• Reply to: The Bill is (Still) in the Mail   2 months 11 hours ago

Hello Dee,

Thank you for contacting our offices and we truly apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced so far. The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS). Unfortunately, this issue does not fall within our jurisdiction.

However, please contact the Postal Service Consumer Affairs office at 1-800-275-8777 so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: “Return to Sender” Returns Interesting Results   2 months 12 hours ago

Hello Neek,

Please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs office, which is separate from the customer service line, at 1-800-275-8777 so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   2 months 12 hours ago

Hello Brian,

Thank you for contacting our offices and we truly apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced so far. The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS). Unfortunately, this issue does not fall within the jurisdiction of our office.

As well, if you still would like to file a complaint with our offices, you can do so on our hotline at www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form and we can forward your issue to the appropriate department.

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 12 hours ago

Hello Eden,

Thank you for contacting our offices and notifying us of your inconvenience.

In a situation such as this, please file a complaint with our offices at www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form or by calling 1-888-877-7644. By calling or filing a complaint, you formally give us the critical information needed to look further into this matter and move your complaint to the right department.

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 13 hours ago

I would be glad to give you another chance right here and now tracking number 9463009699939646177854 has been out for delivery since the 9th of February, can't get any information on its whereabouts. The recipient wants their 250.00 refunded and if I refund the money and USPS delivers the package tomorrow I have no recourse. I am then out the item, my money and any chance for reimbursement through a claim. Not only are you costing me income, sales, time and energy but every time a buyer opens a case because they didn't get their item that goes against me as a seller (even if its not my fault it shows that a case was opened against me) so my reputation is at stake here also and nobody seems to take any of this seriously. Insurance claims can't be filed until 15 days have passed since it was mailed and do you have any idea how long it takes them to approve a claim and the hoops they make you jump through? I have had one previous claim for a 250.00 pair of shoes I sent priority mail. I made the mistake of not insuring the package because I never thought you guys would lose it but after having my claim denied and going through the appeal process it took over 2 months to get 50.00 plus the postage back. I have one more day before I can re file the 500.00 claim and at least 4 before I can file the 250.00 claim that is a lot of money to have to wait 60+ days to be reimbursed and treated like I'm the one who did something wrong through the entire process. I would love for someone to show me not tell me the USPS will fix what they screw up.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   2 months 15 hours ago

I find it interesting that the only two comments that were replied to by the Office of Inspector General happen to be outgoing shipments. There have been no replies to people who wonder why their incoming shipments sit and sit and sit at Postal Service International Sort Centers here in the US. Perhaps they ought to just rename them USPS Black Holes. I myself have a package that's been sitting at one in New York for six days now. If you call any 800-number, you get into a loop, because putting in the country of origin tracking number results in the USPS system telling you it doesn't recognize the tracking number. Meanwhile, you can put it in on the USPS system online, and it tells you that it has been "processed through the USPS ISC New York".

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 15 hours ago

USPS Real Estate holdings comprise far more than just a Post Office building. For instance, the Processing Plants. There were more than 400 that were active. Some are being closed now. These buildings have hundreds of thousands of square feet of open space that someone could be interested in having. There is also a great deal of vacant property that was purchased in anticipation of building that never happened. These properties are concentrated on Industrial areas where land is at a premium.

Always bear in mind that there is much more in the background of the picture you see from the outside.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

Please, find some way of making Congressmen understand this. This over funding is basically an interest free loan that Congress will use for pork in their own districts. The USPS just reported a net loss, which would be a profit if they didn't consider this debt no other business is forced to pay.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 1 day ago

Amen to that!!!!!!!!

