• Reply to: Does a Virtual PO Box service appeal to you?   3 weeks 4 hours ago

Good idea. Keeps the unknown companies popping up trying to "get" our mail... unsecure at minimum. I rather have the USPS continue to be the experts not some unknown wanna be.

• Reply to: The Curious Ups and Downs of Mail Volume Declines   3 weeks 1 day ago

Why do you think mail volume declines vary by region? you have the answers already, broken down demographically. Do you see an opportunity to launch “regional” strategies of any kind? A HUGE YES. In fact, the chosen word "regional" sounds to be to broad.
    Just in a 60 mile radius of my office. We have a Naval Base, University and colleges, a retirement (snowbird) community, several tourist communities, industrial, farm land, shipping/docks with all supporting businesses and a wide range of household income and ages.
    Each Post Office handles a different type of customer. No two are alike. And no office handles the entire list of examples. In just 12 miles the difference in median age and income drops dramatically from one post office to another. One office is higher income and older, another is much lower income and much lower median age by 20 years.
    The data is already available, it just needs to be drilled down.
    It would be a dream come true in my job to see the USPS actually look at things from the bottom up when making decisions.

• Reply to: The Curious Ups and Downs of Mail Volume Declines   3 weeks 2 days ago

Why is there a decline in FCM utilization across demographic groups? I think it is simply a more global access to telecommunications technology. The telephone could never supplant mail for important communications but email with attachments certainly seem to be cutting tremendous inroads into FCM. The early PCs were very expensive and without the user friendly interface. Now they are relatively inexpensive and the software can prompt you for appointments, responses and much more than you even care about. Now, indeed, many things can be done on cell phones or mini-pad, obviating the need for paper communication. It seems like owning one is de rigor for all demographics, the unemployed, the 4th Grader, the affluent, the elderly (albeit at a slower clip) independent of education, income and most likely regionally. Perhaps the absence of cell phone towers and high speed internet connectivity in West Virgina or regions that are rural, remote and economically depressed explains the relatively slower rate of decline of FCM utilization.

Thank you for your interest in the report and for your feedback. We agree that plant consolidations and closings contribute to regional variations in mail volume, particularly in certain areas. We acknowledge this explicitly in the report, but do not think this alters the initial conclusion that mail use varies greatly by region. For example, plant consolidations and closings will not have as severe an impact on mail use trends for a state as it does for any given area, and our research shows that mail use varies greatly by state (see Appendix C of the report). Raising the issue that mail use is not uniform across geographic areas is a necessary first step in the discussion of this important topic. We hope that discussion will not only advance and refine this research, but more importantly lead to improvements in postal services. To your point, we plan to examine the effects of the closure and consolidation of processing facilities on mail volumes, as well as research the effects of the many other contributing factors, in follow-up work. We welcome your additional thoughts.

• Reply to: Should the Postal Service continue its consolidation plan?   3 weeks 4 days ago

The plants can't handle the work they have now. Expess mail failures have increased and the expected day of deliveries are not being met and customers are complaining daily. Keep the plants open to increase the processing of mail and grow the business. Closing plants and delaying the mail will only chase customers away from the business and when the Postal Service decides to privatize, they won't have any customers to serve. Who wants that kind of business.

• Reply to: The Curious Ups and Downs of Mail Volume Declines   3 weeks 5 days ago

How many of the Plants in the low decline group absorbed processing done previously by another Plant? How many of the Plants in the high decline groups lost processing to another Plant? For instance, Muncie and Lafayette Indiana lost their outgoing distribution to Kokomo Indiana prior to 2013. Because Kokomo's processing volumes were relatively small, the gain when expressed as a number would look small, but when expressed as a percentage would look large. Bloomington and Terre Haute also lost processing to Indianapolis. But because the volumes handled in Indy were large, the change in the percentage would be lesser than the change in a small Plant like Kokomo.

