• Reply to: How Do You Get Government Information?   6 hours 27 min ago

Thanks for your comment. I agree that getting an email from an agency rather than a letter would be suspicious at times.

I'm curious whether your organization uses FedEx for expedited items more out of convenience or habit, or whether you have conducted an analysis to determine whether and when overnight delivery is essential. Are there times when less expensive 2- or 3-day delivery might suffice?

• Reply to: How Do You Get Government Information?   6 hours 31 min ago

We're sorry you haven't received your certified mail. If you aren't getting a resolution by contacting the postmaster at your Post Office, please contact USPS consumer affairs at https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-cam.cfm?

• Reply to: How Do You Get Government Information?   9 hours 4 min ago

Thank you for your response. What form do you envision this requirement taking (statute, executive order, etc.), and who would be responsible for enforcement?

• Reply to: How Do You Get Government Information?   1 day 2 hours ago

I haven't recived my certified mail. This nightmare started 1/5/2015. I Missed the mail carrier he left me a notice for redelivery and I did that three times. Yesterday they lied about coming out again. Some call told me they're bring it today. Just more lies. Could some one help me please. My tracking numbers At my email

• Reply to: How Do You Get Government Information?   1 day 2 hours ago

As a fed, I know that we correspond by mail on all official matters. This is important for credibility and reliability. The public needs to know what is official and what is not. I hear about people getting e-mails from the "IRS" and know that this would be a scam. The USPS is very important in supporting that reliability. The public needs to know that when they get a letter from a government agency that it is legitimate.

We do use express mail (fedex) for internal governmental mail when needed but not the USPS, although I dont know why. Perhaps it was competitive bidding. I suspect so since it would be an expensive line item, so I wonder what happened.

The fedex person uses USPS tubs, so we're almost using the USPS!

• Reply to: How Do You Get Government Information?   1 day 2 hours ago

I think federal government agencies should be required to use the Postal Service for a specific percentage of their mailings. Especially as agencies like SSA and OPM turn to electronic communication and EFTs, this source of revenue could be important to the Postal Service. Thanks.

• Reply to: Can the Mail Covers Program Protect Privacy and Aid Law Enforcement Investigations?   1 day 2 hours ago

Thank you for responding. Mail covers should only be authorized if or after all Postal Service and federal requirements are met. The Postal Inspection Service has established procedures to ensure mail covers are reviewed for compliance with requirements. Our audit will review the procedures and determine whether they are working as intended.

Sincerely,
    OIG Human Resources and Support Team

The Postal Service uses photographs of the exterior of mailpieces primarily for sorting, but makes them available for law enforcement if requested. Images are generally stored for between 7 and 30 days before being disposed. Keeping the images for that period may be necessary to ensure delivery accuracy, forward mail, or make sure proper postage was paid.

Mail cover information is not photographed and stored permanently. Federal guidelines state that no mail cover shall remain in force longer than 120 continuous days unless personally approved for further extension by the Chief Postal Inspector or designees at National Headquarters.

Sincerely,
    OIG Human Resources and Support Team

Thank you for responding.

The requesting law enforcement agency must explain what law the subject of the mail cover is violating and how the mail cover could further the investigation or provide evidence of a crime. Mail covers should only be authorized if or after all Postal Service and federal requirements are met. The Postal Inspection Service has established procedures to review and approve each mail cover request to ensure compliance with all guidelines. Our audit will review the procedures and determine whether they are working as intended.

Sincerely,
    OIG Human Resources and Support Team

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It is already public knowledge that the outsides of all USPS mailpieces are photographed and stored permanently in a database. Like any database, this information becomes vulnerable to unauthorized disclosure, by law enforcement abuse, hacking, and other means. This amounts to the demise of USPS mail privacy. The USPS should investigate the total impact of this important "end of privacy" event. The USPS should not distract itself with a focused investigation into the Mail Covers system, since the electronic threat to mail privacy is broader, more invasive, and more difficult to audit.

Mail covers while certainly one of many investigative tools available to law enforcement, the process itself lends to abuse and coercion. Customers using the US Mail have the right and expectancy of privacy. Mail sanctity is like the Post Office's Prime Directive. By freely granting mail covers to any law enforcement agency merely on request may constitute a violation of that privacy. Why? Who? What purpose? Questions that need to be addressed prior to granting this request can lend credence to the effective tool but abuse will achieve the complete opposite of what the Postal Service is about. I have seen many mail covers and through all that I have seen, nary went to prosecution. I had felt at the time that the mail covers were more abusive than necessary, and had wondered just what were they looking for. In response to your questions I feel that as more of the mail processing is outsourced, less confidentiality will be encountered since these outsourced 'vendors' have not been vetted by OPM as Postal Workers have been. As for statistics on mail covers being made public, I feel that this would degrade the mail cover as an investigative tool and propel the 'bad guys' to find an alternative miens of communicating.

• Reply to: What is most important to you when you visit a Post Office?   1 day 2 hours ago

Amy,

Thanks for your comment, very interesting insight. One of the things we are planning to look at during our review is whether SSA’s are receiving the training they are supposed to be getting at Premier Post Offices. As many of the Premier Post Offices tend to be in high traffic areas, it will be interesting to see how many have the time and staff to complete the required training.

Thanks,

Premier Post Office audit team

Your online services are so good that the only reason I need to go into my post office (1148 Soquel Ave
    Santa Cruz, CA 95062) is to address the my mail delivery issues w/them, IF I could get through on the phone
    I wouldn't need to go in but the phone line is busy from the time they open till closing. (really?) I am at a loss as to
    what to do about my mail delivery or lack of. I have had to change all my bank accounts three times in 18 months
    because my mail goes over one street & the people keep it. My addressis 510 alta loma lane ---their address 510 logo
    lane. Sigh....what's a gal to do?????

