• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   2 days 5 hours ago

We apologize, George. Our original response was referring to the audit report. Your comment is referring to the blog synopsis itself. We’ve corrected the misprint. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   2 days 6 hours ago

I don't want anyone but myself and the postal carrier in MY mailbox. Too much sensitive information, medications and other items would be too accessible to unknown persons!!

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   2 days 11 hours ago

As a Rural Letter Carrier I know that this is a VERY BAD IDEA! Lazy UPS drivers already try to put packages into mail boxes. Sometimes stuffing it so full that the mail for the box will not fit. This includes periodicals, checks, credit cards and someone's birthday card which is already easy pickings for thieves. Keep the sanctity of the mail and everyone else out! And trust me, UPS will not discount any rates because they can fit it in a mailbox. It will just make them more profit.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 days 14 hours ago

What can you do if your landlord take ur packages from a protected mailbox with lock that she only got the keys and you never receive them even ur regular mail from dmv or other departments what can i do

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   2 days 20 hours ago

We understand that companies like to use cheap labor, and will probably hire ,"independent" contractors. What policing jurisdiction will control investigations, or will they all say it's not our jurisdiction? Who will enforce background checks of the people with access?
    How can the sanctity of the mail be protected, when that is the last thing on a for profit companies mind?

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 days 22 min ago

And IF Your Policy is Not to leave if Too Big or Whatever Dont Leave a Notice a WEEK LATER!!!

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 days 1 hour ago

NO AN ATTEMPU MEANS YOU TAKE IT NOT LEAVE IT AT THE YOUR OFFICE

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 days 1 hour ago

YES THEY IGNOR AND ITEMS NEVER ATTEMPTED AND I AM DISABILED AND YES GOT A NOTICE ON THE 23RD THAT WAS WRITTEN ON THE 18TH

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 days 1 hour ago

Well I had an item that was Never Delievered NOR Attempt last week Resent from company Now 2 others Guarenteed delivery today!? Well called PO first thing today at 9am and Carrier Left Without 3 packages???? THEY DONT BOTHER!!!

• Reply to: Carriers as Conduits   3 days 2 hours ago

As a usps carrier I wouldn't want to compete for space in the box. Human nature would be for competitors to stuff whatever they could without regard for mail. Folks don't empty everyday; inside might be medicines, Netflix,etc. Do we want others access to that? How much Smartpost/Surepost would we lose if UPS/FEDX could use the mailbox? Mailbox access is a huge advantage for USPS- why give that away? Plus it won't be long for anyone to put anything(ad flyers) in the box so we'd be losing postage revenue as well.

• Reply to: The Delivery Revolution in Your Neighborhood   3 days 4 hours ago

"People are already sharing their delivery preferences with MyUSPS.com, such as directing the Postal Service to leave the package on the back porch, or with the neighbor, or ‘hold it at a Post Office for pick-up if they aren’t going to be home. "

I think it is really great that USPS is catching on and catching up. Listening to, and acting upon, the comments of their customers is a behavior that is one of the hallmarks of successful businesses.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   3 days 11 hours ago

I anticipated that you would "create" some "inadvertants", so I initially ordered a number from the Fullfillment center. After that I bought a LOT from my local small post office, knowing they needed sales to stay alive. I was VERY upset to find that they had NO chance of getting any. Are you actively trying to kill our local post offices???? This seems like clear proof of that objective.

Roy

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   3 days 18 hours ago

Usps upgrade your services to that of ups don't give out expected delivery date and not make it that's why so many people hate it,and show where it's at in-transit rather than in limbo of not knowing people spend a lot of money on products and shipping

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 1 hour ago

I agree 100% with the comments made by Ralph McBride. Until 2014 I faithfully purchased every US postage stamp issued, beginning in the 1970's. I am no longer doing this, and I have not and will not purchase the silly stamps, the overpriced print sheets and the products that are more appropriate to Department 56 than the United State Postal Service. At a time when dissatisfaction with the USPS seems to be at an all time high, I think a fundamental re-examination of the Service's role is needed. I suggest that the role is prompt and efficient delivery of the mail, and the production of postage stamps should be subservient to those goals. Turning stamp production into a profit center was not part of the original purpose of the Post Office, and it should not be part of the Postal Service.