• Reply to: The Curious Ups and Downs of Mail Volume Declines   3 weeks 6 days ago

less people use fcm more are useing emial and tweeder

• Reply to: Ad Mail Delivery: The Closer the Better   3 weeks 6 days ago

I have a bank of boxes with neighbors in our small apartment building. We all go thru the front locked door then to the mailboxes. I do and can hear the others. We get fliers from the local markets and look for them and Bed, Bath & Beyond when they come out. I certainly do not want a central "cluster" box and am sure the others would agree. Our carrier gives great service delivering AND picking up our mail "to go".

• Reply to: The Road to a New Delivery Fleet   4 weeks 8 hours ago

Air conditioning please! Its like being inside of a tin can and always 20 degrees hotter in the vehicle even when its a 100 degrees outside. And all wheel drive for the snowy winters.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   4 weeks 1 day ago

Package is still not here. If it gets here on Mon April 27, that will be 2 weeks since it was posted. Again Indiana is only 2 states away from Pennsylvania and there are an excellent network of roads connecting the states via Ohio. Pitiful service.

• Reply to: “Return to Sender” Returns Interesting Results   4 weeks 1 day ago

I keep writing retun to sender on mail for a person that hasn't lived at this address in over 20 years. The postal service keeps sending it back to me. Any idea how I can get this mail sent back to where it came from? Multiple advertisements for credit cards.

• Reply to: We’re Just Askin’   4 weeks 1 day ago

Here's an idea...follow up on complaints and actually DO something about incompetent workers.

I have gotten NOTHING but my electric bill for the past six months. And I have been awaiting important documents. The first was a $6000 check which they "couldn't find" until we filed a formal complaint and had to have the check resent. I have also been waiting for a new bank card and my license plate renewal info...both expire next week. Kinda important.

I guess being a customer doesn't mean anything to your organization. Keep screwing people and see how that turns out for you.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   4 weeks 1 day ago

Hi, were you successful at obtaining the correct amount stamp/getting a refund?

I encountered a similar situation - I bought international stamps (2x $2.29) and the kiosk printed out 2x $0.49.
    I gave another kiosk a try and I bought one $2.29 and it printed out 3x forever stamps ($0.49).

I know it's only a few dollars more but it's frustrating to have to pay more than twice at the kiosk....

• Reply to: Not All Flat Rates are Equal - - Even if They Look Like it   1 month 8 hours ago

Fedex is not that great, matter of fact, choose USPS over fedex any day.
    I was waiting for a signature necessary letter.
    He usually arrives at my home about 10-11 am, but this letter on the first day came at 4, next day, I stayed home until 11, then left work at 3 to get home by 4 only to find he came at 2, next day, went to work early came back at 12:15 hoping to be there early enough to catch them, and he had come at noon.
    Had to drive 45 minutes to get to the fedex station. Complained, but told he was trying to "find" a time to deliver it....how about the same time you normally come? None of this made sense to his supervisor who told me I could have just gone online and given a time, great, but I tried and that was not an option for me.
    The next time I received from this company I told them to use USPS and NOT fedex, they did, I got my express mail the next day!
    Fedex - no thanks!

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 9 hours ago

PLEASE update the post office delivery dates to reflect that first class packages now take 2 WEEKS!
    This causes so many problems it is unreal! All the automatic delivery dates on sites come off USPS rate quotes.
    None of the retail websites are showing accurate info, because your dates are still 4 days, if you cannot deliver the mail within the time you yourself are stating than adjust it! People will choose priority or something else but at least they will be accurately informed as to stop asking me all these questions and for event related items it is a nightmare, these people think the party items they want will be there for the party! And, even when I tell them allow at least 2 weeks they think I am over exaggerating to try to get them to spend more money because they can go to the post office site and see it only takes 3-4 days or the same day as priority so why spend the extra money!
    I am about to have to dump the post office because of this and my 50 thousand a year may not matter to you but I think it is ridiculous to lose a customer because you won't update your website dates.

