• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 23 hours ago

I think it's a bad idea to sell the non-inverted sheets as a sort of lottery. I'm also very unhappy about the circus souvenir sheet only being available for purchase when buying the year set. What a rip off. I've been a stamp collector as long as I can remember and the USPS has made literally tens of thousands of dollars of pure profit from stamps I've bought that go directly into my collection/stock folders. If the USPS prints it, it should be available to everyone. This also means providing ALL stamps through Stamp Fulfillment. Stop gouging stamp collectors!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 23 hours ago

The Jenny issue has been a slap in the face to stamp collectors. I've bought way too many of these sheets and use them as quickly and as possible. If this "scam" is in fact illegal or improper under the Postal Services own rules, than why wasn't it stopped from even being put into production and marketed? This is really a matter of the USPS "eating it's own". It is perfidious how the non-invert 100 were "seeded" in such a despicable way. It is even more outrageous that the Postmaster General "gifts" sheets to customers. I buy consistently large orders from Stamp Services, but even I have a budget. Very bad judgment motivated by a blinding greed. I say Reprint the right side up version and to heck with the stamp dealers. Let freedom ring!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 23 hours ago

I felt from the start that the intentionally scarce upright Jenny sheets we a cheap gimmick, commercially exploitive, and uncharacteristic of the USPS. Must the USPS resort to hucksterism for survival? What's next, lotteries for stamps?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 23 hours ago

A stamp commemorating the Inverted Jenny was a nice idea, but like most everything the USPS has been doing, goes beyond any reasonable perspective. A $2.00 stamp was overboard. A souvenir sheet of 6 X $2.00 stamps was six times overboard. It could have been done in a much more measured way.

The gimmick of putting out 100 random non-inverted Inverted Jenny sheets went against every principle of philately that the USPS used to uphold. Instead of creating excitement, it created scandal. It was completely exploitive, and made the United States look like a cheap nation without any standards. And, of course, it really didn't work that well, either, which is not a surprise.

If the USPS is making stamp decisions with any philatelists' input, it doesn't show. Any philatelist would have warned against this tawdry scheme.

If the USPS thinks it's going to realize huge gains from retention of the Inverted Jenny sheets, I would like to note that I have bought a number of sheets and use them as much as I can on mailings -- because that's what stamps are actually for, to mail things. They are not going to be hoarded. Those days are over, nobody is going to be investing in large amount of U.S. .postage like people did before.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   5 days 23 hours ago

As someone who regularly purchases items online and have them shipped to my home, I don't understand why this outdated law mandating only USPS can use my mailbox is still in effect today. I'd be much more confident in the security of my packages if all deliveries to my house went in my mailbox rather than sitting on my front porch for anyone to see. Fortunately, I live in a safe neighborhood in Iowa and do not have a problem receiving my deliveries, but it seems to make much more sense to receive deliveries through my mailbox.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 23 hours ago

Dear Postmaster General:
    Thank you for your concern regarding the issuance of inverted Jenny along with 100 intentionally produced upright Jenny stamp sheets. I think the Postal Service erred in this issuance. I do not believe that the inverted Jenny was worth issuing and then to have the Postal Service intentionally issue 100 sheets of an "error" version of the stamp borders on criminal activity. I feel the Postal Service should never intentionally issue an error version of a stamp and they should also never flood the market with error versions if an unintentional error is found.

Please pursue this matter and please see that the Postal Service implements controls so that we do not have these types of issues in the future and that they follow their own rules already in place.

While on the subject of stamp issues, I also believe that the Postal Service is printing far too many copies of far too many various varieties of far to many different subjects each year. I believe this is being done to generate financial support of the Postal Service on the backs of collectors because our congress will not take appropriate action to allow the needed streamlining of the Postal Service in this day of changing communication methods.

Thanks for the help and Best Regards;

Tom Geren
    (collecting since 1957)

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   5 days 23 hours ago

I think it is terrible that the USPS has printed stamps that is not available to the general public. As a stamp collector it is bad that they create a rarity that is highly priced on the secondary market. All stamps issued by the USPS should be readily available to order and secure without the need to purchase additional stamps. It is no way for the USPS to encourage us stamp collectors and appears to just be another example of the USPS extracting additional funds from the public. It is a terrible situation that should be addressed and remedied by the USPS to be more customer focused and friendly.

• Reply to: Rethinking Mailbox Access   6 days 4 min ago

I think that lifting the restrictions on mailboxes would be a terrible idea. I have been letter carrier since 1988. Some mailboxes are so small that you can barely fit a standard electric or telephone bill in it. Some customers use their mailbox to store things like spools for grass trimmers. I have also had to deal with new businesses putting fliers n the mailbox (a loss of direct mail revenue).

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 6 min ago

the PO forgets the furor of the Farley era when Jim Farley and FDR gave samples of the national parks issues to friends
    complete with autographs, etc and had to reprint the "Farley issues" in the late 30s and the missing color that was reprinted so "each kid collector" could have a treasure in their collection. The PO should issue stamps properly and
    when an error happens let it be instead of non collectors coming up with ideas that just compound the problem.

