• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 10 months ago

Managers gave up overtime and cost of living to move towards performance based pay, unions refused to do the same. If Congress wants the Postal Service to run as a business then treat them like a business and get out of the way. If Congress wants the Postal Service to pay the same as the rest of the Federal Government then pay them the same, such as locality like all the other Federal departments. Pay Postal employees public transportation assistance like the other departments.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 10 months ago

A lot of good thoughts. USPS are you listening? Do you want to listen?

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 10 months ago

Postal employees have a wealth of experience and ideas to help the Postal Service which they are not encouraged to put forth. I have been delivering mail for 30 years. I may be missing something here, but I have not been able to find any means of communicating thoughts or ideas to the USPostal Service beyond speaking to a floor manager. The only means of communicating written ideas that I have found is through local management, using a post office computer and postal code. Some management even seem to have a lack of knowledge of just how that works.This is not my idea of welcoming employee input.
    It all comes back to how the Postal Service runs its business. It is too orientated to military style levels of management, where you have to talk to appropriate levels. Dedicated employees too often feel left out of the loop. We're given directions without explanation, as if we have no knowledge worthy of hearing.
    The Postal Service could work wonders for itself if it would just rethink its employee envolvement, listen to "street sense", and be serious about change. Don't even mention QWL as an involvement process when it is widely seen as simply and ineffectual employee pacification process that diddles with formats of envelopes and repetitive posters and slogans. Please, lets get real, think outside the flat rate box!!!! I give my customers my very best, but I will be sorry to retire the postal service without ever having given it my best simply because
    there was no opportunity.

• Reply to: Will Electronic Reader Technology Affect the Postal Service?   5 years 10 months ago

I'm going speculate a response here...

Dude, the Post Office can monopolize any business they
    want! Provided, they can create a balanced financial
    statement annually. For example, since they support
    the largest ground transportation fleet in the domestic business footprint, they can pretty much define the US DOT "SAFTEA" appropriations.

Now let's examine this hypothesis one step further.

They're existing business model can be utilized for
    nearly every U.S. highway transportation energy plan.
    Simply engage the life cycle of each transportation
    asset in the USPS fleet, it's energy consumption algorithm, and it's 2030 carbon consumption model.
    Now, simply employ a similar computation to it's existing facility assets infrastructure.

Not roket science by any means.

But, like the AT&T monopoly, it will reveal that this piece of our domestic economic footprint is no longer sustainable.

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 10 months ago

I would love to see the USPS deploy a similar service here in the US. I live in a rough neighborhood, on a major access street, and as a result have had packages stolen off my front porch when a UPS or FedEx delivery person just tosses them by the front door, in plain sight.

Having the option (even for a slight fee) of having my packages delivered to a 24-hour self service location would be amazing.

There are a few issues to address with new ideas: (1) what is our value proposition; (2) are we permitted to get into that business; and (3) does the reward match the risk, and are we willing to take the risk?

1) Obviously no value. Lets all just toss around terms and hope the economy improves and raise the stamps to $1.50 each

2) Are we permitted? You tell me. Does anyone ask....hmmm I would if it were my job... i am a mechanic.

3)Nah, no reward could match the inevitable risk of becoming completely obsolete, a burden to taxpayers or dissolved into little private entities that will do whatever they want.

Maybe the merit of our continued foray into $7 billion + net loss each year is worth sitting around and doing business as usual. If Congress could be contacted about prepayment for retiree benefits, i a speculating that they could be contacted about other things as well. I guess that's why I am a mechanic, and i don't have a fancy title or high salary.