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 1 day ago

I have shipped 4 packages since the 6th of February and three of the 4 were lost. I tried on my own to contact the last post offices on the tracking info to try and track them down myself, you can't get through to a human being if your life depended on it. So I filed a complaint with the Postal Inspector for each package E. Collins was assigned one of them and he was told by the Delivery Supervisor that he believed there was a problem with the address label which made it undeliverable but he would stay on top of it till it was delivered or returned to me. The next morning I got an email from the recipient it was delivered. The second package was a priority mail and was to be delivered two days after it was mailed according to the tracking info the day after it was to be delivered the status changed to package delayed with a delivery date of 2 days later. When the package was finally delivered the box was empty other than a form to be filled out and faxed to the mail recovery department it clearly states on the form the search for your item could take 90 days to complete and there will be no updates and they will only contact you if they need additional information. I refunded the recipient her 540.00 dollars and proceeded to file my claim (which I found out you must wait 15 days to do) I found this out not from the claims page but from the person assigned to the complaint I filed. She offered to contact the mail recovery on my behalf. Why would I want the mishandled item back I'm sure its not in the condition it was shipped. My third package has said out for delivery since the 9th on which I filed a complaint and received an email acknowledgement that they received it and within 3 business days I would either have a response or a resolution, it is the 13th and I have received neither. Yesterday I made the unfortunate mistake of calling customer service to see if I could find out something to tell the recipient who by the way wants their 250.00 refunded. The person I spoke to was making things up and her accent was so strong I couldn't understand a lot of what she was saying I did understand when she said the package will be delivered today. I said oh really so your tracking information is not reliable then, is that correct? She said it is reliable, but it says the package was to be delivered on the 9th and it has been out for delivery ever since. She then tried to back pedal and I asked to speak to a supervisor 1 hour 3 minutes and 54 seconds she came back on the phone trying to act like the supervisor and informed me I would just have to wait to be contacted by whoever is handling the complaint I filed. TODAY still not hearing from anyone I tried calling customer service again and could not get past the automated system so I said I wanted to speak to the Postal Inspector and I was transferred I told whoever answered briefly what was going on and was transferred again to Raul who informed me that all systems had been down since yesterday and to try back later or Tuesday.

I am not satisfied with my service as a USPS customer
    Eden M Randolph

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

I agree entirely with your comments. This pre-funding nonsense is the causative reason for plant closings and degradation of services. Now, if we could only get the congress to rescind this illogical mandate the postal service could get busy updating its facilities, vehicles and services. I am a retired postal service employee and I depend on the service to deliver my bills, magazines, hobby supplies and yes I even enjoy bulk business mail. No telling what offers may entice me.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

I would like to see the actual account the usps prefunding payments go to. The usps portion of the balance that currently exists. And whether our govt has withdrawn any of the usps funds to make up their own under funded obligations in politician, irs etc..retirements & healthcare, military, etc.... If the usps has paid $335b into this fund, is it still there?

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   2 months 1 day ago

RR050826465NG has been sitting in ISC New York for a while now. It's a very urgent package that needs to get to me as soon as possible.
    Please help me!

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

The assumption has also been that the government as a whole borrows from this fund, is this true? Second, if they have as much money in these funds now shouldn't they be making considerable amounts of interest ? helping accelerate the funding? And of course the unable to prove theory is that the Bush administration started this in an effort to bankrupt the PO and thusly cancel union contracts and privatize.
    Thanks

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 1 day ago

Eden I am so sorry you have had such awful experiences with the USPS. I am a 28 yr veteran with the Post Office so I know we do have some problems. Honestly you may find it hard to believe but we do deliver most packages in a timely manner. Our internet at work was down for 2 days Friday when I left (don't know what is going on with that!) I was using my phone to help customers track their packages. Please do file your insurance claims. Again I am personally sorry for all the inconveniences you have suffered. Please give us another chance to show you we can and do deliver for you.
    Cyndi
    Postal Clerk for 28 years

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

if the purpose of the pre-funding of future retiree health benefits was a legitimate concern it might be possible to excuse the current situation, because there would be an immediate push to correct it by those who created the mess. The fact that years into the "manufactured financial crisis" the problem still remains indicates that there most probably was another agenda at work. The damage to the Postal Service has been immense. The recent change in the service standards and the proposed plant consolidations are devastating mistakes. The sole impetus to make those changes were the overfunding. Where is the White House on this? Where are the Postal Board of Governors? Were is the PRC?
    And where is Congress? If they fail to act soon, it might be concluded that they are serving other interests than what's best for the American people who need and deserve a functioning Postal Service.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

There is no sensible theory which suggests that the Post Office needs to have its pension and health liabilities fully funded 75 years in advance.