• Reply to: Filling the Gap: The Postal Service and the Financially Underserved   1 month 9 hours ago

i don't want the post office getting too involved with my financial business without my consent and approval. irregardless of known relationships or obvious benefits. Financial transactions especially when you go mobile and start adding technological stuffs, it can get advanced and complicated. also considering the number of articles purporting budget and need to increase revenue , not convinced that's an area of expertise at the good ole' usps.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 1 day ago

I have been waiting for 10 days for a small package to be delivered from Indiana which is only 2 states away from the state where I live, Pennsylvania. After leaving Indiana, it went to Illinois and now is allegedly in route (hopefully) to me. For all I know it will go to St. Louis next, instead of East. This isn't the only package In the last 2 months that I have waited an excessive amount of time to receive. It seems to me the USPS is forcing people to pay for 3 day priority mail because regular service is so terrible!

• Reply to: “Return to Sender” Returns Interesting Results   1 month 1 day ago

I am very frustrated with the service I am not receiving from your worthless carriers. This is my 2nd time of having trouble with mail not getting delivered. This last time I ordered online and had it sent to my grand-daughters address. It arrived in So Ca on Mar 3rd. It was handed off from Fedex to USPS. It says it was returned to sender as the address was undeliverable. It should have been St and not Ct. The number was correct. The lazy postman dd not even attempt to deliver. The odd thing is he didn't even scan it to show he was delivering it. I have been trying all morning to contact the po but no one answers. I contacted customer service and this nice lady trying to help me asked if I got a call back from Tracy. I told her no and that's why I am calling. I would just like to know where my package is. I called the sender and they said they have not received it back I am sorry to say but you need to fire some of these worthless employees and hire some that care. Here is another reason I say that. My daughter mailed me a priority mail last Nov. It went from Denver to Prescott Valley (AZ). it got to Phoenix and was sent to Fl. Came back to AZ then back to FL. Came back to phoenix and back to FL for a 3rd time. Finally back to Phoenix and onto Prescott Valley. There are lots of people that want jobs and would take pride in their work.
    I worked for the sorting facility n Denver a Xmas time. I made every effort to get the mail to the places it was addressed to. It seems like at this time you have employees that just don't care. They are making good and if they don't care then send them o their way.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 2 days ago

During the past few months I’ve noticed a significant slowdown in package deliveries. A package sent from Westport, CT to Salt Lake City, UT now takes over two weeks and, when tracked, seems to sit at a location here or there for days on end before making it’s next leg in transit. What I don’t understand is whether the additional delays are a result in lack of manpower in sorting at a facility or lack of transport mode to move forward, i.e.:

Delivered, In/At Mailbox

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
    Apr-06-15, 14:30 PM, DENVER, CO 80217

Departed Post Office
    Mar-30-15, 17:37 PM, GREENS FARMS, CT 06838

Acceptance
    Mar-30-15, 15:00 PM, GREENS FARMS, CT 06838

If I buy a smartphone protector off the web for $1.59, which includes shipping, from a seller in China, I receive it in less than two weeks after being sent by China Mail and ultimately delivered by USPS. Does that make sense, that you can deliver something for pennies faster than something for dollars? I am overwhelmed by the excellence of service provided by USPS on little nothings from China but stunned by your inability to be as fast as what Pony Express was over 150 years ago when it comes to getting my package from CT to UT.

I use USPS for package deliveries because, on balance, less damage occurs when using USPS than FedEx Ground. I have to say that the amount of increased snail you are putting in your handling of mail makes it difficult to stay with you at the margin. I fear a mass exodus coming by the general public in using USPS package deliveries and it is due to very poor long range planning on your part.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   1 month 4 days ago

I had my most disturbing postal experience this weekend. At 12:15 p.m. on Saturday, April 18, 2015 I entered the post office located at Charleston Town Center Mall in Charleston, WV for the purchase of postage stamps. To my surprise, I could hear what I would call rap music. As I approached the postal service employee I could hear him actively singing the lyrics..."so super bad...up and down..round and round...sooooo super bad"! At no point did the employee stop singing and jiving to his musical selection; just one breath to quote my costs of $19.60; no greeting, no thanks for my business, little acknowledgement of my presence. I was stunned. Is this appropriate on-the-job behavior for postal workers?

