• Reply to: Envisioning the Future   5 years 6 months ago

You know what else people love? FREE STUFF! AND COOL "SPONSORED-UP" stuff like RACE CARS and BASS BOATS. I have seen people put adds on there own things just for the look! Even I can go on line and apply for sponsors to pay for mods to my car that I use every day. I even noticed people buying jackets that made them look like race car drivers. The USPS can do this too. If you can wrap a car or boat....then you can wrap an envelope. WITH SPONSORS. It seems to me that businesses would be willing to pay for a spot on something that would get attention from the huge customer base that the USPS can offer. Customers would notice when they sealed it and then once again when it was received. People have gotten so numb to saturation mailers and all the other "JUNK", that they just throw them away without even looking twice. If its a letter from dear ole mom...then they pay attention. And remember dear ole mom got the envelope for FREE! People remember the name of companies and businesses when they think they are getting more from the business than they do when its the other way around. Big businesses could even design, print, and pay for their own envelopes to give away if they choose. Either way the USPS is getting paid. I have thrown this idea around with many people and everyone seems to love it. If you put some thought into this you may see how many avenues this idea could take you. It could even be a 5 cent envelope. Whatever the case, I think its possible anyway.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

"Given the variety of customers and types of transactions, the need for a uniform approach to customers is important."

The above sentence is the problem. Doesn't a variety of customers and a variety of transactions necessitate a variety of approaches? The above statement is mired in a process over results, one-size-fits-all mentality. It's why lines move slow and customers are pissed.

There is a need for a shopper program, but not for disciplinary reasons, rather for ways to enhance the customer's experience with the Postal Service. The shopper will need to pay attention to the customers, as well as the employees. If the Postal Service wants to remain viable and relevant in the current economic climate, accommodating the customer -- as opposed to the customer accommodating the Postal Service -- is the way to go.

• Reply to: Envisioning the Future   5 years 6 months ago

I agree with the miss-handling of parcels. It seems that with the fluctuations of mail volumes, the clerks end up short-handed at the wrong times and one may start to "throw" parcels for a moment then to have to leave and perform another duty. Upon returning (if it is the same clerk) they clerk may have forgotten about the small fragile or do not bend parcel and unintentionally place or "throw" another larger or more heavy parcel on top of it. Once it is out of sight it is out of mind. I have had to personally apologize to customers for damaged parcels on several occasions. It is very embarrassing. especially with all the BAD MEDIA we have been getting. Maybe the "throwing" of parcels and the use of a big white hamper for a catchers mitt should get a make over.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 6 months ago

Seems like a good idea. Money transfers, pay per page faxes, pay per minute e-mail stations....not everyone has the luxury of fax machines, but need documents transferred in a HURRY! Talk about EXPRESS!

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

the current mystery shopper program must be eliminated... it is a turn-off to the customers and makes the usps/clerks look stupid. it is annoying to all those involved, employees and patrons. a better idea (than suggesting every possible service to every possible customer every time they set foot in a PO) would be to take turns, weekly or monthly, high-lighting/recommending our various services.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

The mystery shopper program is a complete waste of customer's time. I stopped going to the PO because I feel like I am at a used car lot. I only patronize UPS stores to mail my letters and packages. I now buy my stamps at Costco. I am tired of getting harassed every time I try to mail a greeting card to a family member.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

for goodness sakes, you are tying retail clerks hands with this program, window clerks know how to do their jobs and do them well, while there are always those that arent so great, the majority are. instead of serving customers and chatting with them, i have to ask 30 questions and try to sell them overnight, which nobody wants except for the people that ask about it, knowing thats exactly what they want. you cut retail jobs, and then expect the ones left to serve the customers well and in a timely manner, then dump this garbage on them, not only that but it costs millions of dollars, that i guarantee arent being made back from "up selling". not only that but the apwu, along with naps and napus have all joined in the call to get rid of this system, but some ego maniac at a desk is insisting on keeping this going so they can justify their own job. get rid of it, and let the clerks do their jobs.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

I recently mailed a small parcel. At the beginning of the customer visit I told the retail clerk that the parcel contained only books. She offered me Priority Mail and Express Mail rates and associated special services. Parcel post rates were not quoted, but I could see them on the cusotmer display. I had to ask the retail clerk for the media mail rate--twice--before she would provide the quote. I mailed my parcel at the lowest available rate, medial mail.

• Reply to: Business Reply Mail   5 years 6 months ago

I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate individuals at OIG.
    thanks

• Reply to: Business Reply Mail   5 years 6 months ago

I understand your frustration and unfortunately you are not alone in your complaints. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate individuals at OIG.
    thanks

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity Part 2   5 years 6 months ago

Ben Franklin says the system is not broke; Ben Franklin is wrong. Think of a lean, productive, effective organization, like many that are state-of-the art today. Whether a Postal Service like such an organization could survive in the long term is questionable. But it is not questionable whether the Postal Service of today is such an organization. The gap is large!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity Part 2   5 years 6 months ago

Those in low cost areas love the current system while those in high cost areas are being mistreated. The bottom line is that in any sensible organization, wages vary based on the local cost of living.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity Part 2   5 years 6 months ago

Wages should increase based on the current COLA formula, along with longevity increases. Additionally, there should be a Locality Pay that is uniform across the board for GS, WG, SES, PS, MH, and all other Federal pay scales.