I have collected for over 70 years and learned to count to 5 on the Army-Navy issue and had to learn to go to 10 on
    the parks. If the PO continues to issue the commems that they are now issuing and get them to all the Post Offices and
    made it easier for ordinary patrons to purchase the instead of setting the computers to make it hard to sell commems to the general public we would have more people enjoying the hobby. Make it easy for kids of all ages
    to soak and collect they will get more collectors and move more stamps. Remember the commem quarters, you don't have to buy a whole roll to get one.

It is tough enough to make little pieces of paper compete with electronic images for beginers so lets not make it
    more difficult than it is.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 7 min ago

This should never be done again. It makes a mockery of stamp collecting. It is no better than what Jim Farley did as FDR s Post Master General and the remedy should be the same. The marketer who thought this up have commercialized philately in a way which has harmed every US collector. We are now obliged to guess what the PO will do next instead of research the intracacies of history.
    This was a monumental mistake base on ignorance of the history of collecting

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 16 min ago

While the creation of intentional rarities is not something that should ever be done by a legitimate postal service, this one has been done. The remaining sheets being held need to be distributed or those that are already our there will become even scarcer (and more highly manipulated). This type of tactic needs to be avoided in the future.
    My biggest concern, however (which has not been addressed to my knowledge), is that the inverts were printed by fixed-plates; that is, a single printing sleeve with the blue and red inked in by rollers. To produce 100 non-invert panes, this means that an entirely new printing sleeve had to be created, with a separate press run. This is not an inexpensive process. Has this aspect been examined?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 17 min ago

I think the upright Jenny was a terrible idea. The USPS should create stamps solely to accommodate the needs of the mailing public. Using the stamp program to serve promotional or marketing goals is diversionary and ultimately harmful to stamp collecting, because it alienates old-school stamp collectors like myself without bringing new collectors to fill the void. I started collecting U.S. stamps in 1945 when the Presidential series was in wide use. Abuse of the stamp program by marketing-oriented USPS hucksters caused me to stop collecting new U.S. stamps sometime in the 1990s. I now concentrate on 19th century U.S. stamps. No intentional errors there, and no Elvises.

• Reply to: A Golden Opportunity?   6 days 20 min ago

Dear Sirs and Ladies of the Inspector General's office-I am strongly in favor of having postal baking for 2 reasons. First reason is that postal banking can help 68 millions of people who normally can't get banking normally. The second reason is that postal banking can get much needed revenue for the postal service. At least 1.1 billions of new dollars can be added to the revenue of the post office. I see that as a very good thing for the postal service. Thank you for allowing me to have imput in this issue. Good day.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 29 min ago

I do not like the idea of actually manufacturing stamp errors. However, I do appreciate the idea behind the "Jenny Gimmick"; the USPS wanted to manufacture excitement, and it did. For the first time in years, I actually saw a major news source (CBS) have a segment on stamp collecting. It was a great segment. We need more of that PR. It would also be nice to have a "normal" stamp collector on the advisory board. I am not sure that we have that now. I do know that we have to get young people excited about this great hobby or our future stamp shows are all going to be held in Good Samaritan Homes.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 31 min ago

I thought the whole thing was a fun idea--but poorly executed. There are not many everyday uses for the $2.00 stamps. I have bought many of the sheets in hopes of getting a right-side-up Jenny, and now I'm stuck with stamps that I can use only on packages. Further, I now learn that my local post office probably wan't on the list to get these stamps in the first place. It was unethical (and problably illegal) marketing.

The whole project would have been ten times more effective if the stamps had been 49-cent stamps. Then everyone could have participated in the fun without having unused and unusable stamps lying in a drawer. Read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for ideas on how to get people excited about this kind of promotion.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 33 min ago

I'd just like to take this matter off in a slightly different direction. I am the artist that designed and fabricated the neon that became the image for the very popular Celebrate Forever stamp. I believe the postmaster has a poster of this stamp hanging in her office. I propose we redo the inverted Jenny image in neon. The original inverted Jenny and my stamp have both set precedents so the combination of image and rendering medium, I believe would result in an amazing collectible stamp! I can render the aircraft as a 3-Dimensional object within the flat plane of the surrounding design and it would be photographed to replicate the original configuration. I think it is worth thinking about!

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 34 min ago

We live in a country where lotteries and gambling are an accepted fact of life. Why on Earth can't the Post Office use a promotion like this to draw attention to collecting stamps? The old rule of not creating a rarity may be obsolete. I am all for creating the fun of a treasure hunt. What could do a better job of firing up interest in this wonderful hobby and also raising awareness of the USPS, especially at a time when the government seems bound and determine to let it wither on the vine?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 41 min ago

I object to the USPS issuing stamps or other USPS artifacts with the intention that they are creating a rarity for collectors. The upright Jenny was a huge mistake in my opinion. Things that are "created" for collectors eventually become non-collectable. The upright Jenny is an exception in that it is so limited, and with a popular topic, that someone will pay the price. If the USPS carried the logic to an extreme, issue say 10 copies of a particular design every years and auction them off through eBay. Most serious collectors wouldn't be interested. Speculators would be all over it followig the "bigger fool" theory.

