• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   7 hours 7 min ago

This kind of nonsense should STOP! The ONLY way to fix this is to do what they did in 1934 while that moron Farley was at the helm!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   8 hours 15 min ago

The upright Jenny was another attempt by the USPS to bilk collectors. I do use the new inverted jenny stamps on my packages and over-seas mail. Recipients love them.
    The best way to enhance support of the philatelic program is to return to water-soluble stamps. Soaking stamps is an excellent pastime and an easy way to introduce kids to stamp collecting.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   9 hours 10 min ago

Sometimes I am not sure the kiosk label will fit on the package or letter I am mailing. But if I know that isn't an issue and if I am not using a label I have printed from home, I will use the kiosk.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   11 hours 15 min ago

That is a very good point! We do receive a lot of revenue from EDDM and opening mailboxes to everyone would curtail this!

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   11 hours 21 min ago

Allowing just anybody to access mailboxes would be a security disaster.

What happens if mail starts to disappear after delivery? Who would police this?

Do we know if any background checks are being made on delivery employees from various companies?

Personally I do not want anybody but my USPS delivery person to have access to my locked mailbox. I know that I can trust the USPS employee and that my mailbox is secure.

I sincerely hope that "access to all" is not ever allowed!

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   12 hours 28 min ago

I feel that my mailbox is there for my mail only. My packages should be brought to my door and my door bell rung. Lately (last few years) UPS just drops the box in front of my door and then runs away. UPS employees do not have the common decency to ring my doorbell. Now why would I want someone like that to have access to my mail?

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   13 hours 23 min ago

Hi! Recently USPS left their current mystery shopping agency. Does anyone know who and how I can contact the person in charge of the program in the USPS? I'm trying to find out which agency won the bid and who they are contracting through now.

• Reply to: Trending Now . . . The U.S. Postal Service   17 hours 58 min ago

E-Commerce is a great way

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 2 hours ago

Some people in the USPS need to go to jail for fraud. To begin, intentional creation of errors has been adjudicated to be wrong after the Hammarskjöld and Thatcher Bridge issues, yet this issue deliberately flaunted the findings of the court. Next, there was a fraudulent announcement that the errors would be randomly distributed among the normal product, but this was a deliberate lie, as there was no intention to conform with this promise, and, although about half of the normal product has been sold, the bulk of the errors have been withheld. This is fraud known as "salting the mine" to sell the product to a credulous public. Either the liar or the parties who conspired to withhold the distribution (or both) should be prosecuted.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   1 day 8 hours ago

I and all the other stamp collectors I know were led to believe the USPS was going to randomly distribute all 100 right side up Jenny souvenir sheets throughout the US post offices. Any US post office, small or large had a equal chance of receiving one of these panes. Now we find out that larger post offices were given preference and smaller post offices never had a chance. In addition we learn that the USPS selected people from their mailing list to receive panes free. I have been a US stamp collector for almost 60 yrs. This process excluded me from a chance to receive a pane. I purchase hundreds of dollars worth of postage stamps a year from my local Post Office; most of which I collect and are never used for postage.
    The unfairness of the distribution of these upright Jenny Souvenir sheets has really soured my on collecting new US postage stamps. I don't get what they were thinking.

• Reply to: Going (More) Mobile   1 day 11 hours ago

I think one way to connect direct mail to the digital world via mobile would include a system to track consumer's path to purchase. If direct mail could be accurately tracked as the first touch (or awareness) of a product or service, then it would help to prove direct mail's role and influence on consumers. This is possible by placing unique mobile barcodes on mailpieces that are specific to each addressee. When the unique code is scanned it can be recorded in a mobile platform (in real time) and the visit to a specific landing page on the web can be attributed to that specific mailpiece. Most attribution models have no way to quantify and qualify direct mail - this is a way for the USPS to compete with the digital world and enhance its role to advertisers.

