• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

As a small town weekly paper - Subscription service has gone into the tank. from in County taking 2 - 3 days and carriers seeming to have the option to deliver or not. Our complaints have increased to the point we are wondering if maintaining our small subscription(under 500) list is worth it, costs have risen to the point that it has become a loss to maintain mail service. Our out of State subscribers have reported that delivery can take up to 10 days from our mailing date. Some have received 2 or three issues at once? Often people report receiving issues out of order.

We do legal advertising and without being able to insure that first class (which used to be one day delivery) can not be at the Court in a timely manner. This does not only impact us, but also the public at large that rely on our services.

Degrading service any further would not just create a hardship, but could force a closure of the paper. The loss of First Class as a timely alternative has only compounded the problem.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

We are a small weekly newspaper and we are seeing more complaints from customers. We recently received a letter from a subscriber who received her paper two weeks late (she blamed us). She is an out-of-state subscriber but the most interesting thing is she is located in South St. Paul, Minn. very close to the sort facility in Eagen, Minn., that our none local papers go to. She is threatening to cancel her subscription.

But newspaper delivery isn’t the only thing that is a problem. Paying bills and getting paid via mail has become a problem since Jan. 1. An in-town advertiser mailed us a check on Jan. 15 we received it in March. I mailed a check to the phone company a half a block away and it took a week to get there. We moved our payroll in-house because it was taking too long to get paychecks from our out-of-town accounting firm. Only problem is I now have to mail my paycheck to my out-of-town bank 45 miles away and it takes 7-10 days to get there (incidentally the town my bank is in is closer to our sort facility than we are). I’m not sure how lowering the standards from next day to two day delivery has changed the delivery so drastically but it has. Somehow two days translates into 7-10 or longer for the postal service.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

Newspapers in South Dakota are doing all they can within their power to offset degrading delivery of their products (exceptional dispatch, printing deadlines moved up, etc.), but I'm afraid it won't be enough. In a very rural state such as ours, the effects of consolidating processing plants and lowering delivery standards are taking their toll not only on newspapers but their communities as well. Reports of sporadic and delayed delivery continue to pop up among many South Dakota newspapers across the state. Timely universal delivery of mail in rural America is vital and I worry it's slipping away.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

We are a small twice weekly newspaper. We have always had delivery issues with our out of county addresses. As the processing centers have closed these problem have increased. People receive two newspaper issues at a time.
    We have never had issues with out in county postal deliveries. However, we are having more in county delivery issues now than ever. A few newspapers don't ever arrive. Some routes have mail not arriving at homes until as late at 6:00 p.m. We have had whole routes delivered a day late.
    We have also seen a drop in timeliness of mail coming to us.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

I must be sarcastic. Why did you not ask for responses to be mailed through the USPS? Could it be that you realize they would all arrive months later if they arrived at all. Still waiting for a check I mailed out in January to arrive in Ohio.

Since this wonderful consolidation plan, I have spoken to 15 different post masters at a minimum, and 75% of them responded with they (meaning the top dogs at the USPS) don't tell us anything. Or we do not get that information. Or that is above our paygrade. You have more than public disgust, you have internal disgust.

And concerning the check mailed to Ohio - it was for a health insurance premium- luckily they let me know by email that the policy would be discontinued - because if they had sent a letter by USPS, my husband would be without health insurance.

And this morning I received one of my weekly newspaper subscriptions which was mailed out 7 days ago. Have to admit that is an improvement - since my Feb 26 edition just arrived March 18th.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

It is taking consistently longer than two weeks to get our papers from southwestern North Carolina to our subscribers in Florida. They sometimes arrive out of sequence; sometimes several in one day. Calls to Florida postmasters indicate that the papers go out the day their post offices get them. Our local postmaster sends them out the day our local post office gets them. I called the help line and a "resolution agent" called me back, took my information and said he would check it out. I haven't heard from him in a week and a half. My understanding is that there is no longer a publication watch so we can trace a paper. Getting our newspapers to Florida has always been a problem, but it is getting worse. I handle several calls a week concerning poor delivery. Our subscribers are frustrated and are beginning to go to our E-edition only which of course hurts the post office bottom line even more.

• Reply to: Post Office Relocations: Having Your Say   1 month 3 days ago

Hello Leidy,

Thank you for taking the time to notify our offices of this occurrence.

The role of the USPS Office of Inspector General is to investigate waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS). Unfortunately, this issue falls outside of the jurisdiction of this office.