• Reply to: How Should the Postal Service Sell Its Products?   5 years 6 months ago

As a customer of USPS, I would appreciate retail clerks at the PO to inform me of the best cost to send. I absolutely RESENT a business who has their hands in my pocket as soon as I walk in the door! Its a matter of trust. I want to feel as if they are looking out for me as well. They need my business, I need their services, lets keep it simple. I would suggest "extra services" windows at PO for those who have questions regarding their shipments. With alot of the available employees on "standby" there should be no reason customers should have to wait inside the customer service lobbys. Get all the clerks trained on retail sales. Make the premium products comparable to Fed Ex and UPS. Please make sure managers in area offices AND plant operations constantly keep on top of Express and delivery comfirmations...this seems to wax and wane depending on the amount of pressure to perform. Employees bid on different positions within a plant and their expertise on these products does not go to the next employee without any "real training" resulting in product failures. Managers should keep on it and have accountability with it. Or else the products are waste. Would it hurt managers to learn and perform scanning and tracking processes so they are aware of the products importance? In addition, the Post Office is at every household every day, as an employee of the USPS, we are a walking, talking advertisement to every person in the US. Could we not contract with companies to pitch their products as well as our own? While customers are in lobbies, do we have screens they can view as they are waiting in line? For a certain product..either ours or a clients? (fee based) Would this be to much red tape? Is there a clerk at the window who can assist customers bring in their packages? Do we have an "EXPRESS" window for those only mailing Express mail (especially during holidays) And the simplest question, of which I partially have an answer for, why cant those window clerks at least smile and show a little gratitude to the customers? I rarely visit a post office where the clerk is glad to do business. In fact, I will not go back to a business if I am treated as if I am imposing on some time they might have had if I had not interrupted....but I try to buy only USPS because I am an employee. I will not buy from a business who just contributes to me having a bad day. Come on "lets step it up"

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity Part 2   5 years 6 months ago

Quit screwing with a system that is not broke!!!!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 6 months ago

So with you on that...People do not realize what it is like driving , delivering mail , packages , & flyers.. Everytime we get one new rule , they brake 2 more...Contract is almost irrelevent.. We do have a good job , but with alot of people who take it for granted.. by means of customer service. Long gone are the days that people HAD to HAVE the post office. I think we're all going to have to give a little.. It's just a matter of how much..That includes the post office.

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity Part 2   5 years 6 months ago

Another alternative is to use a formula based on national wage averages from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. (e.g. 75th percentile for Salary for locality * full employment rate of locality) Also you may want to average the past three years for smoothing. Also, you may want to guarantee that a person's salary will not decrease.

• Reply to: Mail Transport Equipment—Inventory Management and Loss Prevention   5 years 6 months ago

Just bumped into this thread and wanted to add a little. I'm a mailhandler for 23 yrs,who worked empty equipment 9 years for 50 AOs. I've noticed a recent change over, back to fiber pallets during this 09 summer for the usps.

Heard of this problem last year(missing plastic pallets).As a small time stock investor, ive followed small companies,some of which were claiming to converting plastic back to oil,as plastic is an oil product.

I've no specific information, but this is just another avenue to look at,as it was my first thought back when i first heard of the problem and oil was $140 bbl.

Being the plastic pallet is 20 yrs old to the USPS and we didn't realize a problem till last year or so.Perhaps this offers another avenue for investigation. Maybe the amount of plastic pallet losses can be tracked side by side with the price of oil.

Just a thought!!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 6 months ago

it's called COLA

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 6 months ago

i may be wrong, but i think to receive the ssi supplement you have to be minimum retirement age and 30 years in the post office. you may want to double check on this before you retire.

"pick up a few parcels"? What about the spr's? My average parcel count per mgt is three a day. I can count the times I have had less than ten in a day because i kept copies of the days I was inspected. Any other day, 15 spr's and 10 that won't fit in a bag.
    Marriage mail and all it's droppings will foul things up. Will there still be third bundle flats?
    Anything postcard and smaller has to be sorted before the street cuz they don't sort well in the DPS, how many such issues will the FSS have?
    Mgt keeps coming up with new acronyms for the workers to ridicule!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas Part 2   5 years 6 months ago

That 's what I say ! If the Union does NOT like that ......... let them find themselves another job......outside the USPS.

Thank God I've saved up my Sick leave all these years! Guess they'll be coming in handy NOW!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 6 months ago

WARNING: DO NOT POST TO THIS BLOG
    THIS SITE IS BELONGS TO THE OIG...YOU ARE BEING WATCHED & RECORDED. LOG OFF!

• Reply to: Nationwide Wage Uniformity   5 years 6 months ago

The craft wages are set by a negotiated contract. End of story. UPS and FedEx are not required to deliver to every address in the country. No comparison needed. I find this blog one of the worst cases of fraud waste and abuse in the Postal Service. Who do report this to? OIG should stick to investigating criminals and leave this VOE like survey nonsense for Postal Management. No wonder everyone things the OIG is sleeping in the same bed as management.