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 1 week ago

Our weekly newspaper, The Calhoun County Journal, is mailed out every Wednesday morning. We use Interlink circulation software. A year and a half ago, when the Post Office closed the Grenada 389 section center, our northern delivery in the state because non-existent for more than 5 weeks. The newspapers were stuck in Jackson, MS where they remained the ENTIRE time. We were getting hundreds of complaints and cancellations. When the post office agreed to re-open Grenada 389 as a hub, delivery immediately returned to normal.
    When the Tupelo 389 sectional center closed, newspapers now go to memphis, delaying them up to a week. We are now driving newspapers to post offices 30 minutes away using exceptional dispatch so they can be delivered the same day.
    Every time a sectional center is closed, delivery changes to at least 7 days later. But I am paying the post office the same amount for delivery. It is very hard on our business to handle these complaints that we have no control over. I used epub for watches and complaints, but now that is no longer an option.

• Reply to: Go Secure With gopost   1 month 1 week ago

As a business that ships perishable items, this is not a shipping method we would use to deliver our product, and is not unlike shipping to a P.O. Box. Like many companies, we do not ship to P.O. Boxes. Unfortunately, we had a negative shipping experience with a customer who gave us a parcel locker shipping address. We were not even aware we were shipping to a parcel locker since there was nothing in the address that identified it as such.

We sent the items 2-day, but have no idea and have no way to verify, when the customer actually picked up their perishable items since the tracking information only tracks to delivery to the parcel locker. The customer subsequently contacted us to let us know our product was inedible due to expiration. After shipping our products to residential addresses for 4 years, in the 48 contiguous states, we have never had this or any product problems.

It seems this delivery system is customer-focused to a fault and to the exclusion of the sender, be it an individual or business. For this reason, we will not ship to any parcel lockers in the future and will be informing our customer that we are canceling the balance of their subscription order. Even though many small businesses dealing in perishable items clearly state on their websites that they are not responsible for any type of damage once the package is in the hands of USPS, UPS, Fedex, etc., and to address complaints to the shipper, the reality is the customer expects the business/sender to address it.

A small business cannot afford to have these types of experiences. Additionally, since this program is still in the pilot phase and not widely available, there is no awareness in areas where it's not available. This doesn't make sense since it's entirely conceivable that a sender could be outside of the program, shipping to a pilot area. Shouldn't both parties know about it?

Please consider the following:
    1.) Using an identifier for the parcel locker address, so a business can make an educated decision whether it wants to ship or not.
    2.) Establishing some way for the business/sender to verify when the customer/recipient has actually picked up the parcel.
    3.) Letting the cat out of the bag! Communicate that this program is out there and in the pilot phase, even to areas in the country where the service is not yet available.

Thank you for the opportunity to share our experience and recommendations.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 month 1 week ago

Your complaints might be valid in terms of the machine operation, but the USPS does not use tax money, so your wrong in saying that they "are a waste of tax funding." I use the kiosks all the time and have never had problems with credit card acceptance, even when using older scratched up and bend cards.

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   1 month 1 week ago

So you've moved already or are doing last minute admin jobs for the move such as post redirecting...
    Only to find that part of the post redirection process is to send post to the address that you just moved out of....
    Genius!
    And SO American...

I tend to do a number of certified letters and prefer to have the information completed before arriving at the post office. If you indicate you have prefilled postal forms you do not have the opportunity to enter the tracking number into the machine. As a result if the letter / package is lost how would you prove that you mailed it.