• Reply to: The Delivery Revolution in Your Neighborhood   4 days 1 hour ago

The nature of "postal commerce" has changed dramatically in the last decade, fueled by technological advances and our individual consuming practices. These four insightful commentaries offer compelling perspectives on neighborhood logistics, and what new potential horizons still lie ahead for the mailing industry.
    Consumers, especially millennials, know: what they want; where to find it; when they want it; and can work the logistical aspects of their purchases with ease and confidence.

Some very valuable insights have been presented here, and it is incumbent on both public and private postal enterprises to understand that postal intelligence can mean postal power. It can breed success for both consumers and all of the stakeholders involved in the postal commerce marketplace.

• Reply to: A Golden Opportunity?   4 days 2 hours ago

The Postal Service should provide Postal Banking, there are a lot of areas of this country that don't have banks.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 12 hours ago

I think the USPS should print enough of these rarities so that all collectors would have the ability to own one. Way back when Farley made the National Parks issue for President Roosevelt, Roosevelt did the right thing and made enough for everybody. The fish and game dept. did the same thing when they release a very limited supply of the Federal duck stamp in 2005 , that single stamp is now selling for around $2000 with a face value of $15. This only serves to discourage collecting of postage stamps. How do these rarities generate revenue for the Post Office. they only benefit the dealers.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 14 hours ago

Thank you so much for this blog and for listening to stamp collectors' concerns. I hope the OIG will recommend the USPS do away with spray-on cancellations. They are difficult to read and the illustrations are very blurry. Surely the USPS can offer clear, crisp, legible cancellations. This issue is important to stamp collectors who collect their stamps on cover, and to postal historians. It's also important in promoting the professionalism and modern look of the USPS. Thank you.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   4 days 21 hours ago

This was a bad and illegal idea and then it was poorly implemented. Collectors were repeatedly misled as to the distribution so that any attempt to get a copy was worse that even pure luck would have dictated. Lies followed deceptions which followed falsehoods etc. The gratuitous gifting of 3 copies, after a very high market value had been established, was an outrageous and illegal gift of public funds. People should lose their jobs over the gifting issue as well as the lies about the distribution. I have no hope that that will actually happen.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 58 min ago

I am a German philatelist and I collect US-stamps since some 50 years. I also collect stamps from various other countries around the globe. The difference between a stamp collector and a philatelist is the way he builds his collection:
    While stamp collectors will just acquire stamps, sort them for sets or motives and place them into an album, philatelists go much further, their goal is to form a collection which shows the postal history, the general history and the cultural development of a country or a special area like e.g. an island. A typical philatelist uses mint and used stamps, historical covers which in many cases will date back to the pre-stamp age, plus documents and e.g. newspaper clippings to form his collection. He will arrange his material and write it up in a way that it will display the (postal) history of his collecting area in an attractive manner. A philatelist appreciates and enjoys his stamps in a very special way:
    • A mint stamp will tell him something about the countries cultural history, its landscape, flora or fauna.
    Whereas the quality of the design, the paper and last but least of the print shows whether it was made with patriotic pride or just for paying the postage fee.

• A used stamp with a crisp and clear postmark will whisper to him, where and when it was used and possibly more…

• A stamp on cover tells a story. He will be able to obtain lots of additional information like e.g. the complete route the cover had travelled, the franking required, censorships, possible mishaps like crashed aeroplanes, ships etc. and sometimes the letter content will add interesting cultural or historical information.

