• Reply to: Postal Service Customer Service Is It Working for You?   2 months 1 week ago

Dear Sir(s),
    I had placed an order with a supplier located in Argentina for a parcel that would have probably been a simple padded envelope. I reside in Andover Kansas, 67002. The order was placed on 18-DEC-2014 and I never have received it. The Package was sent by Registered Mail (RR652462680AR). According to the Tracking information from the USPS website – this item has been sitting stagnant at the Jamaica, New York 11430 since 28-DEC-2014. Today at this writing it is Sunday, 18-JAN-2015 and the parcel is still indicated to be at this location.
    Please assist in getting it moving again? USPS International customer service had asked me to notify the sender of the issue as the inquiry needed to be instigated by the sender. I asked the sender to initiate a claim on his end, however, the sender is finding it quicker and easier to send out a new delivery of goods purchased. That is a sad way to resolve an issue.
    If the item has made it to a US facility, then why can’t I instigate the claim? I have provided the Tracking info, and the USPS has a known location as to the whereabouts.
    Regards,
    Scott Leggat

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 1 week ago

What about the delivery needs of old people in rural areas? I have an aunt & uncle who are in there late 80's. My uncle has arthritis so bad that if he falls down he can't get backup by himself and my aunt sorta shuffles along and can't hear very well. They have to cross a major highway in rural Iowa to pickup their mail. Yes they still drive, but not real well; but is pulling across the road to get the mail daily is a chance they need to take. They have a large driveway that the carrier could pull into if the mail box could be moved. The carrier could easily turn around in their drive (it's wide enough to park 3 cars side by side) and get back on to the highway. I've read the form concerning moving mail boxes and it sure isn't written in favor of letting old couples stay independent. There's a lot of difference between driving daily and driving once a week especially when it involves pulling directly onto a major highway.

• Reply to: Meter Mail Refunds: “Is There A Better Way?”   2 months 1 week ago

How old the meter have to be to do a refund or if there is a limits?.

• Reply to: Do you find flexibility policies helpful or harmful in your workplace?   2 months 1 week ago

You cited examples of flexibility in European countries.....Bid difference between them and USA....They have nationalized healthcare...Part-time employees have healthcare....Our do not or are paying through the nose....let's compare apples to apples. How much would usps be saving if there was a national healthcare plan????

• Reply to: Which of the three options are you most interested in seeing the Postal Service pursue?   2 months 1 week ago

Yes, the trucks have heat controls in them. But when you have a walking route, the vehicle never runs long enough to create any heat at all. HEAT, COLD doesn't matter the job is not easy, it just looks that way. There are ALOT of hazards the public never sees. As a good friend of mine says "Profession = Someone that makes a difficult job look easy".

The postal service has an incestuous policy when it comes to hiring and promoting employee. It is generally who you know. Not what you know. While flexible schedules is helpful. Performance and capabilities need to be the basis for hiring and promotion. Right now in the Portland OR District, there is an attrition rate of 40% for CCAs, PSEs and MHA. Primarily, while a few are leaving because they do not like the work, the majority are leaving because of the way they are treated and worked. Until, the culture changes, USPS is going to have problems holding the new recruits. Further, the morale of the old timers continues to get worse.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   2 months 1 week ago

mail is always important to people and we want to make sure it gets initially in the hands of a human, instead of a machine. there's a huge amount of security felt when handing your mail to an actual person at the counter, versus being unsure of the use of the kiosk, especially when most people are ignorant or even in some cases "intimidated" by the many shipping options available. that to me is by far one of the biggest reasons many of us prefer to stand in line and be helped by a human at the counter who has superior knowledge in shipping. our Mail is just that important to us...

When you think of weather, my husband delivered for years in a climate that had over 100 degree temps starting in early May and lasting thru half of September. He would come home totally exhausted. Also remind people that postal vehicles have heat for winter, but no air conditioners for summer, the inside of there vehicle can be in excess of 145 degrees.

We have flexibility policies in the federal agency I work for, but I don't use them myself. I find that I'm more productive in the office and I enjoy the office atmosphere in doing my work.

I did read your white paper on this topic and I do suspect that the USPS could benefit from such policies in attracting and retaining staff at all levels of the organization. As an employer competing for employees on the open market, you are right in saying that you would be at a competitive disadvantage if you didn't offer flexible work options.