• Reply to: Preventing Workers’ Compensation Fraud   5 years 11 months ago

After many extensive years in the postal septic system(the biggest pieces rise to the top),I'm not surprised to see them touting prosecutions of a VERY SMALL minority of workers(their own admission).Do you even mention how many of these "prosecutions" are thrown out or overturned?
    You want to save money and investigate fraud??How about prosecuting negligent management? Do you realize that over DECADES, NOT ONE management has EVER been prosecuted for lying,cheating,or denying compensation to those truly injured? Even though laws and punishment are already on the books?Meanwhile they get to "retire" on comp after doing all the dirty work,while never getting in trouble for it.
    You could save boatloads of money by going after the REAL trouble in the postal service-inept,incompetent management who lie,cheat,and steal at every turn,many times ordered to do so by higher ups in order to "fudge" the numbers. This will never change and you really don't want to prosecute the real frauds. That's why there's such a big deficit. Talk about Karma. I have seen many dedicated inspectors who have been told "not to go there" when it comes to mgmt. Until that changes,which I doubt it ever will,you'll never be financially viable or morally responsible.
    Meanwhile mgmt incompetence and bullying will continue to cause further injuries and hardship for those really injured while the true frauds and criminals get away with promotions. What a way to do business!!!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

we all see the problems, and many start withthe finger pointing..... but i definatley think we ALL agree that there is too much UPPER management!!! a few years back at one of the many congresional hearings, every union and the two postmaster assoc. and the supervisors assoc. leaders were all asked whats wrong, and they all said to much jumping thru hoops to equal upper managements numbers to make bonuses!! its so simple to see and fix, but congress wont step up to the plate and go after the real waste. why in the name of god are there 80 districts in the postal service? how many jobs could be dropped if we wnent to 50-60 districts,and even thats high! as for the work force, having only nine yrs as a city letter carrier all in one office i can only go by what i see here, but i will tell you this, the mailhandler, has got to be the most useless overpaid job in america!!!! they have no knowledge, they no nothing about the streets to the routes, they push around equipment!! stop with all this computer number watching to tell me what my day will take! you created routes to be 8 hrs a day,,,, leave them alone!! stop forcing, by threats city carrirs to pivot!! i totally agree with closing of lobbies, some cities have 5-7 not needed anymore, every city and town deserves 1, of course big cities need more but not 7!! close plants1 definatley......move the mail to bigger facilities, closing plants and lobbies, can help create more people being were there needed, at lobbies being covered by 1 employee. as for unit supervisors, they are needed, postmasters should be covering atleast 3 offices a week, not one in every office.... and there should be a mangement buy-out only.......get rid of all these overpaid sitting around do nothings, offer them 10k, and then watch them run out the door as you close 25 districts,,, hire mangement that has carried mail for atleast 5 years! and not the fat lazy ones who sucked as a carrier,, we have a new 204b, who is the postmasters sons friend, he cant be 22 yrs old, its embarrising, to think this kid is gonna tell a 20-30 yr veteran carrier that he isnt doing his job correctly!!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

I've worked for usps for years still not full time, i agree charge for hold mail and forwarding. We only need one supervisor not two. Having two unions in po's is bad, no employee moral, too much jealousy. We should all be the same. Routes should be evaluated the same. Pay should be the same. Let all carriers wear own clothes, cut out compensation for uniforms let us pay if we want to wear them. Other places I have worked you pay for own shirt or uniform. We make enough we could buy own clothes. Cost per carrier should help a little. I am willing to do so to help instead of going down to five day delivery. Rural carries have to provide vehicles if they don't have an assigned LLV, why not have everyone wear their regular clothes? We must not be hurtn too bad we keep hiring TE's and RCA's. Why not use people that we have?

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

Yesterday I went to the post office in my neighbourhood and discovered that they were closed at 4:45p.m. All I wanted was a single stamp to drop in the box. The stamp dispenser machine was out of service and the woman was right then closing the door and told me she couldn't help me out.

Based on this experience, I don't think there needs to be a small post office as such open and wasting money paying for property and employee. Perhaps the Postal Service should consider stiking a deal with the big grocery stores to install automated postal center machine with a box drop. It would certainly make life easier for moms and those shopping. The postal service will still collect revenue and pay less for space.

It still gives someone like me and others the opportunity to mail our letters at our convenience and not having to beat the traffic.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

Tell your customers to order more magazines.

• Reply to: Banking on the Postal Service?   5 years 11 months ago

Wow, I am surprised by all the comments on focusing on "the main misssion" of the USPS. That might work in some industries, but mail delivery is on the decline. Typically, you look to find different ways to sustain your operations, especially with hundreds of thousands of employees. I'd like to keep my postman employed!