I have been watching a slow but continuous sad decline in the US stamp issuing policy over the last 22 years which culminated in the present scandal about the 100 upright Jenny $12 stamp sheetlets.
    It all started back in 1993 when Azeezaly S. Jaffer became Executive Director of USPS stamp services. He remained in that position for 6 years and 4 months.
    During that period of time he drove the first 3 nails into the coffin of US-Philately:

1. Foolish Increase of the Number of Stamps Issued
    He increased the annual revenue from stamps he claimed would be retained by collectors, by 400% i.e. from $60 to $240 million. He did that by increasing the number of different issues in a sheer endless manner.
    At first sight this sounds good, however it effectively drove young people away from stamp collecting, because they simple couldn’t afford so many new issues.
    Time has shown that there was next to no increase in retained stamps. A large share of the increased stamp volume was not purchased by collectors, but held by speculators who thought that issues like the Elvis Presley one would increase in value. When they learnt the hard way that they had made a mistake, these stamps were sold as discount postage via eBay. The same is true for the many collections of small collectors who could no longer afford to purchase so many new issues or were simply disgusted.

2. Attractive Commemoratives were Made Unavailable from Normal Postal Outlets
    Jaffer had the stamp program split into pretty looking large commemoratives and small dull stamps to move the mail. This came with a promotion that the commemoratives were meant for collectors only and should be retained in their collections. It also meant that commemoratives were no longer distributed to smaller post offices.
    Philatelists would laugh at him, because as explained above they love stamps which have done actual postal duty.
    US-philatelists made a point in using just commemoratives, on their mail. However, normal postal customers could no longer purchase commemoratives at their local post office. As a result some 90% of the US-mail was now franked with small dull stamps and the strong advertising effect from the attractive commemoratives was lost. Canada Post who has a habit too frequently copy mistakes made by the USPS (like e.g. selling printer sheets) did not fall into the same trap this time. They made a point of producing a booklet version of all their commemoratives.

3. Ignoring the Export Market
    Jaffer decided to use endless versions of the US flag for the majority of the small workhorse stamps and called it a “patriotic action”. Within the US he got away with this argument. Outside the US it was however a catastrophe. In most of the bigger stamp collecting countries, especially so in Europe excessive flag showing is linked to either communist or dictatorship countries. The argument is that they have to do so, because they lack cultural achievements. I remember many incidents where I was asked about the countries I collect and when I answered that my top country is USA, I was met with disbelieve and the question: “But why, all they print is their flag, they have no culture!” Now I am sorry that I have to mention this, and I know of course that the USA have a rich culture. However USPS marketing does its best to hide this fact, and US stamp exports have dropped dramatically for this reason.

4. Selling Printer Sheets
    Another negative effect on US philately was the decision of the USPS to sell printer sheets. It put the US on the same low level as the so called Dune countries, small entities which are lacking the funds to properly finance their postal system and which are using anything to raise some revenue, no matter how small it may be. This again drove many collectors towards other countries.

5. Moving from Water Soak Able to Benzene Removable Stamps
    The biggest and may be final blow against US philately was however USPS’s incomprehensible decision to move from water removable to Benzene removable stamps. Benzene is a toxic and fire hazardous substance, which can only be used outside and even then it may cause cancer. As explained above, simple stamp collectors as well as philatelists need to be able to neatly and attractively arrange their “treasures” in sets on album pages. Now that this is no longer possible without big health risks, I can see no future any longer for US philately. No responsible parent will permit his child to work with Benzene. While other big countries like e.g. Canada go out of their way to produce stamps of the most excellent quality, USPS has decided to go the other way. They completely lost their former patriotic pride for the national stamp program.

6. The Lottery for the Upright Jenny Stamp Sheetlet
    This idea was apparently copied from Australia Post. I used to have an almost complete collection of Australian stamps. However, when I learnt at the time that Australia Post was planning to intentionally produce “stamp rarities”, I immediately decided to stop collecting their stamps and sold my collecting.
    Philatelists try to make their collection as complete as possible within the budget they can afford. This is of course no longer possible when Australia Post or USPS decide to create artificial rarities whenever they feel like it.
    After 5. above, I had thought that USPS had done everything possible to harm US philately, however their creativity is endless when it comes to kill the cow which has produced so much milk for them for so many decades.