However, please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs Office at 1-800-275-8777, so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

Postal delivery was somewhat poor prior to the changes, but at this stage of the game it's worse than it's ever been. Subscribers in communities that are only 20 miles away wait four or five days to receive their paper and in some cases never receive it at all. Out of state subscribers are worse off. I had one subscriber in Texas who didn't receive his paper for three months. Address was correct. I pay $500 a week to send out my newspapers and when they don't arrive at all, this makes me angry. What happens to these papers that never get delivered? Perhaps I should request a postage due refund. Should the USPS lower their standards? I believe that started a long time ago.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 3 days ago

There is no question that the mail service has slowed down again. And that is impacting my business. It can take five days to get newspapers 30 miles into the next 3-digit zone. I hear from customers all the time, "Why would I want the news a week late? It's no good to me now. Why can't you get my paper delivered on time? I'm not going to renew by subscription." At our newspaper we are doing everything we can to speed up delivery. We use DDU, Exceptional Dispatch, CASS, CDS, Intelligent Mail Barcodes, and file our paperwork electronically. We have spent thousands of dollars to cooperate with the Postal Service. But the result is ever-slowing delivery. And as our newspaper loses customers, so does the USPS. I mail less, so I pay the USPS less. Rather than closing sorting centers, why not close tiny post offices. Here in Iowa you started to do that, but then quit. Why? I know that people in tiny towns don't like it, but they can be covered easily by rural or motor carriers. Tiny post offices have nothing to do with timely delivery of mail, and that should be paramount for the USPS.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 days ago

I think it's not an isolated incident. I sold stocks to buy merchandise from China. I wasn't close to being sold out of merchandise, but I needed to order before Chinese New Years. I guess China is closed for a month. I missed the deadline because it took the USPS 9 days to send a check from Omaha to Ontario, California. I read the postmark because I thought my broker dropped the ball.
    The irony is, now I have no merchandise and sales slow down from April until August. I ship majority of my products by priority, (Amazon ships by several methods, the products I fulfill I use priority) loss of sales for me is also a loss of sales for the USPS. If I would have known it would take an extra week to receive the Check, I would have asked to be paid by a different method. The USPS is fooling themselves if they think we won't notice the difference.

• Reply to: Post Office Relocations: Having Your Say   1 month 4 days ago

Hi, I need to help. My need to returns my backpack please the number track is 9405511699000418402994. Is since December 15th, 2014 I need my pack.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   1 month 4 days ago

Standard shipping was not an option on the kiosks. Why is this?

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 days ago

We have experienced severe degradation of service since January 2015. Our newspaper is prepared for maximum delivery outside our county, yet we find subscribers 30 miles away not receiving a paper for 7 days after it has been mailed. Also, first class has deteriorated greatly as well. There will be a large pile of mail one day, virtually nothing the next, and that cycle seems to repeat itself. Our local utility has experienced problems with customers not getting their bills on time. I understand the concept of the mail consolidation — my fear is that the service was not ready for it and is satisfied with delivery without any regard for maintaining service standards. That seems to be the case in Princeton, Ky. Our local post office does an excellent job, but the plants supplying mail here are sub-standard.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   1 month 4 days ago

Hello Michael,

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to contact our offices.

However, we have forwarded your message to the Postal Service Customer Service office. They will be able to assist you in this matter.

• Reply to: What service is most important to you?   1 month 4 days ago

Hello Edwin,

Thank you for taking the time to notify our offices of this occurrence and we apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced.

However, please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs Office at (212) 330-3667, so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 days ago

Hello Nancy,

Please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs Office by calling 1-800-275-877. They will be able to forward any issues that you may have with your service to the right department.

• Reply to: Passing up Passport Revenue?   1 month 4 days ago

Hello Edward,

However, please contact your local Postal Service Consumer Affairs Office at (414) 287-2530, so they can look further into this matter for you.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 days ago

Usually, with any government intervention, even if regulating certain entities or even supporting them, there will always be an increase in expenses and/or decreasing expenses to cause a decrease in customer services and quality You can't have one without the other, either they decrease expenses thus causing decrease in services and customer qualities, or they increase customer quality services thus causing increasing costs to them as well. There's always a "cause" and an "effect" no matter which way you go with it, and both ways falls on consumers' interests as well. But we still get our mail usually on the same time each day or sometimes earlier, depending on the letter carrier's delivery schedules. We've seen where our regular letter carrier that delivers our mail late in the day, and then either is on a sick day or vacation day, the replacement carrier delivers our mail a lot earlier than usual, by mid morning at times. So we know that we can get our mail a lot earlier for some reason than getting it delivered later. That's the only instance of customer satisfaction and service that we respond to; other than raising costs of stamps. Do we have a choice? Not much of one when the service has to provide something and to bring costs down they have to do something about it or costs start going up for customers and consumers. Decide the best way for customer assurance is all I can say.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 4 days ago

