• Reply to: What Should the Postal Service Retail Network Look Like in 2020 and Beyond?   3 years 10 months ago

Over twenty years ago, when I started my postal career, I was truely proud of the history, the service to the nation, and my part of such an important process. No one seems to remember our history. For over 200 years we were the reliable, rock solid, source of information, goods, and government processes. We were the center of business and social interaction in small communities across the country. In fact, in more places than you realize, we still are. It broke my heart a few years ago when I started seeing acres of blue mail collection boxes pulled from city streets because an analyst determined they didn't produce enough revenue. No regard to community needs and public service. Now post offices are being closed that are integral parts of small communities because they don't bring in a minimume threshold of revenue. No regard to community needs and public service. Headquarters teams are coming to the West where real estate prices are highest to sell postal properies for fast cash. Are they considering the needs of community and public service? We have seen this pattern before in municipal government. To pay for programs or salaries, property is sold, only to incure huge costs later in leases and new purchases. The post office does not sell municiple bonds to restore itself from it's mistakes like local government likes to do. Lose those facilities, break that promise to small town America, sell out now for fast cash, and we may never regain our ability to do what is our founding purpose. Serve all Americans.
    What I see coming by 2020 is not good. I see poorer service, loss of public trust, and an even greater debt caused by shortcuts and sell outs happening today.
    What I would like to see in 2020 is a leaner PO. more automated teller machines. fewer delivery days, a greater emphisis on parcel delivery, a simpler and more understandable rate system, the leasing of post office space inside ooperating post offices to other municiple organizations that need their own presence in the community.
    The world is changing, and by all means the Post Office needs to change. Just don't forget where you came from, and what an important job we are here to do.

Look up Borders on Wikipedia...............

It should look like Borders stores. 25-40% brick & mortar closed, 20% retail, 60% electronic media, 10% transportation, 10% management. Just my best guess???????? Who Knows....

I already tweeted similar to this.

• Reply to: Moving at the Right Speed   3 years 10 months ago

Well something has to give when a money order sent by Priority Mail is taking not 1 to 3 days but up to 2 weeks to be delivered. This has happened to me on several occasions now and I can only assume the PO is either overwhelmed by mail or underwhelmed by it's own efficiency or lack thereof. How about considering a reduction in the not inconsiderable and guaranteed pensions that come with most if not all USPS jobs which amounts to quite a massive funding cost. Sorry USPS but everyone else is hurting in this economy and taking cuts.

• Reply to: Moving at the Right Speed   3 years 10 months ago

The last thing you need to be doing is relaxing your delivery time. I mailed a express mail package off on Saturday the 27th, if was supposed to be at it destination on the 29th. As of today 30th 10:34pm you guys don't have a clue as too where my family highly sensitive package is. The tracking system you have is years behind Fedex and UPS. If you relax a service that is outdated expect more people to use other companies.

• Reply to: Village Post Offices: A Step Forward or Step Back for Postal Retail Services?   3 years 10 months ago

If every town has a Town Hall and not all have a store as such, why can't the new location be in the Town/City Hall instead? The savings are huge as there will no longer be a full building and associated costs involved but perhaps a small desk space in the Town Clerks office and still keeping a postal employee on staff would be a more economical suggestion. They would already be trained, have security clearance, way less turn over, and keep in touch with the rural character feel. It would eliminate small town politics, favorites, and/or additional liability as a result of possible waste, fraud, and or abuse. It would be centrally located and be an overall win-win for the postal service and the customers. Towns may be more apt to allow voting by mail, town clerks could easily mail all tax bills, tag registrations, etc., and who doesn't go to their Town Hall for something or other throughout the year (Town Reports, School Reports, Abatements for property values)...

• Reply to: Online Shopping on the Rise! What’s in it for the Postal Service?   3 years 10 months ago

I was really hoping for an answer here.....???
    Sooooooooooooooo who does it?

I am a retail owner that really wants to add a VPO to an existing retail operation. We can absolultely assist USPS. Please open up VPO's for more locations as soon as possible.

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

• Reply to: Moving at the Right Speed   3 years 10 months ago

The definition of local in the phrase overnight service standards should be adjusted to distance from the mail processing center rather than the customer. If the distance is greater than say 50 miles than the delivery standard should be dropped to two day delivery for what is currently considered local. The impending consolidation of mail processing centers will make overnight First Class Mail and locally originating delivery standards difficult for some offices. As such, offices outside of the fifty mile radius would expect their mail to take and extra day to be delivered.