One suggestion I have for the USPS to enhance phiatelic interest is counter-intuitive. Reduce the number of new issues per year substantially. Not only should that save the USPS some costs, but it would reduce the annual expenditure a collector would have to pay to obtain all the issues for that year.

And please go back to soakable stamps so that used stamps off paper can be collected. Younger collectors and those who can't afford to tie up funds in mint, unused stamps might then be enticed to collect stamps if they were readily available as used stamps.

One final suggestion: Offer printed album pages for the year for all the stamps issued that year. With a reduced number of new stamps per year, the number of pages could be small and the cost to a collector would be small. If the pages were offered in small size format as well as large size format, that might get some interest. In addition, USPS could offer the pages in digital format off their website for free so that a collector could print their own pages on whateve stock sheets they wanted.

AL

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 45 min ago

It pleases me greatly that your office has taken interest in the restricted upright Jenny sheet issue. My immediate reaction to the first news of the limited quantity was one of sincere concern that it would accomplish exactly the opposite of the intent . . . . to create interest in USPS products and U S philately. Both philately and numismatics,
    the collection and study of coins and medals, are suffering from a real drought of new, young adherents, due to all the amazing outlets for free time activity made available by the explosion of electronics technology. I recently attended an annual first day cover show in Columbus OH. I don't think anyone in that hotel event room was under the age of 40 years during the more than two hours I was in attendance. When instant rarities are created, absolutely beyond the reach of the great majority of collectors for all time, I think a negaticve impression is cast in concrete. The deck is stacked, ensuring there is no possibility of aspiring to a complete collection inmany categories,
    U S special sheets, aircraft on stamps, the issues of the particular year, modern issues by contract printers, etc. The United States Mint has been in the limited edition business, as well, with low mintages and, unique, never before used, finishes on Silver Eagle coins. The whole concept of limited special issues, and the limited edition Circus sheet is another example, is, in very simple term, undemocratic. Why should agencies of the peoples' government be in the business of limiting emissions and
    making just some citizens special profiteers?

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 51 min ago

I think this could reflect another Farley scenario. The only just thing would be to mass produce these sheets to devalue those given inappropriately to friends and family of certain Postal Service employees. Further, prosecution should be sought against anyone suspected of breaking the law.

In general, I am not a fan of the Postal Service creating lottery type promotional events.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 54 min ago

I buy stamps only from the Kansas City fulfillment center. I purchased a number of the invert sheets with a limited hope of getting one of the right-side-up sheets. I feel that fraud has occurred in this matter - both in how specific post offices were selected or not selected to receive the upright sheets as well as how the remaining upright sheets were not mixed in with the general population of inverted sheets at the fulfillment center. It is my guess that the person(s) responsible for this will keep their jobs another 10 or 20 years and retire with full honors - despite the fraud.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 56 min ago

I agree with Stuart, reprinting the un-inverted stamps with the date of 2015(2016) would be a step in the right direction. It would devalue the originals slightly which would not be nice for the few that have found them or bought them from auction, but would provide an opportunity for the average collector to obtain one. I also would like to weigh in on the numerous varieties of the same stamp issued. No one needs the same stamp issued as a forever stamp, but also as a denominated stamp, pick one and go with it. Nor do we need five different perforations for each definitive stamp issued. All the USPS is doing by making these numerous varieties of the same image is trying to make money off of collectors, yet it is this very reason that has driven myself (and several other collectors I know) to quit collecting current issued stamps. So the plan is to make money, but is it really accomplishing this with fewer people buying the current issues? Lastly many of the current issued stamps are not worthy of collecting. Their topics are boring, the portraits and prints are ugly, or the quotations are incorrect, which only distracts from those previously honored on postage stamps for valid reasons, rather than another .50 cents of revenue.

Thanks for the invitation to voice our opinions though, I feel it is a step in the right direction.

Ron

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 1 hour ago

I feel that the way this stamp issue has been handled brings discredit to the USPS and collectors who spent their hard earned money in the forlorn hope of receiving one of the non inverted special panes. Immediate refunds should be given to all who purchased this farce, and would like their money back because of this false and mis leading stamp program. For once do what is right!

Also I would like to see more historical themes on stamps and less movie characters.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 1 hour ago

Now only was the production of these intentional rarities wrong, but the distribution process was dishonest. I bought numerous copies of the sheet (at $24 each I might add) thinking there was a random distribution of the non-inverts through the population. The availability of these was neither evenly distributed nor random.
    The office of the Inspector General should require the postal service to make amends by producing and distributing additional non-inverted stamps. Yes, speculators will lose money, but that's why they're call speculators.
    As your office and Postal Regulations note, the postal service should not be in the business of creating rarities, Appropriate remedial action and reparations needs to be ordered.

• Reply to: Jenny Come Lately   6 days 1 hour ago

I think that with all the technology and the way things are printed, this is an intentional act by postal employee. I worked in the printing industry for a number of years, and for only a few to end up upright is very difficult. Off set of printing plates does happen when the registry does not a line. But with computer alignment it is hard.