Is the quit rate for non-career employees really 29%?? I read in your paper that these folks are paid at a lower rate and have fewer benefits (I think you say that they have the minimum benefits as allowed by law). I'm unsure that any flexibility policies will really address that kind of a gap. Annualizing my hours may be meaningless if I don't have health insurance for me or my child, for example. There's a balance and without knowing more, I wonder if the flexible work practices will have much impact on these employees.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   2 months 2 weeks ago

I agree with many here who say the kiosks are too confusing, and often slow. After speaking to a clerk yesterday, I went home with a priority mail envelope. When I took it back today, the line was long, so I did use the kiosk. To my dismay, the printed postage label was so large that it almost covered the address label, which I had placed more or less in the center of the space indicated. I managed to place the postage so that it didn't cover the destination address.

Then I was left holding the bag - I mean, envelope - and not knowing what to do with it. It wouldn't fit through the mail slots inside. There was no collection box marked for priority mail. And the line was even longer than when I arrived. Being the impatient person that I am, I interrupted the clerk to ask if I could put it in the regular mailbox outside, and he offered to take it off my hands.

Part of my hesitation was because the clerk yesterday told me that if I purchased regular postage from him, I would have to hand the package into a clerk for anything over 13 ounces. (I had asked about having my mail carrier pick it up.)

There's too many rules that seem inconsistent. And the names that the USPS uses are really confusing, as people here have commented. Priority mail Express and priority mail 1-day? What's the difference? When you find out that priority mail 1-day doesn't mean 1 day, it's kind of makes mistrust all the product names that the post office uses. Which is why people end up going to the clerk, because only they really understand what is what.

Priority mail flat rates actually seem like a good deal money-wise, once you understand them, but I still don't understand the system well enough to find it efficient.

• Reply to: Do you find flexibility policies helpful or harmful in your workplace?   2 months 2 weeks ago

Rather than leaving the flexibility policies to be found by employees, how about service talks?

• Reply to: Which of the three options are you most interested in seeing the Postal Service pursue?   2 months 2 weeks ago

what ignorant people who want to abolish the USPS is that UPS, FedEx, et al NEED the Post office to deliver their packages, otherwise they would lose business since they deliver door-to-door EVERYWHERE. Also UPS has NEVER required a signature, they just throw packages on doorstep for anyone to steal; FedEx will not allow you to pick packages at local store, instead of trying to get to an inaccessible central site. I trust USPS before any other delivery service. What article did not mention is that if USPS could change payment plaan for pensions, they would not be in red!

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 2 weeks ago

Hello Eddie,

We thank you for contacting our offices and we apologize for this inconvenience. In order for our offices to begin looking into this matter, please file a complaint online at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form.

As well, if you provide us with your postal code we can give you the contact information for local USPS Consumer Affairs Office.

• Reply to: What do you think was the top postal story of 2014?   2 months 2 weeks ago

No matter how well thought out all the suggestions are for improving the postal service are, if anyone has the nerve to speak of Improving "employee moral" without suggesting eliminating management abuse, they do not know a thing that takes place on postal workroom floors across the country.

If all your personal information had been hacked from Postal Service data bases, postal banking would not be so high on your list of priorities. My social, my banking, my medical records, my everything may have been breached and all I got was an apology letter and a year of so called free "credit monitoring" that I ASSUMED would include some type of automatic notifications either by phone or by e-mail if suspicious activity was noticed in my name. NO! NO! NO! The only thing "free" is a website to log in and monitor your OWN credit, anything "automatic" is for a fee, starting at $7.95 a month after 3 free months, and each of the different services, whether one prefers simple monitoring or notifications requires a fee. For all of you who are so eager to sign up for postal banking, beware. If the Postal Service cannot protect the identity of its employees, should you really trust it, and why would you want to anyway?

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 2 weeks ago

Pre holiday I had an issue of receiving four different neighbor's mailings to my physical box while also missing personal mail important to me as my title of my vehicle, still missing as of this date. I've phoned the USPS, sharing with the that we're experiencing many new mail carriers on our route and that the mails are beings placed within the wrong boxes and or not delivered at all. The USPS has given me up to this date three different Case Numbers, sharing with me that an individual shall call me Monday to discuss. Many a Monday's later, three Case Numbers and another item lost as of yesterday that the Tracking Number say's delivered I'm still waiting upon some answers. Please help, please please help. Thank You!