This was, and continues to be, the primary means of strangling the public Post Office, creating the demand for privatization because the Post Office is not "fiscally viable."

Fortunately, enough people are seeing through these charades and financial voodoo that this may not come to pass. But continued analysis by the Inspector General is critical to being able to shed light on these attempts to destroy the Postal Service. Continue the good work!

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

I understand the basic idea that the Congress would like for the USPS to prepare for it's ultimate demise (that they are trying their best to cause) by having all it's future expenses pre-paid. Shouldn't all the real estate and other property that the USPS has factor in somewhere? If suddenly the Post Office was somehow magically gone tomorrow, there would be lots of assets to sell off that would help pay those retirement benefits.

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

But fair market value of these properties is estimated as high as $85 billion.

I doubt this. Most older post offices are in declining inner cities. Please cite sources for high estimates

• Reply to: Be Careful What You Assume   2 months 1 day ago

More of a question than a comment. If the USPS were to invest it's "set aside cash assets" instead of parking them in the U S Treasury could it be expected to earn a much greater return that presently possible. And wouldn't such investing solve the problem and perhaps over time even accrue assets instead of liabilities?

• Reply to: A Package of Opportunity   2 months 2 days ago

I definitely believe that the USPS has lost all concerns, as well as commitment, as far as having mail delivered in a timely manner. I 'mailed' a small 2 day Priority box to my youngest son who is away at college for his freshman year. It was just a little something for Valentine's Day so that he knew I really was thinking about him. The 2 day Priority package was sent on February 11, 2015. The expected date of delivery was February 13, 2015. I checked to see if it was delivered on 2/13/15 and it said ''was on way to destination'' with expected delivery date still 2/13/2015. It as at the hub in Miami, FL. I mailed it near Orlando, FL and it was going 2 hours NORTH to Gainesville, FL. After arguing with the 'robot' at the 800# for 63 minutes, I finally got a human in customer service. She told me that she couldn't track anything since her system was down. I provided all of the tracking info and her response was that if it states 2/13/2015 as expected delivery date, then that's when it will arrive. It was already 5:20 PM and she insisted it would be there. I checked first thing on 2/14/2015 and it was 'still in transit' from the Opa Locka hub which is about ''this far'' from Miami with new delivery date of 2/14/2015. I thought ok, fine, he will still get it for Valentine's day. It wasn't there by 3PM so I made the dreaded call to 'roboanswer' and it only took 42 minutes to be connected to ''customer service''. Well, I found out that I didn't know anything about mailing packages with an expected delivery date! I was informed that just because the box and my receipt were both marked 2 day Priority mail, there was no guarantee as far as a delivery date. She then proceeded to tell me that since it had not been delivered by now, it would not get there till ---- FEBRUARY 17, 2015 because the next day was Sunday and Monday was a HOLIDAY. Needless to say that at this point I went completely crazy. I asked why in the world did the package go from Orlando to Miami in the first place and she told me that that was probably his route. I again questioned the 2 day Priority mail and that it made no sense to take it 6 hours south of it's destination. She nonchalantly repeated that there is no guarantee of when a 2 day Priority package will arrive. I asked her if she wanted to call my son and tell him that he wouldn't be receiving anything until 2/17/2015 and she said she couldn't make outgoing calls but that I could give him the tracking # and he could call and they could tell him what the ''reason'' was. I declined her 'offer' and told her that I would not put him through the hassle of getting through only to be told he'd have to wait till 2/17/2015. I had already talked to my son and he told me not to worry, he understood. My sister in law in S. Carolina mailed a 2 day Priority package on 2/11/2015 to her mother in Cleveland, Ohio. Even though that area is