Expanding to other services doesn't take away your focus (after all, nobody suggested the postal employees would be carrying around snake oil in addition to letters). The benefit is better foot traffic to a piece of real estate that is underutilized. The more people have a reason to go there, the more they will be inclined to send something in the mail. Limited bank services have are keeping the Poste Italiane in business and its employees on the payroll. Plus, people trust postal employees more than bankers.

I say look at the good that might come out of it, and if countries like Italy and Brazil and make it work, why wouldn't it work in the US?

• Reply to: Will Electronic Reader Technology Affect the Postal Service?   5 years 11 months ago

I believe in Moore's law. Although, it's under pressure
    from economic anomilies.

However, holographic technology is my prediction for
    next gen reader's.

The physical assets required for this technology, from the prototype's I've envisaged, are without question
    less than ten year out. And, a wee little ancillary benefit just happen to be a nearly zero micro carbon footprint.

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 11 months ago

OH DON'T WORRY ABOUT REWARDING EMPLOYEES, MAMAGEMENT IS STILL REWARDING THEMSELVES WITH NEW HYBRID CARS. THEY DON'T TRAVEL THAT FAR, LET THEM USE THEIR OWN CARS THEY AREN'T TRAVELING THAT FAR. WHAT A WASTE OF SO MUCH MONEY. BUT I CAN GO ON AND ON, FOR WHAT WHO REALLY HEARS US. VOICE OF THE EMPLOYEE---JOKE

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

Let me ask you, do you think the public wants to see the Postmaster walking with the carrier because he is trying to intimidate the worker to work faster, or maybe that postmaster being involved in the community like fundraiser or food drive? I am sure they love seeing the postmaster walking down the street smoking and yelling into his postal provided phone when the public tells me they can never get a hold of him because oh wait he is never at the post office much anymore.. The new goal is to write up people doing there job right, but wrong, and removal is the new word... Oh ya why do you need a PM if the POOM is getting an office next to him?

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

Carrier/Clerk/Mailhandler I think you have some wonderful ideas. I feel that they need to make employee more accountable for doing their jobs especially PM's and supervisors they should have to clock in when they get to work clock out when they go to lunch, doctor appointments, to the tanning bed, to an appointment to get their nalis done or what ever reason they leave the office for non postal activities they should then have to clock themselves in on a time clock when they return from this break/lunch and then be required to clock themself out at that same time clock that is located in the postal office when they leave for the day. I beleive they will find many PM's and supervisors are not even working THE AMOUNT OF hOURS THEY ARE PAID FOR.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

I completely agree with you why do smaller offices need post masters. I work at a small office and my post master shows up when ever se feels like it and then leaves early consistently along with many times she will taking care of personal business when she is at work.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

One thing I beleive the postal service needs to do is to get rid of higher level employees that are not willing to work the hours they are supposed to or make any effort to do anything extra. They get a salary pay for a reason and if they cannt understand that they should be let go. It would save alot of money if people in salary started to actually work. Like the post master at the office I work she rarely ever works a full day never works on saturdays when she is asked to. To me if you are asked to do inspections on saturday and you are paid by salary you should be required to do those inspections and work. You definitely should be required to work the hours you are really paid for and if you cannt be required to use sick time, annual leave or lwop. I know post masters have alot of stressed and some of them have worked hard (others were handed their position because their position was ending and they had to put them somewhere which is dumb for the postal service to have done) to get where they are but that shouldnt mean that once they get there they can sit around and not do anything and work only when the feel

This is the way everything is headed regardless of how quickly the periodicals businesses adopt it. The eReaders were first generation. Next came the mobile eReaders with electrophoretic displays and Internet connectivity. The third generation is in production over in Japan with color displays. The fourth is now being developed in eastern Europe and will become a hybrid cellphone, eReader and Internet device.

Based on typical adoption rates of new technology, discounted by the state of world economies and the consumer spending trends, there is a decent chance that a fifth generation or beyond type of device is going to be in the hands of 60% of those on mobile devices today by 2020. The form factor will be no larger than your cellphone today and will expand to full laptop viewing screen size, assuming we will be using electrophoretics still. There's no telling if there will be some other game-changing technologies which change the output view.