What types of activities would enhance support of the philatelic program?
    The answer to this question is dead easy:
    • Reverse the above foolish decisions.

• Replace the current members of the stamps advisory committee with US philatelists.
    You can be sure that they will produce an endless flow for the revival and steady growth of the philatelic program.

• If you wish to use lotteries as marketing methods to boost philatelic sales, you are most welcome to do so, but do it in a sensible manner like e.g. randomly granting purchase vouchers of say $50, $100 or $300 to your customers. By all means, never try to tell your customers what they should collect. If however you start listening to their needs, you will find it easy to make the right decisions.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   5 days 4 hours ago

I would normally use the kiosk, but doing anything at a government facility (i.e. Post Office) has become laborious. This week, I walk in, ready to use the kiosk. There are about 5 people lined up to use it, and 5 people waiting for the clerk at the counter. The kiosk had been "updated" and is now so complex, people are having trouble processing anything. So my post office has a full-time postal clerk standing at the kiosk helping each person navigate the kiosk, and one clerk at the counter helping people. There should be no need for a clerk at the kiosk. The kiosk should be simple enough so that people can navigate it by themselves. And both postal clerks should be at the counter helping people. I decided that the counter was a faster alternative for me, and it was. But when I get to the clerk, I am peppered with so many questions about my simple letter, that one almost feels like he's being criminally interrogated before he mails a simple letter. As if I can place a bomb or hazardous material in a ¼ ounce paper letter. And then I am now told I must press a "button" to confirm that what I said was true. And the Post Office if wondering why it is failing? Do the people in Washington have nothing else to do than come up with more complex kiosks and and barriers to mailing a simple letter? The USPS would not last a single day if it had to compete in the real world. And this is the reason why most government initiatives are complete failures. I could go on, but I think you understand exactly what I'm saying. I doubt my comments will even be read or posted. But again, that seems to have become the way of life in this once great country.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 4 hours ago

Given the upright now exists and that the USPS said only 100 were produced it is unlikely that you could produce more without finding yourself in court. My suggestion is place the remaining ones, that the fulfillment center has, in a public auction with all the proceeds going to the Philatelic Foundation and American Philatelic Society. In that way you would help the hobby.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 13 hours ago

This stamp was a fiasco from the beginning. 2 dollars? Why? To rip off collectors. It should have been a 49 cent stamp. It would have sold many millions. It would have made more money than this dumb idea of a created rarity. Creating rarities is dumb, it didn't work to sell more stamps, also numb.

The people who thought this up should be fired for incompetence.

Usps should have a philatelist board, to judge all things philatelic. And please don't tell me that the stamp advisory board fulfills this function. This is just a bunch of celebrities. When I say philatelists, I mean real philatelists. I have been collecting for 51 years, and have served on numerous professional boards and advisories. You want some professional people who have a proven track record of good judgment.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 14 hours ago

I feel this issue was a total mistake. Stamps given to people. Only a few made, for what? This does not make sense. I hope the USPS stops this non-sense and issue stamps in a fair and equitable way. I have supported the USPS. use the mail, but so many speculative issues, hurts us all. The USPS miscalculated this. they expected the public to rush to their post offices and buy these $12.00 sheets in droves. People are not stupid.

• Reply to: A Golden Opportunity?   5 days 14 hours ago

Absolutely the USPS should get involved and develop consumer driven financial services! Promote more broadly Postal Money Orders, check cashing, and walk-up bill pay along with online money transfers such as Pay Pal or Western Union respectively. The biggest threat to Postal financial services are Washington Lobbyist. That being said, and I cannot stress this enough is customer service training along with the proper computing tools, backup systems, and encryption protection! It makes sense, it is a Golden Opportunity.