Postal tracking has always been lagging behind UPS, Federal Express and just about anybody able to jot information onto a pad of paper. Registered Mail tracking only shows acceptance and delivery. Even postal employees can't determine where an item is withou calling offices across the nation. Because of the value of items shipped via Registered Mail it is reasonable to limit the information to the public; however, the Registry Room clerks and investigators (OIG and IS) should be able to track packages quickly and efficiently.

When you pay for tracking you should get tracking. UPS and Federal Express are more expensive but you get free and information tracking information. When you pay for postal tracking you basically get acceptance, delvery and sometimes some information in between (Sometimes!)

Electronic acceptance information - No confirmation of acceptance here. Doesn't really confirm an item was received.

The Postal Service has neglected mail tracking for the public and as a result created a rift between customers and customer service.

having a package stolen or lost in the past week what a joke usps is. first they dont know then rude towards me a paying customer.
    perhaps if it were there money being stolen they would react different.
    and try at least to resolve this. and signature confirmation does not provide and more? they let anyone sign for package. i have proof i paid for it to be mailed to my customer and yet usps allows another person to sign for package.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice, we really appreciate your input. We will take your comments under consideration in our future work.

• Reply to: Moving at the Right Speed   3 years 10 months ago

I'm not sure if it's possible to relax the standards for only one class of mail, but if it is then I think a fair compromise would be to relax transit times on Standard Mail by 2 days, while leaving First Class and Priority Mail as-is.

Nearly all legitimate mail such as bills, statements, correspondence from companies I do business with, etc. is sent via First Class. On the other hand, the unsolicited junk mail I receive looks like it's all sent via standard mail.

I would rather receive important mail promptly and let the junk mail wait a few days, so I would accept without hesitation a delay of a few extra days on Standard Mail. And if possible, I think more money can be saved by not delivering Standard Mail on Saturdays.

Junk mailers have no effective alternatives and can't really jump ship and go elsewhere, so I think they can tolerate a few reasonable compromises that can actually benefit everyone.

After doing a lot of research, I've chosen to use USPS First Class or Priority Mail almost exclusively. The cost and speed are superior to that of the competitors, so I can only hope it will stay that way.

No sanctity or security to the mail in a village Post Office. Just watch mail theft and tampering increase. And take all these postal jobs and replace with low wages and no benefits. How does that help an already ailing economy?
    Rural Post Offices want to provide so much more to thier communities but the 2006 law took all of that away. Its time to start serving the people, not the systems.

• Reply to: Moving at the Right Speed   3 years 10 months ago

The postal services needs to raise its rates to .50 cent per stamp.

• Reply to: Is the Price Right?   3 years 10 months ago

This nothing but politics.

• Reply to: The OIG Wants to Know How You Feel about Sick Leave   3 years 10 months ago

Awesome post, I just found this site but Ill come back often for new posts! Keep up the great work!

The # 3 shipping dude, Scott Davis, CEO UPS was on Wall Street today.
    "Ringing the Bell for his company, and their 401,000 + - employees. I wonder if the USPS Executive offices noticed? Furthermore, I wonder if anyone was listening to his "opinion" on economic activity and or shipping traffic over the next several quarters and beyond? They remind me of a battery commercial...
    Our package volumes still growing - and growing - and growing....

What life expectancy, and at what cost is their tracking system
    providing their guidance* with? But, who are they anyway?

*guidance with respect to financials and fiscal outlooks

• Reply to: Introduction to Contract Fraud – False Claims and Statements   3 years 10 months ago

Ivy,

I live in the neighborhood and you probably are not getting your mail due to the barracades and signs that tell the mail delivery person not to cross due to your ongoing strike against the USPS.

It takes a Village

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

Do you think anyone at the post office will read my last message??? I doubt it! Thats the reason that they have such BIG problems. Its funny how organizations that have a monopoly don't change till its TOO LATE. All they had left was First Class mail and now ..here we are on E-mail. 80% of their income goes for wages! And I bet that most of them are retired. Wake up America!

• Reply to: The High Cost of Low-Cost Mail   3 years 10 months ago

Maybe the post office should WAKE up and find out why Fed Ex and UPS have been so successful in the few short years that they have come along and taken the bulk of the profitable business away from the USPO. I can help you with an answer. BETTER service and better people. Their rates are higher than USPO but we don't mind paying for BETTER service. Years ago I worked Chicago and had to ship and receive packages via the postal service. Every nite I went to the O'Hare PO to pick up the days packages. The men working there were the WORST people I have ever dealt with in my entire life. After that I switched to UPS and later used Fed Ex. Is ANYONE awake at the POST OFFICE?????

Bravo! You said everything we've been thinking.

• Reply to: What is the Office of Audit and why do we blog?   3 years 10 months ago

It's good to have more blogs are saying about these issues, more information will be more attentive negocios rentables

I think price will be a huge determining factor with this. Good post!