• Reply to: Will Electronic Reader Technology Affect the Postal Service?   5 years 11 months ago

The newspaper business could save themselves by taking their product offline. They hurt themselves by putting it on there to begin with. They have only themselves to blame.

Sometimes change isn't better. Look at all the business's going under because of all the "changes"

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

I am with you Tina....AMEN

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

Why does a small office with 12 employees need a 80,000.00 plus Postmaster who never shows up for work but maybe an hour 3 times a week and a Supervisor who makes 60,000.00 to cover for him 6 hrs day? Leave the carriers who deliver the mail and do their jobs alone because without them there is no need for fatcats if they don't have anyone to manage our carriers run our own office management doesn't care they're never there.Reduce their pay and benefits most don't even have but a high school edu. There are people out of work who would work for a third of their fat salaries to do nothing.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

This new idea of closing the post office is crazy, I can think of 1,000 other reasons to cut cost in the post office.....management, upper management, they get paid (well I might add) for sitting around their offices doing nothing for the majority of the day. They criticize their carriers for slacking off and doing insignificant mishaps, ie, taking to long in the bathrooms, rocking back and forth while they are casing....who cares? as long as they are productive and hard working, leave the carriers alone....cut the fat at the top!!!!

• Reply to: Crime Takes No Holiday   5 years 11 months ago

Theft is a lot more common than you think. It is easy in some places because the secuirty is so minimalistic. One employee where I work alked out with a tray of new credit cards and then tried to sell them at a local farmer's market. Catching up to him was not instantaeous, as it should be. Took about ten days. A lot of people look the other way.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

Here is what I think. The USPS should be able to fire any employee who doesn't want to work and are pretty much gaming the system to draw a paycheck. Incentivize our work and productivity will increase. I have seen too many employees drag out 8 hours with only 5 or 6 hours of work. Work the mail and go home.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 11 months ago

Make your best guess, and fill out a PS form 3996. Call back as soon as you realize you are going over your estimate, if necessary. DPS makes no change in your notifying management of overtime.

The Postal Service can't deliver home town newspapers in a timely manner. I get none for days, then 3 at a time. This has been the case for years.
    How is $876,000,000 for a machine going to fix this?
    Money to sort an ever DECREASING flow of flats. Shaft the periodical mailers for efficiency in mailing Victoria's Secret catalogs.
    Find out how carriers work most efficiently and make the machines work that way. One bundle, and pull the vacant homes, moves and holds. Let the carrier have input into the system to register vacant homes, moves and holds. Allow carriers to view and modify the change of address system. Why keep the new addresses secret from the carriers? Once the forwarding time expired, how will customers get the once every other year vehicle registration, Greeting cards from distant friends and relatives, and that tax refund check? Good carriers look up the new address after the forwarding period expires and send those important things on.
    As the percentage of mail that is standard rate business mail increases, and first class diminishes, more and more people will stop checking their mailboxes. I have several now. I have to hold their mail 10 days before disposing of it, and start all over again.
    The Postal Service needs to find the right way to prepare mail for delivery, and that is single bundle. Carriers would sort residual mail, and insert it into the single bundle, maintaining the integrity of the single bundle. Management must concentrate on increasing parcel services. Flat rate boxes and click and ship are good starts. The volume needs to increase to compensate for the loss of first class volume.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

Why not offer an incentive to those employees that are eligible for full retirement, and add 5 years service to those employees that are eligible for the early out. you might actually get people to go with a little push

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

When the government takes over the P.O. we will not have a union or the benefits or the paycheck, etc. Socialism does not promote unions.

ive been a rural carrier for 22 years near atlanta am trying to get dol to accept my claim but guess what? not enough med. evidence is there a list of dr.s that will at least admit my job contributed to this? is there a trick to this that im missing?thanks

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 11 months ago

There already is dissension among employees. Our postal workers in our town never get thank yous. TU's, a card, a pat on the back, SOMETHING... would go a long way & doesn't cost anything. They don't even get a donut or lunch when they pass mystery shops consecutively anymore like the old postmasters used to do. Their pay is cut and cut and cut & mgmt is on their back & on their back just to make their numbers & so mgmt will get their xmas bonus.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

I agree with the solution to save money is to cut management at least in 1/2. They deal with the same problems every day instead of finding a solution. As far as supervision, the people in the main office in PGH. call all the shots which leads me to believe that the PM position is now a low level management position and supervisor is now a no level management position. I don't see them getting any more done in 8hrs on the clock.Maybe they should pivot to other offices. We have supervisors doing clerk and mail handler jobs due to no personnel. They are paid a lot more than the person they let go. There is the u.s.p.s. management in action, but they think they got it right.They should add the prefix mis infront of management.