This technology exists, and better yet, it exists without the need to download and app! I know the USPS is currently offering a discount to those direct mail pieces that include mobile barcodes already. The company I work for, SpyderLynk, produces one of them called, SnapTag. I also know that unique QR codes are available and can be incorporated into direct mail via variable data printing. However, making the process more inclusive would increase responses. Not everyone has a smartphone and SnapTags work with any camera phone. With app overload being an increasing problem, it's nice to have so much functionality without having to download an app. Plus, integrating this technology with automated marketing platforms such as HubSpot or SilverPop would definitely promote the connection between direct mail and the digital world.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   1 day 12 hours ago

If this were to pass we would loose our ability to push EDDM. Right now if a person places an advertisement in a mailbox we can tell them it cannot go in without postage. EDDM is a successful part of our business because people get a discounted rate and can hand it to a Post Office and it gets delivered. If we allow anyone to use a box EDDM will see a big hit in sales.

• Reply to: The Delivery Revolution in Your Neighborhood   2 days 4 hours ago

You should check what is happening in Europe. Carriers have been grouping to trial initiatives of multi-carrier boxes such as ParcelHome.
    Customers want mailboxes to change and new businesses are emerging.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 22 hours ago

After reading thru the comments it seems the majority of collectors are not happy with the way the inverted jenny was distributed. I don't understand why the postal service is all of a sudden concerned with how their cash cow is operating.
    If their was any genuine concern, the stamp would have been issued as a "forever" or current postal rate, so that it was affordable and would be used for postage. There has been several of these "reissues" of older stamps, but always at a higher then needed value and too many on the sheet. We need more collector in decision making positions.

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   3 days 9 hours ago

I had a recent very unpleasant experience with the post office for a passport application for my minor child.

The post office in question (Encino Park, San Antonio, TX) has a phone number that you can call to get a passport appointment. The phone number is listed on the USPS.com site. The problem is that no one ever picks up the phone. As in never. I tried calling multiple times during the day during their published times (10 AM to 2 PM) and the phone just rings and rings. No one bothers to pick it up. I had to go the post office and stand in the line for close to 30 minutes to get an appointment that really should have been done over the phone. If the appointments are done over the phone as the regulations say, it would have saved me time as well as helped the post office in reducing the crowd at their location.

Then, during the appointment, they insisted that I had to send in my child's previous passport even though we had her original birth certificate (which proves her US citizenship as well as parental data). We tried to "educate" the person by showing a printout from the State dept website, but to no avail. It seems they make their own rules as they go along.

So, laziness, attitude and a disregard of rules seems to be very prevalent when it comes to passport applications at the post offices.

Thank you.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   3 days 11 hours ago

The basic design shows little artistic skill or imagination; the only well-executed part of the sheet is the stamps copied from the original issue. The rest of the sheet is poorly drawn and amateurish. Also, the whole idea of producing and distributing these sheets is nothing but an obvious appeal to greed and an attempt to sell as many normal sheets as possible to gullible novice collectors.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   3 days 23 hours ago

Remember the Farley Issues? Same thing really in regards to this made for collector "error". It was promoted wrongly and because several were "given away" it is unfair to collectors who did not get one. Many spent a lot trying to obtain one. You should reprint a limited number for all collectors to obtain it should they wish to just as the Farley issues were done because of collector and public outrage.

I am a stamp research specialist who has been studying a British stamp printing company called the Format International Security Printers Ltd. Part of the research involves the production of varieties and made for collectors errors produced during the 1980's. Many would call it a scandal but in reality they were produced to promote stamp collecting of many other countries. These varieties were only available through the philatelic agents outlets at the time and the majority were not sold "over the counter" just as the imperforate press sheets have and are offered only through mail order here.

Even though there are some I call out dated collectors and dealers out there that are fervently against this, if the varieties are produced in quantities that satisfy collector demand yet do create a semi rarity and are sold at fair value, there is no reason not to. Errors in themselves should be obvious as in inverted frames, missing color and so forth just like the "right side up" Jenny with strict documentation that indeed they are made for collectors intentionally in limited quantities. The same goes for the imperforates, Specimen overprints and progressive color proofs.