It is incredible that when Premier Post Offices were established one of their requirements was not that their
    PO Box lobby be open all the time. What is "Premier" when people can not get their mail after supper or all
    weekends?

This is just as bad as post offices with APCs that are still locked at nights and Sundays. Why have their lobbies
    never been secured so people can use these machines all the time?

Postal Management can not understand that they do not generate any revenue when the retail windows
    are closed and the box lobby with APCs are locked

Headquarters does a terrible job of overseeing what Districts spend money on. And why some parts of
    America have clean and open postal lobbies. While other states claim they have no money to modernize
    their lobbies. Why don't they when other states can?

The worst places for locked lobbies continues to be the Lakeland, Greater Indiana, Central Illinois,
    Northern New England, Long Island and Boston Districts. Why is nothing done to improve these
    parts of America?

A major upside of the POSTPlan is how hundreds of small offices are now able to have their lobbies open
    all the time with no adverse affects. While none of these are Premier offices, this service alone is a huge
    improvement.

Megan Brennan can do something useful if she changes her attitude on this important topic.
    And mentors these low performing Districts so they can leave more lobbies open. With the idea
    that everyone's mail is important. And customers should be able to access it at any time all
    over America.

I love lobby directors, who help facilitate activities, sales and access to supplies. I like it when they have a mobile device to make a sale of stamps or other products, too.

If the clerk who helps me is pleasant, I'm usually content with the transaction. Gushing is not necessary, just pleasant professionalism!

Digital Signage, inform and entertain customers while waiting in line. Let them scan qr codes with their smart phones and have them play a free game. Entice people to come to the post office.

Went to the North Newark branch Post Office in Newark, NJ yesterday. Arrived at 1205 pm to pick up a package. I had been noticed by email that the package was returned to post office and a notice left in my mailbox. (Pink slipv, was never left) waiter in line 55 minutes. I was the 28th person in line. Get to window, there is only one postal worker tending to all. Package was no there, directed to call delivery supervisor and no answer. Spoke to our building security who stated that mail had not been delivered Friday or Saturday

Overall complaints: wait time, unfriendly postal workers both as mail carriers and in the post office.
    Specific complaint: My husband and I both took off of work to take our children to get their passports. I had called ahead after finding out the local post office wasn't offering the passport service that day to another post office in another town. The lady told me they closed at 4:30 and to get there a little sooner. We arrived as soon as we possibly could (close to 20 min before closing). As we walked through the door a postal worker announced there would be no one else entering the line for passports. I politely asked if we could possibly squeeze in the line since we'd both taken time to drive all the way there AND that I had called ahead and been told to arrive "a little sooner" than 4:30. The lady told me sorry but the computer just "shuts down" at 4:30 and there's nothing she can do about it but please come back Monday..."mornings are great." Poor Customer Service. Poor.

I agree with all of the above comments, with one additional comet. I am a proud USPS SSA. It disgusts me the way the management "teams" conduct business. Some executive in Washington came up with some unexplainable system to give SASs credit for waiting on customers who are not purchasing any products and this is supposed to report how many clerks are needed on the window. THE SYSTEM IS FLAWED! If I wait. On a customer who wants information on getting a passport i get credit for about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. But I work at a city Main Post Office and the majority of our passport information sessions can take up to 1/2 hour because the customer does not speak or understand english very well. Using the USPS "system" i can only be credited with 2 1/2 minutes of work which took me 30 minutes. So mamangement uses these unrealistic numbers to tell us the window operation only "earns" 1 clerk at any given time giving the the green light to cut clearks AND work stations. i challenge the new PMG and her "Executive Leadership Team" to come and do my job in the time frames they have given us. It is unrealistic and cutting your nose off to spite your face. And my office is a Premier office which is a joke - they HAVE NO TRAINING OR STAFF TO USE THE SO CALLED TOOLS.

I agree with other customers the wait time and poor customer relations. Training will help in some areas and someone to supervise the retail operation that has sales skills as well as Customer relations. Supervisor should stand in line posing as a customer. Put themselves in the customer position and listen to the customer. Sweep the lobby and let them know they care for you and want your business. What can I do for you today. Eliminate the retail clerks from just saying NEXT, how rude is that. Smile would help dress professional sometimes I wonder if they slept in their clothing??????

I'm tired of bringing my child in to the post office and hearing cussing and talk of a sexual nature.

MINIMIZE THE WAIT TIME! Hire more clerks at busy post offices, like the downtown Berkeley Post Office, so that people, myself included, do not have to wait for 1/2 hour to get served!!!!

Having enough clerks to actually help you.

It is important to me that the facility is well lit, clean, organized and has ample of stock and stamps on hand. The inside and outside should well kept - look inviting; not dingy and dirty.
    We need to come up with an absolute way to reduce the customer’s wait-time-in-line and to correct the behavior/attitudes of some of the individuals who are servicing them. There should be a mandated annual training that the Sales & Service Associate (SSA's) and their managers must take that teach them customer etiquette. A customer gets frustrated after just 2 minutes in line and to have to deal with an unprofessional representative of the USPS takes them over the top.
    I only (prefer) to conduct my personal business at two Postal facility in my commuting area. The reason being is that they meet the criteria’s that I listed above. If the line is long, the customers wait patiently because the USPS staff there treats their customer in way that keeps them coming back.