Shame on you, Patrick Donahoe and USPS!

Main Street could use the boost! So glad this is on the radar.

Postal banking (aka "non-bank financial services") is the sleeper issue of the year.

It will help to drive out predatory financial services including check cashers and, especially, payday lenders. As a big Wall Street-backed payday lender boasted, "often, our customers have nowhere else to turn."

Postal banking can restore tens of billions in exorbitant fees and interest ripped off from working families and retirees. These billions will flow mainly into lower-income neighborhoods, where folks will use it to pay rent, buy food, repair the car, afford medicine and maybe open a bank account — while reducing demand on public assistance.

Result? A huge economic boost to Main Street, at no cost to taxpayers.

If well designed, postal banking can even support local community banks and credit unions, just as the Postal Savings System did for over a half century.

No wonder the nonpartisan US Conference of Mayors adopted resolutions urging the USPS to implement postal banking. Congressional leaders are lining up in support. Everyone should get behind this effort.

Our great public institutions and assets, like the post office, are under relentless attack by privateers who believe everything is about making a profit. Public service is not a capitalist pursuit - it is a humanitarian one, a much higher rung on the social ladder. We must shake off the greed and get down to the need!

Yes, public banking in this form should be a welcome change for Americans seeking fairness and actually great benefits in banking as the State/Pulbic Bank of North Dakota has shown constantly since 1919, it's inception being a direct result of miners and ranchers of the area who despised wallstreet's take over of the printing of all our money, which is counterfeiting ! (art. 1, sec. 8, par. 6), which has been ignored by all but a few like L T McFadden, JFK etal. to their collective "detriment". Such is the power of debt-free money that the corrupt banks of America will do anything to stop their wholesale theft of all our labor in this fashion. The next mortgage you see will be all counterfeit money....then they make interest and fees on top of that ! A total insult to America, started by the ruthless Hamilton long ago, when we won the war for liberty but lost the victory of Ben Franklin's sovereign, debt-free money right away, he being too old to fight Hamilton at the Constitutional convention, and Jefferson either not yet fully understanding sovereign money for sovereign country or too old himself to stop Hamilton from becoming secretary of the treasury and establishing the bank of NY as our first "national" bank....which today is home to......the federal reserve ! Go figure. The sovereign loan money that this Postal/Public Bank system could use for loans would change everything for ALL Americans insofar as the "national debt" goes, most of which is unconstitutional and a blight on us all.

Postal banking is a "no brainer." It could save our post offices from being slowly squeezed to death by those who don't care about the public commons.

• Reply to: Postal Service Customer Service Is It Working for You?   2 months 2 weeks ago

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to notify our offices of this issue and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Since you have already spoken to customer service, we suggest filing a complaint online at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form. By completing this form it will provide our offices with the critical information needed to look into this matter further.

Thank you.

U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General

Dear Sirs,
    I sent a big flat box priority mail from the post office located in Newport, Oregon to sent sent to Olathe, Kansas, Tuesday, 1/6/15: Tracking NO.: 9114901159815605223729. I was told that expected delivery to Olathe, KS would be Thursday, 1/8/15.
    and imagine my surprise when I receive USPS tracking e-mail notice that my "priority mail" flatbox was mailed to my home address in Toledo, OR. Although It was addressed properly in the TO and FROM areas on the box and even though the correctly addressed bar code was placed on the "priority mail" flat box by the USPS clerk, whoever handled my package -- once the package arrived in Portland Oregon USPS mail warehouse, it was then sent to my home address in Toledo, Oregon.

When I called Customer Service about it, I was told I could pick up the package and put on another mailing label & pay for the shipping AGAIN. I contacted the Toledo, OR post office, and was told the bar code was correctly addressed to the recipient business in Kansas.

Really disappointed at this kind of service; both the USPS in not being able to read their own bar code & misdirect my package -- and again by Customer Service which told me they can only direct me to resend my package at my expense.

Proper business procedure would be for USPS to send my "priority box" express mail - at your expense - so it would be delivered in the quickest time to my original destination.

I am Very disappointed with the USPS handling of this matter. and I will start taking my packages to Fed Ex or UPS for delivering my packages.

Hello Ms. Hechem,

Please file a complaint online at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form. By completing this form it will provide our offices with the critical information needed to look further into this matter.

Thank you.