Some do not realize this but genuine errors can and will be found even among the varieties. Therefore interest will automatically happen if they are produced and made available not only through the mail but some can be offered over the counter as well.
    These are modern times now and many other countries already offer varieties of issued stamps and therefore to remain competitive the USPS should follow suite and of course other major countries will follow us as they have with uncut press sheets and other varieties already. If certain collectors and dealers don't like them, don't buy them. There are millions who will and they will help the USPS financially which in turn could cause costs to mail letters and packages to drop.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 3 sec ago

I agree - this issue was overpriced and the general public was unaware of this issue. Since you chose to change the value from $0.24, making it the standard rate would have gotten more of the general public to know that it existed.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 5 min ago

I agree that the intentional creation of a rarity is a terrible idea (imperforate press sheets are a good example of this)

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 2 hours ago

This might have been a good idea--had the stamp been issued as a stamp people would have actually used. It should have been a "forever" stamp, or perhaps an international-rate "global forever" at absolute most. By issuing this stamp in a high denomination, and then artificially creating a rarity, USPS is giving the impression that it is just trying to milk the collecting community. It is absolutely no surprise that this stamp's sales are so low. No one likes to feel cheated.

• Reply to: The Road to a New Delivery Fleet   4 days 2 hours ago

I think you guys really should consider air conditioning for the carriers that run in places like Arizona and other very hot places. It would speed up the delivery system as you feel better when you get take a few moments out of the heat to cool off and possibly decrease human error. Being over heated can cause you to miss seeing that mailbox, curb, and other careless mistakes that occur when you are so hot you can't even see any longer cause the sweat is in your eyes.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 3 hours ago

First and foremost, I would like to say "thank you, thank you, thank you" to the Postmaster General for even considering the philatelic community and giving us a boost in importance. We definitely feel like the "neglected step-child" and ANY attempt to generate interest and involve our hobby should be roundly applauded, whatever the outcome. Could this have been handled differently...of course. Did it have to be a $2 value? Was the distribution equitable? Were federal rules broken? I don't have answers to these. But did it give our hobby a shot of caffeine, you bet!!! My initial reaction was and remains extremely positive. I've bought about 10 sheets and have a running joke with the USPS employee where I do business: when I get to the counter, I ask for a $12 lottery ticket. She laughs, asks me how many sheets have been discovered (she knows I subscribe to Linns), and hands me a package of Jennys. I'm sure the naysayers will outnumber me 25 to 1. Get over it stamp collectors. I still contend that whatever gets our dying hobby into the news and creates some interest is OK with me, and I think the USPS did a very positive service to the community. In hindsight, EVERYTHING could have been done better, but that is not really the point. The USPS actually considered the stamp collector and I think that is the real issue at hand.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 4 hours ago

We feel limited editions would be snapped up by dealers and the average collector would be left out or have to pay a high price for one stamp to complete a specific year. We agree that collectors have been helping the USPS by keeping stamps out of service. We also agree that the publicity (or lack, thereof) about the Jenny stamp was poorly handled.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   4 days 4 hours ago

I have rented a house in McAdenville, NC for over 10 years. I have never been able to get mail delivered. At first, I was advised that I needed to rent a PO Box at the Post Office. When I tried to do that, I was told that I needed two pieces of ID with my local address so that I would be allowed to rent a mailbox. I got the address on my DL changed to my home address, but the DMV could not mail me the copy...as there is no mail delivery. I obtained a form from the DMV that stated my address. When I brought the form to the Post Office, I offered my US Passport as a second ID. The postal worker told me that this was not valid as ID, or as identification of address...as the address is written in pencil. They did rent me a box, which I kept for one cycle. It was such a pain that I changed my address to my daughter's rural home in another (nearby) town. It is slow, but that does work...and I don't have to pay to get junk mail. Recently, I took over the water bill for the property that I rent (it was originally included in the rent). When I went to the City Hall, I explained that my mailing address was in a different town. The water department clerk advised me that my situation is typical and no one receives mail without renting a PO Box, or using an out-of-town address. Is there a solution to this apparently age-old problem?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 5 hours ago

This was an interesting idea, which if were executed as advertised might have been pretty good. Instead it was more of a fiasco. The real question now is what to do with the 80 or so sheets that have not been sold? I do not think they should be destroyed - that would make the 20 or so out there even rarer. My suggestion, assuming the Post Office still has control of some or all of the remaining unsold sheets is to do something similar to what was done with the incorrect cowboy sheets. Raffle them off - one entry per address. Money order for the face value of the stamps. Draw the number of entries corresponding to the number of sheets remaining. That way everyone has what is essentially a fair opportunity to get one. Continue the numbered card from the PMG to account for each. Any sheets that are in the distribution system should remain there and they will hopefully be purchased by someone at some point. Finally, the post office should continue selling the regular sheets until all or most of the error sheets have been accounted for.