Concerning network consolidation and its effect on processing first class/standard letters. Currently at the Boise P&DC automation letter mail processing. We receive drop shipments of 3 digit & 5 digit letters.
    Prior to the realignment. We would run 3 digit & separate the 5 digit into containers. It is now ready to run on a DPS sort. The mail stayed at the machine since it will be sorted later in DPS sort. It was effective for maximizing through-put, and this method reduced unnecessary & repetitive handling.
    Now in march of 2015. The Boise P&DC runs 3 digit mail and replaces all (5 digit) direct mail trays into a container mixed with other 5(digit) direct trays. So now we have created an overwhelming burden on the low cost tray sorter by giving it back to the clerks at the low cost trays to handle it again for another time. Is this normal to give mail back to the clerks to separate it again even after we had already sorted it and separated it once. No wonder, according to the Sr. Plant Manager SLC District, 1 in every 5 pieces of first class letters are failing. My guess is that Boise Management is NOT sharing this unnecessary and false need for more clerks and/or overtime for automated letter processing.
    The burdensome problem is created on tour 2 and passed on to tour 3
    It does not have to be this way. But I am curious if this is a new norm at other processing centers as well. It is a significant amount of mail that is getting re-handled. If 1 machine has an average through-put of 95,000 per day. then 10 machines will generate 950,000 pieces of mail. To be sorted by hand as 5 digit trays 1 more time before it actually makes it to a machine for (DPS) 2 pass operations. It seems like a grotesque waste of time and money. Just curious if this is normal these days. I was hired in 1986.
    Phillip J. Corral

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 5 days ago

I believe the Postal Service has only one primary product to offer customers and that is service. The degradation of service standards is wrong. I am particularly dismayed that we no longer have overnight service, not even to our own town. This is a real step backwards for the Postal Service.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation: It Takes Two … Phases   1 month 5 days ago

It is taking 5-7 days for me to get local mail. Terrible servixce!!!

• Reply to: What service is most important to you?   1 month 6 days ago

Westfarm Station Post Office 10460 Bronx. The service so so disgraceful
    anytime they are 42 & 50 customer waiting with one window open.
    The delivery service I have to place delivery three time and I have to
    still have to go an pick it up, I am disable can I receive an answer

• Reply to: The Road to a New Delivery Fleet   1 month 6 days ago

I have just received an LLV this year and am from Maine and I do believe that if we are going to keep the same model of delivering all mail and packages everyday we need an all wheel drive. The LLV slides on as little as an inch of snow and can not get around well at all. Christmas time is a crutual time and stressful time for customers and they would like to see timely deliver for the packages and if we cannot get to them and they need to pick up, what kind of service are we offering to them.
    The LLV does leak and the packages are always covered in dust and snow. Need to definitely have a more air tight compartment. As had been a carrier since 1997, I feel that the delivery space of the LLV could have been a little more organized and equipped with areas of storage of all things needed to be the best carrier that we can. Including space for pens, hold cards, forwarding cards, and all other forms to perform our duties. The large tray in which deliver from is okay but could use some enhancements so we could utilize the space underneath better. We definitely need some heat and as far as summer I haven't got there yet. There are a lot of things I would love to change, sometimes I feel I was more organized out of my own vehicle.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   1 month 1 week ago

I am losing faith in USPS deliveries as it is becoming commonplace to find tracking numbers listed as "delivered to or at mailbox" which were NEVER delivered. I am told by the carriers that there are other homes with the same house number on them on different streets which is likely causing the problem. WHAT? It costs significant money and time for business owners. There is a true cost. To answer the question of whether or not I find the service reliable, the answer is less and less so. Online buying is being discouraged to the point that I will be willing to pay for commercial carriers to deliver my business supplies because the cost of doing so is cheaper than the time and money I'm losing now.

• Reply to: Fueling a Fleet   1 month 1 week ago

As noted by Andrew below, fuel cell mail trucks should be considered. At least a portion of the new mail trucks should be hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. A number of auto and bus companies are currently building fuel cell vehicles. It may be that only certain locations with the fuel necessary to produce the hydrogen is readily available at low costs should be considered at first.

Since the Postal Service doesn't appear to have the capital to build the refueling stations, they should consider partnering with private companies on this. That way, the private companies could furnish the fuel to the Postal Service and also to the public as the demand requires.

With all the push for "green" by this administration, fuel cells should definitely be a part of the new fleet!