battling snow and ice, that 2 day package arrived on 2/13/2015-----2 days!! My package finally arrived in Jacksonville, FL which is 2 hours north of it's destination (they probably drove through Gainesville on their way) on 2/14/2015. It is now sitting in the hub in Gainesville, FL where it arrived at 9:01 AM on 2/15/2015 with a delivery date of 2/17/2015 along with a notation of ON TIME. I honestly do not understand how the USPS can promote 2 day shipping when they can tell you there is no guarantee. There is a notation next to delivery date if you click on it that states ''Expected Delivery Day is the estimated delivery day which is based on ORIGIN and DESTINATION of your package. Delivery on a certain day is not guaranteed''. Whatever happened to the pride that the USPS used to have?? Neither rain or snow or sleet....etc. must only apply if you are mailing something to a different state. My boys sent me chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's day and were getting upset that they hadn't arrived by noon. They did get here on delivery date requested BUT the USPS was not involved. If you have even read this far, I'm sure there are some of you rolling your eyes and saying I need to cut the apron ties or he must be a momma's boy or whatever. I will end this by saying that we do have a special bond and Valentine's day is a day filled with hearts and love. It is this son who had seen me not feeling good and passing out and kept telling me to go to the doctor. He was 15 and not driving yet and I had to get him at school for an orthodontist appointment. When he finished he told me now it was my turn to go ti the doctor and he wasn't going back to school until I did. I promised him that I would go but he needed to go to school. At first I headed home but I went to the ER. He texted me about 30 minutes later and asked if I went. I told him that I went to the ER and they were already admitting me. My son saved my life that day----I needed a pacemaker and was told I should have had one months ago and I was lucky I got there when I did. So yes, I am very upset that the USPS couldn't deliver a package on the day it said it would arrive. But I am even more upset about the 'I don't care' attitudes I got from customer service. Also, WHY have and advertise 2 day Priority mail when there really is no such thing. I'm lost and seems like I'll be looking into UPS or FEDEX since they don't seem to have issues with guaranteed delivery.
    I am totally dissatisfied with the (non) service I (have yet to) received as a paying customer of the USPS.

• Reply to: “Return to Sender” Returns Interesting Results   2 months 2 days ago

How do I advise usps to no longer deliver any mail to a deceased person. I only see options to stop advertising/new mail from being delivered. Is there a way to have all mail returned to sender? I am unable to retrieve the mail to mark it as such myself.

• Reply to: The Bill is (Still) in the Mail   2 months 3 days ago

Am I supposed to eat the $49.50 return plus the cost of shipping (maybe $7) plus the time and money it cost to package and physically hand them the parcel? The US P.O. gets a grade of D+ and here is my tracking number to prove that I am telling the truth.

Note that today is feb 14, exactly 12 days from when I handed it to them. Where in the world do companies have open hunting seaon to cheat and rob you?

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   2 months 4 days ago

This has already happened. My first class mail used to take a day to arrive from a location about 70 miles away. Now I'm lucky if it arrives in 3 days. It's sad when I could walk my mail to another city faster than the USPS delivers it. While certain kinds of mail has declined, people order items over the internet more than ever. Instead of trying to take advantage of this and keep itself relevant and competitive, it seems like the USPS is actively trying to close itself down by making itself the worst choice for mailing and shipping and giving the customer less for his money. To answer the questions posed above, yes you absolutely need to make adjustments. Yes, I've seen a huge delay in my mail. No, poorer service is not an equal tradeoff for keeping costs down.

• Reply to: The Road to a New Delivery Fleet   2 months 4 days ago

Since the Grumman LLV is an aluminum body and can out-last the chassis it is attached to, maybe any replacement could utilize a stripped chassis and re-mount the existing fleets' aluminum body to it....