Mr. ataboy, you need to elect direct deposit option for your paycheck. One less problem to deal with! Keep up the good regardless how managment treat you. After all, you work for an organization that pays you well and didn't require a college degree.

I think it will promote dissension between employes.
    find a way to reward all employes of a work unit when
    they excel.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

As I have written in several posts around this website, magagement needs to slow down the developement of new technologies, use what is currently available, and go into the black before investing any further capital. Focus on sustaneable work, not anticpiating growth. This where the USPS falls in line with places like GM, making more cars that can be sold, or not of the best quality, when the material exists to do better.

There are too many managers who opt for lying about what is around the post office when it comes to counting the mail, and doing it to ensure bonuses. A manager was walked out of the Post Office in Philadelphia for falsifying records and mail counts. I knew that man. He deserved it.

And back in 1984, I submitted ideas about computerized delivery to a manager. I was told "Computers are a passing fad."

And I submitted a set of ideas I copped from UPS, and it dealth with scanners and packages and registered mail and was told it was too expensive.

I submitted an idea to lasar cancellers in the cancelling machines. It would end ink outage, spiilage and damaging letters from overflow and cancel most everything. I was told the mechanics couldn't figure out how to install them. And besides, the ink already works...right?

I have gotten "awards" from management: I was given bland cheese pizza and coupons for McDonalds (a place I never eat at)...
    So, the place is open to innovation, but don't expect rewards. Ideas come from outside sources, which get paid immensely.

As a former letter carrier (11 years) and current HQ Field Unit employee, I can tell you, the other side is not that great. The PFP is a joke. It depends entirely on favoritism by the manager. We have to jump thru hoops and circles and still get less than nothing, while those who are favorites are the only ones who are even able to talk to the manager. AND we don't get a COLA, step increases, nada. I know being a LC is harder than ever, but I enjoyed it more than the environment here.

Does anyone else see this blog as a tremendous fishing expedition?

Nearly every post is looking for stuff to nail the Postal Service on.

Very creative...but very deceptive.

I FEEL THAT INDIVIDUALS THAT ARE EXCEPTIONAL WORKERS WHOULD BE REWARDING ACCORDING.YOU ARE NEVER TOLD THANK YOU OR GOOD JOB,YOU JUST ADDED ADDITIONAL WORK. MAYBE IT WOULD GIVE OTHERS(SLACKERS)SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT AND CHANGE THE WORK ETHICS OF THOSE PEOPLE.

If "managers" could really make a decision, then I might agree but that is NOT the case. There is more bad management than I have ever witnessed, with no limit to the waste of $$$$. If higher level management would let the line managers make decisions based on business and logic, fire the bad inept ones and keep the good ones, we would be in a much better place today )-:

I totally agree, but would add that the "reward" system also needs to be re-vamped! Favoritism, especially among the races seems to be how awards are doled out. Do other "gov't" agencies give out bonusus/rewards?

Sure, why not. Annually, the USPS publishes
    a list of organizations, who we can elect, a 'combined contribution" to. Everyone receives
    this publication in the fall.

Service awards for performance could be linked to
    this program, in the name of the awarded employee.
    And, consequently place the burden of a "tangible
    reward", if any, identified qualified organization.

Hey this would be GREAT, if it actually happened. I'm one of the hardest working carriers in my office, and I'm lucky If I get a "thanks for helping out today" even once a month. This is one of the largest problems with the post office today. If employee's were ACTUALLY rewarded for doing a good job, some kind of incentive,(bonus, move to next pay grade, something) there would no longer be the pervasive laziness that is throughout the post office. Because now the only way to get more money is to go soooooooooooooooo slow that you get some overtime. Here's an idea, set the routes like the rural's and simply state this is how much the route is worth. And just watch the carriers start rolling in early just so they can feel like they are getting paid for not work they didn't have to do. Oh well, until the culture changes carriers will have no incentive to do a good job.

• Reply to: City Delivery Route Consolidation   5 years 11 months ago

I work ten years on all walking routes, finally bid up to a mixed walking/boxes route which I've kept for five years, saving on the wear and tear on my 61 year old body. So what does our union do, remove boxes and replace them with over 2 hours of walking, all in an effort to build routes for our handicapped carriers. Talk about over-the-top unfairness!!!!!