Regardless of what year it happens by, knowing the existing technology and growing interest, we need to plan now how we adapt our products and services to still be a value add to our customers during and after the transition, and to position the Postal Service for the next wave of technological progress.

Rich Epstein
    Chief Enterprise Architect

In the case of providing secure e-mail, this is not new as an idea and has surfaced and has been vetted before. Likewise, offering secure e-mail is clearly non-postal as a result of the Postal Reform Act of 2006. The only way we could offer it is if the PRC adds it to the list of approved products or if we've secured a federal partner on behalf of whom offering such a service would make sense.

There are clear business and regulatory reasons why we're not in a lot of businesses today. The merit of an idea alone is insufficient to justify our foray into that business. Answer these three questions and we'll talk about a business model and so on.

Rich Epstein
    Chief Enterprise Architect

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 11 months ago

I Really like these ideas UPS and FEDEX seem to do a lot of this in addition I Have the text from an email I'm sending to the president and Congressman and Senators as well as the Post master Generals office If I can find an email address for his office.

Text below:
    To the President Barack Obama, Distinguished Senators, Congressman, and The Post Master General CEO John E.Potter,

As noted in many news reports and in the Post Master Generals own reports, technology is impacting the U.S. Postal System. This impact via the internet has claimed a dramatic quantity of information transmission that used to occur via the U.S. Mail.

What should the U.S. Postal Service do?

While the internet has generally been a real boon to the economy and commerce problems exist with it.
    The U.S. Postal Service has standardized the way our addresses are organized via zip codes and Zip +4 bar coding all wonderful innovations.

The Internet posses many benefits and many problems namely in the area of security.

My Proposal for the U.S. Postal Service is to become a standard bearer for internet & email security offering secure portals.

Portals that can be secured via a CAC card similar to the one I use for my computer email access over the U.S. Army NIPR computers, or perhaps even more secure SIPR like system at the Post Office itself.

Passwords for all Internet commerce need to be standardized, just like our Zip Codes.

The same applies for Login names for buisness/banking needs. These should not apply to social networking sites unless volunteraly.

The post office could provide secure Email, Fax, and postal online payments.

These are just some of the ways I believe the postal service needs to transform itself for a rapidly changing technological society.

We will still need effecient rapid package delivery nothing can replace that yet.

But the postal system must evolve to meet the needs of a changing nation and world.

Thank You and God Bless America.

Sincerely,

Henry Joerz

I believe sending hard copy documents still has it's palce but will only decline.

Therefor the Post Office must still serve it's purpose to make sure that mail either hard copy or electronic gets delivered and that it is carried through rain, sleet, hail, snow, storm,virus, hacker, or what else plagues or will plague the internet.

This will provide new income streams for the U.S. Postal service and transform itself thouroughly into what it has always been a bearer and mover of INFORMATION!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 11 months ago

I live in a rural area where most routes are curbside delivery to NBUs or CBUs, I have never heard a customer complain about not getting their mail at the door. It was originally introduced as a quaint way to get out and meet your neighbors. The boxes are not too far away from the houses as they only hold 6-12 customers. Of course customers who are handicapped or have a problem getting to the boxes can get delivery to the door.
    The idea that the PS is only giving good service if mail comes to the door is unreasonable. If it can't be done cost effectively it must be changed. All business must utilize methods that allow the business to continue, otherwise NO ONE gets service.

Oops, I forgot to post the link(:

I feel sad that a whole way of life could be gone, but things change and are lost all of the time. There are tons of things that I do not know about, and when I hear about some different things used to do it is pretty cool. I would think it is already having a pretty big effect because of all of the predicted U.S. Postal Service buildings closing. Here is a chart and other information about this here:

The Postal Service doesn't seem to care about change, just about having people change their opinions of USPS.

With mail volume down due to email, why not have the Post Office provide SECURE email?

Bulk email addresses could be sold for ad revenue, and new gadgets could be created. Similar to eBook readers, what about a replacement for a mailbox - an eMail box. People could opt to have gadgets like these at their houses, with varying features depending upon user preference.

I have been a career USPS employee for almost six years, but nobody pays any attention to ideas or concepts that they cant get something out of for themselves.

Don't believe me? Check the eIdeas program, where I have been talking about email for years.