIG track that!

No.....Why? Because Post Office is a government agent. I was so proud when I got hired from Post Office. I thought I work for American people, but now I found out I'm working for Postal Management, our managers.

We should consider delivering mail on business routes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Resedential routes on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturday. This would reduce carrier complement by 1/2 and vehicle usage by the same amount.

If any union accepts reduction of pay, do what I will do....get out of it. Saturdays off is the only answer!

I want what managers get....millions for doing nothing that requires any mind power. How hard can it be to pick up your #2 pencil and erase my true figures to unrealistic figures that suit your needs? PHHHAlleezzze!!!!!

If you HAVE to give out "rewards", how about giving them to the people who actually TOUCH the mail?
    PFP, give me a break, it's a reward for riding the carriers, clerks and mail handlers.

Of course good employees should be rewarded in the postal service as in any other company. It is a good incentive for excellence.

Save the money to reduce costs. Employees should already be doing a job at 125% because our jobs may be eliminated.

postal employees should be rewarded, but under the present system of management, it would not be fair. when Akron Ohio was still a district, I submitted 12 ideas. All of them were conviently "lost" and I was never able to ascertain whether any of the idaes were stolen. Too many of my superiors do not have the intelligence,responsibility, or iniative to see such a program properly through. Ihave never been properly rewarded for my contributions to the postal service,nor do i expect same. my 30 year certificate from the USPS even had my first and last names interchanged. Some days you are the bug, others you are the windshield

The USPS pays us well, above and beyond most other employees, so there is no real need for this except the greed that is there with this type of bonus. People will pay themselves and their friends, it is a corrupt system.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

Dear OIG...I understand that you all are also human and can only take so much bad mouthing of mgmt in these postings so let me put the postal service in perspective, treating it as if it were a typical American..........................................................Lets say we were weened from the nest in 1972 and told everyone we no longer wanted to eat mothers cooking but rather have the option to go out sometime and go out we did....at the time we were young, slim and very active and we were succesful as well, We loved eating out and fast food was our favorite...Hamburgers, hotdogs, tacos, fried chicken, you name it we loved it...Well as the years past our waist started getting bigger and bigger, but that was the least of our problems...The Doctor had diagnoste us with Diabetes....and said you need to trim the fat from your waist or your going to have trouble down the road...Well here we are back in the Doctors office and the doctor tells us that you haven't lost any weight and the circulation in your feet have pretty much gone and we are going to have to amputate your toes...(station closures) I think you know what happens after that....gman in pdx

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

My station is on the short list for closure...No one from Mgmt has even visited my office We have 3 clerks and net over $800,000 anually... THATS NET...Its not called closure its called consolidation, pardon me...We have
    an office out by the airport (glen widing) which is staffed by a dozen managers and the annual rent is over $200,000 and they net zero dollars for the Post Office...Isn't it funny how I'm on the short list and they are not...Somethings got to give...PLEASE HELP US...

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

I agree with the Saturday PO Box delivery. This would finally make PO Box service a true "Premium service" for the smaller offices, and be a possible revenue windfall. I think you can do 6 days in the non delivery offices pretty easily, since all of their mail would be po box mail, whereas the mail in the delivery offices would have issues with seperating the box mail from the street mail. Also a good way to make the smaller offices more productive, and take some of the load off the bigger offices.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

the usps should work with the postal unions to develope an acceptable plan to go to 5-day delivery.obviously it is in the best interest of all that this accomplished.unfortunately the fear of how jobs are eliminated for the rank and file is preventing the parties from cooperating.
    if the po were to do layoffs (as many fear would happen)it would cost $25,000+ per employee in severance and unemployment comp.if they would use this money instead to offer early out bonuses, i believe they would easily accomplish the 15% reduction in the workforce, which would be needed.the po would also have a much younger, more capable workforce who make less per hour, have less vacation time and are not sitting on a mountain of sick leave and ready to use it.
    by coming up with a plan that avoids layoff and possibly makes PTFs, regulars and TEs, PTFs, the po would not only win over congress, but also the unions who have much influence with congress. WIN_WIN